Dallas, Texas

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:01 am
When you get your new home, you will probably want to put a den in the basement. The subway trains, however, are too slow. Best to drive.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:38 am
Thomas wrote:
Lola wrote:
Well good Thomas. I'll be in Dallas for Christmas. Bernie may come too. Will you be there? Or will you be going home for the holidays?

I won't be going home to Germany over Christmas, so I'll either stay in Dallas or visit my friends in Saint Louis. But even if I fly to Saint Louis, I'll come back on the 25th. It would be lovely to meet you in Dallas if you're still there then.
You have friends? How interesting. I would never have guessed.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:46 am
edgarblythe wrote:
When you get your new home, you will probably want to put a den in the basement.

I'm not sure I understand. Is this a precaution against tornados?

dyslexia wrote:

Always glad to educate you.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 07:39 am
Thomas wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
When you get your new home, you will probably want to put a den in the basement.

dyslexia wrote:

I was told there are no basements in homes in Texas.

This is a huge disappointment to the men from New England area as the basement is always where the man cave is placed.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:32 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lola wrote:

Well good Thomas. I'll be in Dallas for Christmas. Bernie may come too. Will you be there? Or will you be going home for the holidays?

14 of Forbes' richest call Dallas "home". If Thomas stays there over christmas, it will be 15.

Which 14 are they?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:34 pm
Ah! That makes sense, Linkat.

Interesting new development: The new boss called and asked whether I could imagine working the same job from a New York City suburb in New Jersey. (People familiar with my job odyssey may be having a déja vu here. There's a reason: this is a revival of the scenario formerly known as "The New Jersey thing".) Lola may be surprised to learn that yes, I could indeed imagine living in New York, or near it.

Looks like I'll need to cancel my orders at BullsBalls.com.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:35 pm
Quote:
They include:

Harold Simmons at #43 on the list. At the age of 76, he's worth $7.4 billion. His money is from investments.
Robert Rowling is #49 with $6.4 billion. His pockets are lined with the profits from oil, gas & investments.
Henry Ross Perot is #76 with 4.4 billion at the age of 77. His money is from computer services and real estate.
Ray Hunt is #82. At $4.0 billion, he made his money in oil and real estate. He's 64 and a modern day JR Ewing.
T. Boone Pickens is #117. At the age of 79, he's worth $3.0 billion. His loot is from investments, oil and gas.
Mark Cuban is a young'un at 49 and is #161 on the list with $2.6 billion. His money is from Broadcast.com and he's the owner of the Dallas Mavericks (NBA) and a recently named contestant on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars".
With 6 Dallasites tied at #117 with $1.5 billion each, they include:

Gerald J. Ford. At the age of 63 he made his money in banking.
Andrew Beal. He's 54 and his resources came from Beal Bank and real estate.
Timothy Headington. 57 years old from oil and investments.
Todd Wagner. At 47, he's also from Broadcast.com.
Trevor Rees-Jones. At 57 he's from oil.
Jerral Jones. 64 years old (though still trying to pass for 50 with all that plastic surgery he's had done) and owner of the Dallas Cowboys (NFL) which was recently named the world's most valuable sports franchise.
Another tie at #380 with $1.3 billion each are:

Thomas Hicks at the age of 61, he made his money from leveraged buyouts.
Kenny Troutt at 59. He founded Excel Communications.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:36 pm
dang!

(I wonder what the Jersey equivalent of BullsBalls is)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:36 pm
Thomas wrote:
Lola wrote:

I won't be going home to Germany over Christmas, so I'll either stay in Dallas or visit my friends in Saint Louis. But even if I fly to Saint Louis, I'll come back on the 25th. It would be lovely to meet you in Dallas if you're still there then.

I'll and possibly we'll be there. Oh goody, at last a fun reason to be in Dallas (other than my children and their children.) I'm looking forward to it now. New memories for Dallas. At last.

And no, I haven't yet taken the damn test. I've been working on making some money on jewelry, I'm having a truck show in Cannon Beach on Friday. Then it's back to study. I'm scheduled to take the evil test on Nov., 13. I chose that day for good luck.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:39 pm
I remember the New Jersey scenario and think it's a better fit.

Hang in there..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:40 pm
Should work. Had my oral examination for my social work MA on a 13th as well (either November or December) - but got a ticket on the autobahn for speeding afterwards.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:41 pm
Linkat wrote:
Thomas wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

I was told there are no basements in homes in Texas.

