Need Advice

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 06:38 pm
Ok I know It's been a while since I have asked for advice so for whoever read my last post of my ex boyfriend well we are only friends now. We are both in new relationships. He still calls me and says he wants me back but I have moved on. OK well Here is my problem Me and my boyfriend we get along really well and we have a lot in common but when we met he never really drank but now he drinks everyday. I try to make him stop because he already got in trouble for a DUI. But he doesn't care. I have tried to leave and not take him to the store when he wants to get it. I try to help but I Can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves. But I don't want to be in a relationship with someone that drinks all the time. I don't mind if he wants to drink every once in a while socially but he drinks by himself at all times of the day. I'm really worried and have said stuff to him but he doesn't want to hear it. His father is an alcoholic and I know it's a disease but everytime I tell him he shouldn't do it or I won't bring him to the store it starts a fight between us. He is always saying it's his life and for me to stay out of it. I love him and I am worried not only for his health but for him. He has a problem and he doesn't see it or just doesn't care. What should I do to help him before it gets any worse than it is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,500 • Replies: 66
No top replies

AziMythe

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 07:39 pm
Get him to drink more, faster, heavily.
The sooner he runs his thick head into a brick wall, the softer the impact will be, and the easier it will be to turn around.

If people try to hold him back from drinking, it will just allow him to get deeper and deeper into the drinking, acclimating over time, far beyond where he is now. Then it would take a horribly bigger catastrophe for him to hit his brick wall and admit he has a problem.

It's important that he have a catastrophe. Don't take that away from him.
Otherwise he will not turn around.
And if you move the brick wall further away from him, he'll be going much faster when he finally does hit it.

My other opinion is to listen when he tells you -- it's his life, and to stay out of it.
The only thing you can control is your own self, your own choices.

Drinkers really ought to be with drinkers, and sober people really ought to be with sober people.
Find your most compatible relationships, by exercising your own choices - vigorously!

There will always be alcoholics in the world, and sober people.
There are plenty of both to choose from. Which world do YOU choose to live in?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 10:45 pm
Re: Need Advice
shortygurl wrote:
I know it's a disease but everytime I tell him he shouldn't do it or I won't bring him to the store it starts a fight between us.

First of all, alcoholism is not a disease.

Quote:
He is always saying it's his life and for me to stay out of it. I love him and I am worried not only for his health but for him. He has a problem and he doesn't see it or just doesn't care. What should I do to help him before it gets any worse than it is.

If he's telling you it's his life and to stay out of it, then I'm sorry... but your new boyfriend doesn't care about you much, and his lifestyle is apparently not compatible with yours. You can end this relationship sooner or later. It's your choice. But it's not going to last long in any case. The best thing that you can do to help him is to leave him. Maybe it will motivate him to start getting his act together. Arguing won't.
0 Replies

shortygurl

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 10:55 am
yes it is a disease it is hereditery and since his father is an alcoholic he is more likely to be an alcoholic himself. I have tried walking away and I am just not sure if I can leave him I love him and I think my leaving him would cause him to drink even more.
0 Replies

shortygurl

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:03 am
Ok thats why lately I haven't been trying to stop him I let him do what he wants but he already got in trouble for drinking and driving and he has to pay court fees and go to drunk driving classes and that still doesn't stop him. I use to be a drinker myself and I do drink on occasion but I do not let it control my life anymore. I use to do the same thing as he does and I drank everyday to make my problems go away but it never worked the problems would just get worse. I guess I should just let him learn on his own. I see myself in him in a lot of ways but I realized I was becoming dependant on alcohol and I didn't want it to be like that so I wanted to grow up and live sober.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:45 pm
shortygurl--

Have you tried Al-Anon?
0 Replies

shortygurl

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 04:56 pm
No I have not but he has to go to AA meetings for his drinking and driving and I am thinking about going with him to support him. He needs all the support he can get
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 05:42 pm
It's good that he's going, so he recognizes that this is an issue.

But you can't save him from himself. One thing that may end up doing him the most good is not enabling him, and kind of letting him fall (of course you don't want others to be endangered or anything like that).

