Canada -- an alternative for some Americans???

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:08 pm
:-D
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:11 pm
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would use "literacy rate" and "Adirondacks" in the same sentence. Kinda oxymoronic, ain't it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:15 pm
Hey!
Cut that out. The Adirondacks might as well be in Canada - we're always sending snow plows over the bridge to help 'em out - so we've gotta be nice about them.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:15 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I don't understand McGentrixs' problem with Canada..the Adirondacks is like Canada climate wise....only discernible difference is the considerably lower literacy rate in the Adirondacks isn't it?

No, it stems from the interactions I have had with various Canadians.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:19 pm
Were they insufficiently pro-American?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:20 pm
Sheesh. And I just went on record as agreeing with McG about something. That'll teach me. Confused
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:22 pm
Not all Canadians, ehBeth. I just happen to have some close friends that live in Guelph and Toronto...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:24 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Hey!
Cut that out. The Adirondacks might as well be in Canada - we're always sending snow plows over the bridge to help 'em out - so we've gotta be nice about them.

Yeah, i remember when Mel offered to send plows to Buffalo, and the mayor turned him down out of some misguided sense of civic pride. Then Buffalo's street crews rather acidly pointed out that they had been puttin' in 16-18 hours a day for days, and suddenly Buffalo's mayor was delighted to have Toronto road crews drive down.

Quite an object lesson in the climatic dynamics of "lake effect" snow. Buffalo got several feet of snow, Toronto, on the opposite (northern) shore, got barely enough to blow around the streets.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:31 pm
My family is originally from the Maritimes and I feel very comfortable up there, but that may be just me. But many people I know, some of whom have Canadian ancestry are beginning to feel very uncomfortable in the states. This country and it's culture seems to be developing a very sour tone.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:32 pm
I was thinking about the other end of the lake. It used to be a fairly regular thing in the 1960's and 70's, and then again more recently, for the snowplows to head over the bridge toward Watertown. Watertown gets buried pretty frequently.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:54 pm
My maternal grandfather was a commercial fisherman from Newfoundland, and probably the template for the Quint character on Jaws as I recall him. A true old salt.......I barely know any of my maternal relatives, but man I loved that old guy. His name was Ned Haines and he would tell anyone to kiss his ass in about two seconds. I guess the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree after all.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 01:56 pm
Sounds like my kind of guy Bear ;-)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:38 pm
Setanta
I was just referring to those who would rather switch than fight. That was the reason given for fleeing the US for Canada. As for being a matched set with McG. please have a heart.

I have been in Canada on business and pleasure many times and agree there is very little difference between English Canada and the US. However, French Canada is a different can of worms.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:44 pm
au
The poster only said it as for personal and political reasons. They were not specific about their reasons.

Some people would rather switch than fight because many of us got tired of fighting. If you have to spend your life fighting, what's the point in living?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:57 pm
Montana
The inference was there. And in fact it has been expressed many times on a2k. As I said those are the people I was referring to. People the world over want to come and be able to stay in the US. However, It would appear that some do not appreciate what we have. To them I say God speed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 02:59 pm
au1929 wrote:
As for being a matched set with McG. please have a heart.

You have my profound apology, Boss. That was an unwarranted slur. And although it probably doesn't help much, i only meant in regard to this topic.

As for French Canada, i've enjoyed it, but then, i speak fluent French, and have always enjoyed the company of those who hold the English in contempt.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:10 pm
au1929 wrote:
Montana
The inference was there. And in fact it has been expressed many times on a2k. As I said those are the people I was referring to. People the world over want to come and be able to stay in the US. However, It would appear that some do not appreciate what we have. To them I say God speed.

One must not assume. The poster wasn't asking for opinions as to their reasons for wanting to make the move. They simply wanted information from people who have made the move and they certainly didn't deserve some of the responses they got. I don't know what fumes some people so much when someone simply wants to move to another country. I certainly wouldn't take offense to anyone who decided to move away from Canada. Why should I or anyone else care?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:16 pm
I live in French Canada and everyone here speaks very good English. Since I have trouble holding a conversation in French, I speak English and people who know that I understand French will speak French to me. Even if I didn't understand French, I would have no problem communicating. I'm sure there are areas in Canada where some don't speak any english at all, but I haven't been there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:54 pm
Montana wrote:
I'm sure there are areas in Canada where some don't speak any english at all, but I haven't been there.

You've never been to Toronto, eh?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 03:59 pm
Nope, can't say I have. I did think Toronto was mainly English, so I learned something new today, eh :-)
0 Replies