Confidence in your beliefs.

kate4christ03

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:37 pm
hmm.....hey i never claimed the bible was a science book. i just disagreed with your opinion that the bible was written by ignorant hillbillies who believed the earth was flat.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:42 pm
How about high technology in the Bible? Surely that should be OK under the guise of "figure of speech"?

19:24 Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven. Sounds like aerial weapons bombardment to me.

2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. 12 And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces. Sounds like aircraft to me.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:44 pm
nah both of those are literal....God reigned fire on sodom and gomorrah and burned them up... and he took elijah away on a chariot.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:51 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
hmm.....hey i never claimed the bible was a science book. i just disagreed with your opinion that the bible was written by ignorant hillbillies who believed the earth was flat.
Demonstrate the accuracy of the bible.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 02:53 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
nah both of those are literal....God reigned fire on sodom and gomorrah and burned them up... and he took elijah away on a chariot.
Nope it was a "figure of speech" for aerospace devices.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 03:19 pm
well in that case, i guess those guys weren't as ignorant as you ascertained. Very Happy
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 03:23 pm
That would be the word of god's figure of speech for the hillbilly's level of comprehension, unless of course you don't believe the bible is the word of god.
0 Replies

Ghost with the most

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 05:43 pm
I love the way, you lot are using this thread to battle it out, and ignoring the whole point. if you are not gonna ansewer my question, then (dont want to get all bitchy) do it somewhere else, or forget it
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 05:48 pm
neologist wrote:
Coolwhip wrote:
neologist wrote:
Perhaps an adjective is required to describe my faith. Nevertheless, I continue testing.

That's why I participate in this board.
'

Anyone who are more faithful than ever after a serious religious debate is in my mind more stubborn than enlightened.
Stunning example of rhetorical genius.

You seem to be more interested in shape that content.
0 Replies

stlstrike3

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:13 pm
Re: Confidence in your beliefs.
Ghost with the most wrote:
I do not belive in god in any religous way, however i do belive that there is, for a lack of a better phrase, "afterlife". I obviously have no evidence to back up my statement.

Then what gives you faith (which is what a belief without evidence is) that there is an afterlife? Where does that come from?

But if science is right then the whole universe and everything in it is a fluke, a massive coincidence.

This sounds like you're confusing the issue of the origin of the universe, and the origin of life on earth. I don't think most evolutionary biologists would use the words "fluke" or "coincidence" to describe the origin of life on earth, although maybe some would... we just happen to be in a place in the universe that is uncommon... supporting carbon-based life on a timescale that permitted randomly occurring mutations to select themselves out into a rich diversity of complex species.

Also i am not a hundred percent but i am pretty sure they can jump start a heart, how come they cant give a dying brain a reboost? is it because they cant simulate the energy that controls it? i heard somewhere that it might be kinetic energy, if this is true then it has to go somewhere right?

You can't "reboost" a dying brain because brain cells start to break down after a few minutes... you have considerably more time for the heart, but cells still die. But the brain, in order to function as it did prior to an insult, cannot withstand the knocking out of a few hundred neurons nearly as well as the heart can by knocking out a few hundred cardiac muscle cells.

At the same time i cant belive that there is a all seeing all powerful entity that gorverns over us,

Neither can I. Smile

running the risk of insulting some people, i think religion is just a tool to try and govern over the population.

that's not it's only purpose... some have and continue to use it as such... but that's not its primary purpose nor the reason it rose to such widespread acceptance.

I mean in the bible,in the second part it says to love your neighbor and care for others, when the first part is incest and murder, plauges and floods. Im sorry but this is coming from a god who said something along the lines of "Because you ate the apple im going to give you and all your daughters and their daughters (and so on) pains in their belly once a month for a week. (That is, IF you belive it.)From what i can gather IF the christian god is a real entity,hes not a peaceful loving creator, hes probably the opposite.

That's because it was a sloppily assembled text by countless authors over hundreds of years.

Also one other thing, i see people everyday and they are all so confident that what they belive is IT, nothing else is going to sway them, to be fair im kinda envious of them because im constantly struggling with the "is there? isn't there?" it just something i cant get a fix on, but reading a earlier post discusing wether life was pointless or not a lot of people have one hundred percent, one way or the other, got a grip on their morality or spitiuality or whatever, im just curious as to how and why that their so sure they are right.

I think that anyone who refuses to assimilate evidence and allow it to alter their way of thinking isn't really sure of anything. But for some people, it's more important to paint the world in black and white than it is to figure it out as you go. It really comes down to what way of interacting with the world you can live with. I, being from the "Show Me State", am not like the religious zealots. I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong... you just have to show me evidence that's better than the stuff I have in my back pocket.

i really don't want to upset anybody i just want to ask others opinions on these thoughts. i understand that the beauty of this planet we live on is that we are all born free, free to belive what we want and live our lives the way we see fit. I have full respect for others opinions and beliefs.

So do I... but the religious right in America is not content to live-and-let-live. Some, but a significant minority, see it as their god-given duty to align our society with a vision consistent with their god's beliefs. And that's where some of have said, "Enough already."

You're asking the right questions... all that matters is that you find answers that satisfy you without compromising your sense of reason.

I think you're well on your way.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:08 pm
Echi wrote
Quote:
Okay. So that's how it started. Has it changed? Is it different now?
Do you have any other reason for believing besides your faith?
Do you have any other reason for having faith besides your belief?
I still don't get it.

Quote:
echi...when i was a kid, my faith was that of a child. there was no doubt, no cynicism etc.... As i grew and was able to question what i have been taught, my faith grew. I have never doubted that God is real or that Christ is the Messiah, but i would struggle with wondering if God really cared about me and wondering (at times) why he allowed things to happen. Two instances in my life that are pretty crappy, when i felt noone else was there, and when i even turned away from God, I could still feel him comforting me. In those instances, i was able to understand how writers of the ot would describe him as a rock. Because he was my Rock, and my Strength. So to answer the first two questions, yes my faith has changed....its grown because i've grown .
as for the next question....blind faith is what started it for me (as a child) but as i grew, i could see and feel God in my life, and my faith wasn't so blind. this kind of goes along with what i just wrote. i hope that this helps you out. echi if your interested a good book to read is Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.

echi where are you???
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:01 pm
kate4christ,
What would you say is the difference between your "faith" and your "belief"?
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 03:28 pm
echi to me there isn't much difference. they go hand in hand. I believe what i believe because of my faith in Christ.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 03:50 pm
kate4christ03,

to what degree does the bible dictate your everyday life?
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 04:26 pm
i try to live my life in a way that is pleasing to God. In doing that i follow his words, the bible in every aspect (or atleast try to).
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 04:32 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
i try to live my life in a way that is pleasing to God. In doing that i follow his words, the bible in every aspect (or atleast try to).

How good do you do?
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 04:41 pm
Quote:
How good do you do?

depends on what day it is. Very Happy
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 04:43 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
echi to me there isn't much difference. they go hand in hand. I believe what i believe because of my faith in Christ.

You said that when you were a kid, your faith was that of a child. But where did it come from? What was the reason?
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 05:17 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:

But to what lengths do you go? Would you ever consider voting for a particular party simply because they had a more christian agenda, even if you disagreed with them on most other points?

echi wrote:
You said that when you were a kid, your faith was that of a child. But where did it come from? What was the reason?

I think i heard someone on this site say that there are no christian children, only children with a christian upbringing (goes for any other religion/faith as well) . You don't develop a critic sense before you are around 13-14 years old.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 03:27 am
Might be good to have confidence in your beliefs. But it would be better to have belief in your confidence.
0 Replies