Hillery, Obama, Edwards and the Democrates

Butrflynet

Sat 26 Jan, 2008 07:51 pm
I hope they keep doing it!

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/01/26/612028.aspx

Quote:
Looking at the exit polls Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 7:03 PM by Mark Murray
Filed Under: 2008, Primaries
From MSNBC's Norah O'Donnell and Adam Verdugo

The South Carolina Democratic primary has been a bitter, hard-fought contest with Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama taking jabs at each other in Monday's televised debate. In the exit polls, we asked voters in this primary if the candidates were attacking each other unfairly. Fifty-six percent of those voting so far think Obama attacked Clinton unfairly, and while that is a high number, more people thought Clinton unfairly attacked Obama -- 70%.

The Clintons have been accused of playing the race card in this contest. We do see some potential fallout for the Clintons in the African-American community: 74% of African-American voters think that Clinton unfairly attacked Obama. But when we look at the same question among white voters, a comparable number thought Clinton unfairly attacked Obama -- 68%.

Also worth mentioning, a majority of the voters -- 56% -- said that Bill Clinton's campaigning was important to their vote today.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Sat 26 Jan, 2008 08:10 pm
Bill Clinton gave Hillary's concession speech tonight.

He really is making an ass of himself and hurting her. It's as if he is running for prez all over again; his speech was nearly entirely in the first person.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Sat 26 Jan, 2008 08:29 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Bill Clinton gave Hillary's concession speech tonight.

He really is making an ass of himself and hurting her. It's as if he is running for prez all over again; his speech was nearly entirely in the first person.

Cycloptichorn

I especially liked the intro where he thanked them for giving him the key to the city, but wondered if people were concerned that he'd go into houses he shouldn't go into.

I don't think the audience laughed as hard as he thought they should.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sat 26 Jan, 2008 08:35 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
I hope they keep doing it!
Very Happy
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 27 Jan, 2008 09:03 am
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0108/Clinton_robocalls_hit_Edwards.html

Quote:
Clinton robocalls hit Edwards

Guess he's still relevant enough to merit a robocall from Hillary that hits him on policy and character.

Here's the call (.mp3), and here's the transcript, from The Page:

Hello, This is the Hillary Clinton for President Campaign.

Before you vote on Saturday, you should know that John Edwards voted for permanent trade relations with China. That's right, John Edwards voted for the bill that cost thousands of jobs. Like the ones in the textile mills he talks about so much down here.

You should also know that John Edwards made nearly a half a million dollars working for a Wall Street investment fund. A fund that's been profiting on foreclosing on the homes of families; including 100 homes right here in South Carolina. That's according to The State newspaper. Here in South Carolina, Edwards says he's one of us, but up on Wall Street he was just another one of them.

Can you trust John Edwards?

John, you shouldn't of turned your back on Hillary to double-team Obama at the last debate. Hope you're able to remove that knife from your back soon.
0 Replies

nimh

Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:39 am
Butrflynet wrote:
John, you shouldn't of turned your back on Hillary to double-team Obama at the last debate. Hope you're able to remove that knife from your back soon.

Oh, bull. He attacked Hillary as often as Obama in that debate.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 27 Jan, 2008 03:19 pm
There's an Op-Ed in the NY Times - Two Presidents are Worse than One .

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/26/opinion/26wills.html?ei=5087&em=&en=a8a5adeed80652e3&ex=1201582800&pagewanted=all

Has interesting points, among which are:

One problem with the George W. Bush administration is that it has brought a kind of plural presidency in through the back door. Vice President Dick Cheney has run his own executive department, with its own intelligence and military operations, not open to scrutiny, as he hides behind the putative president.

No other vice president in our history has taken on so many presidential prerogatives, with so few checks. He is an example of the very thing James Wilson was trying to prevent by having one locus of authority in the executive. The attempt to escape single responsibility was perfectly exemplified when his counsel argued that Mr. Cheney was not subject to executive rules because he was also part of the legislature.

