FIRST A2K STRAW POLL White House 2008

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:06 am
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You are 100% wrong. The 'we' you discuss was an amalgam of people from many, many different cultures. There was no one group who 'built' this nation.

The strength of America has always been in our open nature, not in closing off and denying. I too believe that we need closed borders, but that has nothing to do with people speaking whatever language they like to speak.

Cycloptichorn

Wrong AGAIN.

This nation was built by people who came here TO BE AN AMERICAN. They WANTED to blend into our culture and speak out language.

Except for MY forefathers (who had their land taken from them), every single one of your ancestors came from somewhere else to BE AN AMERICAN.

Many, and ALL the illegals, are coming here to be in America. There is a big difference (which apparently you can not grasp).
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:15 am
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c1/Chinatown2.jpg
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 11:55 am
old europe wrote:
woiyo wrote:
This nation was built by people who came here TO BE AN AMERICAN. They WANTED to blend into our culture and speak out language.

Really? But what about, let's say, the Amish? Did they want to be Americans? Did they want to blend into the culture? Did they want to speak English? And today, would you say they are less American than you are, woiyo? What about the Italians? Many American cities which have a distinctly Italian quarter. Did the Italians really want to be Americans? Did they want to blend into the culture, and want to speak English? Or what about the famous Chinatown parts of so many cities. You see nothing but Chinese street signs, shop signs... even the subway signs are Chinese. Would you say these people wanted to be Americans, blend into the culture and speak English? If your answer would be no, would you say that they are less American than you are?

You argument is idiotic. Even the SIGN on the picture you posted say it IN ENGLISH!!!

These neighborhoods you describe and even the Reservation my Mother lived , places where immigrants could feel comfortable since the neighbors shared a common experience and came here to blend into the American Culture. Yet, all business transactions are conducted in ENGLISH, children go to PUBLIC SCHOOLS and want to "be like everyone else".

"DIVERSITY" has killed the European culture and it is beginning to happen in AMERICA nad we need to stop it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 12:02 pm
Quite right except for the idiotic part. It isn't necessarily idiotic but may just be misinformed to confuse ethnicity with multiculturalism.

As I posted some time back in the immigration thread:
Quote:
We're not talking about the "Chinatowns" and "Little Italy's" et al that crop up in the cities. There are a lot of towns throughout the midwest and elsewhere made up of descendants of immigrants primarily of one place or another whether they are Irish or Swedes or Germans or Chechs. Kansas alone has dozens of little communities like this. Most have annual old country festivals and they are great fun. Every one of these little communities is as American as any American place can be however. It is natural that people of shared experience and language congregate together during the assimilation process. And this does result in neighborhoods or little towns with strong ethnic flavors. It in no way diminishes them as Americans.
http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2557384#2557384
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 01:15 pm
woiyo, well said! OE should speak to the people in France, or even the UK, and see what they think of multiculturalism. He may not get out alive.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 01:23 pm
woiyo wrote:
Even the SIGN on the picture you posted say it IN ENGLISH!!!

The sign?

There were some in English, some in Cantonese, some in Vietnamese, some in a language/languages I can't decipher.

Quote:
"DIVERSITY" has killed the European culture
- what one European culture would that be?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 02:39 pm
Advocate wrote:
Bernie, I love that line about Jesus. May I have it?

Our government publishing in other languages is often self-serving. For instance, the IRS publishes a number of documents in Spanish, which urge the readers to file returns, and instructs them on how to do this. The IRS feels it is important to get, and keep, these people in the system.

On another matter, I thought for a while that the Republicans had, for perhaps the first time, a moronless field of candidates. After listening to McCain's statements while in Iraq, I changed my mind.

Take it away and give it a good home. It is one of my very favorite quotes of all time (Ma Fergusson, just google it in).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:36 pm
fishin wrote:
blatham wrote:
Canada, as you may know, is bilingual as a matter of law. I have not met a European who does not speak at least three languages fluently. Vancouver now is close to 50% of Asian descent and all the ATM machines, for example, have Mandarin as well as English while the can of peas you buy is french on one side and english on the other.

It is interesting that you mention Vancouver and it's Asian population in your screed againt Gingrich. Vancouver's own Electoral Reform Commission determined that ballots must be printed using western characters.

"It is not certain whether multilingual ballots are permissible under the Charter. It is at least arguable that the Charter's requirement that names be listed alphabetically suggests that names on ballots must employ the Western alphabet. Several speakers at our public meetings
have suggested that multilingual ballots would increase participation of minority groups in political life.

