blueflame1

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:24 am
Rush Limbaugh on the Libby verdict: Poking the Bear!
By: John Amato on Tuesday, March 6th, 2007 at 6:20 PM - PST
Limbaugh freaks out over the Libby verdict. It's hysterically funny and insane.

Download (4349) | Play (4491)

Arthur:

I paraphrase (pretty close to the original): "This is the best news for Republicans and conservatives there could be. All conservatives will now circle the wagons, after going dormant last fall for whatever reason. [Right, I simply cannot imagine what that reason might be.] The more the Democrats and liberals gloat, the better news it is for us. They are POKING THE BEAR! They'll be SORRY!!"…read on

Nicole: Is Rush intentionally referencing the infamous sex scene in Libby's book?

At age ten the madam put the child in a cage with a bear trained to couple with young girls so the girls would be frigid and not fall in love with their patrons. They fed her through the bars and aroused the bear with a stick when it seemed to lose interest.

Who exactly is the bear in this scenario, and are we to believe that liberals are the young girls? Holy cow, conservative psychosis runs deep.
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/03/06/rush-limbaugh-on-the-libby-verdict-poking-the-bear/
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:38 pm
Re: Libby Guilty
Asherman wrote:
Perhaps now we can put this episode behind us, but I doubt it. Some things just seem to go on forever. Governments, no matter what their philosophy or who leads them, always step in doo-doo. That's human beings for you, and the more centralized an organization is, the greater the opportunities.

At the beginning of the 21st century, we are still trying to figure out how to best balance government between Centralization and De-centralization. Either of those two extremes is a real disaster waiting to happen. The Constitution has served us well, it still serves us better than any alternative we know of. However, no one should ever think that perfection will ever be obtained, and human foibles and errors will continue until humans no longer run government organizations.

Asherman, I am curious what your opinion is on a question I have. Your opinions seem fairly balanced and fair on most things. This is something in regard to this case that hardly anyone is talking about.

How many times do you recall in history where a person employed by or contracted by the CIA, does work, and then not in an official capacity writes oped pieces to be published in the press about his work, attacking the administration? If I have this right, he had no official capacity in the chain of command in the CIA. He simply did the supposed work, reported it to superiors, and his job was done. Where in the manual does it say a person like that has permission to write openly about their work? He was not elected or appointed to anything, yet he took it upon himself to not only do the work, but also to interpret the work, without ever writing a written report even.

Must there be some kind of law or code pertaining to CIA work that would prohibit this kind of activity?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:53 pm
Re: Libby Guilty
okie wrote:
Asherman wrote:
Perhaps now we can put this episode behind us, but I doubt it. Some things just seem to go on forever. Governments, no matter what their philosophy or who leads them, always step in doo-doo. That's human beings for you, and the more centralized an organization is, the greater the opportunities.

At the beginning of the 21st century, we are still trying to figure out how to best balance government between Centralization and De-centralization. Either of those two extremes is a real disaster waiting to happen. The Constitution has served us well, it still serves us better than any alternative we know of. However, no one should ever think that perfection will ever be obtained, and human foibles and errors will continue until humans no longer run government organizations.

Asherman, I am curious what your opinion is on a question I have. Your opinions seem fairly balanced and fair on most things. This is something in regard to this case that hardly anyone is talking about.

How many times do you recall in history where a person employed by or contracted by the CIA, does work, and then not in an official capacity writes oped pieces to be published in the press about his work, attacking the administration? If I have this right, he had no official capacity in the chain of command in the CIA. He simply did the supposed work, reported it to superiors, and his job was done. Where in the manual does it say a person like that has permission to write openly about their work? He was not elected or appointed to anything, yet he took it upon himself to not only do the work, but also to interpret the work, without ever writing a written report even.

Must there be some kind of law or code pertaining to CIA work that would prohibit this kind of activity?

