Marriage, why do people do it?

Bohne

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:20 am
[quote="Montana"]I have assets that I worked hard all my life for and I'm just not willing to give half of what I own to anyone, so if I ever do decide to get married or even live with a man for 6+ months, he'll have to be willing to sign a prenup.
I keep what's mine and he keeps what's his :-D[/quote]

My quote is:
What's mine is yours and what's yours is yours, too!

Very Happy

But in reality we don't even have a joint account, and everything works just fine!
In theory, my husband has access to everything I own, but I know he works hard for his money, too, and is not interested in mine at all!
I guess the magic word is trust!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:38 am
Why did I get married? Well, my girl-friend at the time asked me to go to this special Saturday church service. After giving it a lot of thought, I decided I would go. Afterall, she was my girlfriend and she really never asked me for much. So I cut short my golf game that morning and got to the church just before two o'clock. I was met by several friends and quickly ushered to the front of the church. I thought maybe I was being given some kind of special award or something since I saw so many people I knew sitting there. Even my parents were there. My mom was smiling, although I thought I detected a tear in her eye. I was beginning to get a bit embarrased about all the attention. I mean, I couldn't recall doing anything to deserve any recognition, thus, being a humble clown, I tried to leave through the back door, but my brother, who was standing beside me, just held on to me to keep me from leaving. He mentioned something about my being a lucky guy, thus reinforcing my strong suspicion that the church was honoring me with some kind of monetary award. So even though I couldn't think of anything I had done special lately, I decided to stick around anyway, just in case. When Tammy and her dad came walking down the aisle, her dressed in white, I had the fleeting thought that we must be here to sacrifice a virgin. Then I remembered it was a Lutheran church, so I got really confused. The preacher said some things I didn't really catch, and then my brother nudged me in the ribs and whispered for me to say "I do." I looked at him, then at the preacher and said "I do what?' He said, "That's good enough." As Tammy and I walked out of the church, I kept muttering something about wanting my award. People kept congratulating us, but I didn't know what for. The rest of the evening I spent in a total daze, trying to figure out what marvelous thing I had done to deserve this ceremony. People gave me gifts and money and stuff. So it must have been something really grand. I didn't want people to think I had no idea what I was being honored for, so I just played along and thanked everyone.

Imagine my surprise at around midnight that night, when I pulled up in front of Tammy's parent's house to drop her off, and she asked what in tarnation I was doing. I told her I was getting her home before her curfew. When she informed me that she wanted me to take her to a hotel, I must admit that I went into a state of shock. But it suddenly all became clear to me. The church, the minister, the food, the gifts...my God, I was married!!!

That was 25 years ago this June 12th, and I am still surprised every morning to wake up with the most beautiful woman in my part of the country. I'm sure glad I didn't decide to play the back nine that day.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:51 am
Is that a true story, CR? Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:53 am
Bohne wrote:
[quote="Montana"]I have assets that I worked hard all my life for and I'm just not willing to give half of what I own to anyone, so if I ever do decide to get married or even live with a man for 6+ months, he'll have to be willing to sign a prenup.
I keep what's mine and he keeps what's his :-D

My quote is:
What's mine is yours and what's yours is yours, too!

Very Happy

But in reality we don't even have a joint account, and everything works just fine!
In theory, my husband has access to everything I own, but I know he works hard for his money, too, and is not interested in mine at all!
I guess the magic word is trust![/color][/quote]

Yup, what I need is a man a can trust :-D

Trust to sign the prenup Laughing
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:30 am
Montana wrote:

That's what I tell the kids.