I think, however, the advantages of multilingual ballots are outweighed by the problems that might be associated with them.

Given that only citizens of Canada have a right to vote, it can be expected that the overwhelming majority of voters, immigrants and otherwise, will have acquired facility with the English language."

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/erc/pdf/verc_report.pdf (page 122)

So yes, they can be multilingual - as long as that other language uses the western character set. I wonder how much that helps that Asian polulation in Vancouver?

It is also interesting to note that in a footnote on the bottom of that same page they mention "Section 5(1)(d) of the federal Citizenship Act requires that the citizenship applicant possess an adequate knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada. The associated Regulations say that the applicant should be able to comprehend basic spoken statements and questions in past, present and future tenses."

How dare Gingrich suggest that the U.S. have a similar requirement! And shame on those Canadians for being so racist and xenophobic!

My god! What must you have gone through to dig that up? A long time ago, I did some work for Berger's mother. Never met him but he's been a dedicated and civic-minded fellow. He's submitted proposals here on a range of electoral matters and referring to the Charter, finds that the Western alphabet seems mandated on the basis that names are to be listed alphabetically. He doesn't state here what 'problems' he finds attending multilingual ballots (there may be further on this in the submitted document but I'd just as soon chew on some lead paint than read it for no monetary recompense). But they would have to be, for me, apparent and very significant to counter-balance the gains arising from making new citizens' introduction to voting as easy as possible.

I don't have a problem with permanent citizenship status hinging on an "adequate knowledge" of a nation's official language (or languages, plural, as in canada). That will surely work to the benefit of those entering a country and promote general efficiencies all around. In a similar vein, mandating a single language for air traffic communications looks pretty sane.

But that is not what Gingrich is up to and it isn't what many others are up to in this 'debate'. Eg, see woiyo's post above yours. That is xenophobia and is repugnant for that (not to mention deeply ahistorical). In 1800, there were more Italians in New York city than in Milan, more Irish here than in Dublin, etc...and very arguably, no city has been so influential in establishing America's identity than New York.

America isn't unique in this regard. When canadian PM Trudeau introduced legislation to mandate teaching of French in english schools and teaching of english in french schools (and multi-lingualism in government operations) there were a lot of Canadians who were pissed, for cultural hegemonistic and xenophobic reasons. Tough luck. Most are dead now and the country is better for that legislation. Or one can point to the beginnings of Canadian anti-drug laws/hysteria near the beginning of the 20th century with the large influx of yellow-menace folks.

But universality provides no moral exemption for xenophobia. Rape is evident in all cultures too.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:41 pm
JPB wrote:
I'm going with Rudy for now. If he ends up running against Obama in the general election, then I'll vote for Obama. I can't see voting in the Democratic primary in IL. Obama will take it in a landslide. I'd rather make a difference on the Republican side.

I'll vote for Mitt for now. When it comes to the General Election, I'll vote for either John Edwards Very Happy or Ms. Clinton .

It's too bad, Ms. Clinton didn't run for Senator in Illinois. :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:45 pm
If Gingrich gets in I doubt I'll vote for him, but I do think he deserves honest representation here. Amidst the inflammatory headlines and characterizations ranging between "Gingrich says English is the language of prosperity" vs "Gingrich calls anything but English the language of the ghetto", here in his own words is his official position on this:

Official English Is Not "English Only"
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:52 pm
woiyo wrote:
You argument is idiotic. Even the SIGN on the picture you posted say it IN ENGLISH!!!

You're wrong. Look again.

woiyo wrote:
These neighborhoods you describe and even the Reservation my Mother lived , places where immigrants could feel comfortable since the neighbors shared a common experience

Certainly.

woiyo wrote:
and came here to blend into the American Culture.

I don't think so. But maybe I misinterpret what you're saying. Maybe you could tell me how I, if I was to emigrate to the United States, would do the blending into the American Culture thing...

woiyo wrote:
Yet, all business transactions are conducted in ENGLISH,

I doubt that very much. I fact, I know that that's not the case. I've been to that place that you can see in that picture above (San Francisco Chinatown). Business transactions were conducted in Cantonese. No, wait, in CANTONESE.

woiyo wrote:
children go to PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Certainly.

woiyo wrote:
and want to "be like everyone else".

