Marriage, why do people do it?

boomerang

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 10:22 am
You're so very welcome, gus.

That was oh.... 18? years ago.

Everything was perfect until those awful gay people came along and ruined marriage for the rest of us.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 10:26 am
Yes, that's why I am all for it that gay people should be allowed to marry.
Let them feel the pain too.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 10:48 am
personally, I think we should do away with 'marriage' and allow for all unions to be civil unions with optional blessings (without any legal benefits attached) bestowed by one's chosen religion.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 12:42 pm
Optional blessings.

Like, now I lay me down to sleep? Or, We thank you father for this great jazz collection on wax?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 01:44 pm
the (now) mrs h and i decided that taking a honeymoon cruise would be a splendid idea . so we booked the "cruise" , married and left on our honeymoon cruise for canada .
since we only bought a one-way ticket , we are still here Laughing
and we didn't even need a "green' card - canada welcomed pretty well anyone who had the fare for a one way ticket - it would have even been possible to get a loan from the canadian government to pay for the ticket !
shows you that we were "very valuable" to canada Very Happy
hbg
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 02:23 pm
I too married for a green card. She lived across the street and I got tired having to show my passport every time I went for a conjugal visit
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 02:27 pm
I got married because I didn't want people to say, "Why the hell is she hanging around so long with him if she isn't even married to him? Like this, I just shut everyone up! Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:36 am
We did it for the gifts.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:46 am
I'm still wondering why, after all these years, I wasn't smart enough to get married to some rich guy Confused
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:48 am
Actaully, marriage scares me Shocked
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:48 am
That's a whole new thread, Montana.

"Things our Mother told us that we shoulda listened to cause now I know she's right."
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:49 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 10:08 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
The first stage is the "Anywhere" stage. You do it anywhere... the elevator, the boat, the kitchen sink, the hammock, on top of your mother-in-law, at the Monster Truck Rally.....anywhere!

Second stage is the "Bedroom" stage. At this point in the relationship you keep the sexual activities confined to the bedroom.

The third stage is the "Hallway" stage.

That's when you pass each other in the hall and say, "Fock you!"

Now that I think of it, I imagine I never got married because we made it to the 3rd stage before the alter.

I get it now!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 10:13 am
Our 10th wedding anniversary is in June and I still don't know why people get married. I just know I thought it was a good idea for us and I still think it is. I kinda like it when Stefan calls me 'my wife'. It sounds so grown up!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 10:31 am
In these parts, if you've lived together for 6 months you're considered common law which also scares the crap out of me.
Another way for the government to control people to make sure they get all those tax dollars they're entitled too!

I have assets that I worked hard all my life for and I'm just not willing to give half of what I own to anyone, so if I ever do decide to get married or even live with a man for 6+ months, he'll have to be willing to sign a prenup.
I keep what's mine and he keeps what's his :-D
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 10:39 am
one thing we are still not used to even after living in canada for 50 years ,
is when someone says : " ... and THE wife said to me ..." , or : "i said to THE wife ... " , or we have even heard - but less so now : "meet THE wife" .
must be an old canadian custom :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 03:32 pm
I have been married since before many here were born and have no regrets.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 04:44 pm
au wrote :

Quote:
I have been married since before many here were born and have no regrets.

elderly couple appearing on quiz show ; she is a little frail , while he is a agile and chipper old chap .
host to husband : "how long have you been married ? "
husband : " 50 years ! "
host to husband : "you are in surprisingly good shape for your age ; can you tell us how you remained so healthy ? "
husband : "when we married we agreed that if we ever had an argument , one of us would leave the house for the rest of the day "
host - looking puzzled : "what has that got to do with staying healthy ? "
husband : "that way i was able to stay in the fresh air most of my married life "
Laughing Laughing Laughing
hbg(not always out in the fresh air)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:34 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 03:12 am
I am skipping all the other answers, and just answer the question:

I guess I married, because I was asked!
Very Happy

It did not cross my mind at the time, not after only 2 1/2 years of dating...
But it brought some advantages.
Not financially, but being the wife of a soldier, you know that you will be notified, if anything happens.
As a girlfriend you are really a nothing!
That brought me peace of mind!

And I never regrettet getting married!
0 Replies