When I was still in school, I dated an alcoholic and the only thing that even got him within spitting distance of recovery was my leaving him and essentially pulling the support system out from under him. I have no idea if he is even still alive (this was over 20 years ago) but I did not continue to enable him and he did not turn into a lifelong headache and problem and heartache for me.

It's not just for his benefit that you leave, yanno.

Best to you, whatever you decide.
0 Replies

AziMythe

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 05:46 pm
Shortygurl --
If he hasn't bottomed out yet, all that support could easily be making it worse!

Honestly, does he ASK for support and THANK people for their support?
Is he seriously trying to stay sober by his own decision, going to counselors
or AA because he WANTS help and tries hard to get it?

Until he is truly trying to be sober with all his heart and soul,
whatever support people give to him just makes the alcohol easier to live with.

Don't create alcoholism. Leave.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 05:58 pm
shortygurl wrote:
yes it is a disease it is hereditery and since his father is an alcoholic he is more likely to be an alcoholic himself.

1. Hereditery is not a word
2. Alcoholism is not hereditary either
3. "Hereditary" does not mean "disease"
4. Alcoholism is not a disease. Period.

Quote:
I have tried walking away and I am just not sure if I can leave him I love him and I think my leaving him would cause him to drink even more.

I understand that. In that case, I don't think there's really anything you can do other than continuing to be your concerned self and letting this thing play itself out.

Quote:
shortygurl--
Have you tried Al-Anon?

Statistics show that members of alcoholics anonymous are no more likely to overcome their addictions than non-members. Worse than that, AA tactics are to brainwash a person into feeling like they are a worthless, helpless TOOL, incapable of making their own decisions, and that they should embrace god who sill solve all their problems.

In other words, it's a cult...and it's a bigger problem than alcoholism.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 06:13 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Statistics show that members of alcoholics anonymous are no more likely to overcome their addictions than non-members. Worse than that, AA tactics are to brainwash a person into feeling like they are a worthless, helpless TOOL, incapable of making their own decisions, and that they should embrace god who sill solve all their problems.

In other words, it's a cult...

oh stuh, I think I've just fallen in love with you.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 06:26 pm
stuh505 wrote:

In other words, it's a cult...

What statistics are you referring to?

What addictions to the non-members have?

How do you know that the AA tactics make a person feel like a worthless, helpless TOOL etc etc etc?

Where are you getting all this from?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:06 pm
Alright Mame let's start with the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous...

Quote:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable.

BS. The only way to overcome your addiction is to recognize that you are NOT powerless.

Quote:

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Do I even need to comment on this rotten tripe?

Quote:

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

Excuse the smell, I just barfed in the corner.

Quote:

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

Eh..

Quote:

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

I'm ready God, you can wave that magic wand now...anytime now...still not perfect Sad

You know, this stuff is just so ridiculous, that I don't even think it's possible for me to elucidate the idiocy of it any more than the words themselves already do...so here is the rest of it.

Quote:

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

And now you asks for statistics on the success-rate. The fact is that AA refuses to release any information on their success rates.

According to Pen & Teller who attempted to research it, the only piece of evidence they were able to get was a single graph...which I recognize as the same graph shown on this website, indicating a 95% dropout rate from AA

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-effectiveness.html#AA_dropouts

Also there is an 80-90% (or something) rate of a person overcoming their addiction on their own..if you watch Pen & Teller's Bullshit episode on AA they have evidence that the rate for AA is approximately identical, although you'd have to watch it because I didn't memorize it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:30 pm
Thank you, Stuh.

I've never seen their "bible", so I am now more enlightened. I had no idea God was involved, either. (It does sound awful, but probably no more awful than some religions out there.)

But on the whole, I would now have to agree with you.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:33 pm
I figured you would, Mame Smile And Chai, well...I've always had a secret crush on you anyway.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 08:09 pm
Re: Need Advice
shortygurl wrote:
But I don't want to be in a relationship with someone that drinks all the time. I don't mind if he wants to drink every once in a while socially but he drinks by himself at all times of the day. ... He is always saying it's his life and for me to stay out of it.