Gosh, how dare a private citizen of the US talk about something he did in public! We'd better get right on the whole 'shutting people up' issue.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:54 pm
Okie said;
"Asherman, I am curious what your opinion is on a question I have. Your opinions seem fairly balanced and fair on most things."

Obviously Okie can't read under the shallow.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 06:07 pm
okie, "Must there be some kind of law or code pertaining to CIA work that would prohibit this kind of activity?" There is this, "Under US law, it is a serious crime to reveal the identity of a covert US intelligence official, carrying a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and $50,000 in fines."
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 06:37 pm
How many times do you recall in history where a person employed by or contracted by the CIA, does work, and then not in an official capacity writes oped pieces to be published in the press about his work, attacking the administration?

The CIA was formed at the beginning of the Cold War to conduct foreign intelligence and to centralize collected intelligence from the various intelligence agencies of the U.S. government. The basic division of labor was that the FBI handle domestic intelligence, the military intelligence services would concentrate on military matters, NSA collects and analyizes SATINT and ELENT signals, and the CIA was to handle all foreign intelligence. BTW each of these elements have separate Intelligence and Counter-Intelligence arms.

There have been several former employees of both the CIA and NSA who later published revealing material about those agencies. Some of those hanging Agency and Classified Intelligence operations out in public enjoyed a moment of fame/infamy. The Pentagon Papers and the Puzzle Palace are two relatively well-known examples. Some Intelligence Officers have gone public to denounce Company policies and procedures. A number of outstanding field agents were very vocal against closing down HUMINT networks, thereby increasing our reliance upon ELENT and SATINT products. The Carter and Clinton Administrations may have been the least supportive of aggressive US Intelligence operations, but the trend away from HUMINT is evident in every administration since LBJ.

Moles are a different story, and we've been plagued by them since WWII. US agents are "turned" by a foreign government, and reveal classified information detrimental to the country. Some of the moles become well known after their cover is blown. Most moles have been severely dealt with.

If I have this right, he had no official capacity in the chain of command in the CIA. He simply did the supposed work, reported it to superiors, and his job was done. Where in the manual does it say a person like that has permission to write openly about their work? He was not elected or appointed to anything, yet he took it upon himself to not only do the work, but also to interpret the work, without ever writing a written report even.

Who is "he"? Intelligence officers are supposed to clear with their agency anything they later write that even remotely deals with intelligence. There isn't anything I can add without knowing what case you're referring to.

Perhaps some of those DEEP thinking leftists and Anarchists can help.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:26 pm
Asherman wrote:
How many times do you recall in history where a person employed by or contracted by the CIA, does work, and then not in an official capacity writes oped pieces to be published in the press about his work, attacking the administration?

The CIA was formed at the beginning of the Cold War to conduct foreign intelligence and to centralize collected intelligence from the various intelligence agencies of the U.S. government. The basic division of labor was that the FBI handle domestic intelligence, the military intelligence services would concentrate on military matters, NSA collects and analyizes SATINT and ELENT signals, and the CIA was to handle all foreign intelligence. BTW each of these elements have separate Intelligence and Counter-Intelligence arms.

There have been several former employees of both the CIA and NSA who later published revealing material about those agencies. Some of those hanging Agency and Classified Intelligence operations out in public enjoyed a moment of fame/infamy. The Pentagon Papers and the Puzzle Palace are two relatively well-known examples. Some Intelligence Officers have gone public to denounce Company policies and procedures. A number of outstanding field agents were very vocal against closing down HUMINT networks, thereby increasing our reliance upon ELENT and SATINT products. The Carter and Clinton Administrations may have been the least supportive of aggressive US Intelligence operations, but the trend away from HUMINT is evident in every administration since LBJ.

Moles are a different story, and we've been plagued by them since WWII. US agents are "turned" by a foreign government, and reveal classified information detrimental to the country. Some of the moles become well known after their cover is blown. Most moles have been severely dealt with.

