Focus! Getting the Squirrels Out of Your Head

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 09:31 am
Pretty interesting pair of articles in the Globe this week. One is on a scientific means developed to try to get people to focus better and not procrastinate so much (See: https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2018/02/20/how-science-fixed-wandering-mind/mNGWEabvxGQWO1rUK7i7UJ/story.html). The other is on five ways to develop better focus on your own (See: https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2018/02/20/can-focus-try-these-attention-hacking-tips-stay-task/Sph4feWfggnjKYI6ZoI4UJ/story.html).

These articles hit a paywall after a few views, so here are their 5 methods:
  1. Stop stressing. Stress makes you lose focus.
  2. Find a hobby. Make it something relaxing and enjoyable that you need to focus on. Knitting, chess, or painting (for example) would all make the cut. TV watching is too passive.
  3. Practice your hobby — a lot. So take your knitting on the bus, or go to the park and play chess against all comers, or take a painting class, etc.
  4. Meditate. They say 40 minutes/week or 10 minutes every other day. If you can't sit still, then 'moving meditation' can work which means a repetitive physical activity not requiring a lot of detailed thought, such as swimming, yoga, or walking. I imagine riding a stationary bike or doing a bunch of push-ups could also fit the bill.
  5. Take regular breaks. These have to be a total distraction from what you're doing, so listen to a song or go outside for five minutes.
In particular, the science article says rejuvenating attention can happen from viewing a natural scene (and looking at city scenes evidently has no effect). So visit the park for your quick walk, if you can.

Anyways, I thought the concept was pretty cool and interesting. What do you do to keep your focus, A2Kers?

Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:43 am
Focus? Hmmm . . . you didn't see my glasses anywhere, did you? They're not where I usually leave them. What is the question again?
jespah

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:48 am
@Setanta,
Psst your glasses are on top of your head.
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:04 pm
@jespah,
Im still trying to figure out what the big deal about "mindfulness" is all about.

IIs our population so strung out that they need instructions?
chai2

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:20 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

IIs our population so strung out that they need instructions?

Apparantly.

It's called "Making a BIG DEAL Out of Every ******* Thing Syndrome"

Wow, who'd of thunk it? Relax with a hobby.

"Practice" your hobby often?
Great, an invitation to schedule a time to do something you like, for X amount of time, so you can stress and have guilt over whether or not you were able to accomplish it.

I'll never forget a topic of A2K where the subject was childrens "Play Dates", I term I abhor. I was asking what the difference was between that and "I'm going over to a friends house to play." I also asked when kids were supposed to lay around and look at the clouds. I'm serious as a heart attack when I say the poster, an A2Ker that had a young kid at that time responded "Oh, we schedule time for that."

Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:57 pm
@jespah,
Oh . . .

. . . of course.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 01:38 pm
@chai2,
Yeh. nd they have an almost derogatory term for kids who dont schedule when they go pottee. My kids were called "free range" and I was damn proud of em.

Could it be I was born a century too late?
How bout you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 01:46 pm
On weekends, and in the summer time, my grandmother had work for us to do in the morning. We'd have lunch, and then she'd run us out of the house--saying that she wouldn't hold supper for us. We made it back on time.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 01:52 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
...when are kinds supposed to lay around and look at the clouds.
...the poster...responded "Oh, we schedule time for that."

How does a person schedule time for cloud watching or other moments of fun? Sounds frightening.

Parent: " Okay, Suzette, you've finished your required coloring book time, now go out and lie down on the lawn and gaze at the clouds for fifteen minutes. "

Suzette: "Do I have to mom?"

Parent: "It's required so you can destress before your required playing with the cat, which we scheduled for 4:15."
chai2

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 04:36 pm
@Sturgis,
I want to know what makes Caroline Williams, the person who wrote those tips on focusing, qualified to tell us what qualifies as a hobby and what doesn't.

Well TV doesn't count, that's too passive. Thanks for letting us know something a person may enjoy and which destresses them doesn't make the grade.

I wonder how much money she made for writing this tripe.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 04:40 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

How does a person schedule time for cloud watching or other moments of fun? Sounds frightening.

Doesn't it?

Like scheduling time at least twice a week, or 10 minutes every other day, to do meditation or some "moving meditation" activity.

Good to know I'm not going for a walk or a swim, but engaging in "moving meditation" That's so much productive.

Seems some people wouldn't know how to wipe their ass without an instruction manual.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2018 08:15 pm
Start.

Post Squirrel Song at one quarter past the hour.

Take 5 minute break.

Collect nuts.

Meditate about new hobby.

Concentrate orange.

Loop to start.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 07:24 am
@jespah,
What do you have against squirrels?
https://i.imgur.com/gEMqgM5.jpg

I want more squirrels on the brain.
Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 11:27 am
@jespah,
How do I sign up to get my brain pinged! Sounds like fun.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 04:53 am
@tsarstepan,
That potful makes me hungry for a nice Brunswick Stew with soe collard greens on the side, and a big hunk a corn bread
chai2

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 08:22 am
@farmerman,
Yeah, squirrels love corn bread
farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 08:35 am
@chai2,
did not know tht. Ive always considered squirrels to be a food group, not a companion at lunch.
jespah

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 09:11 am
@farmerman,
http://memes.ucoz.com/_nw/1/47692223.jpg
chai2

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 12:25 pm
@jespah,
It's a floor wax!
It's a desert topping!

It's Both!

ekename

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 07:38 pm