The Witch Hunt Against Gun Owners

cjhsa

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:20 am
Let's just say it's something I learned in Boy Scouts.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 08:45 am
parados wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Did you read my post? Do you know what CCW stands for? Are you a complete idiot, and not just an idiot?

I read your post. Are you too ashamed to answer my questions?

I think the point he is trying to make is this. It is called a Carry CONCEALED Weapons permit. It has nothing to do with being ashamed with having one. It is concealed for a reason because you don't want people to know you are carrying. I think most states including the one I live in have an open carry law. Any one can carry in the open but almost no one does. Concealed is to prevent people from knowing you have a piece on you and gives you the ability to do so legally.

I am going for my CCW and I don't think it is anyone's business that I carry. If I wanted them to know I would tell them. To publish my name and information in the paper is a violation of my privacy.
0 Replies

parados

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 10:54 am
That is why am I asking. Does the journalist follow this person around pointing at them and yelling, "He's got a gun."?

How exactly do you "out" someone that has a CCW permit? It's not like it is a secret, is it? Afterall, the person had to apply for a license and fill out paperwork. Can you "out" someone that gets a fishing license?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 10:58 am
Why not post a list of all the gun owners in the paper while you're at it. And when and not they are likely to be home? How about all the pain patients with prescriptions for Oxycontin? I mean, they must be on a list somewhere...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:04 am
Maybe the journalist could list who has AIDS, who has been divorced, who is a member of the ACLU and who voted for Kerry?
0 Replies

parados

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:32 am
So, you are telling me that CCW permit holders are ashamed then and don't want anyone to know. Thanks.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:33 am
cjhsa wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
George wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Sure, but what if you are in the garage when it happens?

What in the hell are you talking about?
Laughing We don't all pack heat to go into the garage or cringe at the sight of a bum. You're talking like you're dangerously delusional.

So everyone with a CCW is dangerously delusional? Some of those folks won't take a shower without packing heat - and for good reason. In some parts of the country retarded "journalists" have taken it upon themselves to out CCW holders. Many of these people are in fear for their lives from abusive exes, drug dealers they put in prison who now walk the streets... you never know who has your number.

Obviously those are just a couple examples. There's lots more. And a lot more people carrying than you think. Oh wait, are you in Wisconsin? I'm so sorry.
Actually, I'm in Florida. Didn't you notice the "location" change? :wink: I didn't say anything about CCW holders being delusional. I suggested you sound like you are if the idea of being in a garage without packing heat, or the sight of a bum scares you. Your response was that of a nut, because your average gun owner wouldn't arm himself for the daunting trip to his own garage, anyway.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:39 am
But you would deny a person the right to do so if they wanted to? Is that what you are saying?

Unreal.

Parados - you should be embarassed to have fingers and type that crap.
0 Replies

boomerang

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:41 am
Well there might be some durn sneaky liberal out there armed with something dangerous -- like a book or an education.
0 Replies

nimh

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 11:54 am
cjhsa wrote:
Fine, I will spell it out for you if I must. The police aren't interested in protecting you. To them, everyone is guilty. This is an unfortunate side effect of liability law. [..] you are already a criminal in the eyes of those who are tasked to uphold the law by simply stepping outside of your door in the morning [..]

Wow, that must be the most off the wall comment Ive read here in weeks. You sound like some militant black rapper. Or an anarchist. Or, just some extremist nutcase. Welcome to Gungaland.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 12:14 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Maybe the journalist could list who has AIDS, who has been divorced, who is a member of the ACLU and who voted for Kerry?

I like that idea. Lets publish the list of everyone who has AIDS. AIDS is a public health hazard. It only takes a cut on the finger to spread AIDS and any who would help that person has the chance of getting AIDS.

Everyone who has AIDS should be reported on a list.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 12:15 pm
Baldimo wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

I like that idea. Lets publish the list of everyone who has AIDS. AIDS is a public health hazard. It only takes a cut on the finger to spread AIDS and any who would help that person has the chance of getting AIDS.

Yeah, we should make 'em wear a big star on their shoulder for easy identification.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 12:20 pm
boomerang wrote:
Well there might be some durn sneaky liberal out there armed with something dangerous -- like a book or an education.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You mean a central nervous system? You're not calling cjhsa spineless are you?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 12:56 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Yeah, we should make 'em wear a big star on their shoulder for easy identification.

Cycloptichorn

Why not that is what was done to these gun owners. Names posted in a paper. They only do that with people who get busted for prostitution. Why did they do it for gun owners. They did nothing wrong but get a permit as a private citizen to protect themselves for various reasons.

Wouldn't you want to know if the person you were riding in a car with had AIDS or your kids going over to a friends house wouldn't you want them to be safe from getting AIDS?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 01:08 pm
Doctor-patient information is legally protected, of course.

Perhaps you should be seeking better privacy laws, rather than supporting the PATRIOT Act.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 01:18 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Doctor-patient information is legally protected, of course.

