Dallas, Texas

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 11:12 am
There really isn't that much of a difference between Texas and Bavaria.

In one, the people talk funny, wear strange clothes, eat weird food, and think they're so important they should be an independent country.

In the other one, there's Dallas.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 02:39 pm
Joefromchicago, LOL. Yeah, a few relatives were from Dallas. That attitude is rampant.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:08 pm
Linkat wrote:
I have to laugh at what you consider too cold to be outside - I looked up the average temperatures - coldest is in January with a high of 55 and a low of 31! Ha try living in New England - that's a heat wave! To me that is comfortable.

Average for Feb between 36 - 61. 61 degrees! That is awesome in Feb.

Even the summers don't look too bad for me for averages a high of 97 in July and 96 in Aug isn't so bad - I understand you get humidity which makes the heat seem much worse, but we also get very high humidity in New England - temp don't average as high, but they can get as high. I wouldn't mind, myself so much as long as it cooled enough at night. And personally I rather deal with heat than the bitter cold and snow we get in the winter.

Winter is cold enough to discourage people from going outside in Dallas, but not cold enough for winter sports, such as skating, skiing, etc. Winter is short and spring starts February 15, that's when the first flowers start blooming. Spring is beautiful in Texas, but the windstorms and tornado watches also begin.

We've had a very cool summer so far. Normally, a 95 degree day is a wonderful respite from the torturous heat, and normally nobody goes outside in the summertime. And usually in Dallas, not Houston, the humidity is low. How high can the hummidty get when it's 105?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:12 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Iced tea in Texas really has ice in it.

And you don't have to worry about ordering it "unsweet."

If you want tea in a restaurant in Texas you better specify hot tea or you'll get ice tea, even for breakfast in the winter.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:16 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Dr. Pepper is a religion, here.

Half the servers don't even hear past the "d" sound when you order diet coke. They just bring a Dr. Pepper.

Reactionaryism is a religion here, and G. W. Bush is still a god.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 01:24 pm
Diane wrote:
Hmmm, ever the romantic, I'm thinking Thomas and Walter's niece. Then I start thinking, no, no, Thomas and my niece!

Well, if I may become a Texan, I ought to start practicing this line right now so ...

Bring Them On!

joefromchicago wrote:
In one, the people talk funny, wear strange clothes, eat weird food, and think they're so important they should be an independent country.

No idea what you're talking about -- Cubs fans?

coluber2001 wrote:
Reactionaryism is a religion here, and G. W. Bush is still a god.

That's fine, because I'm an atheist. And (seriously) thanks for your observations about Texas climate and tea customs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 01:48 pm
<tap tap tap>
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 01:56 pm
Nope, somebody else got the job. It's back to mining Monster.com and company websites for "carreer opportunities". (Whatever happened to plain old jobs?)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:03 pm
Sory to hear that. (But now Penny gets the oportunity to learn the difference between staying in Germany and Bavaria :wink: )
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:10 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Sory to hear that. (But now Penny gets the oportunity to learn the difference between staying in Germany and Bavaria :wink: )

Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 03:06 pm
Good point.

Phooey about the job though. Hope you find one soon that is both a great job and someplace you'd love to live. (Where would that be, by the way? NYC maybe? San Francisco?)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 03:54 pm
Plain old jobs. That's just, so, retro.

Maybe they'll come back into style?

(and now we gather and wait for the next research assignment :wink: )
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 03:58 pm
New Orleans? Chicago?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 06:08 pm
Sorry about the job thomas. On the other hand, I truly had trouble imagining you in that city. I'm not sure I ever saw a pedestrian there. In 10 months, I saw a total of two cyclists...and they were together.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 07:55 pm
Someone else got the Dallas job?

In my book, you've been saved from a fate worse than death, Thomas.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:53 pm
So now we're honest.

I'll join in re the difficulty imagining Thomas in Dallas, but I've not been to Dallas m'self, so I'm a nugget of bias from the years of bits that I've read.
My nugget of bias in the other direction is that I could see him in Austin, which I haven't been to either.

I so can imagine Thomas in NY or SF region, and know him as fine in Chicago (my opinion, not being able to guess if Thomas would be long term happy there). I'm a southern california fan, in contrast to many, and will admit a certain pause on that for Thomas, but, after pausing, will just say, maybe not the first destination, a saver. I'm a dummy on the south, no useful comment.

It's interesting, we are adaptive or we aren't. I can love varied places.

Hmmmm, Portland, Oregon? Other places in Oregon? Seem good to me. I'd say Seattle, much going for it, but horrid traffic in my visiting time. Northcoast in general seems primo. Haven't been to Vancouver, have old friends that would never shut up about how wonderful... I grew to believe them. Me, I'd probably bury myself in all the great restaurants.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:06 pm
All hard to say. I've spent near on fifty years in Los Angeles and environs, and am fond of/connected to it in fairly thick ways, including tough ways. People who go there for some bunches of days hate it. Soz, who lived there, is no fan, with legitimate reasons.

I'm interested in takes on different cities, in the US and the world, and like the variety of takes from different writers and just regular people on whether a city is glorious, or down and dirty - or a thriving mix of those or a f/d up hellhole.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 11:23 pm
We do have air conditioning down here, now.

But I definitely prefer to do my exercise indoors like a civilized person.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 03:15 am
Thanks everybody for your good wishes. It seems my application got declined at just the right moment, seeing how nasty Dallas has suddenly gotten since I started this thread.

As to where I'm going to end up now, I don't know. The most likely places are the North Atlantic and the San Francisco Bay Area, both of which I love. A couple of good-looking jobs have been opening in Broomfield, CO, which sits halfway between Denver and Boulder. Denver is another one of those cities I know nothing about; I've heard plenty of good stuff about Boulder though.

Chicago, which is also a great city, doesn't offer a lot of jobs in my profession; the one major candidate employer is Motorola, which isn't doing so well these days. (Their networks division, where I'd be most likely to end up, is doing worst of them all; it doesn't currently post any vacancies at all.)

I'll just keep looking ....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 05:13 am
Denver is quite nice, indeed. (Though I didn't spend more than a couple of hours there.)
0 Replies