Gonzales must resign now. "Mistakes were made."

Advocate

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 03:47 pm
Gorelick wanted convictions to stick. Good for her!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 04:42 pm
It's not like we didn't have any warnings. I would have thought that his memo on torture would have been enough, but we do tend to hope for the best in the country. There were statements at the time that the long term members of the Justice Department would aid in guiding Mr. Gonzalez (they now sound quite similar to those wishful statements concerning Mr. Bush's lack of foreign policy experience)

God, if she exists, must be helping us, or they are just too incompetent to pull over the complete evisceration of the American Constitution.

Joe(I cannot see this leading to any but a Congressional Committee on Impeachment, all my friends think the Yankees are set for a comeback.)Nation
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 05:37 pm
Advocate wrote:
Joe, good post. Gorelick felt constrained to abide by the constitution, something that Alberto ignored to the country's detriment.

Joe, lousy post, Clinton and administration was most corrupt in history.

Those were your glory days. For some of us that care about the country first instead of party first, it was bad news, the worst we'd seen in decades of life.

By the way, I have not defended Gonzales, as I thought he was a weak Attorney General, but not near as bad as Reno.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 06:40 pm
Tell us okie, do you wish we could have a special prosecutor going after Bush and his administration like the one going after Clinton?

What do you think they would find?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 06:59 pm
okie wrote:
Advocate wrote:
Joe, good post. Gorelick felt constrained to abide by the constitution, something that Alberto ignored to the country's detriment.

Maybe on the okie or Hannity meter but not on any unbiased standard I can think of.

Most convictions of administration officials - Not Clinton..
Removal from office by impeachment - Not Clinton
Most indictments of administration officials - Not Clinton
Most investigations of administrative officials - again - NOT Clintons

What is your unbiased standard okie?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:13 pm
okie wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Those were your glory days. For some of us that care about the country first instead of party first, it was bad news, the worst we'd seen in decades of life.

By the way, I have not defended Gonzales, as I thought he was a weak Attorney General, but not near as bad as Reno.

You're just wrong on the facts, okie, yes, there were "scandals" generated tabloid style on a weekly, Travelgate, Filegate, Who Murdered Vince etc, but they all turned out to the kind of stuff that Mr. Starr threatened to put people in jail for lying about, and he wasn't talking about the Clintons. At the end of all the investigations into all the scandals there wasn't any there there, it was all rightwing poopie.

In the end they got Bill for lying about getting a blowjob and he had to pay Paula Jones some money for waving his willie at her. Hey, he's a horndog or was.

He still signed the biggest welfare reform bill changes ever and had the last balanced budget. Oh, and he didn't claim to be a uniter while dividing the country up into us and youse guys. He didn't invade any countries unilaterally or tell the rest of the world they were either with us or against us, because saying that would be stupid.

As for caring about the country over party, you've really got to talk more to Tom DeLay and Karl Rove. They want you to know that as far as they are concerned the country can go to hell as long as they have power and their friends are making money.

Joe(go ahead and ask them)Nation
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:20 pm
Scandals galore, pardoning terrorists, foreign campaign money for who knows what, FBI files, IRS auditing enemies, Whitewater, numerous credible rape and sexual harassment allegations, personal threats to people that would dare to cross the Clintons, repeated lies about anything and everything. this is only a start. Yes I am glad to be rid of them for a while, but it is absolutely unthinkable to have to tolerate that crowd of crooks again.

Your party can't find a better person out of millions of Democrats to run in this country?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:32 pm
Okie wrote and I added my underlined comments
Quote:
Scandals galore, Nope, all fakies
pardoning terrorists,Who?
foreign campaign money for who knows what,Golly sounds like today.
FBI files,Nope Starr found NOTHING
IRS auditing enemies,Nope Starr found NOTHING
Whitewater,Nope ditto ditto ditto
numerous credible rape and sexual harassment allegations,Nope, Richard Scaife money welll spent

personal threats to people that would dare to cross the Clintons, You're kidding right? Any police reports??

repeated lies about anything and everything. is a lie. Well, something here is a lie.

this is only a start. Yes I am glad to be rid of them for a while, but it is absolutely unthinkable to have to tolerate that crowd of crooks again.

Your party can't find a better person out of millions of Democrats to run in this country?

Joe(what a drag it must be to be a true believer)Nation
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 07:37 pm
okie wrote:
Scandals galore, pardoning terrorists, foreign campaign money for who knows what, FBI files, IRS auditing enemies, Whitewater, numerous credible rape and sexual harassment allegations, personal threats to people that would dare to cross the Clintons, repeated lies about anything and everything. this is only a start. Yes I am glad to be rid of them for a while, but it is absolutely unthinkable to have to tolerate that crowd of crooks again.

