Insulting people in lieu of reason/logic is the liberal way.

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:39 am
Okay, what the hell, I said to myself, why not? I took your challenge, Foxfyre, but not for the whole thread. I'm just too lazy for that. Here are my findings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dlowan -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- liberal

dys -- personally insulting -- independent

Kuvasz -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- liberal

Joe Nation -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- liberal

Parados -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- liberal

Reverend Hellhound -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- conservative

coastal rat -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- conservative

cycloptichorn -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- liberal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't count you, me, or anyone whose ideology I wasn't fairly certain of.

So that's five liberals and two conservatives who were not being personally insulting in lieu of reason or logic. One person was personally insulting in lieu of reason or logic, and he was an independent.

So are you ready to retract that stupid, inane, and ignorant statement now?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:40 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm terribly sorry if you think my being unaffected by arguments, reasoned or not, is something I should be criticized for. Personally, I think arguments, reasoned or not, that arrive at wrong conclusions shouldn't affect or influence people who are getting it right.

Explain to me how a well reasoned, logically sound argument arrives at a wrong conclusion? And how do you define "getting it right".

Quote:
But nevertheless, congratulations. You have now officially joined those who argue 'the liberal way'.

Explain what this means.

Quote:
And what evidence does one present to counter personal perception?

That's what we've been asking you all along.

Quote:
Especially when the perception is argued by one who is arguing 'the liberal way' as I define that? Smile

It was an "official" designation just a few sentences ago. Now, it's entirely self-defined as you say. What is that supposed to mean to me other than you are out of ammunition and are left with nothing but "label and dismiss" otherwise known as "the Foxfyre way"? Whatever tactic you choose now, one thing is obvious, you are out of ammunition, you have nothing left to argue, what feeble arguments you have presented have been obliterated with ease more than once, you've contradicted yourself more than once, and most importantly, you are no longer making sense.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:43 am
kickycan wrote:
Okay, what the hell, I said to myself, why not? I took your challenge, Foxfyre, but not for the whole thread. I'm just too lazy for that. Here are my findings.

Reverend Hellhound -- not personally insulting in lieu of reason/logic -- conservative

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So that's five liberals and two conservatives who were not being personally insulting in lieu of reason or logic. One person was personally insulting in lieu of reason or logic, and he was an independent.

Putting their posts in the mix would be helpful. Did you really look to see who of these was focused on criticizing me for my point of view rather than making an argument for why the statement itself is incorrect? I think you probably didn't.

(P.S. Joe objected to being characterized as 'liberal'. I try to respect things like that. And I have clearly stated my ideology.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:45 am
kickycan wrote:
but always fair and balanced because I'm not a bigot, I insult everyone equally.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:46 am
(I think that was joefromchicago.)

If you have an example that contradicts kicky's research, perhaps you could post it. It would go faster that way.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:53 am
Foxfyre wrote:
kickycan wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Putting their posts in the mix would be helpful. Did you really look to see who of these was focused on criticizing me for my point of view rather than making an argument for why the statement itself is incorrect? I think you probably didn't.

(P.S. Joe objected to being characterized as 'liberal'. I try to respect things like that. And I have clearly stated my ideology.)

I stand by what I saw in the thread. I saw a lot of people criticising your point of view, but not you personally. If you disagree, then show me where I went wrong. If not, then I can only conclude that you have no case to make, and will await the retraction of your stupid ignorant comment.

And that was JoefromChicago who objected to being characterized as "liberal."

And furthermore, follow this thread for a page or two for further proof that insult in lieu of reason or logic is common to all ideologies.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 10:54 am
dyslexia wrote:
kickycan wrote:
but always fair and balanced because I'm not a bigot, I insult everyone equally.

I aspire to that kind of noble objectivity.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:01 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm terribly sorry if you think my being unaffected by arguments, reasoned or not, is something I should be criticized for. Personally, I think arguments, reasoned or not, that arrive at wrong conclusions shouldn't affect or influence people who are getting it right.

Explain to me how a well reasoned, logically sound argument arrives at a wrong conclusion? And how do you define "getting it right".

A well reasoned and logically sound argument is quite different from a reasoned argument. A little precision would go a long way toward not mischaracterizing what a person says. Both, however, can arrive at a wrong conclusion as both could miss something that would change the conclusion they reach.

"Getting it right" is telling it as it actually is, not as one wishes it to be. And I am a far better judge of what I mean when I say something than anybody else can be. Most conservatives understand that concept better than most liberals do, I think, but that obsevation is part of my personal bias.

