Gonzales must resign now. "Mistakes were made."

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:38 am
This is a non-issue. The White House can fire as many of these prosecutors as it wants for any reason it wants, including failing a political litmus test. It's just the latest in the long list of nonsensical reasons why Bush should be impeached or, as in this particular case, why someone in his staff should resign.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:47 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
This is a non-issue. The White House can fire as many of these prosecutors as it wants for any reason it wants, including failing a political litmus test. It's just the latest in the long list of nonsensical reasons why Bush should be impeached or, as in this particular case, why someone in his staff should resign.

Yes, we can only assume Sununu has been hitting the koolaid.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:52 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

Ridiculous. AG Gonzales will be forced out because he lied under oath, which I guarantee you agree is an issue.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:56 am
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:59 am
okie wrote:
So now I get it. If attorneys do not prosecute voter fraud by Democrat buddies, Republicans have absolutely no right to even imply in the slightest that this might be incompetence?

As I said, it is now becoming illegal to be a Republican.

The fired attorneys ARE Republicans and were appointed by Bush. Why fire your own appointees whose terms have expired? Maybe in order to test drive your new powers (given over by a pussy-ass congress in the PATRIOT act) which allow you to replace them without senatorial confirmation.

It's all perfectly legal, but IMO really really bad for the country.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:01 am
If Bush doesn't like the way a US attorney combs his hair, he can get rid of them. That 8 US attorneys have been replaced because Bush didn't like their politics is no big whoop-dee-doo. Unless you are a liberal and doesn't like Bush in which case it's some sort of federal crime... (which it isn't.)

This remains a tempest in a teapot.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:04 am
Quote:
If Bush doesn't like the way a US attorney combs his hair, he can get rid of them.

You are 100% incorrect. Foolish thing to say.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:08 am
okie wrote:
So now I get it. If attorneys do not prosecute voter fraud by Democrat buddies, Republicans have absolutely no right to even imply in the slightest that this might be incompetence?

As I said, it is now becoming illegal to be a Republican.

Noo, the point is that republicans were calling prosecutors and pressuring them to prosecute democrats before the november elections. When those prosecutors didn't bow to pressure they were fired. This spinning ya'll are trying is not working, been tried too many times.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:22 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Ridiculous. AG Gonzales will be forced out because he lied under oath, which I guarantee you agree is an issue.

Cycloptichorn

Lying under oath is indeed an issue and unacceptable, but the firings themselves are not. To be honest, I am not familiar with Gonzales' testimony under oath.

I will state one exception to my condemnation of lying under oath, though, which doesn't apply in this case, but is of some interest. If the question asked is about something irrelevant, the prosecutors acting only politically to try to pin anything they can on you, and the question subject to interpretation, I am not very upset about what might technically be a lie, as in the case of President Clinton's statement about cheating on his wife.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:26 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Lying under oath is indeed an issue and unacceptable, but the firings themselves are not. To be honest, I am not familiar with Gonzales' testimony under oath.

I will state one exception to my condemnation of lying under oath, though, which doesn't apply in this case, but is of some interest. If the question asked is about something unimportant, the prosecutors acting only politically to try to pin anything they can on you, and the question subject to interpretation, I am not very upset about what might technically be a lie, as in the case of President Clinton.

Fair enough, that's a reasoned and balanced view.

Gonzales is in trouble because his office basically tried to hide the fact that these prosecutors had been targeted by the WH for removal, primarily because they either were going after too many Republicans or not going after enough Democrats(allegedly, with evidence to back it up). Not just Gonzales but several members of the DoJ who testified straight-up lied or told untruths to congress, under oath. That's why Gonzales apologized so publicly; he knows he's in jeopardy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:34 am
McGentrix wrote:
That 8 US attorneys have been replaced because Bush didn't like their politics is no big whoop-dee-doo.

they're Republican - he's Republican. Shouldn't he like their 'politics'?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:40 am
That there was a string of e-mails and conversations stratergizing over how to fire them ... isn't that pretty damning evidence that they knew what they were doing was wrong?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:43 am
squinney wrote:
That there was a string of e-mails and conversations stratergizing over how to fire them ... isn't that pretty damning evidence that they knew what they were doing was wrong?

Yes, it most definitely does seem to be evidence that what they were doing was wrong.