Most of that and more applies to Bush..

Scandals? Yes.
Pardoning terrorists? He certainly forgot to look for one and is now creating them at a very fast rate because of his actions.
foreign campaign money? that and other illegal monies were contributed to Bush but like Clinton there is no proof that Clinton or Bush knew.
FBI files? allegations of it, certainly snooping without warrants
IRS auditing enemies? Something that can't be substantiated for CLinton but you don't care about facts obviously. Hey.. I was audited under Bush. I guess that counts.
Whitewater? Allegations of insider trading by Bush
rape allegations? Yes, and then the woman mysteriously died...
personal threats? Went beyond just threats in outing a CIA agent
cocaine use
failure to complete his military service
Allowing the WH to be sold to Abramof
Politicizing the biggest tragedy since Pearl Harbor. (Why did that Iraq report get moved up to 9/11?)

Of course you will argue that some of my statements aren't supported but they have more substance than yours when we look at the actual provable facts.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 08:06 pm
Cunningham, DeLay, Ney, et al., outright sold their votes, and the Reps never asked them to resign. What could be worse than this White House outing a CIA spy. Etc., etc. As the stomach turns!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 05:02 am
And as far as I know, Al Gore never shot anybody in the face.

Joe(or tried to hush it up for three days.)Nation
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 11:48 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Okie wrote and I added my underlined comments
Quote:
Scandals galore, Nope, all fakies
pardoning terrorists,Who?
foreign campaign money for who knows what,Golly sounds like today.
FBI files,Nope Starr found NOTHING
IRS auditing enemies,Nope Starr found NOTHING
Whitewater,Nope ditto ditto ditto
numerous credible rape and sexual harassment allegations,Nope, Richard Scaife money welll spent

personal threats to people that would dare to cross the Clintons, You're kidding right? Any police reports??

repeated lies about anything and everything. is a lie. Well, something here is a lie.

this is only a start. Yes I am glad to be rid of them for a while, but it is absolutely unthinkable to have to tolerate that crowd of crooks again.

Joe(what a drag it must be to be a true believer)Nation

Joe,
I will not list everything,but I am going to respond to your question about any terrorists pardoned by Clinton.

Surely your memory isnt that selective?

Here is some info for you to read, then you can admit yourself that Clinton granted clemency to known terrorists,terrorists that had attacked and killed US citizens.

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/puertorico/sep4.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton_pardons_controversy#FALN_Pardons_of_1999

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/09/08/congress.faln/

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/09/05/senate.2000/hillary.puerto.rico/

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/09/02/clemency/

Those should be enough to refresh your memory.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:28 pm
LOL. After reading the links, it is clear that Clinton didn't pardon terrorists. (terrorists being those convicted of violent crimes against, in this case, U.S. citizens.) In fact, Clinton didn't even pardon the Puerto Ricans accused, he commuted their sentences after serving 19 years!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 07:03 am
Heh, heh, good one, MM, I thought you were serious, but thanks for reminding me just what a political world the Republicans lived in in those days. (Were their legs tied together or was that a natural lockset?)

The only Democratic officeholder to oppose those commutations, despite urgings from both the Cardinal of New York and the Archbishop of Puerto Rico, was James Traficant of Ohio. You remember him don't you? He's the guy who tried for ten years to get the Feds to leave a former SS concentration camp guard alone and then went to jail himself for fraud. Good bedfellow there for the Republicans.

Andwho thanks for the memories. Oh, there was one prominent non-office-holding Democrat who asked the President to withdraw his offer after it took three weeks or so for the convicted to make up their minds over whether they could renounce violence as a means to political ends. (tough guys, yah know.) She was right in asking them to fish or cut bait.

Her name was Hillary Clinton.

Joe(Maybe she will commute Mr. Traficant's sentence.)Nation
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 08:25 am
I never claimed that Clinton pardoned any terrorists.
I just provided the info so you could see what Okie was talking about.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 09:07 am
mysteryman wrote:

Nonsense, you tried to lend credence to what MM posted that Clinton pardoned terrorists, you even claimed that
Quote:
Clinton granted clemency to known terrorists, terrorists [sic] that had attacked and killed US citizens.

Your statement is false as your own links prove.

The question is, "Are you lying or just mistaken?"
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 10:35 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Nonsense, you tried to lend credence to what MM posted that Clinton pardoned terrorists, you even claimed that
Quote:
Clinton granted clemency to known terrorists, terrorists [sic] that had attacked and killed US citizens.

Your statement is false as your own links prove.

The question is, "Are you lying or just mistaken?"

The last link I posted states this...