Quote:
Quote:
But nevertheless, congratulations. You have now officially joined those who argue 'the liberal way'.

Explain what this means.

You don't pay attention very well do you? "The liberal way" is to focus on and criticize the person making the argument rather than focusing on the argument itself.

Quote:
Quote:
And what evidence does one present to counter personal perception?

That's what we've been asking you all along.

Okay you got me on this one. My intent was to say "what evidence does one pesent to counter personal perception of oneself?" I can appreciate how you would have misinterpreted that one.

So far as perception of what 'the liberal way' is, I have had no problem whatsoever explaining what I meant by that. I wonder why the liberals are having so much problem explaining why the statement is not true rather than making post after post after post that supports my point of view on it?

Quote:
Quote:
Especially when the perception is argued by one who is arguing 'the liberal way' as I define that? Smile

It was an "official" designation just a few sentences ago. Now, it's entirely self-defined as you say. What is that supposed to mean to me other than you are out of ammunition and are left with nothing but "label and dismiss" otherwise known as "the Foxfyre way"? Whatever tactic you choose now, one thing is obvious, you are out of ammunition, you have nothing left to argue, what feeble arguments you have presented have been obliterated with ease more than once, you've contradicted yourself more than once, and most importantly, you are no longer making sense

I have been quit specific in how I defined 'the liberal way". I have not presumed to even leave that open ended so far as the context in which the phrase was used in the thread starter.

Out of ammunition? You've got to be kidding. You're the one who is focused on me and making characterizations about me....which, as I define it, is 'the liberal way' of argument.

I daresay I am certainly capable of contradicting myself, but I have not done so in this discussion. Let me redefine my point:

1) The phrase 'the liberal way" was directed to a specific person and was used in a specific context in a specific point that was being made. It was not me, but rather Kicky, who took it out of context and presented it as if it was a blanket statement.

2) In the way in which I used the phrase, "the liberal way" expresses my opinion that liberals are far more likely than conservatives to focus on and criticize and belittle or insult a person making a point or argument than they are likely to focus on the point or argument itself.

3) Finally, I offered several suggestions in which a similar phrases would be used in other circumstances to illustrate that the phrase was not intended to be a blanket condemnation of all liberals or all liberal arguments. The more honest on this thread will acknowledge that I quite clearly explained that by via those illustrations and previously to that as well.

Now if you can focus on these three things and represent them honestly, you can be pronounced cured of making your argument 'the liberal' way. Otherwise, you aren't going to 'get it right'.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:02 am
As I said - entirely predictably.

Those of you who think this will end in a satisfying fashion are dead wrong; it will merely grind to a halt as you give up in frustration.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:04 am
I also can say that it is the 'liberal way', at least among some liberals, to be dissatisfied with a discussion that does not conclude with everybody agreeing with the liberal. But of course they illustrate this by making their point 'in the liberal way'.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:09 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I also can say that it is the 'liberal way', at least among some liberals, to be dissatisfied with a discussion that does not conclude with everybody agreeing with the liberal. But of course they illustrate this by making their point 'in the liberal way'.

For years, you have exhibited the exact same behaviors; a stubborn refusal to acknowledge that others' logic is right, and an incomplete understanding of your own. I've seen this exact same conversation play out many times, to the same ending, every time. There's one common thread in each one of the discussions, and that's the incredibly sh*tty logic and intellectual dishonesty displayed by the same Conservative who has been present for each conversation.

As I said - entirely and completely predictable.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:15 am
"The liberal way" is to focus on and belittle, insult, criticize etc. the person rather than the argument the person is making. Kicky, you want to include Cyclops' post as not fitting that definition too?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:15 am
Foxfyre wrote:
1) The phrase 'the liberal way" was directed to a specific person and was used in a specific context in a specific point that was being made. It was not me, but rather Kicky, who took it out of context and presented it as if it was a blanket statement.

As I told you before, a blanket statement is a blanket statement whether you are telling it to a specific person or saying it in a speech to thousands.

I ask that you cease and desist with this disingenuous line of horseshit.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:18 am
kickycan wrote:
And that was JoefromChicago who objected to being characterized as "liberal."
Most commies do.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:18 am
Foxfyre wrote:
"The liberal way" is to focus on and belittle, insult, criticize etc. the person rather than the argument the person is making. Kicky, you want to include Cyclops' post as not fitting that definition too?

I'm only accurately describing the situation as any objective observer would, Fox. If you feel insulted or belittled, I suggest you examine your own posting.