This is a huge disappointment to the men from New England area as the basement is always where the man cave is placed.

There are basements in only a few very large old historic homes on Swiss Avenue and select other parts of old Lakewood and some in Highland Park. Otherwise new construction is almost always concrete slab, even huge McMansions (much more rarely pier and beam.) Older small houses in the M streets are at least pier and beam which is much nicer in my opinion. The sound of one's foot on a pier and beam hardwood floor is far superior to the feel of a concrete slab foundation, heated or not.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:46 pm
Quote:
Thomas Hicks at the age of 61, he made his money from leveraged buyouts.

And from cashing in on the Arlington stadium deal which the DFW citizens paid for with tax money that made George W appear to be a "successful businessman" and later, when W. was governor, serving on the UT Board of Regents. Peuuuuuuu-ie
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:50 pm
Thomas wrote:

Interesting new development: The new boss called and asked whether I could imagine working the same job from a New York City suburb in New Jersey. (People familiar with my job odyssey may be having a déja vu here. There's a reason: this is a revival of the scenario formerly known as "The New Jersey thing".) Lola may be surprised to learn that yes, I could indeed imagine living in New York, or near it.

Looks like I'll need to cancel my orders at BullsBalls.com.

Oh my God, take it and we'll see you in January. New Jersey is a much better choice. And I know you love New York......so I'm not surprised, you self satisfied friendless old smarty.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:53 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Should work. Had my oral examination for my social work MA on a 13th as well (either November or December) - but got a ticket on the autobahn for speeding afterwards.

Were you celbrating? I will be. Congratulations
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:03 pm
Thomas wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

dyslexia wrote:

I've seen people from the east come to Dallas and run all over looking for a base,ent, of which there never is one. He he.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:13 pm
I took my orals in Orange County, CA (I've never actually been ice cold before, such as I was in that waiting room, and not from the room temperature but from my own body temp), and then went to San Francisco for a national meeting shortly after. Talk about euphoria.. (it was clear I passed, though they're not supposed to say - I remember the crucial question was about fire...).

but if I had to do it all over now, say, three day boards, I just might not go there. Lola's at a good age, with the energy to put up with it.

Which brings up, my CA land arch license is due, and I might not renew. Mulling. Not much moolah for two more years' extension, but let's face it, I'll not open a practice, as such. (I'm confident can get a license here, a bunch of paper work, given I still have the CA license. I think I know which way my decision is going, which is to pay for it...)

A diversion re me, but a way of expressing sympathy for Lola for even dealing with this.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:52 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I took my orals in Orange County, CA (I've never actually been ice cold before, such as I was in that waiting room, and not from the room temperature but from my own body temp), and then went to San Francisco for a national meeting shortly after. Talk about euphoria.. (it was clear I passed, though they're not supposed to say - I remember the crucial question was about fire...).

but if I had to do it all over now, say, three day boards, I just might not go there. Lola's at a good age, with the energy to put up with it.

Which brings up, my CA land arch license is due, and I might not renew. Mulling. Not much moolah for two more years' extension, but let's face it, I'll not open a practice, as such. (I'm confident can get a license here, a bunch of paper work, given I still have the CA license. I think I know which way my decision is going, which is to pay for it...)

A diversion re me, but a way of expressing sympathy for Lola for even dealing with this.

Thanks for the sympathy, Osso. It's ridiculous since I've been certified by the NASW for 33 years and certified/licensed for the same period of time in both New York and Texas. They should have a wavier process in place for experienced social workers, especially when they have 10 year post graduate education in a speciality. In the mean time I've spent more than $500.00 for study materials and studying has so far only amounted to a lower score each time I take a trial test. The test is developed and regulated by NASW. It seems a contradiction to me. And if I don't pass by a point or two, I have to wait three months to take it again. In the meantime, my colleagues are waiting to refer patients and appoint me to the faculty of the institute. I'm losing money daily.......... Ranting again. Thanks, I needed that.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 08:45 am
walter wrote
Quote:
but got a ticket on the autobahn for speeding afterwards.

??

You were exceeding one hundred and eighty six thousand miles per second?? That's illegal anywhere.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 11:40 am
Thomas wrote:

Are you even weighing your options here? Let's face it, Dallas is a miserable hell-hole. In comparison, New Jersey is a paradise of earthly pleasures.
0 Replies