If I have this right, he had no official capacity in the chain of command in the CIA. He simply did the supposed work, reported it to superiors, and his job was done. Where in the manual does it say a person like that has permission to write openly about their work? He was not elected or appointed to anything, yet he took it upon himself to not only do the work, but also to interpret the work, without ever writing a written report even.
Perhaps you missed this Ash but Libby was conviceted of Perjury(telling lies))

Who is "he"? Intelligence officers are supposed to clear with their agency anything they later write that even remotely deals with intelligence. There isn't anything I can add without knowing what case you're referring to.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:30 pm
Asherman said
Quote:

I really like the Okie obersavation of "non-biased" does anyone really buy this crap? Ash is one of the most etreme bias posters on a2k.
In summary, the Noble 8-fold Path is being moral (through what we say, do and our livelihood), focussing the mind on being fully aware of our thoughts and actions, and developing wisdom by understanding the Four Noble Truths and by developing compassion for others.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:25 pm
Wilson received no compensation, he was doing this nation a favor by traveling to Niger. Nobody would go there on a whim. Niger is the arm-pit of the arm-pit of Africa. He was a loyal American who faced down Saddam Hussein in 1991, and whose government asked him to use his personal contacts to see if allegations of sales of uranium by their government to Iraq were true. He found no such thing, nor did the US ambassador to Niger nor did a three star Marine general sent there as well.

But more on point to yet another incredibly vacuous question

okie wrote:

Wilson was not employed, nor took any compensation from the US government for his trip to Niger, only his expenses were paid. He went because he knew people from his past employment with the State Dept. No one prevented him from publishing his work which had come out earlier in the New York Times in editorial columns by Nicholas Kristol over three months before Wilson wrote his op-ed in June of 2003.

Just take a step back and examine it not as the blatant partisan hack you appear to be but as a conscious thinking person, Wilson wote that he found that there was no deal by the Nigerian government to sell uranium to Iraq.

He did not travel there in secret, he met the US ambassador and Nigerian government officials openly and not clandestinely, so what has you all worked up?

So tell us what was the big secret he revealed in his op-ed article?

The secret he revealed was that Bush and Cheney had lied about this.

An approximate narrative would be that a cattle baron (the Bush administration, through the CIA) asked a legendary cowboy (Joe Wilson) to check his herd for disease, and he reported back that they had hoof and mouth disease, yet the cattle baron went out and sold that diseased herd to meat packers all over the country, and that once he found that out, the cowboy wrote in the press that he had checked on that particular herd and had spotted diseased cattle in it. Your pissed off because a guy told the truth and are attempting to twist reality because you can't believe how stupid you were to believe George Bush and Dick Cheney, that's it. You have what is called cognitive dissonance, its when your imaginary ideas of reality gets smacked across the teeth by a 2X4 of the facts and you are emotionally unable to accept it. The shock to your system makes you believe that it is others who have ulterior motives.

Its not that I fear such blatant stupidity, I could care less about that. It is however a trait that can be exploited by the darker angels of humanity and can cause all sorts of evil and nasty $hit such a group of gullible no-minds can do in enough numbers; whether its crazy ragheaded Taliban or young Red Chinese Guard fanatics or even boisterous Brown-Shirted Nazis, No particular ideology is the problem, its merely a symptom. The disease is the dull-witted tabla rasa of humanity which can have imprinted upon it all the bad craziness that mankind can create.

That is why I consider such stupidity a danger to the entire human race, let alone America.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 10:17 pm
Asherman wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Joseph Wilson is the "he."

Heck, even domestic corporations demand you sign agreements whereby you do not divulge sensitive information that you obtain while working for them. At least they used to. Professionals sign agreements not to utilize data that was obtained while they oversee and manage projects, because the data was obtained by funds paid for by the company. Oil exploration projects come to mind, and companies are very competitive against each other in seeking to maintain advantage in hot areas.