He's already given you his answer. I don't think there's anything you can do beyond giving him what he's asked for.

You've already said you don't want to be with him and he's already said he doesn't want you to be in his life. What's the dilemma?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 08:23 am
Hey Mame

If you want to get a flavor of an online AA meeting, check this thread out.

Friends of Bill Wilson Thread

It's connected to the page I hopped in, and as you can see, I was fairly impaled on a pike for expressing any kind of differing opinion. If you jump around to various pages, I think you'll see what I saw…a never ending litany of platitudes.

Actually, and I think I expressed it in that thread, I have no problem with AA in itself. I think it can be enormously helpful for someone who is newly sober and needs the support of the group. Also, I personally have no problem with God being in there, or Higher Power, or whatever other term you want to use.

In all fairness, the gooey love fest going on in some of those pages doesn't necessarily represent a lot of real life meetings. If it was, I wouldn't have hung around for as long as I did. I've met a lot of really cool people there, but I didn't become friends with them because they were in AA, I became friends with them because we clicked.

It's when you're told that you must remain in this perpetual state of, for lack of a better word, Childhood, meaning dependence on AA, or you're going to go out and drink, that I part ways.

You know, eventually, if you have a brain in your head, you'll realize your in the following scenario….

What's going on in your life at that time might be that you're choosing between 2 jobs, one that requires moving, but more money, one that involves doing work your familiar with, and a dozen other considerations like benefits, effect on family, attitude, environment, etc. And because this is an issue, you mention it at a meeting.

The guy next to you says his problem is that he lost his bicycle lock, and was afraid to park his bike outside the grocery store.

You're BOTH told, with the same amount of emotion, to Let Go and Let God, or One Step at a Time, which might be nice for the guy who's been around for a month and finds his bike lock under the couch…but is really condescending to someone trying to figure out what to do with their stock options…..uh…..thanks.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:09 am
Well, having read some of that thread, it sounds like it's a good option for people who are at the point where help is welcome, at least initially. People reaching out to help others, etc. But as with all organizations, it's only as good as the people in it, so if one "sect" is power-mongering or controlling or bullying or whatever, that one will now be tainted. Let's face it, people screw everything up. That might have been more true in the group you associated with more than some others.

I understand your questioning, Chai, but for others, that idea is repugnant or scary. Perhaps they're still too shaky in their belief in themselves. They could be afraid of losing that fellowship. They might be afraid of spiralling back down into the alcoholism if they become the least bit independent. And really, does it matter to anyone what others do with their lives? Many other organized groups are just as cult-ish.

Your opinions in that Friends of Bill W thread have merit, but it was probably not the best place to voice them. It was a Friends Of thread, after all, and nobody was looking for a discussion/debate. I can see why they felt attacked; you don't hold back. I'd say next time, just pick your battleground a bit better.

That thread was an education for me in more ways than one.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:10 am
Stuh: A few things trouble me about your reply to this young lady. Correcting her grammar, spelling or choice of words is harsh and not helpful. This is person with personal problems...but nowhere did she ask for help with her English composition.

What is your personal experience with AA? You seem to be an expert on AA, but why does it seem there's an axe you grind for them?

I see them neutrally. People make their own choice to go there to get help, so they're not forced to go. As the saying goes, "You pays your money, you takes your chances."

Also, cults aren't always a bad thing. Sometimes joining a group is great for a limited time for people with real immediate problems such as alcoholics who really want help. All religions are cults, though many problems result on reliance on religion to do the critical thinking a person needs. Some cults are destructive and can destroy an individuals will to think for themselves and be self-reliant. You can't throw all cults away as though they don't have a limited effectiveness for a short term basis. Generalities don't help here.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:45 am
Mame wrote:
Well, having read some of that thread, it sounds like it's a good option for people who are at the point where help is welcome, at least initially. People reaching out to help others, etc. But as with all organizations, it's only as good as the people in it, so if one "sect" is power-mongering or controlling or bullying or whatever, that one will now be tainted. Let's face it, people screw everything up. That might have been more true in the group you associated with more than some others.