Perhaps you should be seeking better privacy laws, rather than supporting the PATRIOT Act.

I think that exactly is the point: your privacy laws are totally hollowed out by the "Patriot Act".

(Here they are starting to try doing as well, btw - thanks to our Constitutional Court, called off everytime. Until now.)

On the other hand, since US-authorities know where I've lived the last ten years, what I prefer to consume on flights, where I've flown during the last couple of years, how I pay my bills etc etc - that's only fair.
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 01:19 pm
Wow, ya'll have gotten over my head with the last 2 pages....

I would have done exactly what Baldimo did.

For the sake of those without guns, which I don't personally have a problem with, but think is foolish. I think just yelling at the "bum" would have scared him off.

However, I see no problem with letting an intruder know I have a weapon and he needs to leave immediately.

Without going back and rereading every post, here's what I see....this was not some bum going through my recycle bin, it was an intruder trying to break into your home. If it was someone at 4:30 am fooling with my soda cans, I would have done the same thing, thinking it was possible he was just casing the place, making some noise, doing something innocent like looking in my trash, to see if anyone inside the house was reacting. If I was breaking into someone home, I'd test the waters like that too. I would figure better I get caught by the homeowner messing with his trash, than being caught standing in his kitchen.

That term bum? At 4:30am more likely some tweaked out crackhead than a lovable hobo. In either case, I'd rather assume it's the crackhead when deciding what to do about my safety.

Calling the cops? Sure, I guess that would have been something Baldimo could have done. But come on, do you think the police were going to immediatly pull up when you called about a suspicious character? Unless they were, on the off chance a block away, they probably wouldn't have gotten there for 20 minutes. Even if they arrived in 5 or 10, that would have been plenty of time for the intruder to make his way to a busier street, where he would blend in.

The comment about leaving the intruder free in the neighborhood? Well, the guy probably figured Baldimo DID call the cops, so got out of the area as quick as he could. The chances of the police arriving, taking a description, and finding this guy were very dim.

When there's an intruder on your property, that's not the time to analyze what his motives are or what kind of childhood he had that turned him into the sort of fellow trying to break into your garage.

You go by your gut, which if you have any sense at all, tells you this is an unknown danger, and it is wiser to error on the side of caution than to think it's just Charlie the Hobo passing through.

Yes, strangers wandering around my recyle bin, my garage, my home at 4:30am scare me. Not scared in the meaning of going off the deep end and shooting someone, scared in a sane way in that my defenses would be on high alert.

I think you did the right thing Baldimo. Some can go on all day about what MIGHT have been happening, but you made sure Nothing happened.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 01:31 pm
Quote:
Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Roanoke.com drops list of gun owners

A list of concealed-carry permit holders was part of a newspaper editorial column.

Laurence Hammack

One day after igniting a firestorm of criticism, The Roanoke Times decided Monday to remove from its Web site a list of Virginians licensed to carry concealed weapons.

The list, published as part of an opinion column about open records that ran Sunday in the newspaper's New River Valley Current section, was taken down Monday afternoon out of concern that it might include names that should not have been made public, president and publisher Debbie Meade said.

Although she had received no official word from Virginia State Police, which provided the data at the paper's request, Meade said she was concerned enough about complaints from readers to act out of an abundance of caution.

"Our concern is that if the information should have been protected and it wasn't, then we don't want to run it," Meade said.

The list, which included both the names and street addresses of about 135,000 Virginians with permits to carry concealed weapons, was linked to a column by editorial writer Christian Trejbal that ran in the Current section.

Hundreds of readers complained on the newspaper's message board and to a gun-rights group that publishing the names of concealed-weapons permit holders violated the privacy of law-abiding citizens and gave potential criminals information that would help them find victims.

"By publishing that list, you've created a windfall for criminals," said Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Van Cleave and others argued that convicted felons, barred from buying guns at stores, could use the list to select homes to burglarize in their search for firepower.

Another concern was for the safety of domestic abuse victims, who might want to carry concealed weapons for their own protection but don't want an abusive former partner to know where they live. With those addresses now public, "the stalkers and the rapists and those people are more empowered," Van Cleave said.

Similar concerns were shared by the director of interactive learning for The Poynter Institute, a journalism think tank in Florida.

"You could take that information and you could do a lot with it," said Howard Finberg. "I would say it raises some serious concerns about the unintended consequences of such actions."

Critics have also questioned why Trejbal chose such a polarizing topic as guns to illustrate a column meant to discuss Sunshine Week, a national initiative to promote the importance of open government and public records.

"Could the point he wanted to make -- highlighting Sunshine Week -- been done in a different way that would not raise the potential of someone doing something with that list?" Finberg asked.

Meade said the pros and cons of running the list were discussed in advance.

The decision to publish the list was made, with Meade's knowledge, by Editorial Page Editor Dan Radmacher, who was out of the office Monday.