Kubasz reminds us Wilson was not even being paid by the CIA to take his little trip to Niger. This aspect of what he did is not mentioned often, but I ask again, how come he was picked to go down there then? What business was it of his? And whether he was paid or not by the CIA, he was on official business FOR the CIA, so I don't see how he can consider what he did his intellectual property. An ethical agent does the work, submits a report to his superiors, and to the congressional committee if asked, then he shuts up. Did he even ask for permission to publish his findings publicly? This whole affair is haywire from the very beginning. Many of the above facts cause me to believe this was a setup from the very beginning. Not being an employee of the CIA, not being paid, all of that, allowed Wilson to believe he could come back and start his vendetta. I think he had it planned before he even went. We know he found nothing new while he was down there in Niger, yet he claimed he did. This whole thing smells from the very start.

I understand Valerie Plame has requested to publish a book, but it is being held up, or parts of it are being withheld. So, obviously if not stopped by the CIA, she intended to publish information that is classified. She does not fit the mold of someone particularly interested in protecting classified information. And now, Plame and Wilson have sold their story to have a movie. Again, these are not people that value classified information. They love the limelight, and I do not think it is for upstanding reasons.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 11:23 pm
I'm sorry, I assumed you were referring to someone from within the community speaking out of turn. I don't see that Ambassador Wilson did anything he shouldn't have. He went and looked into a report, but found nothing to support it. He presumably passed that information along, and went his merry way. There was no reason why he should not have made his feelings public, though I'm sure that some in the administration didn't like it. Oh well....

Somehow, Wilson's wife was identified as a CIA agent and that got published. It appears that her association with the CIA was widely known, at least privately. Apparently a number of Washington journalists knew she was connected to the CIA, but didn't go public with that knowledge. I don't think that anyone in this administration purposefully "outed" the woman for spite. Appearances though are important, and in the resulting tempest (largely resulting from the more radical Democrats) a Special Prosecutor got named who needed to show that he was earning his keep. I think when it became apparent that no successful prosecution for breaking a CIA cover was possible, they needed something to show for their efforts. Libby drew the short straw, and I think he's handled the injustice of the situation admirably. I doubt he will get a Presidential pardon before the next Presidential election, but trust he'll be pardoned then.

Lets get on with the problems facing the country, and let the dead bury the dead.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 12:56 am
okie wrote:
Kubasz (sic, very sic) reminds us Wilson was not even being paid by the CIA to take his little trip to Niger. This aspect of what he did is not mentioned often, but I ask again, how come he was picked to go down there then?

Joe Wilson's credentials?

Not too bad, not to bad at all to travel for the cia to sub-saharn Africa checking on uranium sales by niger.

http://noquarter.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/02/gee_joe_wilson_.html

Quote:
Joe Wilson was Qualified
by Larry Johnson

Check out the latest from the Libby trial, courtesy of David Corn. Looks like Joe Wilson was well qualified to make the trip to Niger, at least that's Libby's line.

You remember all those conservative Bush-backers who derided former Ambassador Joseph Wilson and said he had been miserably unqualified to take a trip for the CIA to Niger to check out the allegation that Iraq had sought uranium there? Wilson's critics on the right pooh-poohed the trip and his abilities, claiming he had no expertise and no standing to be handed such a mission. Their aim was to undermine Wilson's stinging charge that the White House had twisted the prewar intelligence on Iraq. Well, let's turn to Scooter Libby on this.

http://www.davidcorn.com/archives/2007/02/libby_wilson_wa.php

Quote:
Libby: Wilson was Qualified, and the Veep Thought So, Too

Today, the prosecution in the Libby trial played audiotapes of Libby's March 24, 2004 grand jury appearance. During that session, special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald asked Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff if Libby believed that Wilson had been a reasonable choice for this mission to Niger. Libby said:

I thought he was fully qualified to do the mission...There was a suggestion in the [Bob] Novak column [of July 14, 2003] that his wife had been the one who suggested him to go....I didn't think he was unqualified to do the job....I thought he was qualified to do the mission.

