Why are we so emotional when we reply to threads?

Rickoshay75

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 04:55 pm
@reasoning logic,
Many of us seem to be very emotional when we discuss a topic.
Knowing that emotions hinder clear thinking why do we continue to act out emotional in academic discussions that we are trying to learn and share points of views about?>>

Tough question. I suppose we get over emotional (angry, offended, overly defensive when the subject hits a hot button. It's that way with me
0 Replies

ikillyou

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 10:56 am
@reasoning logic,
sometimes i accidentally press the capslock button
some people think im being loud and emotional but im just a bad typer
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 10:58 am
http://mlkshk.com/r/HIO4
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 11:04 am
@Irishk,
Also, I think some readers may interpret a post as "emotional" as angry or insulting when the poster had no such intent.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 04:50 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Many of us seem to be very emotional when we discuss a topic.
Knowing that emotions hinder clear thinking why do we continue to act out emotional in academic discussions that we are trying to learn and share points of views about?

Expressed anger is one kind of response of a hot button issue --- other responses are -- forced humor, bait and switch, blame the messenger, cherry picking, and, the most often --- no response.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 05:47 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
Expressed anger is one kind of response of a hot button issue --- other responses are -- forced humor, bait and switch, blame the messenger, cherry picking, and, the most often --- no response.

I seem to agree with your philosophy. Wink
0 Replies

anonymously99stwin

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 08:33 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
"Many of us seem to be very emotional when we discuss a topic. Knowing that emotions hinder clear thinking why do we continue to act out emotional in academic discussions that we are trying to learn and share points of views about?"

Some do some don't.

I feel mental health plays it's role.

My advice is to allow love to conquer the mind. Be sensitive.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 12:38 pm
The whole notion of trying to "win" a debate, as if that somehow validates one's truth claim seems false to me. I get no pleasure (now in my old age) from trying to put down others; and I would feel the pain of guilt if I succeeded. When I am provoked to anger I most often just withdraw from the thread.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 01:38 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
The whole notion of trying to "win" a debate, as if that somehow validates one's truth claim seems false to me. I get no pleasure (now in my old age) from trying to put down others; and I would feel the pain of guilt if I succeeded.
I 'd rather see bad reasoning be defeated.

JLNobody wrote:
When I am provoked to anger
I most often just withdraw from the thread.
Some of us prefer to stomp on the offender.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 09:57 am
In my opinion, I view many threads as a time-machine back to the mid 20th century when there were some neighborhoods that had a reputation for being hostile to many. Fighting occurred between residents, and hostility towards many outsiders. Some might even have a desire to maintain a macho image, since they cannot do that in real life, in my opinion. Again in my opinion, rather than a tough neighborhood, a snake-pit might be a better comparison?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2014 12:33 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
In my opinion, I view many threads as a time-machine back to the mid 20th century when there were some neighborhoods that had a reputation for being hostile to many. Fighting occurred between residents, and hostility towards many outsiders. Some might even have a desire to maintain a macho image, since they cannot do that in real life, in my opinion. Again in my opinion, rather than a tough neighborhood, a snake-pit might be a better comparison?
I don t think that the forum is like a snake pit.
It is nicer. Just speaking for myself:
I don t wanna "maintain a macho image"
neither here nor in the real world.
I just try to be pleasant, most of the time.

(Admittedly, I must confess to having little expertise in snake pits; I m no herpetologist.)

David
anonymously99stwin

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Anyone notice how men can be the main reason for gossiping drama queens. Rhetorical question.
0 Replies

anonymously99stwin

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2014 12:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
10 Ways Stress Affects Women's Health

Carolyn Gregoire
The Huffington Post
01/30/13 06:25 PM ET
Although much has been made of the different ways that men and women respond to stress ("fight or flight" vs. "tend and befriend"), there are also substantial discrepancies in how stress impacts women's health as compared to men's.
Studies have found that women differ from men not only in their emotional responses to stress, but also that acute and chronic stress may take a greater toll on womens' physical and mental health.
When reacting to stressors, the body releases hormones such as cortisol, which is known to impact the immune system, digestive system, skin and more -- andcortisol responses to psychological stress have also been shown to differ between men and women. Stress can affect nearly every system in the body, and it may be undermining your health in more ways than you realize. Scroll through the list below for 10 physiological and cognitive effects of stress on women's health.
When reacting to stressors, the body releases hormones such as cortisol, which causes a temporary increase in energy production, sometimes at the cost of other bodily process not required for immediate survival, such as digestion and immune system function. In women, these hormone changes impact bodily processes in unique ways, which can lead to short- and long-term health problems.

