Having affair with happily married man?

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:29 am
OK...this is the first time I've done internet chatting stuff...go easy...
I'm an attractive single sane 37 year old...am open and ready to meet someone, and meanwhile have become great friends (thru a spiritual community) with a man who has all I wish I could find in a man. I have been single for about three years, and the last time I had sex I got pregnant thru a broken condom and had an abortion because I want to raise a child with someone I love...I've gotten way jaded but have kept a punchy sense of humor about my singleness...but its getting really wearing.
Anyways, I finally broke down in loneliness and need for intimacy and made love to him...two different nights now...and it was earth shattering, both sexually, and emotionally. I had told a girlfriend I could keep it in check and not expect or hope for more...but I knew I'd feel awful about his wife and kids, and I do. He has expressed to me that they are actually very happy, but married since high school, and he just likes to spend time with me. He had a six year relationship with another woman years ago, and he felt his wife knew and they just never spoke of it. But meanwhile they have a lovely life, and she's grateful for the life he's provided for her, I believe that, he says she even teases him about phone calls...like"was that your girlfriend?" and doesn't get upset when he goes on trips..who knows...but I get the feeling its true..they've been together for 15 yrs and not from this country originally....Anyways of course I can't expect I'll not hope for more...I already do! And I'm sad...I live in a town where most every single guy is taken, and I really do want to have kids...(Pro lifers need not reply to this posting) I've gotten good at loving being alone and yet I yearn for a partner...and this man is an example of the kind of compatibility I would want. Before I met him I'd never met other men who seemed like my type...intellectual but spiritual, funny, sexual and sensual, outdoorsy, financially secure, grounded. Why must the example come in this form? And does this mean my ideal future mate would be a cheater? I'm so confused...anyway...if anyone else has experience like this, where its not as black and white...(a guy who's in a happy marriage and honest about all his intentions while he's cheating? Whoa.) Please respond with any insights...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 17,772 • Replies: 180
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:49 am
Here's what you do.

Run. Far and fast. In the opposite direction of this inevitable mess.

You're being used by this "wonderful man". No one is wonderful who is that deceptive. Chances are good that his wife is not that pleasantly understanding. If she is, then what does that say about him -- she's lived with him for a decade and a half and is happy to let him slide in the fidelity area? What kind of jerk must he be if his own wife doesn't give a damn? And, if she does, then that's a lie by him now, isn't it?

Even if everyone is perfectly hunky dory about this, there are children involved. At the very least, someone needs to be responsible about them and, if he and his wife won't be, you at least can be by getting out of this soap opera.

And -- you are not thinking straight because of the sex. You wanted it, you got it (and you may not have much of a fair basis for comparison if it's been a while) and now it's clouding your judgment. He is not going to leave his wife for you. Sorry, but that's the way it is in the vast majority of cases.

There are other ways to find someone. Since the spiritual life is your thing, go to church, or to spiritual websites -- some have forums and may have singles areas. There are other ways to make a connection than by fishing in someone else's pond.

I repeat. Get out while you can, before you get any more emotionally entangled. You need to step back, clear your head and find someone who will care for you 24/7, not someone else's leftovers, or someone who's just playing. You don't deserve to be treated this way.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:58 am
if it feels good go for it, marriage is only a business relationship when it all comes down to it anyway. If you dont have anyone else why not? theres no reason to be lonely.

If you dont like the idea of him cheating then dont see him anymore, its that easy.i doubt his wife thinks that way, but she might, and she has most likely cheated on him too.

sex is natural, marriage is not. Thats my 2 cents.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:09 am
It is impossible to have an affair with a happily married spouse.

It is possible to have an affair with a person who cheats and does who knows what else.

Quote:
And I'm sad...I live in a town where most every single guy is taken, and I really do want to have kids..

You're 37. What is keeping you in that town?

Joe(Go. Don't even for a moment look back)Nation
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 04:28 am
I cant understand why women do this!!
Ok, amazing sex, fair enough, but there are loads of guys that can give you amazing sex.
Ive been on my own for years, not even a whiff of a decent guy but I dont 'borrow' someones husband and have an affair.

Basically he is using you.
He is having his cake and eating it, and he isnt that amazing or perfect, he is just a cheat and they are 10 a penny.
You are giving him everything that he wants and he is probably laughing hysterically and rubbing his hands together with glee.
Nobody that willingly gets married , has a happy marriage, but has has an affair anyway,is worth anything.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 06:42 am
Re: Having affair with happily married man?
ironicbliss wrote:
Why must the example come in this form? And does this mean my ideal future mate would be a cheater?

Good question!

My advice? Stop having sex with him, clear your head, and find out the answer to that question.

Are you typically attracted to men who are bad for you? In this single post alone, you mentioned two times you have chosen men who are bad for you - a man you did not love and who you did not consider parent material when you accidentally got pregnant - while you clearly want children.
And now a married man with children of his own.

No, I have never had an affair with a married man. I have been in situations that were not black-and-white (are they ever?); and I do have experience with choosing partners who were bad for me.

You are cutting yourself short. You are denying yourself happiness and the fulfillment of your dreams. Why?
It so would be a great time to figure that out and start living a life you deserve!

It can be done. Write out all your 'reasons' and excuses for "why I can not have all that I want in a man".
Your heart clearly wants more than to be the piece on the side. Your heart wants connection and love.

He can't give you this. He can only give you sweet talk and lies. It's true.
Stop giving him any signals that he has a chance at getting in bed with you and you will see for yourself!

Just try it as an experiement. What happens if you start acting to remedy your reasons and excuses?
You say there are no single men in your town - one way to try to remedy that would be to move.