And what about the veep? What did he think? Libby said:
I think the vice president thought he was qualified...For what he did, I would think the vice president thought he was qualified....At times he had suspicions [Wilson was selected because of his wife worked at CIA].
So if Libby and Cheney believed Wilson was qualified for the trip, will Wilson's detractors now concede this point? Or do they think that Libby was not telling the truth to a grand jury while under oath?

Posted by David Corn at February 7, 2007 10:35 AM

the following site has a multi-section Treasongate series with hundreds of linked sources, th following section is tge one that debunks the gorilla dust thrown up by the staunch Busheviks about the niger uranium purchaseds cliamed by Bush/Cheney

http://www.theleftcoaster.com/archives/004870.php

Treasongate (Part VI): Response to GOP/Neocon talking points on the Valerie Plame expose

Quote:
INTRODUCTION: The Bush White House, the GOP and their extended arms in the media have issued misleading and false talking points (example) to discredit Joseph Wilson, rather than take responsibility for illegally outing the covert identity of Wilson's CIA wife Valerie Plame Wilson - an act orchestrated and executed by senior Bush administration officials. This page provides a systematic rebuttal to the deceptive or fraudulent talking points on this topic, put out by conservative media, bloggers, GOP partisans and operatives of the Bush administration. I have relied here on my own work as well as on that of various reporters and bloggers. In a nutshell this issue is about one thing and one thing alone. The Bush administration, embarrassed by revelations that they misled and lied to Americans about the reasons to go to war with Iraq (especially on the uranium in Africa issue), exacted revenge on whistleblower Joseph Wilson by needlessly exposing his wife (and setting their dogs loose on her) and jeopardizing America's national security in the process.

Owing to the large amount of disinformation in circulation, I decided to break-down the debunking into the following sections.
I. VALERIE PLAME AND HER IDENTITY
II. JOSEPH WILSON'S TRIP TO NIGER, AND HIS SUBSEQUENT CLAIMS
III. KARL ROVE
IV. LEWIS LIBBY
V. BUSH ADMINISTRATION (outside of Rove and Libby)
VI. THE CRIME AND THE INVESTIGATION
VII. OTHER

Was Wilson "credentially challenged" for the Niger mission?
No.

Was he "an expert either on nuclear weapons nor on Niger."

Yes

Wilson had the following diplomatic credentials:

Quote:
Wilson served as Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for African Affairs at the National Security Council from June 1997 until July 1998. In that capacity he was responsible for the coordination of U.S. policy to the 48 countries of sub-Saharan Africa, He was one of the principal architecs of President Clinton's historic trip to Africa in March 1998.

Ambassador Wilson was the Political Advisor to the Commander-in-Chief of United States Armed Forces, Europe, 1995-1997. He served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Gabonese Republic and to the Democratic Republic of Sao Tome and Principe from 1992 to 1995. From 1998 to 1991, Ambassador Wilson served in Baghdad, Iraq as Deputy Chief of Mission at the U.S. Embassy. During ''Desert Shield'' he was the acting Ambassador and was responsible for the negotiations that resulted in the release of several hundred American hostages. He was the last official American to meet with Saddam Hussein before the launching of ''Desert Storm.''
Ambassador Wilson was a member of the U.S. Diplomatic Service from 1976 until 1998. His early assignments included Niamey, Niger, 1976-1978; Lome, Togo, 1978-79; the State Department Brueau of African Affairs, 1979-1981; and Pretoria, South Africa, 1981-1982.

In 1982, he was appointed Deputy Chief of Mission in Bujumbura, Burundi. In 1985-1986, he served in the offices of Senator Albert Gore and the House Majority Whip, Representative Thomas Foley, as an American Political Science Association Congressional Fellow. He was Deputy Chief of Mission in Brazzaville, Congo, 1986-88, prior to his assignment to Baghdad.

http://www.cpsag.com/our_team/wilson.html

as well he had past experience investigating sales of Nigerois uranium in 1999, and he specialized in Africa for the majority of his diplomatic career, having served in Niger, Togo, Burundi, and South Africa, and as ambassador to the Gabonese Republic and to the Democratic Republic of Sao Tome and Principe.