Quote:
AUBURN, New York (CNN) -- The White House said Thursday that President Bill Clinton's controversial offer of clemency to 16 members of a Puerto Rican nationalist group was extended only to members of the organization "not associated with the more violent acts that led to injuries."

So,since the WH used the word clemency,why am I wrong when I use the same word?

And since under US law,if you aid in the planning of a felony you are just as guilty as the person committing the felony,there is absolutely nothing false or misleading about what I wrote.

Nice try though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 11:12 am
"not associated with the more violent acts that led to injuries."
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 11:26 am
mysteryman wrote:
The last link I posted states this...

Quote:
AUBURN, New York (CNN) -- The White House said Thursday that President Bill Clinton's controversial offer of clemency to 16 members of a Puerto Rican nationalist group was extended only to members of the organization "not associated with the more violent acts that led to injuries."

So,since the WH used the word clemency,why am I wrong when I use the same word?

Your link does NOT quote the WH using the word clemency. The author of the article used clemancy as a setup to the quoted words "not associated with the more violent acts that led to injuries." .

Nice try though.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 04:31 pm
SEPTEMBER 12, 2007 by Faiz Shakir, Amanda Terkel, Satyam Khanna,
Matt Corley, and Ali Frick

ADMINISTRATION
No More 'Loyal Bushies' At Justice
Next Monday, Alberto Gonzales, who announced his resignation in August, will officially step down as the Attorney General of the United States. Having taken control of the Department of Justice in 2005, Gonzales leaves the Department's credibility in tatters and with staff morale considered "worse...than during Watergate." With both political hiring and political firing such common practices in the Bush Justice Department, the independence of the unit has been undermined to such an extent that defense attorneys are now able to gain traction with accusations of politically motivated prosecutions that previously would have been dismissed. The next Attorney General, whomever he or she may be, needs "a proven track record of independence to ensure that he or she will act as an independent check on this administration's expansive claims of virtually unlimited executive power," said Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-VT) recently. Unlike Gonzales, the next Attorney General should also have the integrity to "just say no" when the administration disregards the Constitution and the rule of law, whether it be seeking to legalize torture or illegally wiretapping American citizens. Tell your senator we need an Attorney General who can say "no" to President Bush. Take action HERE.

A POLITICIZED DEPARTMENT: The consideration of political affiliation in the hiring of career employees is forbidden by both federal law and internal Justice Department rules. Since May, Glenn Fine, the Inspector General of the Justice Department, has been investigating "allegations regarding improper political or other considerations in hiring decisions within the Department of Justice." He has much to investigate. In the past four months, at least two now-former Justice Department officials have admitted to "crossing the line" while screening potential employees at the Department. In May, Monica Goodling, the former Justice Department Liaison to the White House, conceded during testimony before the House Judiciary Committee that she had "taken inappropriate political considerations into account" while hiring and that it was "illegal" to do so. Goodling also admitted that she "considered party affiliation in screening applicants to become immigration judges." In written answers to questions from the Senate Judiciary Committee last week, former Justice Department official Bradley Schlozman also admitted that he had once urged hiring certain prosecutors for his office based on their political affiliation.

THE NEED FOR INDEPENDENCE: With the administration embroiled in scandal after scandal where officials appear to have broken the law, the next Attorney General must be someone who can credibly investigate the administration's current, future, and past transgressions. The Justice Department, however has actually signed of on many of the Bush administration's most significant tramplings of the rule of law. In his new book, The Terror Presidency, former Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) chief Jack Goldsmith reveals that affirmative opinions by the OLC are treated as "the equivalent of 'an advance pardon' for actions taken at the fuzzy edges of criminal laws." Internal Justice Department opinions have helped justify interrogation policies that violate international norms, rationalized the removal of warrant safeguards on domestic eavesdropping, and the removal of habeas corpus rights from detainees in American custody. With Congress finally willing to act on its oversight duties, the next Attorney General must be willing and able to act independently of the administration if the facts warrant it.

WHO WILL IT BE? The administration "is closing in on a nominee to replace" Gonzales, with the list of potential successors whittled down to a slim five. Though Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff was initially touted as the top nominee, former Solicitor General Ted Olson is now seen as the frontrunner. Other finalists include former U.S. district chief judge Michael Mukasey of New York; Laurence H. Silberman, a senior circuit judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit; George J. Terwilliger, a former deputy attorney general under President George H.W. Bush; and Larry D. Thompson, a former deputy attorney general in this administration. Fox News has reported that Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) "also is being strongly considered." Reportedly, Thompson and Silberman have "rebuffed" the administration's feelers on the position. If Olson is the nominee, a bruising confirmation battle can likely be expected. "Clearly if you made a list of consensus nominees, Olson wouldn’t appear on that list," Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) told the New York Times.
0 Replies