Kicky is right that your argument in this thread is a disingenuous line of horseshit. That's a great way to describe it. And you've had several quite intelligent posters point out your errors. You just don't give a damn.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:23 am
FreeDuck wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Explain what this means.

You don't pay attention very well do you?

That sounds to me like a personal insult. Aren't you are a conservative?

Are you ready to retract your statement yet?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:23 am
Foxfyre wrote:

You don't pay attention very well do you?

Shocked Why Foxfyre, that wasn't nice at all. In fact, it was a tad insulting.

Quote:
"The liberal way" is to focus on and criticize the person making the argument rather than focusing on the argument itself.

Great, now demonstrate how I have argued this way.

Quote:
I wonder why the liberals are having so much problem explaining why the statement is not true rather than making post after post after post that supports my point of view on it?

I don't know about "the liberals" but several people have presented the case very well that what you say is at least applicable to both "sides" (as if there were only two) and at most flatly untrue. You haven't responded to those and haven't argued them but have instead resorted to dismissing people.

Quote:

Out of ammunition? You've got to be kidding. You're the one who is focused on me and making characterizations about me....which, as I define it, is 'the liberal way' of argument.

Quote me or withdraw it. What characterizations about you have I made? I think you'll find that I characterize the way you debate. Which as you say, is permissible. After all, you have (mis)characterized the way I debate, have you not?

Quote:
I daresay I am certainly capable of contradicting myself, but I have not done so in this discussion. Let me redefine my point:

How does this change anything?

Quote:
2) In the way in which I used the phrase, "the liberal way" expresses my opinion that liberals are far more likely than conservatives to focus on and criticize and belittle or insult a person making a point or argument than they are likely to focus on the point or argument itself.

So why even type out number one and then flatly contradict it here. Either it was about that one person and the way they debate or it was generalized to mean that this is an inherently liberal trait. Which is it?

Quote:
3) Finally, I offered several suggestions in which a similar phrases would be used in other circumstances to illustrate that the phrase was not intended to be a blanket condemnation of all liberals or all liberal arguments. The more honest on this thread will acknowledge that I quite clearly explained that by via those illustrations and previously to that as well.

Where are these more honest and noble debaters who can understand the distinction you are attempting to make? By generalizing your insult, you indicate that more than just the poster you were speaking with are guilty of it, but fewer than all. Where does that leave someone who wonders which group they are in in your esteem and who wants to know whether they should respond to such an accusation? I find it weaselly and cowardly to phrase insults that way. Better to be direct and accept responsibility for your accusation.

Quote:
Now if you can focus on these three things and represent them honestly, you can be pronounced cured of making your argument 'the liberal' way. Otherwise, you aren't going to 'get it right'.

Pronounced "cured" by who, the Queen? I'm really not interested in your arbitrary judgment of me and whether I "get it right". You are not someone I look to as an authority on this matter.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:28 am
Seems as though the "liberal" way is to espouse the truth and show Foxfyre to be intrinsically wrong.

But then again, this goes right along with the blind, stupid, vitriolic hatred that some conservatives direct at those who question this administration and who exercise their Constitutional right of dissent.

I think Homer Simpson demonstrates this conservative idiocy brilliantly:

http://img.youtube.com/vi/WAdlv6EExr4/2.jpg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:28 am
Quote:
"The liberal way" is to focus on and criticize the person making the argument rather than focusing on the argument itself.

The problem with this whole discussion is that this is an idiotic, generalized opinion, but Fox demands that people argue for or against it as if it were a fact. As if you could provide evidence for or against such a thing. You can't, because it isn't a fact or figure or anything that can be proven or disproven by any sort of discussion at all.

So, we have several pages of Liberals attempting to use sound reason to point out this fact, while the original writer of this fact steadfastly insists that she is right, everyone else is wrong, and their evidence doesn't matter. Eventually people lose patience with her mendacity and begin to point out that her argument is not only logically and intellectually bankrupt, but asinine as well. Poster in question declares victory and goes on living in her fantasy world where she is correct, and all liberals are incapable of making good arguments without insulting.

Entirely Predictable

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 11:31 am
Re: Insulting people in lieu of reason/logic is the liberal
kickycan wrote:
At least that's what Foxfyre says.

Foxfyre wrote:
Insult in lieu of reason, logic, and/or verifiable facts is the liberal way, not the conservative or independent way.

Do you agree?

U-oh -- she found us out.
0 Replies