Good luck.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 06:54 am
Is he from France or other European country where mistresses are more common and having a mistress doesn't carry the social stigma it carries here?
0 Replies

ironicbliss

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:45 am
Hmmm....
Sounds like the general consensus is to cut my losses...which obviously I've been considering more, than trying to have a satisfied honest relationship with a man who can only show up 1/4 of the way...I appreciate all the input..I do believe I am selling myself short.
To mushy pancakes...I should clarify that while I do want children, the idea of doing it alone (which I would have, the man I was with said he wasn't ready to have children, when I told him I was considering keeping it) was too much. I researched tons...asked my family what kind of help I could get if I had it...frankly it would have been too difficult. Having an abortion at 37 was the hardest and saddest decision I've ever had to make. And yes, I don't have the greatest picker, and most of my girlfriends don't either. Do you? Know where I could buy one? No one ever taught me how to get one...Or maybe its that I live in an area where there's tons of single independent beautiful strong women and not many men so we make do with less..
To JPB, yes. But not too much more common...
I have always been the one to 'chide from ahigh' all of my girlfriends who even considered this behavior; be it that the man had a wife or even a girlfriend...to that person who said "I dont know why women do this..." Me neither...and I still can't answer that while doing it...I spoke to him about it at length...and somehow he has found a way to not feel much guilt. I brought it ALL up...the kids, the risks, the fact he has a beautiful life and is putting it all in jeopardy, and he rationalizes it all by saying he is present in all their lives and supports them, that he should give himself what he wants...I laugh...it all seems surreal. See I'm from the times where there were key parties my parents went to...you know, all couples put their keys in a bowl and pick whoever to go home with...and the seventies were not the best time for kids...my parents didn't make it. So I maybe have a core belief that marriage is for fairy tales.
I don't know. I appreciate bantering about it thought, thanks all!
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:02 pm
hi ironicbliss.

I'm agreeing with Joe nation - get out of that town!

and stop looking for somebody, it never usually works and leaves you vulnerable to the kind of men which you have already encountered.

x
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:27 pm
Uh, happily married?

I don't think so.

If he was, he wouldn't have you on the side.

This guy is a loser. And so are you if you stay.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:39 pm
I would echo what most of the others have said here, except that I am pro-life and was told not to respond. So I won't respond. But if I did, I would agree that you need to run far and fast away from this guy. Anyone who happily cheats on a spouse is not exactly prime material for another person to think about spending their life with. But again, that's only what I would say if I were allowed to respond.

Ooops, too late. I responded. Sorry about that. Smile
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:43 pm
Naughty Coastalrat!

Is that you in the photo or John Wayne Gacy? Either way, you're freakin' me out dude!!!
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:48 pm
Bantering?

Sorry I thought you were talking about your life. Not a bull session.

Blaming others for not teaching you things, blaming your environment: that's weak.

You have a vivid painful and difficult experience in your memory. It involves a child and a man that would not or could not raise that child.

And now you are involved with a man who will not or can not give children what they deserve.
You are with a man who choses to cheat his wife out of a committed and fully present husband.

Doesn't that strike you as odd? That you have chosen that - out of countless other possibilities of what you could be doing with your life?

You are dedicating yourself to cheating children of a father, a woman of her man.

It is ironic bliss.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:55 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
Naughty Coastalrat!

Is that you in the photo or John Wayne Gacy? Either way, you're freakin' me out dude!!!

That is really me. And here I thought I was a handsome clown. Mrs. Rat thinks so. Or at least I think she thinks so. Oh my, what if she too confuses me with John Wayne Gacy and has been afraid of leaving me all these years because of what I might do to her.

Aw, man, back to psychotherapy for me now. Thanks a lot Dorothy.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:56 pm
Little bit harsh that, I think mushypancakes.

She isn't here to be berated and I'm sure she isn't bragging either.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:02 pm
Only messin' CoastRat. Clowns just scare me a bit.

:wink:
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:09 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
Only messin' CoastRat. Clowns just scare me a bit.

:wink:

Yeah, I know you were. And you'd be surprised at how often I run into people of all ages who are terrified of clowns. More common than you might think.

Although if given half a chance, I would win them over with my wit and charm. Cool

Now back to the topic at hand. Run away ironicbliss. Ok, enough said.
Y'all have a good day. You too ironicbliss. Hope you make the right decision here. Good luck.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:17 pm
I think some clowns can be........... sexy Embarrassed

as for the topic at hand, I am pro choice, only because I have had to have an abortion for reasons beyond my control and dont ever want to see a woman stuck in the situation i was in with out a way to save her body.

having said that.. I would weigh in on the abortion thing too.. but I wont..

I will say this-

Since when did women find all they wanted in a man, and have that include them being married??

Uh.. come on lady.
You dont need people to tell you that he is a waste of your time.
Sex is good. Sex is fun, yes yes yes..

But who else is he having sex with? Have you gotten tested for any diseases he could be giving you?

Would he demand you have an abortion if you got pregnant from him?

Would he embarass you and call you a whore if his wife found out?

Does he give a **** about ya?

doesnt sound like it to me.

A responsible man, if he was choosing to leave a marriage, would seperate first, have sex with another woman later.

An immature , selfish man would hide it from his wife and screw everyone who believed his sob story.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:19 pm
But then again, this isnt all about the man

I mean, he isnt having sex with just himself here either....

Why did you lower your standards and think you only deserved married men anyway?
You dont realize you are worth more then that? Or are we missing something ?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:35 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I think some clowns can be........... sexy Embarrassed

Sexy!!!! Man, if I were a single clown, I would have to hop on a plane and track you down. But alas, my wife tells me I am not single. But she added that I am sexy. I'm a lucky clown.

Ok, now back to the topic again. Sorry for the interruption.
0 Replies