Confidence in your beliefs.

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:43 am
Judging the current state of affairs in the world, who would you say seems to have been given the upper hand at this point?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:49 am
Do we decide that based on our perception, or based on what God has said is actually the case?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:54 am
Notice I asked "who has been given" . . . I did not ask who the giver was.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 02:43 pm
Quote:
Do we decide that based on our perception, or based on what God has said is actually the case?

The bible was written by men as they were influenced by God.

People should realise that unless influence = literally spoke to them, then 'influenced' leaves room for error.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 04:50 pm
Does it seem rational that God would inspire his word and then not protect it from error? (See 2Timothy 3:16)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 05:30 pm
Well, god performed a whole lot'sa unnecessary miracles to prove his point; why not an error-free bible that man has to rely on for "eternity" or until all hell breaks lose?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 06:15 pm
neologist wrote:
Does it seem rational that God would inspire his word and then not protect it from error? (See 2Timothy 3:16)

He doesn't seem as worried about others taking that word and using it in way's he never intended.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:38 pm
neologist wrote:

It doesn't seem rational that an omnipotent god would merely INSPIRE his word to such a mish mash of authors so that the end result is so ambiguous that devout believers cannot even agree on major points such as foreknowledge or the existence of hell.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 09:56 pm
Well, I understand it perfectly. :wink:
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 10:01 pm
echi wrote:
just want to say "thanks" to hankarin and neo...your avatars triggered a mini-seizure. I bit my bottom lip off, but other than that I feel completely re-aligned. Fantastic!

Neo's av has never bothered me, but that flashing yellow one that I suspect he provided hankarin is a couple of orders of magnitude more distracting.

I considered resurrecting this one since cephus hasn't used it in over three years until such time as hankarin dumped it, but alas I am too attached to kokopelli.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/8683190203f4675c8e098a.gif
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 10:02 pm
neologist wrote:
Well, I understand it perfectly. :wink:

So does Kate. :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 10:24 pm
Ain't it fun to watch us duke it out? http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/boxing.gif
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 02:00 am
Quote:

Absolutely. Inspiration is not direct word, so error cannot be ruled out.

As an example, If you look at the barley loaves and fish event told in different books of the Gospels, the numbers differ (or I may be thinking of the sermon on the mount - my memory's getting fuzzy on that one). Still, differing numbers equals an error.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 06:58 am
vikorr wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely. Inspiration is not direct word, so error cannot be ruled out.

As an example, If you look at the barley loaves and fish event told in different books of the Gospels, the numbers differ (or I may be thinking of the sermon on the mount - my memory's getting fuzzy on that one). Still, differing numbers equals an error.

Actually the two accounts refer to two separate events. That's why there's different numbers.

Same thing with Sermon on the Mount. In another gospel much of the same verbiage is attributed to Jesus, but He is located on a plain, not a mount.

Have you ever known a preacher who only used good sermon material once?

Obviously He spoke on the same topics to different crowds on more than one occasion.

Nothing unusual about that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 07:46 am
Who were those historians that wrote what jesus said at different locations? Were they the same or different people? If somebody was there to "record" what jesus said for all eternity, one would think his message would change every time, since his message is unique - unlike the ministers after his time.

BTW, which minister tells the same message to his/her congregation? Is it true that ministers repeat their sermons

Just wunder'n.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 09:06 am
Coffee's on. Just wait a few minutes, OK?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 09:58 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Who were those historians that wrote what jesus said at different locations? Were they the same or different people? If somebody was there to "record" what jesus said for all eternity, one would think his message would change every time, since his message is unique - unlike the ministers after his time.

BTW, which minister tells the same message to his/her congregation? Is it true that ministers repeat their sermons

Just wunder'n.

Jesus traveled all over Judea, Galilee, in addition to areas outside of traditional Jewish habitation (Tyre, Sidon, Samaria).

He didn't always have the same audience.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 01:40 pm
neologist wrote:
Quote:
Well, I understand it perfectly.

Quote:
mesquite wrote:So does Kate.

I understand it perfectly bc i have read the bible and believe it. and I'm the one with the scriptures to back it up Very Happy God is omniscient and omnipotent. Throughout the bible we see the evidence of this.

and yes i know i butchered you guys' quotes. sorry Embarrassed
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 03:15 pm
Quote:
Actually the two accounts refer to two separate events. That's why there's different numbers.

So some say (Usually the ones who believe in the infallibility of the Bible)

Strangely enough, in each of the books of the Gospel, which are written by different people, the event occurs only once. Given the similarities between the stories it certainly appears to be the same story, but retold by different people, with different clarity of memory.

Seriously though, do you expect two people to estimate the same number of people in a crowd? (And what do numbers matter anyway?). It's simply an error (or if you prefer, a difference in judgement)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 03:37 pm
vikorr wrote:
real life wrote:
vikorr wrote:
As an example, If you look at the barley loaves and fish event told in different books of the Gospels, the numbers differ .....differing numbers equals an error.

So some say (Usually the ones who believe in the infallibility of the Bible)

Strangely enough, in each of the books of the Gospel, which are written by different people, the event occurs only once. Given the similarities between the stories it certainly appears to be the same story, but retold by different people, with different clarity of memory.

Seriously though, do you expect two people to estimate the same number of people in a crowd? (And what do numbers matter anyway?). It's simply an error (or if you prefer, a difference in judgement)

Actually both Matthew and Mark record BOTH stories, the feeding of four thousand AND the feeding of the five thousand. http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=thousand&version1=9&searchtype=all&wholewordsonly=yes&bookset=4
0 Replies