"I think Dan would say that we probably underestimated the kind of response that this would prompt," Meade said. In hindsight, she said, "I think we could have asked for a broader and deeper discussion."

However, Meade said heated opposition to Trejbal's column was not a factor in pulling the list.

A written statement released by the newspaper stressed that the decision to remove the list was made "out of a sense of caution and concern for the public" that was based on questions about whether some names should have been included.

The newspaper is in the process of asking state police to verify the data and clarify whether it can be made public, Meade said.

It was not clear Monday exactly what category of names should possibly not have been released.

But if a revised list is ever published, Van Cleave said his organization is already discussing ways to fight back, which could possibly include boycotting major advertisers and making public as much personal information about Trejbal and other editors as the group can find.

"If you're going to light us up like a Christmas tree and invade our privacy, then we want you to know what it's like to live in a glass house," Van Cleave said.

Trejbal, who said he has received threats from some angry readers, said he was disappointed that "so many people have missed the point about the column. It was not fundamentally about guns. It was fundamentally about open government."

While expressing sympathy for concealed-weapons permit holders who might have been put in a difficult position by publication of the list, Trejbal added that information about individual permit holders is readily available at any courthouse.

"Did we make it easier [to obtain the information]? Yes," he said. "But it's still a public record."

But Trejbal's "mean-spirited" column did more than expedite fishing expeditions, Van Cleave said.

It also unfairly compared law-abiding gun owners to sex offenders, he said, by noting that "a state that eagerly puts sex offender data online complete with an interactive map could easily do the same with gun permits, but it does not."

As Dale Hawley wrote on the newspaper's message board, such a comment ignores the fact that people who apply to carry a concealed weapon for legitimate reasons of self-protection must undergo background checks to ensure they have no criminal record.

"That you don't understand this is, at best, terrible ignorance and at worst smacks of prejudice and yellow journalism," Hawley wrote on the online forum, which had generated more than 300 comments by midday Monday.

Another poster wrote: "I've moved twice to get away from a violent ex. Now I have to move again. I really appreciate you publishing my address. Gee, thanks."

Van Cleave said he has received more than 500 angry calls and e-mails, including two from state legislators.

Past gun-related controversies have been "like a firecracker" by comparison, he said. "This one is like a thermonuclear bomb."
Source
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 01:33 pm
Chai wrote:
Wow, ya'll have gotten over my head with the last 2 pages....

I would have done exactly what Baldimo did.

For the sake of those without guns, which I don't personally have a problem with, but think is foolish. I think just yelling at the "bum" would have scared him off.

However, I see no problem with letting an intruder know I have a weapon and he needs to leave immediately.

Without going back and rereading every post, here's what I see....this was not some bum going through my recycle bin, it was an intruder trying to break into your home. If it was someone at 4:30 am fooling with my soda cans, I would have done the same thing, thinking it was possible he was just casing the place, making some noise, doing something innocent like looking in my trash, to see if anyone inside the house was reacting. If I was breaking into someone home, I'd test the waters like that too. I would figure better I get caught by the homeowner messing with his trash, than being caught standing in his kitchen.

That term bum? At 4:30am more likely some tweaked out crackhead than a lovable hobo. In either case, I'd rather assume it's the crackhead when deciding what to do about my safety.

Calling the cops? Sure, I guess that would have been something Baldimo could have done. But come on, do you think the police were going to immediatly pull up when you called about a suspicious character? Unless they were, on the off chance a block away, they probably wouldn't have gotten there for 20 minutes. Even if they arrived in 5 or 10, that would have been plenty of time for the intruder to make his way to a busier street, where he would blend in.

The comment about leaving the intruder free in the neighborhood? Well, the guy probably figured Baldimo DID call the cops, so got out of the area as quick as he could. The chances of the police arriving, taking a description, and finding this guy were very dim.

When there's an intruder on your property, that's not the time to analyze what his motives are or what kind of childhood he had that turned him into the sort of fellow trying to break into your garage.

You go by your gut, which if you have any sense at all, tells you this is an unknown danger, and it is wiser to error on the side of caution than to think it's just Charlie the Hobo passing through.

Yes, strangers wandering around my recyle bin, my garage, my home at 4:30am scare me. Not scared in the meaning of going off the deep end and shooting someone, scared in a sane way in that my defenses would be on high alert.

I think you did the right thing Baldimo. Some can go on all day about what MIGHT have been happening, but you made sure Nothing happened.

Thanks Chai. I still think I did the right thing regardless of what others have said.

I have a feeling that if I would have called the police that the same people who said I should have called the police would have been after me for doing so. They would have claimed I was just hurting the poor fellow because I own a house and he didn't.

I look at this as the devils advocate being played on this thread by certain people who would disagree with me over the sky being blue. They would still call it purple
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 23 Mar, 2007 01:35 pm
The later developments:

Paper receives flak for list (14.03.07)

Should gun data lists be muzzled? (18.03.07)

State advisory council to examine privacy of handgun permit list (20.03.07)
0 Replies