parados

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:23 pm
Quote:
Now another question, if the CIA did not pay him to go down there, what really did happen,

Of course, no TRUE American patriot would ever do something like that without demanding they get paid a lot of money. Hell. look at Cheney and all the money he has made off Haliburton. That is a real patriot.

Of course okie, as the congressional investigation moves forward we may find out what the CIA actually told the President. But then I am sure you will say that Wilson caused them to lie to the President if it turns out to be something different than what you want to believe.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:49 pm
True patriots are not volunteer loose cannons and self proclaimed experts, parados. So logical. Yes, just what we need to make government policy and do CIA work to determine foreign policy, self proclaimed experts that make a trip, prove nothing, then come back and start writing books and oped pieces. If we can't do better than that, I would say its over. Especially intelligence work. How many billion do we spend on the CIA? Is that the best they can do?

And worse than that, you have the press fawning over such people, as if they are heros. Pathetic.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:32 am
okie wrote:
True patriots are not volunteer loose cannons and self proclaimed experts, parados. So logical. Yes, just what we need to make government policy and do CIA work to determine foreign policy, self proclaimed experts that make a trip, prove nothing, then come back and start writing books and oped pieces. If we can't do better than that, I would say its over. Especially intelligence work. How many billion do we spend on the CIA? Is that the best they can do?

And worse than that, you have the press fawning over such people, as if they are heros. Pathetic.

Your sense of reality is becoming more and more skewed okie.

Wilson did not come back and start writing books and oped pieces. He came back and made a CIA report. He didn't write an oped piece until well after Bush misrepresented what was found in Niger. Why did the Bush administration say they shouldn't have put that part in? Why was there testimony in the Libby trial about how Rice made Tenet fall on his sword and take the blame? Blame for what if it was so truthful?

Wilson's trip to Niger was in February of 2002. He was debriefed by the CIA on March 5, 2002. Bush's state of the union speech was on Jan 28, 2003. Wilson's oped was on July 6th, 2003.

Wilson didn't come back and write opeds and a book. No one can reasonably make that claim. It was 16 months from the time he came back before he wrote that oped. He wrote the oped in response to what he felt were misrepresentations by the WH. He didn't write a book until after his wife was outed as a CIA agent. His book deal was in Oct of 2003.

If Bush hadn't included those 16 words in his speech we never would have heard of Joe Wilson. He would have had no reason to write an oped. The NYTimes would have had no reason to publish it.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:18 am
Okie, what if you were in Wilson's shoes and found that your president, ignoring your report, was lying us into a war? Wouldn't you, at the least, write an op ed piece about it?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:24 pm
First of all, if I was in Wilson's shoes, I would hopefully have enough sense to know the CIA should have more data than I could give them by going to have tea with some government officials in Niger. I would hopefully have enough sense to know it is the CIA's business, not mine. I would also hopefully not be so arrogant as to believe I am the one that has all knowledge, or any authority, or have any legitimate government position or title that warrants George Bush should listen to me.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:37 pm
Okie, you write as though it is not important that Bush lied us into a war. There is nothing, I think, more monumental than going to war. Bush used yellowcake in his argument for invading. I don't see how Wilson, who acted as a CIA agent, could have done less.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 04:33 pm
As I understand things,Wilson debunked the theory that Iraq bought yellowcake from Niger,correct?

Now,the President claimed in his speech that the Iraqi's ATTEMPTED to buy it,not that they actually bought it.

Here are the 16 words..."The British Government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.

Now,that does NOT say that they actually did buy it,only that they wanted to.

How was that a lie?
How did he lie when he said that?

http://www.factcheck.org/article222.html

If you take those 16 words at face value,then he didnt lie.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 06:38 pm
Advocate wrote:
Okie, you write as though it is not important that Bush lied us into a war. There is nothing, I think, more monumental than going to war. Bush used yellowcake in his argument for invading. I don't see how Wilson, who acted as a CIA agent, could have done less.

All of this goes back to Democrats trying to pin it all on Bush. "Bush lied us into war." How come Congress voted for the authorization to go to war with the same CIA intelligence that Bush had? Even Hillary said she personally went and talked to experts, besides listening to Bush, to make sure she got the correct information straight from the people that had the information instead of believing Bush. And she voted for the authorization based on what she found out, because the experts told her the same thing the administration said.

