Illegal Immigration

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:36 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
I think you missed my point. I would much rather be a victim of credit card theft or some financial loss than on the wrong end of a murder.

Me too. However, I can garantee I'll experiance fraud in my life.

T
K
O
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 06:35 pm
Hokie,
I'd agree with that, if we had a choice. But largely on the basis of some white collar lying we are in Iraq. A soldier is as dead from an IED as from a foot pad with a blackjack. Exclamation

Consequently I suspect that we, as a society and as persons, are more in danger from white thieves and liars than we have ever been from any other subgroup.

Yet we fail to castigate, punish, or remove from society in any meaningful way those who abuse the publics trust. Yet they are the greatest danger Exclamation

This skews the statistics, and also our perceptions of any particular sub-group that we do not happen to belong to. Crying or Very sad

IF we, the body politic, could be made aware that the white collar crime is at least as reprehensible as a housebreaker then at least we will have made a start toward correcting the problem (of regarding other subgroups as having more criminal tendencies than ours, whatever it is)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 01:56 pm
Interesting article.

US city issues immigrant ID card
A city in Connecticut has become the first in the United States to issue identity cards to illegal immigrants.
New Haven - best known as the home of Yale University - is offering the cards to all its residents, including to some 12,000 undocumented immigrants.

City leaders say the plan will enable immigrants to open bank accounts and make them less vulnerable to crime.

But the ID card scheme, which comes as some other cities get tough on illegal immigrants, has also prompted protests.

New Haven Mayor John DeStefano said the cards, which were approved last month, would make immigrants more willing to report crime.

"The simple straightforward purpose here is to build a stronger community," he said.

"You can't police a community of people who won't talk to our cops."

'Welcome mat'

But opponents said the move would encourage illegal immigration.

Bill Farrel, of Southern Connecticut Citizens for Immigration Reform, said: "It's going to be a welcome mat for illegal aliens to come to the region, flood the labour market and dry up working-class and middle-class jobs."

BBC Americas editor Will Grant says the controversial move stands in stark contrast to the approach towards illegal immigrants adopted in other parts of the US.

New laws and proposals in more than 90 cities or counties across the country include prohibiting landlords from renting to illegal immigrants and penalising firms that employ them.

Last month, US President George W Bush's plans for immigration reform collapsed in the Senate amid strong opposition.
0 Replies

MARI7MAR

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 11:55 pm
I respect your opinions, but I must honestly say that most of you seem pretty ignorant. Can any of you acknowledge the fact that these "illegal immigrants" are beneficial to the United States? They take jobs that others are not willing to do. They come to this country to better themselves- who are we to say anything if we are the ones who took everything they had in the first place? Why must we be so selfish?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:56 am
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 11:15 am
The irony of it all; even our government who's supposed to control illegal immigrant are themselves guilty of hiring illegals. We knew that our government was a big fraud, but they seem to keep their jobs anywhos.
0 Replies