Looking for rommel quotes

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 10:24 am
@Setanta,
I'm tired of all your anti-Australian rants in this thread. Clearly you do not realize that the Australians single-handedly defeated the Third Reich, saved western civilization, and still managed to beat the Poms in the first post-war Ashes. All of this is information is readily available and known to all Australian-speaking people everywhere.
Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 12:18 pm
But i don't speak Strine ! ! !
Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 05:59 pm
@joefromchicago,
You wouldn't have a superiority complex there would you bub ?
I'm tired of all your pro-USA rants in this thread. Clearly you do not realize that the USA single-handedly defeated the Third Reich, saved western civilization, and still managed to beat the Poms in forming an empire long after empires went out of fashion. All of this is information is readily available and known to all American-speaking people everywhere.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2011 06:00 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
But i don't speak Strine ! ! !
One of God's true mercies to Aussies !
0 Replies

antonio22nz

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:34 pm
@joefromchicago,
The Canadians did have an army in world war 2 1st Canadian army
0 Replies

antonio22nz

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 02:11 pm
@joefromchicago,
I think its from the Rommel biography Rommel the Desert Fox by Brigadier Desmond Young but this is the actual text from the book
"He would have liked a division of them but remarked that an army of Australians would not be an easy command. The South Africans he considered good material but too raw, though he gave credit to their armoured cars and acknowledged that they later fought very well at Alamein. For the New Zealanders he had a great and lasting admiration. They were, he always maintained to Manfred, Aldinger and others, the finest troops on our side."
0 Replies

antonio22nz

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 03:15 am
@Setanta,
That is from the book The Rommel papers, it is from one of his diary entries.
Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 03:28 am
@antonio22nz,
So yoú're quoting Mr. Young quoting The Rommel Papers? That does not alter that it is no support for the claim made in the original post.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 03:32 am
I've probably already said this, but this is like the Hitler threads, it will never die.
Rodney1972

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 06:34 am
@Setanta,
lol

I came across this thread 8 years after my wife made it, happy to see it get so many responses.

It was my old man that said the original quote, it mightn't have been totally correct, but it seems to have hit the spot.

I still can't believe after 8 years this is still being talked about.

Well done wifey Smile
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 08:44 am
@Rodney1972,
Welcome, Rodney1972. Is your wife still a putz?
Ionus

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 07:38 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
Welcome, Rodney1972. Is your wife still a putz?
I see you have brushed up on your good manners to welcome a new member..... glad to see you made an effort . I know how difficult it is for you .
0 Replies

Rodney1972

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 01:04 am
@joefromchicago,
Welcome to you too merkin.

Thread created 8 years ago and you're still hanging around waiting for a bone, poor bugger!

You sure you don't have Aussie in you?

You remind me of a little Sydney silky terrier.

Woof!
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 03:38 am
Not quite eight years . . . but that taken aside, all this time, and still not a shred of evidence for the claim, which is what has been told to all the visitors here for all that time.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 08:42 am
@Rodney1972,
Yeah, I guess it must be tough being married to a putz.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 06:38 pm
@acacia,
Irwin Rommel used to wear this on his uniform's collar tabs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Generalfeldmarschall_Kragenspiegel.jpg

Sometimes this has been called an "Arabesque" or "Alt-Larisch".
I wonder what that IS sewn there in the GOLD thread.

Does anyone know exactly what that represents??
Is that a TREE, shown there?? with roots on one end?
Apparently, it means that its possessor
has the rank of General Officer or General Field Marshall in the German Army.

Does anyone know the origin of it ??

David

Ionus

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
From 1900 Prussian generals had worn ornate collar patches embroidered in a style called alt-Larisch, which had first been worn in the 18th century by the 26th (älterer von Larisch) Infantry Regiment; the Reichsheer and the Wehrmacht continued the tradition. These devices, sometimes called Arabesken (arabesques), were embroidered in gold bullion or golden synthetic Celleon on Hochrot (scarlet) backing.
Field Marshal

Field Marshals wore the same Arabesken as generals until April 1941, when they were authorized a longer variant with three rather than two iterations of the repeating pattern, for a total of six "prongs." In some cases GFM did not bother to replace their generals' tabs, or did so only on their dress uniforms.

Still working on exactly what it is....
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
IF it is based on the Larisch family crest then the points to the side are ears of corn with sickles beside them . The crest also had grapes later, but there doesnt seem to be evidence of them so it may be earlier than the grapes addition . Some say the line in the middle is the remnants of a button hole .

Still working....
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 09:54 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
IF it is based on the Larisch family crest then the points to the side are ears of corn with sickles beside them . The crest also had grapes later, but there doesnt seem to be evidence of them so it may be earlier than the grapes addition . Some say the line in the middle is the remnants of a button hole .

Still working....
Thank u, Ionus; very good of u.

I was curious about that odd shape.

I notice that German insignia of rank
appears to be heavily influenced by (if not obsessed by) LEAVES.

For instance, Himmler's collar rank insignia was 3 leaves within a wreath of MORE leaves.

David
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 10:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Those "Larisch Stickerei" (there's no "alt" ['old'] are known as well as "Alt-Preussische Stickerei".

The very first time these "Stickereien" were used, was with the [Prussian] 26th Infantry Regiment, one of the "old Prussian" regiments.

The last commander was Major General (later General-lieutenant) Carl Leopold v. Larisch. Since regiments were named after their commanding officers - the 'Kragenspiegel' (this term is only used after 1945) was named 'Larisch'.

It was used in this regiment since 1714 as a rank-sign for officers. (The regiment was dissolved in 1806 - part of it was transferred to the III: Corps, the reservist joined the 1rst West Prussian Regiment.