We have seen in this campaign how former President Clinton rushes to the defense of presidential candidate Clinton. Will that pattern of protection be continued into the new presidency, with not only his defending her but also her defending whatever he might do in his energetic way while she's in office? It seems likely. And at a time when we should be trying to return to the single-executive system the Constitution prescribes, it does not seem to be a good idea to put another co-president in the White House.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 27 Jan, 2008 04:25 pm
Compares all the candidates - democrat and republican using Candidates' Web sites and news wires as sources

http://www.sacbee.com/111/v-print/story/664783.html
Where the candidates stand: Farm guest workers
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 29 Jan, 2008 11:30 pm
Quote:

01.29.08 -- 11:46PM // link

Spinning Florida

For the Democrats, the big question tonight was how the press would play Hillary Clinton's 'win' in Florida, or how successfully she could spin the result to count as a landslide victory on a par with Obama's big win in South Carolina. The final number seems to be Hillary 50%, Obama 33%, Edwards 14% which, in numerical terms, is a trouncing, even it doesn't match the spread in South Carolina.

Just judging from the cable news we watched this evening and how the major newspapers are playing it on their websites, it doesn't look like they get much of a pop. Most of the website front pages of the newspapers I'm looking at either don't mention the Democratic result out of Florida or put it under the fold with some conspicuous notation that the 'win' had not delegates. Nor, at least in the headlines I'm seeing, does there seem to be any real mention of the margin of her win, which was substantial. For the record I'm looking at the Boston Globe, New York Times, WaPo, USAToday, Dallas Morning News, LATimes, Stl. Post-Dispatch and others. The standard seems to be some form of the Post-Dispatch's small related item "Clinton wins primary but no delegates." In the Post, there's a snarky piece by Dana Milbank: "Much Ado About No Delegates: The only piece missing from Sen. Hillary Clinton's Florida victory party Tuesday night was a victory." Ouch. CNN has a small related headline: "Clinton trumpets win with no delegates at stake."

Just in terms of managing the news cycle I think what the Clinton folks would have been looking for are two things -- big pictures of Hillary smiling, preferably above the fold, thus suggesting victory and some mention of her margin. But I don't see either anywhere.

Perhaps the print front pages will play this differently. But on balance I suspect they didn't get as much juice out of this as they wanted or expected.

--Josh Marshall

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Wed 30 Jan, 2008 07:10 am
Maybe the reasons she is not smiling is because she won't receive any delegates from fl. becasue of the dispute of moving the primaries up this year. She was virtually uncontested.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 30 Jan, 2008 07:36 am
She's still trying, though. It's not completely resolved as to whether she will get those delegates or not.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 30 Jan, 2008 07:47 am
Oh and thanks for that overview, Cycloptichorn, that was something I was very curious about. What kind of response the Hillary "win" was getting.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Wed 30 Jan, 2008 08:44 am
FYI,
CNN is saying that both Edwards and Guilani are dropping out of the race today.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Wed 30 Jan, 2008 09:19 am
John Edwards To Drop Out Of Race
I'm so sad. John and Elizabeth Edwards are good people. ---BBB
0 Replies

okie

Wed 30 Jan, 2008 10:04 am
Re: John Edwards To Drop Out Of Race
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I'm so sad. John and Elizabeth Edwards are good people. ---BBB

That says alot. He couldn't even come close to winning his home state. He came in a distant third.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Wed 30 Jan, 2008 12:46 pm
Hair today, gone tomorrow.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Wed 30 Jan, 2008 01:08 pm
" Don't think of this election as a choice between candidates
but between battlefields.
Would you rather spend the next four years fighting Republicans or Democrats?"---------------------Sam Smith----------------
0 Replies

Advocate

Wed 30 Jan, 2008 02:11 pm
It is significant, I think, that Hill, in a somewhat meaningless election, got more votes that did McCain. It shows that the Dems are really mobilized this time.
0 Replies

nimh

Wed 30 Jan, 2008 03:39 pm
sozobe wrote:
Oh and thanks for that overview, Cycloptichorn, that was something I was very curious about. What kind of response the Hillary "win" was getting.

Yes, thank you Cyclo, that was useful.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Wed 30 Jan, 2008 10:06 pm
Advocate wrote:
It is significant, I think, that Hill, in a somewhat meaningless election, got more votes that did McCain. It shows that the Dems are really mobilized this time.

Huh? How is that significant when Obama didn't campaign, and the Republican election was hotly contested between 4 candidates??
0 Replies