I really did play golf the morning I got married, although it was putt-putt. Myself, my best man and my groomsmen all went out and played in order to pass the time. I told Tammy from the get go that she was to let me know the day, the time and the place for the wedding. I would do my part by showing up. lol

Of course, I left out the best part. We misplaced one of my groomsmen right before the wedding was to start. Then there were the repeated threats from my wife's aunts during the reception about what they would do to me if I ever did anything to hurt her. Which might explain the longevity of our marriage. I'm still waiting for them to kick the bucket so I can be mean to her.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:42 am
Your avatar suits you, CR. Laughing

Congratulations, and Happy Anniversary!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:46 am
Eva wrote:
Your avatar suits you, CR. Laughing

Congratulations, and Happy Anniversary!

Thank you. And that is really me on my Avatar. I'm one handsome clown, don't you think?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:53 am
Marriage, why do people do it?

To secure rights in property.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:05 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Montana wrote:

That's what I tell the kids.

I really did play golf the morning I got married, although it was putt-putt. Myself, my best man and my groomsmen all went out and played in order to pass the time. I told Tammy from the get go that she was to let me know the day, the time and the place for the wedding. I would do my part by showing up. lol

Of course, I left out the best part. We misplaced one of my groomsmen right before the wedding was to start. Then there were the repeated threats from my wife's aunts during the reception about what they would do to me if I ever did anything to hurt her. Which might explain the longevity of our marriage. I'm still waiting for them to kick the bucket so I can be mean to her.

Laughing Awesome story. You're a hoot Laughing

Another Happy Anniversery :-D
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 02:54 pm
May I ask how old you are, OGIONIK?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:07 pm
In advance, happy anniversary, CR.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 05:17 pm
25 years! Congratulations, CoastalRat. Glad you showed up at that celebration...
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 05:29 am
Thanks y'all. My wife got to read what I wrote about how we got married and she said to pass along something to everyone. She says the real reason it has lasted so long is that she doesn't know where else she could go and get a good laugh every day. After all, have any of you ever seen a naked clown.

Something tells me she didn't mean that as a compliment.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:16 am
Laughing Oh, so you're both funny Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:30 am
Funny that the initial poster has never come back to make a coment, but on another thread blasted away at marriage and how it's just a business transaction.

He should come back and discuss that here.

While reading the answer, I gave this question some thought. I realized the "love" aspect didn't cover the whole thing for me.

The answer is......I wanted to be a wife. In addition, I wanted to be a wife to the man I married.

You might ask, "Why did you want to be a wife"?

The answer would be the same if I was asked...."Why did you want to be a doctor, an artist, salesperson, gardener, house painter, etc"

It isn't strictly for the business end of it, although that's undeniably there. It's something I enjoy, am good at, and can see myself happily doing the rest of my life.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:39 am
Yeah, I never thought about the "business" aspect of marriage. Didn't occur to me to think about it. All I knew for sure was that Tammy said no sex until we were married. After doing a survey and finding out that nobody else would have sex with me (without my having to pay for it), I gave in and accepted her marriage proposal.

Had my wife known what sex was like with a clown, she would never have proposed.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:41 am
Marriage for many people has little to do with a piece of paper and more to do with the commitment of binding your life together with someone else, which doesn't require a ceremony to do.

What you should be asking is why do people feel the need to bond with someone else for life?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:41 am
Laughing I would never marry for business. Hell, I may never find anyone to take me off my hands Shocked
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 07:48 am
If my wife ever wises up and dumps me Montana, I'll come looking for you to take you off your hands. Cool

And if this clown would be willing to do that, I'm sure there is someone else out there who would. You just gotta find him and trick him into coming to the wedding ceremony. Make the church look like a bowling alley or something. Better yet, have the ceremony in a bowling alley. He'll never know what hit him. Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 08:02 am
hmm...I guess when I say business, I mean the business of daily living...the buying a home, doing taxes, you know, the financial stuff, which even in marriage you need a good business partner, one that has the same vision of the future (or similar at least)

People break up more over money than other reasons, so, there is something to marriage that involves being able to actually work well with another.

That's ok, it can be fun. You're both working, saving and anticipating the rewards of your work. You both decide where you're going to live, what kind of cars to buy, all that stuff. That's business to me.
0 Replies