LOOK: 10 Ways Stress Can Hurt Women's Health

1. Reduced Sex Drive Major life events that cause stress, like starting a new job or moving to a new city, may lower libido,according to Dr. Irwin Goldstein, M.D. This can occur when elevated levels of cortisolsuppress the body’s natural sex hormones.

2. Irregular Periods Acute and chronic stress can fundamentally alter the body's hormone balance, which can lead to missed, late or irregular periods. Researchers have also found that women in stressful jobs are at a 50 percent higher risk for short cycle length (less than 24 days) than women who do not work in high-stress positions.

3. Acne Breakouts Raised levels of cortisol in the body can cause excess oil productionthat contributes to the development of acne breakouts. A 2003 study observed that female college students experienced more breakouts during exam periods due to increased stress.

4. Hair Loss Significant emotional or psychological stress can cause a physiological imbalance which contributes to hair loss. Stress can disrupt the life cycle of the hair, causing it to go into its falling-out stage. While you may not notice hair loss during or immediately following a period of stress, the changes can occur three to six months later.

5. Poor Digestion Prolonged stress can greatly impact the digestive system byincreasing stomach acid, causing indigestion and discomfort, and in some cases contributing to the development of IBS and ulcers. Reducing stress is key to maintaining a healthy digestive system,according to womenshealth.gov.

6. Depression Women are twice as likely to experience depression as men, and recent research has looked to differing stress responses and stress reactivity between the sexes to explain this discrepancy. Elevated levels of cortisol resulting from the chronic stress of a long-term, low grade job stress or the acute stress of a difficult life event like death or divorce can act as a trigger for depression.

7. Insomnia Most of us know the feeling of tossing and turning at night, thinking over the events of the day or problems at work. Unsurprisingly, stress is a common cause of insomnia, which can in turn lead to difficulty concentrating, irritability and a lack of motivation.

8. Weight Gain Research has linked higher levels of cortisol to a lower waist-to-hipratio in women (i.e. more weight around the belly area), as well as a decreased metabolism. High stress levels are also correlated with increased appetite and sugar cravings, which can lead to weight gain.

9. Decreased Fertility While further research is needed to better clarify the link between stress and fertility, recent studieshave found that women with high levels of alpha-amylase, an enzyme linked to stress, had a more difficult time getting pregnant. Women with the highest concentration of the enzyme during their menstrual cycle were 12 percent less likely to conceive than women with the lowest concentration of alpha-amylase.

10. Increased Risk Of Heart Disease And Stroke According to a 2012 study of over 22,000 women, women under high amounts of stress at work were 40 percent more likely to experience a cardiovascular event (a heart attack or stroke) than women who reported low levels of job-related stress. Strokes are also more common among individuals with with stressful lives and tightly-wound personalities.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2585625
0 Replies

trishathelizardqueen

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 05:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
lol....this is a funny thread topic Lol
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 09:11 am
Catharsis
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 11:20 pm
Let's face it: much of the emotional content of the internet is goading. It's controlled and personal. Then there are people who cross paths on the internet and find that internet relations are much like real relations and that there are personality clashes on line just as there are in person.

Often, I try to like people with whom I have clashes. Always backfires

north

Reply Fri 22 May, 2015 09:57 pm
@plainoldme,

Why are we so emotional when we reply to threads ?

Because some have the answer that you wish you thought of or were capable of and it pisses them off when they know your post eliminates their thinking completely.

I have been through both . Good answer , bad answer .

I found it is better to grow your thinking , evolve your thinking , than to be stagnant , in your thinking .

And admit when you are wrong .....hard to do , but it will take a load off your thinking . Therefore you can move on

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 22 May, 2015 10:19 pm
On the catharsis angle: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evil-deeds/200909/anger-and-catharsis-myth-metaphor-or-reality

Quote:
Dr. Markman and others argue against "catharsis," concluding that it only causes a person to become more angry than before. In support of his position, he cites a certain experimental study conducted in 1999...However, concluding, as Dr. Markman and others seem to, that catharsis is never helpful is incorrect....But the verbalization must be directly connected to and rooted in the true source of the anger. When such anger is acknowledged and verbally expressed, it can clear the way to discovering that which caused it in the first place....
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 08:53 am
@reasoning logic,
Always assumed the more emotional replies come from people more convinced one way or the other. If a thread is "God doesn't exist" and people spew profanity and such in it, the assumption is they agree, but hate the OP for saying it. Smile
0 Replies

annaluv

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 11:54 pm
@reasoning logic,
because emotions are human
0 Replies