My favorite email is the one from Sampson to Miers in which he discusses the 'imminent problem with Lam' - date may 11, 2006, the same day it was reported that Lam was widening her probe of Cunningham to include Doolittle and Jerry Lewis, two other corrupt Republicans.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:46 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
If Bush doesn't like the way a US attorney combs his hair, he can get rid of them.

Cycloptichorn

Instead of being a d***, how about explaining what "can be replaced, at least theoretically, at any time for any reason." means to you?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:51 am
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Instead of being a d***, how about explaining what "can be replaced, at least theoretically, at any time for any reason." means to you?

The problem is the words 'for any reason.'

The president cannot replace attorneys for 'any reason' he likes, unfortunately.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:56 am
It is not acceptable to use U. S. Attorneys as weapons against the Dems. Apparently, that is what the administration sought to do, and probably did on a number of occasions. While, perhaps, the letter of the law was not violated, surely legislation will result from this. We now know that a related provision of the Patriot Act will soon be changed.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 11:00 am
I don't have time to research it at the moment, but would be interested in any cases that were pursued during this time frame aganst dems and the results. Also, any cases against Republicans in the same time frame and the outcome.

Has anyone done that yet?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 11:01 am
squinney wrote:
I don't have time to research it at the moment, but would be interested in any cases that were pursued during this time frame aganst dems and the results. Also, any cases against Republicans in the same time frame and the outcome.

Has anyone done that yet?

Yup. 7-1 prosecutions of Dems-Republicans

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 11:56 am
Anyone who buys these misleading statements from the administration and the attorney general is just being willfully blind, there is simply no excuse to defend these people.

Statements On Firings of Prosecutors Are Key Issue

Quote:
In testimony on Jan. 18, Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales assured the Senate Judiciary Committee that the Justice Department had no intention of avoiding Senate input on the hiring of U.S. attorneys.

Just a month earlier, D. Kyle Sampson, who was then Gonzales's chief of staff, laid out a plan to do just that. In an e-mail, he detailed a strategy for evading Arkansas Democrats in installing Tim Griffin, a former GOP operative and protege of presidential adviser Karl Rove, as the U.S. attorney in Little Rock.

"We should gum this to death," Sampson wrote to a White House aide on Dec. 19. "[A]sk the senators to give Tim a chance . . . then we can tell them we'll look for other candidates, ask them for recommendations, evaluate the recommendations, interview their candidates, and otherwise run out the clock. All of this should be done in 'good faith,' of course."

The conflict between documents released this week and previous administration statements is quickly becoming the central issue for lawmakers who are angry about the way Gonzales and his aides handled the coordinated firings of eight U.S. attorneys last year.

Democrats and Republicans are demanding to know whether Gonzales, Deputy Attorney General Paul J. McNulty and other Justice officials misled them in sworn testimony over the past two months. Yesterday, Republican Sen. John E. Sununu (N.H.) joined a handful of Democrats in calling on President Bush to fire his attorney general and longtime friend.

Gonzales has declined to address the apparent contradictions in detail, saying only that he was unaware of the specifics of the plan that Sampson was orchestrating.

The inconsistencies between Justice's positions and the documents are numerous. On Feb. 23, for example, a Justice legislative affairs aide wrote to Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) that the department "was not aware of Karl Rove playing any role in the decision to appoint Mr. Griffin." But internal Justice e-mails show that "getting him appointed is important" to Rove and was closely monitored by political aides in the White House.

Last week, senior Justice official William E. Moschella told a House Judiciary subcommittee that the White House was not consulted on the firings until the end of the process.

But the documents released this week show that the plan began more than two years ago at the White House counsel's office, which initially suggested firing all 93 U.S. attorneys. Gonzales rejected that idea, and Sampson wrote back in January 2006 that Justice and the White House should "work together to seek the replacement of a limited number of U.S. Attorneys."

Schumer argued this week that Sampson "may well have obstructed justice" by not disclosing his communications to Congress and other senior Justice officials, who had said for weeks that the White House had only a limited role in the removals. "There has been misleading statement after misleading statement, and these have been deliberately misleading statements," Schumer said yesterday.

Another very interesting article is this one.

firings didn't 'come out of head of Zeus'

Quote:

It is shameful we have these people in office and they were actually elected to be there.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 12:57 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

funniest post so far today....
0 Replies