Illegal Immigration

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:18 am
There already exists a path to citizenship with right!!! They refuse to follow it. If they cannot abide by these laws to become a citizen, why should we believe they'll abide by any other laws once they get here?

You keep mentioning the church... just because a church does or supports something doesn't make it correct.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:38 am
USAF: You keep mentioning the church... just because a church does or supports something doesn't make it correct.

That should be obvious to anybody able to read, because church and pedophile has a long history..
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:44 am
Apparently it's not obvious to everyone. :-)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 12:42 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
There already exists a path to citizenship with right!!! They refuse to follow it. If they cannot abide by these laws to become a citizen, why should we believe they'll abide by any other laws once they get here?

You keep mentioning the church... just because a church does or supports something doesn't make it correct.

This is an fake line of argument. For a couple of reasons.

A path to citizenship is the most important issue. Most of the 12 million people we are talking about have never had a path to citizenship (legal or otherwise) ever. If we provide them with a path to citizenhip, most will take it immediately.

As far as the "refusal" to abide by laws, we can discuss this in a more appropriate thread.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 12:54 pm
I am bringing up the Evangelical church to counter the fake argument that the only reason Americans support immigrant rights is for "cheap labor".

This is an insult to millions of Americans who support compassionate immigration reform based on their values.

You are insulting Americans by lying about their motives.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 03:16 pm
I don't understand how you can say there is no path to citizenship. There is. You can apply for citizenship through the office of immigration and naturalization. Case in point: Arnold Schwartzeneiger is a legal, naturalized citizen of this country who was born in Austria.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 03:21 pm
Read carefully, and then respond to what I said...

Quote:

Most of the 12 million people we are talking about have never had a path to citizenship (legal or otherwise) ever. If we provide them with a path to citizenhip, most will take it immediately.

The 12 million people we are discussing are not Arnold.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 03:48 pm
that 5 grand it costs to become a citizen woul d be better spent on feeding their families, yes these people choose to feed their families over obeying a law.

I know i know! what are they thinking? PREPOSTEROUS!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 04:45 pm
We're all jumping the gun; congress has not enforced past immigration laws, and they are now having problems making up new ones for the 12 million plus illegals in this country. More illegals keep coming through our borders, and the governments inability to control our borders while trying to create new laws is ridiculous! If past immigration laws are any indication of how new laws will be enforced, it's a big waste of time. Somebody with enough gumption has to stop the flow, then enforce the laws already on the books. That's step one; then they can consider revising the laws they wish to enforce in the future. All else is futile.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 04:58 pm
Cicerone,

You have your priorities, I have different priorities. To me, and to many other Americans, compassion for the people who are here is very important.

Nothing will be done without compromise. The compromise that will work is obvious-- a path to citizenship combined with increased border and workplace enforcement.

The defeat of the compromise was not a victory for either side. It is, in fact, a bad thing for the country that the status quo will continue.

The hardliners who are opposing compromise are celebrating. But it is the politicians (mainly Republican) who couldn't do what it took when the opportunity for a resolution came who are responsible for two more years of the same. The only consolation is that historically, American voters punish this kind of obdurate refusal to agree on a solution.

This isn't good for anyone.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 05:13 pm
Compassion is misplaced when we don't even know what the immigration laws will look like when congress gets their jobs done.

There are two sides to this issue, and no side seems to be able to compromise their position. You got solutions? Tell congress. I'm only an observer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 05:44 pm
My compassion is spent on universal health care; I've advocated for universal health care for as long as I can remember. I believe universal health care has a much better chance for our country than any new immigration laws. It's only being "realistic" about what our government will do and will not do, or is capable of addressing on a national level. Our county has universal health care for all children. Arnold is even talking about a state universal health care. It's got much support from both the citizens and governments in California.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 06:35 pm
My side did compromise. This bill had things that people on my side liked (the path to citizenship), and this bill had things that people on my side didn't like (the touchback provision, high fines and loss of family ties).

That is what a compromise looks like. It was the Republicans, reacting to the hardliners in their base that killed this compromise.

((By the way, I agree with you on health care))
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:06 pm
June 9, 2007
Kennedy Plea Was Last Gasp for Immigration Bill
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:44 pm
many of these people pay that $5000 to coyotes to get them across the border anyway. so when they become citizens and moves their families, which tend to be large here.... what are we going to do? they are unskilled labor so they won't make enough money to support themselves in our economy. which means they will end up on social wellfare programs and will end up being an even larger drain on our economy. **** - we might as well just anex mexico at this rate.
0 Replies

Achilles the great

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 12:27 pm
Why reward them though for breaking our laws. Deport them and let them become citizens the right way. The LEGAL way.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:49 pm
If a man comes and asks for work it isn't my duty to query him or her on any subject that does not affect his ability to do the job.

As an appreciative native citizen of the United States I have a lot of compassion for people who were born and required to live under a government that is even more corrupt than the one that currently runs the United States.

I cannot support a "Berlin Wall" in Texas.

If a government cannot assure an opportunity for it's citizens to aspire to a decent life then it is illegitimate, incompetent,and corrupt. This is the condition in most of the world.

I could support "Regime Change" for Mexico and much of the Americas. We have done so well with it in Viet-Nam, Afghanistan and Iraq. Crying or Very sad

The United States immigration problem is caused by failing, or failed government policies in the U.S., Mexico, Cuba, and others. It certainly is not the fault of the person who is forced to leave friends, family, and familiarity to seek his livelihood someplace else Exclamation

Personally I think that Mr.Guillotines invention does not suffer from overuse. Violation of the public trust is probably the most serious offense against humanity. It is being violated in almost every country in the world today. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:59 pm
akaMechs, Couldn't have said it any better myself. Thank you! Some people forget we're all humans on this planet trying to do well for our family and children. Many seem to lose that simple perspective.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:12 am
Immigration is only an issue when the Caucasian or Christian majority is threatened. See Immigration act of 1885.

When nothing but european immigrants were coming into the united states at first there were controlled communities. After time, these communities began intemingling and marrying. This was a melting pot. Hooray!

Then there were slaves, and then they were free. Then came the Chinese, and of course there were always the Native tribes in North America.

We have this hilarious notion of America being a melting pot, but European americans aren't willing to melt. They see it fit and propper for immigrants to come over to America as long as they are willing to assimilate American traditions, but never ever entertain the notion that these immigrants have the right to come over and influence the local, state and national homogeny. Ridiculous.

However, I do agree with pundits that immigrants should learn english, but not for their reasons. I'd encourage any human to learn english, just for it's universal use across the globe. I don't think it needs to be the official language of the USA, english is already the National language, and that is good enough.

White, Christian, English speakers are just terrified that their kid may come home one day with a sun tan and say "buenas dias" then watch Islamic cartoons for kids. Holy calamity! Scream insanity!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 10:09 am
Diest, Not totally true; our (Japanese) family is now made up of (many)Chinese (something I never anticipated as a youngster growing up in Sacramento), Dutch, German, Italian, Polynesian, British, black, Hispanic, and even some Japanese. My younger brother is a state legislator, and I was fortunate to have lunch with Norm Mineta when he was a congressman. My older brother introduced me to Mike Honda some years ago. There are several Asians in the California legislature, so Asians are making a difference.
0 Replies