Dallas, Texas

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 01:47 pm
Not much new to add to the thread....

Dallas is cosmopolitan, Fort Worth is cowboy.

Easy to get into and out of.

Dallas rush hour is to be avoided at all costs. Non-rush hour traffic moves quickly - sometimes too quickly. Don't get in the left lane unless you want to go 80 or above.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 02:22 pm
Chai wrote:
oh wait!

here's a good one....any soda down here is a "coke"

I mean, you buy/order root beer, sprite, whatever else, but the overall term for them is "cokes"

that always tickles me.

oh Thomas, I'm not as opininated in reall life either.

Well that is similar to Boston -many people refer to the general term of soda as coke.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 02:28 pm
drew dad's from Austin too.

He's weird, but in a bad way.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:24 pm
Dr. Pepper is a religion, here.

Half the servers don't even hear past the "d" sound when you order diet coke. They just bring a Dr. Pepper.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:25 pm
Iced tea in Texas really has ice in it.

And you don't have to worry about ordering it "unsweet."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:25 pm
Texas BBQ means smoked. Usually beef, but chicken and pork ribs, too.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:26 pm
Chai wrote:
drew dad's from Austin too.

He's weird, but in a bad way.

Not as weird as those people that live South of the river.... Wink
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:37 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Dr. Pepper is a religion, here.

Ewww. That's definitely a minus.

In Germany, the standard deodorant for portable toilets smells just like Dr. Pepper. You won't be surprised to learn that Dr. Pepper never achieved religion status here. I'm not even sure if you can buy it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 03:42 pm
Dr. Pepper originated in Waco, I think. (About two hours south of Dallas.)

At least, that's where the Dr. Pepper museum is.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:33 am
thomas

Congrats. I'll drop you a pm and have Lola do so as well.

Of course, Finn D'abuzz, though raised in New York, seems quite happy in Dallas presently, a metric which you can interpret as you see appropriate.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:44 am
My step daughter loves Dr. Pepper so much, when she came to visit from Florida, she made a special pilgrimage to Waco just to knell before the shrine of Dr. Pepper.

She won't drink it out of cans either....just the fountain stuff.

Mr. Tea won't hardly go north of the river.
He had to buy something that was only available at Office Max, not Office Depot and he was asking me when I was going to go to Sunset Valley next.

I said "There's an Office Max, right on Lamar not even a mile from here"

Mr. Tea: "Where?"

me: Right on 5th and Lamar, right across from the Whole Foods I have to go buy your special onion and cheese chibata rolls from

Mr. Tea: "Oh ****, that's North of the RIVER! I'll just go myself to Sunset Valley."

FYI for those not in the know....Your grandmother could chuck a stone from 5th and Lamar and have it land in the river.

North of the River is the big city, and if Mr. Tea ever found hisself over there, he'd just stand there and gawp and the big buildin's.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 11:31 am
DrewDad wrote:
Iced tea in Texas really has ice in it.

And you don't have to worry about ordering it "unsweet."

That's great. I hate sweeten tea.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 11:36 am
Curious as to how the work ethic is. Do people tend to work lots of extra hours and are dedicated to extremes to work - i.e. lots of workaholics. I know in places like Boston and New York it is expected that you work overtime regularly. Sometimes to extremes - I worked one job where sometimes I would work as late as 10:00 and 11:00 at night - expected weekends too when it was busy time.

I know there are some places where people value time out of work - wondering what sort of life style people tend to have in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 12:02 pm
Speaking about work (though I've never really noticed -here- that such is a regional "problem" but more business, tariff, status related), a question for Thomas.

I'm wondering - since you are (more or less) within the same company: are any of our German laws applicable with your new job?

(The reason why I ask: my niece heads the German factory of an American company. She "has" to work like an American in the USA = no German public holidays which aren't American holidays, = 70+ hours/week, ready to get phone calls in the middle of the night ... etc. [On the other hand, she had to work on Independence Day as well.])
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 12:11 pm
A bit of a list of fiction (seemingly) set in Dallas -

http://www.sanantonio.gov/library/fiction/fic_TX-Dallas.asp?res=1440&ver=true

I looked this up because I ran across a police procedural set in Dallas while I was trawling Powells.com for detective fiction last evening.. but I forgot to copy that link and it could be hard to find now. Thus, a whole list instead..
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 03:42 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I'm wondering - since you are (more or less) within the same company: are any of our German laws applicable with your new job?

This depends on the nature of your employment at my company, which distinguishes between "short term delegates", "long term delegates", and local employees. Short term delegates remain employed at the German branch, and continue to be governed by German labor laws. Accordingly they have German holidays, German work hours (adapted to local time of course), German workplace regulations etc. Long term delegates and local (American) employees are employed under American labor laws, work American hours, etc.. The same applies, vice versa, when someone form our American branches comes to Germany to work here.

I don't know how much of this is my employer's policy, and how much of it reflects the status of the law. But our company is maximizing its profit just like anybody else; it doesn't give gifts to its employees if the law doesn't force it -- not to the tune of multiple thousand Euros per year, anyway. I don't recognize any of what your niece is experiencing. That sounds like a crock of self-serving bullshît on her employer's part. I don't think any German court would enforce this policy on her for her employer. And if she worked the German way, they fired her, and she sued, I don't think any German court would stand for it. But, needless to say, I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 03:44 am
Blatham -- thanks for the PM.
Osso -- thanks for the reading list.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 04:45 am
Thomas wrote:
But our company is maximizing its profit ...

Oh yeah :wink:

re my niece: well, they just got her on the right spot, since she's a type of person doing all and everything with the only reason of learning more. (1.0 Abitur, youngest [and only female] leading a factory ... etc).
She's not complaining, on the other hand.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 09:33 am
Hmmm, ever the romantic, I'm thinking Thomas and Walter's niece. Then I start thinking, no, no, Thomas and my niece!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:02 am
Mine is considering to marry her partner (for a couple of years, and his child is living with them, too) :wink:
0 Replies