How do you know that? What is "like everyone else"? If everyone else is Asian and speaking Cantonese, does that count, too?

woiyo wrote:
"DIVERSITY" has killed the European culture and it is beginning to happen in AMERICA nad we need to stop it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That was awesome! The European Union has 27 member countries, and more than 30 languages are being actively spoken here! European culture is diversity! That the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen!

May I steal it for my sig line?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:56 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
We're not talking about the "Chinatowns" and "Little Italy's" et al that crop up in the cities. There are a lot of towns throughout the midwest and elsewhere made up of descendants of immigrants primarily of one place or another whether they are Irish or Swedes or Germans or Chechs. Kansas alone has dozens of little communities like this. Most have annual old country festivals and they are great fun. Every one of these little communities is as American as any American place can be however. It is natural that people of shared experience and language congregate together during the assimilation process. And this does result in neighborhoods or little towns with strong ethnic flavors. It in no way diminishes them as Americans.

Great. Then there would be nothing wrong with "Little Mexico's" either, right? Can we all accept that?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 03:58 pm
Wonderful, we need to stress diversity so we can have all those charming Chinese and other ghettoes. They are so much fun.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:04 pm
ps on gingrich...
Quote:
In 1995, for example, he said bilingualism poses ''long-term dangers to the fabric of our nation'' and that ''allowing bilingualism to continue to grow is very dangerous.''
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Gingrich-2008.html
And those dangers would be what, exactly? Surely a coarsening and a decline. Those other cultures are inferior, clearly.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:05 pm
Advocate wrote:
Wonderful, we need to stress diversity so we can have all those charming Chinese and other ghettoes. They are so much fun.

No. We don't need to stress diversity. It simply happens.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:15 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:

Great. Then there would be nothing wrong with "Little Mexico's" either, right? Can we all accept that?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 04:23 pm
woiyo wrote:
old europe wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Really? But what about, let's say, the Amish? Did they want to be Americans? Did they want to blend into the culture? Did they want to speak English? And today, would you say they are less American than you are, woiyo? What about the Italians? Many American cities which have a distinctly Italian quarter. Did the Italians really want to be Americans? Did they want to blend into the culture, and want to speak English? Or what about the famous Chinatown parts of so many cities. You see nothing but Chinese street signs, shop signs... even the subway signs are Chinese. Would you say these people wanted to be Americans, blend into the culture and speak English? If your answer would be no, would you say that they are less American than you are?

These neighborhoods you describe and even the Reservation my Mother lived , places where immigrants could feel comfortable since the neighbors shared a common experience and came here to blend into the American Culture. Yet, all business transactions are conducted in ENGLISH, children go to PUBLIC SCHOOLS and want to "be like everyone else".
Laughing Laughing Laughing
On what planet is this America found? (All business is conducted in English, what a hoot.) Laughing Must be the same planet as this Europe... (which sure as hell isn't this one)

woiyo wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Remember the good ole days... before Europe became culturally diverse? Laughing (Note to the terminally obtuse: NO, you don't).
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 05:08 pm
One more time because it is worth saying again, and this could in fact be one of those deal breakers for me when it comes time to vote for President:
Quote:
So why do opponents of official English continue to use "English-only"? Because it is a loaded term that conveys exclusivity and an implied feeling of linguistic superiority. For that reason it is divisive and can be upsetting to people whose native language is not English. Its misuse is intended to provoke an emotional reaction and subtly demonize anyone who favors making English our official language, as well as those who simply want to protect its role as the common language of the United States.

So, if all this is true what does the term "official English" mean? It means that a government has decided that in order for its actions, laws, and business to be considered authoritative, they must be communicated in the English language. It means that there can be no disagreement about which language is the controlling one for discerning the meaning that government intends. And it means that absent a broad, public interest reason for using another language, the default language of government operations is English.

Official English also has a symbolic meaning, which is very important. It sends a message to all those who want to participate as citizens in this great nation, that there are responsibilities as well as benefits for being here. And one of those responsibilities is learning to speak the language of our country--English. There is no reason why our expectations for non-English speaking immigrants today should be less than our expectations for the generations of immigrants that preceded them.
http://www.proenglish.org/notenglishonly.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 05:16 pm
I know this has gone in another direction, but thought this might be the best place for the info that Dem candidates have out-fund-raised Republican candidates $78 million to $51 Million. Wow!

Early '08 Fundraising Has a Clear Blue Tint
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 05:42 pm
And I skim, often if not always agreeing with old europe, not time to slurp back and see with what rigor.

Back manana to tune in...
0 Replies