Ever Have A Feeling You Can't Explain About A Politician?

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 12:34 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I revere the Duck... for sheer fluency of articulating her thoughts, which I mostly agree with.

In fact, why the hell isn't our Duck running for Pres? First of all, she talks straight....

and flies right!!!

You are too kind. But I'd make a sucky president even if what Thomas said wasn't true.

I think we like a straight talker but that the ones that talk straight usually can do so because they already don't have a chance in hell of winning. With no money and nothing to lose, they are free to tell the truth without worrying about losing endorsements and funds.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:39 pm
Thomas wrote:
snood wrote:
And Thomas I saw clips of the speech to which you refer, but didn't detect him trying to imitate MLK.

I'm probably belaboring this point too much. But in BiPolarBear's spirit of brotherhood, I'd like to note that visiting Montgomery has made forgive both Obama and Clinton for their black preacher accents. The place has a powerful aura. If you have a chance to do it, spend a few hours around the Capitol, the Civil Rights Memorial, and the Dexter Avenue Baptist and First Methodist churches. I predict the place will get to you, and you, too, will start talking with a Black Preacher Accent.

You do belabor the point too much. I worked at Walter Reed and lived in DC for 3 years. I don't see Hillary and Obama using black preacher rhythms as being the same thing. But then I have the quaint belief that Obama being black (especially since he's attended a black church for years and listened to a black preacher a lot of sundays) makes one less unseemly in attempting those rhythms.

I guess I just wanted a little clarity about what kind of "uneasiness about him being in the white house" was being talked about. And I agree with those who have suggested we move on in this thread.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 05:46 pm
snood for god's sake now give me some clarity. Point to where I said I was uneasy about him being in the White House. Search every post please.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 09:50 pm
This is your first post...

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
It goes against all the current knowledge and belief but Ijust don't think there's much depth to Barrack Obama. Maybe better to say I don't think he's seasoned enough. I don't know. I like the guy, I like a lot of what he says, but something red flags me about his being president. Of course I would vote for him against any idiot the bushublicans put up, but I'm just not sold on the guy. Not this time around anyway.

I really can't explain much past my gut feeling.

I had a gut feeling bush was going to be an indescribable f**k up and a real dick back in 1999 and never bought into any of his bullshit. I'm not comparing the two believe me. Obama is certainly God like in his intelligence when compared to bush.

Anyway does anyone else, any other people planning to vote democrat I mean, get this same vaguely uneasy feeling?

I shouldn't have used quotation marks around "uneasy...", but I was just paraphrasing what you DID say.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2007 10:38 pm
Sometimes, adopting the speach characteristics of those to whom one is speaking happens spontaneously. I bet many of the people on a2k have been speaking to someone and found themselves slipping into the other's way of speaking, at least a little. Speaking to dys on the phone last night, I detected myself possibly borrowing his laugh for a moment. It's really no big deal, in most cases.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 03:35 am
I agree that its probably a common phenomenon that's both benign, and unconscious in most cases. I would certainly say that was more likely the case with Obama than with Clinton, simply because she is well known to be coldly calculating.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:51 am
snood wrote:
I agree that its probably a common phenomenon that's both benign, and unconscious in most cases. I would certainly say that was more likely the case with Obama than with Clinton, simply because she is well known to be coldly calculating.

Umm..

Thats about as close as a circular argument as you can get here, isnt it.

"They both did the same thing yeah, but I know that in her case it was faking and in his case just innocent adoption, because I know she is a fake and he is a good guy."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:02 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Sometimes, adopting the speach characteristics of those to whom one is speaking happens spontaneously. I bet many of the people on a2k have been speaking to someone and found themselves slipping into the other's way of speaking, at least a little. Speaking to dys on the phone last night, I detected myself possibly borrowing his laugh for a moment. It's really no big deal, in most cases.
Just to set the record straight, I never laugh.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:07 am
dyslexia wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Just to set the record straight, I never laugh.

I have no sense of humour either... set and I were talking about it just yesterday in another thread...of course unlike you dys.... I am a prince and not a poopity head....
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:14 pm
nimh wrote:
snood wrote:

Umm..

Thats about as close as a circular argument as you can get here, isnt it.

