Gonzales must resign now. "Mistakes were made."

xingu

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 02:49 pm
Quote:
Senate Bypassed on Many Key Justice Jobs
by David Welna

Morning Edition, March 29, 2007 · The Bush administration has taken full advantage of a Patriot Act provision that permits interim appointments of United States attorneys without Senate confirmation. Of federal prosecutors now on the job, 21 of 93 did not face Senate confirmation.

Both houses of Congress have voted to strip the Patriot Act of the provision that allows the administration to bypass the Senate when appointing U.S. attorneys.

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, where the White House would normally send nominations for filling empty U.S. attorney slots. But Leahy has received no nominations for the 18 U.S. attorney posts currently open, including the eight cleared by last year's firings.

Sen. Leahy thinks that's mainly because Attorney General Gonzales was using the provision stuck into the Patriot Act to avoid Senate scrutiny of his appointees.

"It's obvious they wanted to use this Republican-written backdoor way in the Patriot Act [to bypass the Senate]," Sen. Leahy said.

Arizona Republican Sen. Jon Kyl says he had no idea so many U.S. attorneys are officially temporary and serving without Senate confirmation.

"It's not good to have vacancies," Sen. Kyl said. "You need to have confirmations. And I don't know why the number is the way it is."

The White House, for its part, did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

Other Vacancies

Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania is the Judiciary panel's top Republican. He says the problem goes beyond U.S. attorneys. There have also been no Bush administration nominations for dozens of federal judgeships, including 10 circuit court vacancies.

"The White House has been, I think, so busy with so many other matters, the terrorist surveillance program, the habeas corpus litigation, the U.S. attorneys controversy, that there have been quite a number of matters which have not moved through the White House counsel's office as promptly as they should," Specter said.

Duke University law professor Michael Gerhardt says the White House has traditionally nominated U.S. attorneys who were suggested by senators from the states where they'd serve. But under the Bush administration, he says, that patronage system has run into resistance.

"Senators have been proposing people to the White House, but those people have been rejected," Gerhardt said. "That can't make those senators feel very good. And it probably creates some friction between those senators and the White House."

Alaska Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski, who suggested names to the White House last year for her state's vacant federal prosecutor post, has questions about the process.

"I am concerned that the selections … [that] were advanced by Sen. Stevens (R-AK)and myself to fill the Alaska U.S. attorneys office have not yet been acted upon," Murkowski said.

Sen. Murkowski says she and Sen. Stevens were essentially ignored.

"Both names that we had submitted were turned down by the White House for unknown reasons," Sen. Murkowski said. "And then, without any word to either Sen. Stevens or myself, Mr. Nelson Cohen from the state of Pennsylvania was announced to be our interim U.S. attorney."

Confirmations on the Horizon?

There's also anger among lawmakers from Illinois where Republican Rep. Denny Hastert, the former House speaker, has offered a series of names for federal prosecutors' posts. Sen. Dick Durbin, the Senate's number-two Democrat, says the White House has simply ignored the names he and Hastert agreed on. And it's led to a situation Durbin calls "awful."

"The southern district of Illinois has had seven U.S. attorneys in five years!" Durbin said. "It's been a revolving door. Nobody will stay. And I really think the Department of Justice and the White House have to be held accountable on this."

But the number of unconfirmed U.S. attorneys could dwindle once, as expected, the repeal of the Patriot Act provision becomes law. Ranking Judiciary panel member Sen. Specter predicts the Senate will soon have more say over U.S. attorneys.

"The appointments which have been made under the Patriot Act are interim appointments. So, before they will be permanent, they will have to be confirmed by the Senate," Sen. Specter said.

It's not clear how much friction over U.S. attorney appointments has affected the fight over the federal prosecutors' firings. But it certainly has not helped an embattled White House on Capitol Hill.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9204310
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 03:11 pm
Hatch kissing ass with Sampson. Great job, Kyle! Served well, we all make mistakes. Rambling about Lam and how she didn't prosecute enough gun cases, on and on... half his time and hasn't asked a single question.

Is this a hearing, with a witness under oath or a chance for Hatch to give a speech?

Oooh, wait. 7 minutes into his ten and I think he's gonna ask... Yep, he's asking if the president has the right to ask a US attorney to resign.

Well, Duh!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 03:12 pm
This, I swear to god, is the first time I have ever heard of President Bush having a "Project Safe Neighborhood" program. Hatch keeps bringing it up with Sampson, and how the policy required more handgun prosecutions since it was an important policy to the president.

