How do you love someone?

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 04:17 pm
Here 'tis:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/fashion/29condo.html

It's not forced, at all -- if you want to stay up in your room you can. But it offers opportunities to just naturally get to know people that are difficult in the city. (I liked this line:

Quote:
"We're extremely social creatures, and I think people in New York really suffer from an inability to really interact with people," said Susan Meiklejohn, an associate professor of urban planning at Hunter College. "And that's what these developers are realizing."

This is not because New Yorkers are cold, Dr. Meiklejohn said, but because the city is so dense that people avoid one another to establish buffer zones. "What level of friendliness can you possibly sustain each day if you have to say hello to everybody you meet on 34th Street?" she said.

Bolded the line I was talking about, kept the rest for context.

Definitely thought of you when I was reading it.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 04:38 pm
I've felt like that sometimes, too, Kicky. For what it's worth.

Seems like I am constantly fighting the on-again-off-again cycles of wanting to be close to people, and wanting to just be left to my own devices (no matter how unsatisfying they may get).

Need eventually pulls me back to people. I need them, and yes, some people do need me. I'm starting to be ok with that. It's something of a struggle all the time, and the closer I get , though.

Before my present guy, it would have made me cringe and no-way-in-hell could I have admitted and let someone simply help fill a need of mine without guilt or shame about it.
As though it were wrong to need someone other than oneself.
But, I'm starting to find some real peace in it. Letting myself be cared for, I mean, and realizing "hey, I don't have to become some blathing idiot or lose my self sufficiency to do this".

I guess I don't know the answer to your question! I just know that for me, a part of it is letting others care for me without feeling bad about it all the time. If that makes sense.
And having others who need and want what I have to offer let me in too.

This could be happening for you right now even, while you're thinking of other things.
Here's hoping you feel it, that nice feeling deep inside, soon. We all like that mushy feeling sometimes.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 04:47 pm
Hey, Soz, thanks for finding that. That was an interesting article, actually. I'm in no position to buy into one of those places at the current time, unfortunately, but reading that article reminded me of the apartments in Orlando. A lot of them have the gym, the pool, the sauna, the rec room...my buddy lived in a place that even had racketball courts. Ah, the good old days.

Thanks, Flushd. I like what you said and it makes a lot of sense.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 04:56 pm
When I'm down, I throw in Audioslave and listen to the inspirational words of Chris Cornell:

"to be yourself is all that you can do
to be yourself is all that you can do
to be yourself is all that you can do
to be yourself is all that you can doooooo"

Jackass.

Not you, Chris Cornell.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 06:31 pm
Kicky,

The whole country is going through a bit of what you are feeling due to all the intense, constant media bombardment of the Virginia Tech killings. We're all going through a post-tramatic stress experience just as we all did after 911.

Go hook up with your "comfort" people and animals. Connect with the loving, caring friends and turn off the computers and television sets for awhile.

I did that for myself this week and it helped me to snap right out of the funk I was developing when avoiding the News of VT didn't work.

Find a friendly dog, a snuggly cat and some people to share some great big bear hugs with. You can all work some magic on each other while playing fetch and hugging each other between tosses.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 07:36 pm
kickycan wrote:
Happy? Hmmmm...I would say that I'm unsatisfied with certain aspects of it, but no, I wouldn't go so far as to say I am unhappy with it. But I'd like to change certain things.

Like for instance, I don't know how to get close with people anymore (or maybe I just don't want to for some unknown reason), and that means I'm alone a lot. I'd like to change that. I think.

Why not start small? Join a book club where people meet once a month
or every other week, where you discuss books. You get to know people
but it's not an "in you face" meeting and not that often either. For starters
probably good.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 08:03 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Happy? Hmmmm...I would say that I'm unsatisfied with certain aspects of it, but no, I wouldn't go so far as to say I am unhappy with it. But I'd like to change certain things.

Like for instance, I don't know how to get close with people anymore (or maybe I just don't want to for some unknown reason), and that means I'm alone a lot. I'd like to change that. I think.

probably good.

That is something I have considered myself but then I realized there wasn't going to be anyone in my generation there
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 08:14 pm
stuh505 wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
kickycan wrote:

probably good.

That is something I have considered myself but then I realized there wasn't going to be anyone in my generation there

That might be a problem if you're looking for romance as an added bonus, but otherwise why would a generation gap be any more of a problem there than hanging out here?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 08:19 pm
Stuh, don't dodge older people. They might have daughters your age, or know someone who is your age. One of my friends volunteered as an usher at a theater playhouse where all other ushers were twice her age, but they
all had so much fun together, they started going out once a month to dinner. One of the older female ushers introduced my friend to a guy she thought would have a lot in common with my friend. Well, they did, and they hit it off - they've been married for 15 years now.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 08:26 pm
Hi Kicky !!!!

I see you're down, huh?

Here... I'll leave you a kiss on this thread just so that you feel better already!

Um beijo! Smile Smile
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 01:03 pm
Aw, superjuly! I'm cured with just one kiss!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 02:53 pm
Just for you Kicky...

Quote:
When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving much advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a gentle and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares. --Henri Nouwen

http://butrfly.net/bighug.gif
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 03:19 pm
Kicky,

Have you read Dante's The Divine Comedy?
I think you might like it... Give it a shot!
It might suck some of your romantic italian out of you.
Beijos! Smile
0 Replies