"They both did the same thing yeah, but I know that in her case it was faking and in his case just innocent adoption, because I know she is a fake and he is a good guy."

Except that's not what I said. The Clintons are both known for their "triangulating" and being hardballers politically. To say its easier for me to see Hillary as faking it for political rasons than Obama is just using the information commonly available.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:55 pm
snood wrote:
nimh wrote:

Except that's not what I said. The Clintons are both known for their "triangulating" and being hardballers politically. To say its easier for me to see Hillary as faking it for political rasons than Obama is just using the information commonly available.

Dont really see the difference between what you're saying and the way I paraphrased it.

Hillary and Obama both suddenly sounded different from how they normally talk. You say that Hillary was faking it because you believe (based on how you've read the things that've been written about her) that she's the kind of person who would. Whereas you believe that with Obama it was just a natural adoption kind of thing because... thats the kind of guy you believe him to be.

I just see 'em as two politicians, who both did the thing that politicians do. I dont share your belief that with Obama, it suddenly must be something different - and I think thats what it is, a belief. You like the guy, you trust the guy, so you interpret what he does differently than how you interpret Hillary doing the very same thing - because you believe her to be a triangulating hardballer.

Doing Obama a service, meanwhile, all of this is not..
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 07:01 pm
"All of this", meaning what?

Believing in him?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 02:42 am
snood wrote:

Let me try to put this in the context of the thread title. When you say you see Clinton, but not Obama, as faking it -- are you sharing one of those "feelings you can't explain" about these two politicians? Or are you offering an objective judgment about them?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 06:48 am
Yes - it's my opinion that there is more objective fact that would support seeing Hillary as calculating than Obama. And I know I'm biased. I was trying to get BPB to show me what, in his opinion would objectively support such misgivings about Obama.

He and I and everyone else are certainly entitled to our gut feelings and irrational biases. And its probably natural to try to defend one's own as more rational than the next person's.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:00 am
Ive changed my mind. Obama is my man. I don't even like Hillary anymore, and I never liked any of the others anyway except maybe Biden and Richardson and they're out.

I'm voting for Obama and if he doesn't win I'm expatriating. Amsterdam would be my first choice.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:07 am
Yay!

(I dunno if he's serious or not, I'm goin' with it...)

Obama '08!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:28 am
snood wrote:
Thomas wrote:
snood wrote:
And Thomas I saw clips of the speech to which you refer, but didn't detect him trying to imitate MLK.

I'm probably belaboring this point too much. But in BiPolarBear's spirit of brotherhood, I'd like to note that visiting Montgomery has made forgive both Obama and Clinton for their black preacher accents. The place has a powerful aura. If you have a chance to do it, spend a few hours around the Capitol, the Civil Rights Memorial, and the Dexter Avenue Baptist and First Methodist churches. I predict the place will get to you, and you, too, will start talking with a Black Preacher Accent.

You do belabor the point too much. I worked at Walter Reed and lived in DC for 3 years. I don't see Hillary and Obama using black preacher rhythms as being the same thing. But then I have the quaint belief that Obama being black (especially since he's attended a black church for years and listened to a black preacher a lot of sundays) makes one less unseemly in attempting those rhythms.

I guess I just wanted a little clarity about what kind of "uneasiness about him being in the white house" was being talked about. And I agree with those who have suggested we move on in this thread.

If you all are talking about Bill Clinton, he did go to Park Place Baptist Church in Hot Springs Arkansas. (i am not sure what kind of church that is) From everything I have read, Bill Clinton is a complex man filled conflicted sides. I personally have found him to be believable. I know a lot of others don't. I guess that is my "gut feeling."

Clinton's Spiritual Journey

As for Hillary, I believe she grew up as a republican in a methodist church. Perhaps Bill rubbed off on her in more ways than one. There must be some reason they married being two different personalities. At her core, though I think she is way more 'right' than Bill Clinton; though Bill Clinton is more 'right' than most liberals as well. Again, those are my unexplained gut feelings. The good thing about this thread and it being about gut feelings is that we don't have to justify our feelings.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:40 am
Yay!!

(I don't know if he's serious either Soz, but I'll go with it too)

And revel - I think most here were referring to Hillary, not Bill, but I think your observations are pretty keen anyway.
0 Replies