Who's ever heard of this program?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 07:03 pm
You mean other than hearing that the NRA was opposed to it? LINK

Joe(They want babies to carry guns)Nation
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 07:05 pm
Another Justice Screw-Up... This one by an appointee not confirmed and put in by the provision in the Patriot Act.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 07:09 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
You mean other than hearing that the NRA was opposed to it? LINK

Joe(They want babies to carry guns)Nation

June 2002?

I guess DOJ was giving USA's time to figure out the program and the deadline for doing so just happened to be after the 2006 election.

Yeah. That's it.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:09 am
Doesn't Chuckie Schumer have a staff to manage besides trying to micromanage Bush's staff as well? I would suggest the man get some new glasses to look down his nose over when he looks at his potential victims on the witness stand. I would love to look down my nose at Schumer and tell the guy to mind his own business.

Sampson seems like a nice guy, but where do these gutless wonders come from.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:18 am
squinney wrote:
Another Justice Screw-Up... This one by an appointee not confirmed and put in by the provision in the Patriot Act.

Just get rid of this goddamned Patriot act. It's not even slightly applicable to the current status of your country.

There is no war on terror. How many generals do you need to tell you?

Occupying a country that is segregated religiously is not war.

Piss it off. It had no meaning when introduced, and it has less meaning now that all the bullshit has been exposed.

Destroy it, and the retards who fed you all the propaganda that created it.

It is an international farce.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:25 am
How old are you, okie? Ever hear of middle-aged eye? As you age, you get farsighted. That means you need glasses to read and see stuff up close. But you can't use them to look at anything far away, like a witness sitting in a chair twenty feet away. So you look over the top of them, to keep things in focus. It's gonna happen to you, if it hasn't already, so don't denigrate someone else for it, because you'll do it too. And we'll give you cr*p for it when it does.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:27 am
I don't suppose it would interest you at all to become a little more informed about how many schemes the government has detected and deterred because of the Patriot Act?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:29 am
username wrote:
How old are you, okie? Ever hear of middle-aged eye? As you age, you get farsighted. That means you need glasses to read and see stuff up close. But you can't use them to look at anything far away, like a witness sitting in a chair twenty feet away. So you look over the top of them, to keep things in focus. It's gonna happen to you, if it hasn't already, so don't denigrate someone else for it, because you'll do it too. And we'll give you cr*p for it when it does.

I understand, but its not the glasses, it is the arrogance.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:38 am
As I remember the counts, fewer than the Clinton administration stopped without it. And if you read any analyses of the "schemes" they allege they've stopped using the act, most of the cases are crap.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 12:50 am
okie wrote:
I don't suppose it would interest you at all to become a little more informed about how many schemes the government has detected and deterred because of the Patriot Act?

Spying happens as a matter of course, okie.

Name the schemes that were deterred or just detected by the imposition of this ridiculous farce called the 'Patriot Act'?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 03:23 am
Builder wrote:
okie wrote:

Spying happens as a matter of course, okie.

How about plots? And if they happen as a matter of course, does it make sense to make them more difficult to detect?

Quote:
Name the schemes that were deterred or just detected by the imposition of this ridiculous farce called the 'Patriot Act'?
The ridiculous farce is your opinion.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 03:29 am
okie wrote:

How about plots? And if they happen as a matter of course, does it make sense to make them more difficult to detect?

If you want a rundown of how your government operatives work clandestinely, there are any number of novels about the subject available.

okie wrote:
The ridiculous farce is your opinion.

The ridiculous farce is what we are confronting now.

Or aren't you hearing the news, okie?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 05:20 am
Why is this man laughing?http://www.lifeandliberty.gov/images/latestnews_ag.jpg

It is nice to know that he gave a couple of young kids with no prosecutorial experience a shot at appraising the work of actual prosecutors and letting them make up a list of which toadies should be kept on and which disloyalists (hiss hiss) shalt be thrown overboard.

I know who should replace him. The guy has experience in managing large horse riding events and the occasional national disaster and the President says he does a heckuva job.

Joe(Brownie for DOJ Chief)Nation
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 05:31 am
Joe Nation wrote:
......... and the President says he does a heckuva job.

That's the clincher. He's in.

Pretty much like Michael Brown with the New Orleans crisis. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 05:35 am
Mikey is my pick for the new Attorney General.

Joe(Oops, he'll need to be confirmed.)Nation
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 05:41 am
I just have one question before he's sworn in... Can he keep a file?
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 05:43 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Mikey is my pick for the new Attorney General.

Are you serious? I never can tell with you.
0 Replies