The Witch Hunt Against Gun Owners

cjhsa

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:44 am
The Witch Hunt Against Gun Owners
By Michelle Malkin
Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"The Second Amendment," Charlton Heston used to say, "is America's first freedom." The Second secures the rest.

It's a message narcissistic journalists need to hear again. A decade ago, Heston chastised the media in a National Press Club speech for its collective ignorance, apathy and open hostility toward gun owners' rights: "Clearly, too many have used freedom of the press as a weapon not only to strangle our free speech, but to erode and ultimately destroy the right to keep and bear arms as well. In doing so you promoted your profession to that of constitutional judge and jury, more powerful even than our Supreme Court, more prejudiced than the Inquisition's tribunals. It is a frightening misuse of constitutional privilege, and I pray that you will come to your senses and see that these abuses are curbed."

Alas, Heston's prayers have yet to be answered. While courts have recently bolstered Second Amendment rights, endangering gun owners in the name of free speech continues to be the blood sport of the Fourth Estate.

Two weeks ago, the Roanoke (Va.) Times published an online database of registered concealed handgun permit holders in the paper's community under the sanctimonious guise of "Sunshine Week." The database included both the names and street addresses of some 135,000 Virginians with permits to carry concealed weapons. Columnist Christian Trejbal patted himself on the back for making it easy to snoop on the neighbors: "I can hear the shocked indignation of gun-toters already: It's nobody's business but mine if I want to pack heat. Au contraire. Because the government handles the permitting, it is everyone's business."

Trejbal denied that compiling the concealed carry permit holders list was "about being for or against guns." But he exposed his true agenda when he compared law-abiding gun owners to . . . sex offenders: "A state that eagerly puts sex offender data online complete with an interactive map could easily do the same with gun permits, but it does not."

The Roanoke Times showed reckless disregard for the safety of the license holders and reckless disregard for accuracy. In his column, Trejbal admitted that he knew some of the information he had obtained was inaccurate -- but published it anyway: "As a Sunshine Week gift, The Roanoke Times has placed the entire database, mistakes and all [emphasis added], online at www.roanoke.com/gunpermits. You can search to find out if neighbors, carpool partners, elected officials or anyone else has permission to carry a gun."

After an uproar among gun-owners, including domestic violence victims licensed to carry, the Times finally decided to yank the database. Trejbal seems not to feel much remorse: "Did we make it easier [to obtain the information]? Yes. But it's still a public record." Let's review: He published a list he knew contained inaccuracies. His paper admits the decision endangered gun owners. He compiled a convenient shopping list for criminals -- and smacked law-abiding gun owners in the face with his comparison of their choice to exercise their rights with sex offenders.

Public disclosure of concealed carry licenses varies from state to state. Eighteen states protect permit holders' privacy from public view. Virginia is one of 17 states that make licensee records public. If information is public, does it make it right for a newspaper to publish it? The media exercise discretion all the time in withholding the names of minors or rape victims. Why should the privacy of law-abiding concealed handgun permit holders be treated with any less concern?

While the Roanoake Times has retreated, the witch hunt against gun owners continues. In New York City, Mayor Michael Bloomberg launched a "sting" operation targeting gun shops in five states for allegedly selling guns illegally. Alan Gottlieb and Dave Workman of the Second Amendment Foundation report that Bloomberg sent unauthorized private investigators to conduct the operation -- without notifying the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF):

"The odor ripened when Bloomberg filed civil lawsuits against these gun shops, rather than turn over evidence to the proper authorities for criminal prosecution. Bloomberg's office refused to turn over that evidence, and instead the billionaire mayor launched a high-profile media campaign demonizing the targeted gun shop operators."

Bloomberg has, of course, earned the praise of the anti-Second Amendment media for his security-undermining stunt. The unholy alliance between Big Nanny politicians and journalists threatens us all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,205 • Replies: 108
Topic Closed
No top replies

malek

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:49 am
I'm beginning to realise that you like guns, cjhsa. :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 06:53 am
I like the 2nd amendment better.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:52 am
shiksa had done more to advocate against gun ownership than any liberal freakhead.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 07:59 am
Your gun(s), yes.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:03 am
I can officially say that I have used a hand gun in a defensive use as of this morning and I didn't report it to the police. While getting ready for work this morning it was about 430am I heard a noise coming from my back yard. I grabbed my gun because I'm the only person awake in my house and my dog was asleep under the bed. I also grabbed my flashlight and went to check the yard. There was a bum trying to break into my garage. I opened my back door and told the guy to leave or he would be shot. He left in quite the hurry and I got ready for work and left.

Was I scared? Yeah I was scared a little but it was worth making sure some bum didn't steal anything that I work hard for.

Should I have called the police? I don't think so, they have more important things to worry about.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:28 am
Meanwhile, you're at work and the bum has the run of the neighborhood....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:34 am
Probably looking for the hidden stash of drugs that he or someone else left there the night before. I saw that a LOT in California.
0 Replies

squinney

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:40 am
Bald9imo! Quick!!! Run home and check your garage!!!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:44 am
"That's some excellent work there, boys."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:48 am
Baldimo wrote:
I grabbed my gun because I'm the only person awake in my house and my dog was asleep under the bed.

I'm confused. Are you saying that, if your dog had been awake, it would have grabbed the gun instead? Or are you saying that, if your dog had been awake, you would have grabbed it instead of the gun?
0 Replies

littlek

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:49 am
Baldimo - geez, I didn't know that bums were so violent and unpredictable! Maybe I should buy a gun too! Those pesky buggers are always poking around in MY recycling, taking MY empties. How dare they!
0 Replies

squinney

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:51 am
Ferchristsake would you all be quiet!!! Your gonna scare him away before he leads us to the dope! Man, ya'll are idiots!!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:54 am
All I know is Francis.... I mean Psycho...... I mean Larry.... finally almost got to kill someone....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:56 am
joefromchicago wrote:
I'm confused. Are you saying that, if your dog had been awake, it would have grabbed the gun instead? Or are you saying that, if your dog had been awake, you would have grabbed it instead of the gun?

I'm confused too. Why were you poking around in baldimo's garbage?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 08:58 am
squinney wrote:
Ferchristsake would you all be quiet!!! Your gonna scare him away before he leads us to the dope! Man, ya'll are idiots!!

it's okay honey, I've got plenty...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:11 am
cjhsa wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

I'm confused too. Why were you poking around in baldimo's garbage?

Look everybody! Ceej tried to make a funny! Unfortunately, baldimo said that the bum was trying to break into his garage, not his garbage. Sloppy spelling errors and inattention to detail will ruin even the most cleverly constructed jokes. Better luck next time.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:18 am
Would you rather have had me shoot him or call the police. I would have thought the people across the isle would have applauded my move of not shooting and or having the guy arrested. It seems that no matter I would have received a complaint. So much for compassion.
0 Replies

George

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:21 am
Baldimo wrote:
...Should I have called the police? I don't think so, they have more important things to worry about.

I have no doubt that your motives were the best, but I think that
attempted breaking and entering is something we employ police to be
worried about.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 22 Mar, 2007 09:23 am
I think you should have just winged him....then awakened your dog... who no doubt is a trained attack killer...then eviscerated the bum and let the dog eat his insides while he was still alive.... then hung his rotting carcass outside your house as a warning to other bums in the neighborhood....

or maybe move to a better neighborhood :wink:
0 Replies