Gallstones

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 07:15 am
Anyone have experience with gallstones?

Reason I am asking is because this is the second time in the past month that I have had a sudden onset of pain in my abdomen. As you can well imagine, it seriously concerns me. But the baby moves as normal and nothing seems wrong in that regard...just a stabbing,burning,aching pain across my chest (under my breasts), down the right side and on and under my belly button. It's tender. The pain comes and goes in severity. Last night I was just sitting there when suddenly I was like OH MY GOD and practically doubled over. It was on and off like that for a few hours, lessened when I went to bed but is back again full force this morning, after eating a bagel and cream cheese.

Last time, I had this, I saw my ob thinking it was something to do with the pregnancy. He felt where my appendix is and that isn't where the pain is...it's more inward rather than on my side. The pain also radiates to my back on the right side. The doc said it was a pulled muscle/ligament due to my growing belly. I had to get a maternity support belt and have been wearing it for the last 2-3 weeks. At first, when I got it, it took a few days for the pain to completely go away.

Now, I feel sick to my stomach after eating (new symptom).

I am not constipated. It's not gas (that would be down the left side, not the right). It's not heartburn, this is different (I am all to familiar with heartburn, acid reflux).

I did some searching around and found that many people with gallstones have the same symptoms as I do. And being pregnant can put you at greater risk for gallstones.

Is anyone familiar with gallstones? I hate self diagnosis but I also hate going to the doctor and having to go through 55 different rounds of tests before hitting on the one thing I thought might be the problem in the first place. I like to suggest things so that doc can either say "no way" or "it's possible". Doctors aren't perfect ya know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,544 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 07:23 am
The red line is the trail of the pain...the red dots are the tender points.

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/khuren/guts.jpg[/IMG]

(I'm so high tech, giving you a little picture and all) :wink: Cool
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 07:24 am
It sounds serious enough to ask the doctor again. It sounds like you've done enough reading on it to bring it up as a possibility to the doctor.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 07:26 am
Normally it wouldn't be such a huge deal, but being pregnant makes me paranoid. I don't want to be sick and not get treatment. If I weren't pregnant, I'd probably go a longer time without saying something, thinking it was indigestion or gas or just "stomach trouble".

But I don't want to affect my baby in any way.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 07:28 am
I totally understand. I also understand about doctors not being perfect and the need to go in well-informed. I definitely think you should email that image to your doctor. :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 07:29 am
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/print/ency/article/000273.htm

Quote:
Now, I feel sick to my stomach after eating (new symptom).

I sure do have experience, be it second hand. My husband had his gall bladder removed about a month ago. It had gotten so bad, that he had lost about 25 pounds. Every time that he ate, the food felt like it was just "stuck" at the top of his abdomen.

The first idiot GI doc told him that it wasn't the gall bladder, although he saw stones. The second said that it was. he sent him to a surgeon, who told my husband that his gall bladder looked like an ear of corn, with the stones sticking out all over the place.

At first we thought that he might have multiple GI problems, but after a month post op, his digestion is settling down back to normal.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:16 am
Ok, so I am doing a test this morning.

If it is in fact, gallstones, eating these greasy, fatty donuts should make me sick, right?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:23 am
Ok, within minutes of eating my greasy, fried donut, I am feeling a bit icky in the portion of my abdomen right below the breasts...moving into my stomach...moving...feeling kind of ugh...burp. That felt better...we shall see if this feeling moves down the right side.

Or if I am just feeling ick because I ate 2 greasy, fried donuts.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:34 am
Bella Dea wrote:
The red line is the trail of the pain...the red dots are the tender points.

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/khuren/guts.jpg[/IMG]

(I'm so high tech, giving you a little picture and all) :wink: Cool

Don't try to treat youself. Please see a physician as soon as possible. Find out if it's heart burn or the start of heart trouble/disease.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:37 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Ok, so I am doing a test this morning.

Please consult an MD.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:39 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I totally understand. I also understand about doctors not being perfect and the need to go in well-informed. I definitely think you should email that image to your doctor. :wink:

Send an e-mail with this diagram? That could make a good Doc go very sour!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:54 am
Bella, having a gallstone attack is the worst pain that I ever experienced, and that includes labor pains. My niece had the same thing that you are experiencing when she was pregnant. Everything turned out all right for her. Fortunately, I was able to have a laparoscopy and I was up and around in no time.

Let us know what the doc says. No wonder you have been feeling like crap, honey.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 07:56 am
A lousy gall bladder and greasy foods don't mix. Try and stay away from fatty foods, until you have your situation under control.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:02 am
I ignored my gallstones in 2005 and it literally damn near killed me. Take care of it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:16 am
It's not heartburn. Definitely. I know what heartburn is and this ain't it.

It's not indigestion. Or gas.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:16 am
Stop performing tests on yourself. Go to an MD.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:20 am
My mom said that my grandma had/has gallstones and that they were the worse pain in her life...but someone else I know also had gallbladder problems and it was bad but not the worst pain in her life.

My husband seems to think I am overreacting and am just having normal aches and pains but I don't think so.

As for my donut test...what harm could come of it? I feel like crap again today and....what? I don't have a fever so there isn't an infection anywhere. And if this comes back or gets worse, I am going to the doc. I just hate going when there isn't anything really wrong. I can't afford to take work off again.

I do have to say that I have a really yucky feeling in my gut again. It's not pain but it's a funny weird feeling.

Question for those who had gallbladder issues.....

Did you get a tingly/numb feeling where your gallbladder is located? I just realized that before this pain started, I would periodically feel a tingly/numb feeling for a brief time right about where my gallbladder is. I thought it was the baby sticking a foot/hand up there but now I wonder....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 08:22 am
bullshit on the no fever no infection... I didn't have a fever when I was admitted to the hospital and slid into a coma... it took 8 days of intravenous antibiotics to get my body un infected enough to open up.... quit screwing around....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Oh and were you really burpy? Not like indigestion burpy where you get relief from burping...just more burpy than usual?
0 Replies

sozobe

How far along are you, again?
0 Replies