Why are we so emotional when we reply to threads?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:42 pm
@reasoning logic,
I think we may have past threads here on logic being not an end all/be all.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:46 pm
@ossobuco,
yes I do agree
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:49 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Many of us seem to be very emotional when we discuss a topic.
Knowing that emotions hinder clear thinking why do we continue to act out emotional in academic discussions that we are trying to learn and share points of views about?

This might be for some people the only place to attempt to be "right," without the fear of losing a relationship?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I am studieing all of your replies at the moment. anything to do with neuroscience, neurophilosophy and psychology
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 07:58 pm
@Foofie,
I am cool with others being right there is no need for me to prove others wrong I am only learning other point of views other than my own. I do not claim absolutes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:02 pm
@Intrepid,
yeah I'm talking to you Intrepid, anyway, hows by you? I just keep on keeping on one day into the next.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:06 pm
@reasoning logic,
We have people interested in that.

They will see this thread of yours or not. You could start another one, regarding who might be interested in neuroscience.

English not your first language? (Me, I am a fool at other languages than english but others may know more).
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:30 am
Catharsis.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:49 am
I rarely become emotional in a thread. If a subject is becoming heated, my usual response is to leave the discussion. There is nothing to be learned from mudslinging, except that some people think that "screaming" loud enough will get their point across.

In all my years of life, if I have learned nothing else, I have learned a number of things. There are many sides to the most emotionally charged issues, No one is 100% right or 100% wrong. IMO it is important to understand the opposite views of people, for a couple of reasons. One, is to strengthen ones own views, the other is to learn something new, and modify ones initial concept of the issue.

I usually chuckle when I see someone getting all bent out of shape out of an emotionally charged issue. I sometimes wonder how that person would react to the same subject years from now.

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 08:55 am
@Phoenix32890,
yeah "in the scheme of things"
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:17 am
@reasoning logic,
I find discussions which are devoid of emotion to be dry and boring. Further, I find the obsession with the emotion vs. logic argument to be one largely latched onto by men because they believe they are naturally superior in the area of logic while usually suffering in the emotional expression department. In truth, you can be both emotional and logical. It's when emotions override logic, or vice versa, that you have a problem.
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:36 am
@FreeDuck,
How typical a response for an emotional, irrational woman . . . er, duck . . . water fowl . . . whatever . . .
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:38 am
By the way, it is a cheesy, silly and all too common rhetorical trick at sites like this to accuse one's interlocutor of being angry, or otherwise emotional, in an attempt to suggest that, therefore, their position can be discounted. You see it around here all the time. It's the kind of thing you would expect from a middle school child.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:49 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

How typical a response for an emotional, irrational woman . . . er, duck . . . water fowl . . . whatever . . .

Hah! I mean quaaaack <angry> quaaaaaaaack!
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 05:26 pm
The relative anonymity and free rein to create an alternate persona suspends many of the normal rules of communication, and almost all the nomral rules of visual pragmatics. We can be who we are not in real life if we want to without a real reprisal for being too attached to an emotion.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 05:37 pm
@GoshisDead,
That's true, but most here posting a lot are not in alternate personas. A lot of us pre phils on a2k have met each other, including those who argue vehemently one way or another, snapping and slapping verbally.

Sometimes we connect with those we haven't met and never will meet and disagree with but get used to. So, what happens, is that we can get used to each other's emotions. We may even like each other because of the humanity.

Not to get corny.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I am not arguing for people being fake, because for the most part the people I have met in RL that i first know on the net are the same people. I am arguing more for an academic notion of communicative frames of conversation. The environment of the internet creates a different frame of reference in which a person communicates which necessitates a different persona. As in the difference between how I would talk to a judge in his/her courtroom, to how I would talk to a friend on a basketball court.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 05:57 pm
@GoshisDead,
I take your point but I'm an old broad. I talk to most everyone the same way.

I do get that people new to expressing themselves, which we all were at some point, nice up, or, alternately, take on personas.

I think that on some websites, people can feel comfortable, almost working out their expression as they type and learning about themselves at the same time.

On an academic kind of conversation on the philforum, go for it, I've no disagreement, and only wish you all good luck.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
lol sorry, Ethnolinguist by trade, it all gets filtered through there and comes out sounding pedantic, butting out now.
Cheers,
Russ
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 06:05 pm
@GoshisDead,
Gee, Russ, no... I don't think of you as pedantic. Please, I'm interested to learn from you.

I read some of your threads quietly. Really, don't disappear here.