It all boils down to one stark reality, too many politicians refuse to take any responsibility for their own votes in Congress. After all, Bill Clinton was saying the same thing about the intelligence before Bush even arrived in Washington. The Democrats and the media have half the people believing their mantra, but not all of us do.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:25 pm
okie wrote:

All of this goes back to Democrats trying to pin it all on Bush. "Bush lied us into war." How come Congress voted for the authorization to go to war with the same CIA intelligence that Bush had? Even Hillary said she personally went and talked to experts, besides listening to Bush, to make sure she got the correct information straight from the people that had the information instead of believing Bush. And she voted for the authorization based on what she found out, because the experts told her the same thing the administration said.

It all boils down to one stark reality, too many politicians refuse to take any responsibility for their own votes in Congress. After all, Bill Clinton was saying the same thing about the intelligence before Bush even arrived in Washington. The Democrats and the media have half the people believing their mantra, but not all of us do.

Nice speech, my friend, but the widening crack in your vase of flowers is Scooter Libby's conviction. Remember? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:53 am
MM, Wilson, and two other US officials, reported that Iraq did not attempt to buy yellowcake. Despite knowing this, Bush indirectly lied by mentioning the Brits' belief. Bush also knew, before invasion, that certain tubes referred to by Powell were not being used in nuke production, that no WMDs were evident, Iraq had no involvement in 9/11, etc. This information was not given to congress, the UN, and the world. Look up the Downing Street Memo.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 11:06 am
mysteryman wrote:
As I understand things,Wilson debunked the theory that Iraq bought yellowcake from Niger,correct?

http://www.factcheck.org/article222.html

No.

~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reminding me to re-up my emails from factcheck, mm.

You're quite good at parsing, but not that good. Anyone going to factcheck and looking at all of the Plame/Wilson/yellowcake coverage will see what you've left out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 12:49 pm
Asherman wrote:
Lets get on with the problems facing the country, and let the dead bury the dead.

You sure have a twisted view of "the problems facing the country." The biggest problem currently facing our country is the insanely idiotic war in Iraq in which this administration involved us, when the nation had better things to do, and the narco-terrorists and al Qaeda in Afghanistan had not yet been eliminated. To get us involved, among other tactics, the admininstration used faulty intelligence, which they knew was faulty, and peddled a blatantly lie in the Shrub's SotU address in January, 2003. Wilson pointed that out publicly, so the scumbags, with Scumbag in Chief Cheney driving them on, sought revenge. Their revenge was to publicly reveal Valerie Plame's status with Central Intelligence, blowing her cover, and violating the law.

So, in addition to the problem of a stupid war, costing hundreds of billions of dollars, thousands of American lives, and more than a hundred thousand Iraqi lives, we also have the problem of an administration which lies to the people, and knowingly and willfully violates the law to attempt to cover their lies.

Beside which, lick-spittle conservative apologists pale into insignificance.

Shame on you, Asherman.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 12:52 pm
Don't forget about the damage done to the CIA as far as recruitment goes, Set. We have lost all credibility.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 12:55 pm
The National Security Agency and Central Intelligence are both badly compromised by this administration. What is more alarming, though, is to think what kind of people will readily seek employment there, now that decent people are likely to have second thoughts about such a career.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 01:03 pm
That was my point.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:32 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Don't forget about the damage done to the CIA as far as recruitment goes, Set. We have lost all credibility.

From what I have read,the CIA is one of the few govt agencies that is not having a problem with recruitment...

https://www.cia.gov/cia/public_affairs/press_release/2006/pr05122006.htm

https://www.cia.gov/cia/public_affairs/press_release/2006/pr09272006.htm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:46 pm
mysteryman wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

From what I have read,the CIA is one of the few govt agencies that is not having a problem with recruitment...

https://www.cia.gov/cia/public_affairs/press_release/2006/pr05122006.htm

https://www.cia.gov/cia/public_affairs/press_release/2006/pr09272006.htm

Gus and Set's point once again.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:37 pm
If Libby has such a bad memory, how did he become chief of staff to the vice president.

Regarding CIA recruits, with Bush in office, one has to wonder about their quality.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:37 pm
Couldn't be much worse than Plame or Wilson.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:23 pm
Okie, that is such a baseless, cheap shot. What evidence do you have that they are not top notch? I haven't seen a single supported criticism of their quality regarding performance.
0 Replies