Gonzales must resign now. "Mistakes were made."

blatham

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 10:51 pm
McGentrix wrote:
blatham wrote:
An aspect to this which I find extremely distasteful is that given a Dem presidential win, they are going to have to do an ideological purge. That wouldn't have been so if Bush administration appointees were anything like moderates, even if Republican. And it will be a lot of people because of what Rove tried to do.

Yes, lets replace one set of idealogues for another. That's a brilliant plan.

It doesn't have to be played that way. And it will be destructive if it is. There are a lot of good republicans, by which I mean non-extremists who aren't ideologues of the Monica Goodling, Gonzales, Rove sort. There's no reason why they can't serve in a Dem government and there are good reasons to have them there. If the Dems were to win and then duplicate what the Bush administration has done, that would be destructive and hopefully, whoever is responsible in such an event would follow Gonzales and Libby and Rove into grand jury indictiments and, with justice, jail.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 05:32 am
It doesn't have to be played that way and, until these 'only Party loyalists have a voice' neo-cons gained power, it wasn't played that way.

Joe(what a shameful chapter this era has been)Nation
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 09:09 am
Rove and many others in the new conservative movement wished (wish yet) single party rule in US politics, a goal which by its very nature must destroy democracy. When there is only one choice, there is no choice.

It appears this goal is now not likely to be achieved. The sole threat still remaining is a Giuliani presidency. If his candidacy is successful, then the american period will likely terminate in a truly tragic dystopia.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 11:41 am
Well I don't think it will be that bad. Democrats still rule Congress and may be even stronger after the next election regardless of who's elected president.

I don't think Rudy is as attached to the neocons as Bush so all this tough talk my be for the purpose of seeking political support from the conservative warmongers. Of course he's going to milk 9/11 to the hilt but 9/11 is getting old. What the Republicans need is another 9/11 before the election. Rudy will gain a lot from that.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 09:52 pm
I don't trust Rudy G.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 01:54 am
xingu wrote:
Well I don't think it will be that bad. Democrats still rule Congress and may be even stronger after the next election regardless of who's elected president.

I don't think Rudy is as attached to the neocons as Bush so all this tough talk my be for the purpose of seeking political support from the conservative warmongers. Of course he's going to milk 9/11 to the hilt but 9/11 is getting old. What the Republicans need is another 9/11 before the election. Rudy will gain a lot from that.

I'm afraid he now has almost the full neoconservative contingent either in his advisory team or in his corner. Texas oil money as well. Plus the conservative movement biggies (Federalist Society, AEI, etc). We can, I think, assume as well the military/industrial people and money. and he has Fox and the other Murdoch holdings and Pat Robertson, of course.

Krugman argues in his new book that there are compelling demographic and cultural forces working to push back the conservative trends of the last three decades and working to forward a resurgence of progressive values and policies. There's widespread desire for some version of universal medical insurance, for example.

The right now faces a significant threat to the gains they've made towards eviscerating New Deal values and policies. They realize it. They are going to fight big and ugly. Rudy is by far their best hope, not merely as regards at the voting booth but also as regards predictability of the policies he will forward if he wins. And it is arguable that he will be even more intemperate than Bush in matters of foreign policy and civil rights. Further, his record suggest that he'll be no different in terms of government by cronies.

Given the precedents now in place re unitary presidency and given the makeup of the Supreme Court (only to become worse given he wins) it is difficult to know how much a radical authoritarian (which I consider him to be) will be slowed even if both houses fall Democrat.

Add to all of this, the turmoil that seems likely to arise given a continuation of Bush-style foreign policies (would you be suprised to see John Bolton appointed by Giuliani as, say, Secretary of State?) and turmoil increasing due to the possible consequences of global warming, then something quite dystopian could certainly arise. Pessimistic...yup, but possible.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 05:47 pm
Quote:
AP News Alert

WASHINGTON (AP) _ Rachel Paulose, the embattled U.S. attorney for Minnesota, will be leaving the post to take a position at the Justice Department in Washington, according to a Bush administration official and congressional aide.

Staff
AP News

Nov 19, 2007 16:22 EST

Rachel Paulose, the embattled U.S. attorney for Minnesota, will be leaving the post to take a position at the Justice Department in Washington, according to a Bush administration official and congressional aide.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 05:55 am
Well, I am just shocked.

Joe(Shocking news. shocking)Nation
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:18 am
Just read that Bush was involved in leak case. Now what?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 03:06 pm
Fun WSJ item...
Quote:
Head of Rove Inquiry in Hot Seat Himself
Bloch Used Private Company,
Geeks on Call, to Delete Files
On His Office Computer
By JOHN R. WILKE
November 28, 2007; Page A6

WASHINGTON -- The head of the federal agency investigating Karl Rove's White House political operation is facing allegations that he improperly deleted computer files during another probe, using a private computer-help company, Geeks on Call.

Scott Bloch runs the Office of Special Counsel, an agency charged with protecting government whistleblowers and enforcing a ban on federal employees engaging in partisan political activity. Mr. Bloch's agency is looking into whether Mr. Rove and other White House officials used government agencies to help re-elect Republicans in 2006.

At the same time, Mr. Bloch has himself been under investigation since 2005. At the direction of the White House, the federal Office of Personnel Management's inspector general is looking into claims that Mr. Bloch improperly retaliated against employees and dismissed whistleblower cases without adequate examination.

Recently, investigators learned that Mr. Bloch erased all the files on his office personal computer late last year. They are now trying to determine whether the deletions were improper or part of a cover-up, lawyers close to the case said.

Bypassing his agency's computer technicians, Mr. Bloch phoned 1-800-905-GEEKS for Geeks on Call, the mobile PC-help service. It dispatched a technician in one of its signature PT Cruiser wagons. In an interview, the 49-year-old former labor-law litigator from Lawrence, Kan., confirmed that he contacted Geeks on Call but said he was trying to eradicate a virus that had seized control of his computer.

Mr. Bloch had his computer's hard disk completely cleansed using a "seven-level" wipe: a thorough scrubbing that conforms to Defense Department data-security standards. The process makes it nearly impossible for forensics experts to restore the data later. He also directed Geeks on Call to erase laptop computers that had been used by his two top political deputies, who had recently left the agency.

Geeks on Call visited Mr. Bloch's government office in a nondescript office building on M Street in Washington twice, on Dec. 18 and Dec. 21, 2006, according to a receipt reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. The total charge was $1,149, paid with an agency credit card, the receipt shows. The receipt says a seven-level wipe was performed but doesn't mention any computer virus.

Jeff Phelps, who runs Washington's Geeks on Call franchise, declined to talk about specific clients, but said calls placed directly by government officials are unusual. He also said erasing a drive is an unusual virus treatment. "We don't do a seven-level wipe for a virus," he said.
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB119621772122306160.html?mod=blog
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 06:53 pm
If the White House had a henhouse the head of the guard unit would be a Mr. Fox.

Joe("How do you like Chickens?" "Very, very much.")Nation
0 Replies