I understand your questioning, Chai, but for others, that idea is repugnant or scary. Perhaps they're still too shaky in their belief in themselves. They could be afraid of losing that fellowship. They might be afraid of spiralling back down into the alcoholism if they become the least bit independent. And really, does it matter to anyone what others do with their lives? Many other organized groups are just as cult-ish.

Your opinions in that Friends of Bill W thread have merit, but it was probably not the best place to voice them. It was a Friends Of thread, after all, and nobody was looking for a discussion/debate. I can see why they felt attacked; you don't hold back. I'd say next time, just pick your battleground a bit better.

That thread was an education for me in more ways than one.

oh, let me explain something...saying you are a "friend of bill wilson" does not necessarily mean you are some well versed person in the history, methods of AA.

AA is full of slogans and catch phrases.

Saying one is "A friend of Bill Wilson's" simply means they go to AA meetings.

For instance, 2 people could be complete stangers, and might be talking between themselves, or with a whole group of people. One person might say something that makes the other think he/she is an alcoholic. That person might say to the other "Do you know Bill Wilson" or "Do you know Bill W." or "Are you a friend of Bills" etc. Supposedly, no one else in the group of people have no idea who Bill Wilson is, so the other person is free to say "Yes, I am"

I always found this silly, because long long before drinking ever became a problem for me, or before I ever even drank at all, I knew who this person Bill Wilson was. Ergo, I found it kinda embarrassing, especially if a person didn't want anyone else to know about that part of their life.

I wasn't questioning in that thread, I was stating my opinion. And yes, I'd state the same thing again because I know that there are others who have thoughts similar to mine, but don't normally mention them because it's just not worth it. It's similar to disagreeing with a fundementalist, or any other cult. You're not going to get anywhere. My hope was to let someone else who might have been reading it that they're not alone, and it's ok to disagree.

I really do appreciate you bringing this up Mame, because this is something, if you want education, I can give you a birds eye view of. For instance, yes, there's AA meetings, and everyone is supposed to address only things that involves their alcoholism, but, you can make anything in your life about your alcoholism, you know what I mean?

Also, there's the part I mentioned about making friends, people you can rely on, and them on you. Life isn't all about this one hour you sit in a room. It comes to a point where you and friends you made there go out to movies and dinner and whatever, and don't talk anything about either how your life was while you were drinking, or how AA is effecting your life today. It someone did, it would be like someone in the group talking about nothing but Jesus while the rest of you wanted to discuss the Super Bowl.

People early on, and I mean in the first year, or maybe the first 5 years, there's no set time limit, might feel shaky, and scared....but there does come a time for most people that you know someone's saying..."If you don't come here, you going to get drunk" is just a bunch of hogwash.

Unfortunately, the people who say that can always point to someone and say "that guy didn't drink for 20 years, stopped coming to meetings...after 1 year, 15 years, whatever, they started drinking again" Unfortunately, they can't point to the other person who stopped going to meetings and lived a happy life and never drank again, because their not there.

Another thing, my fingers keep wanting to pause when I type the word "meeting". To someone with no experience with AA, this might sound like some official, getting things done, talking about issues, organized event.

Sometimes, it's a 74 year old woman who can share she planted daisies yesterday and didn't drink, then a 45 year old guy bemoaning the fact his 6 marriage is breaking up, and a third who by God just wants to declare how grateful he is today. Oh....and usually some other guy with no wife or girlfriend, who can be found at the meeting hall at any hour of the day or night, you can tell you one exactly what page of the Big Book any passage appears.

Honestly, I'm not bitter, I'm just one know to cry "The emperors naked"

I could honestly write here that I don't think I'd be alive today if I hadn't fallen into going to AA at a certain time in my life, because I was a mess, and needed that regime. However, it doesn't hold any kind of sacred status for me.

Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all...It just sort of doesn't live up to the expectations of the official idea of a meeting.
0 Replies