Fluent in French, the diplomatic language of ex-French colonial nations in sub-Saharan Africa.

http://thenexthurrah.typepad.com/the_next_hurrah/2005/11/the_cia_report_.html

The CIA Report on Joe Wilson's Trip

Quote:
Here's how Wilson described his meeting with former Prime Minister Mayaki:

"He had mentioned to me that on the margins of a ministerial meeting of the Organization of African Unity (OAU) in 1999, a Nigerien businessman had asked him to meet with an Iraqi official to discuss trade. My contact said the alarm bells had immediately gone off in his mind. Well aware of the United Nations sanctions on Iraq, he met with the Iraqi only briefly and avoided any substantive issues. As he told me this, he hesitated and looked up the sky as if plumbing the depths of his memory, then offered that perhaps the Iraqi might have wanted to talk about uranium. But since there had been no discussion of uranium--my contact was idly speculating when he mentioned it--there was no story. I spoke with this Nigerien friend again in January 2004, and he recollected our conversation in 2002. He told me that while he was watching coverage of press conferences in Baghdad prior to the second Gulf War, he recognized the Iraqi information minister, Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, known to Americans as "Baghdad Bob," as the person whom he had met in Algiers."(28)

And here is Wilson's description of what he said about his trip and this meeting in his debriefing session.

Within an hour of my return to Washington in early March 2002, a CIA reports officer, at my request, arrived at my home. Over Chinese takeout, I gave him the same details of my trip and conclusions that I had provided to Owens-Kirkpatrick in Niamey before my departure. These included the account of the meeting between my Nigerien contact and the Iraqi official on the margins of the OAU meeting, as well as my observations about where our government might inquire further if it was not persuaded by my report or those of the ambassador and the general whose inquiries had preceded mine. (29)

SSCI Report
Now compare that to what appears in the SSCI Report, including the direct citations from the CIA report itself. The CIA report did not name Wilson or identify him as a former ambassador (which is one of the pieces of evidence that suggests it was in the documents sent to Libby on June 9). Rather, it described him as a "contact with excellent access who does not have an established reporting record."

The report described Wilson's conversation with former Minister for Energy and Mines Mai Manga, who explained:

He knew of no contracts signed between Niger and any rogue states for the sale of uranium. He said that an Iranian delegation was interested in purchasing 400 tons of yellowcake from Niger in 1998, but said that no contract was ever signed with Iran.(44)

In addition, the CIA report described Wilson's conversation with former Prime Minister Ibrahim Mayaki who explained that he knew of no contracts signed between Niger and any rogue states between 1996 and 1999, when he had been in a position to know. Mayaki went on to explain the famous meeting with an Iraqi delegation:

Mayaki said, however, that in June 1999, [redacted] businessman, approached him and insisted that Mayaki meet with an Iraqi delegation to discussion "expanding commercial relations" between Niger and Iraq. The intelligence report said that Mayaki interpreted "expanding commercial relations" to mean that the delegation wanted to discuss uranium yellowcake sales. The intelligence report also said that "although the meeting took place, Mayaki let the matter drop due to the UN sanctions on Iraq." (43)

The SSCI report provides more detail on the CIA report when discussing differences between Wilson's version of what he reported and the CIA report. The CIA report included details of the uranium industry in Niger and noted that it would be almost impossible to sell uranium to rogue states, but did not refute the possibility that Iraq had approached Niger to purchase uranium.(44)

And here's the part that stunned me, when I first realized what it said:

In fact, the intelligence report made no mention of the alleged Iraq-Niger uranium deal or signatures that should have appeared on any documentation of such a deal. The only mention of Iraq in the report pertained to the meeting between the Iraqi delegation and former Prime Minister Mayaki. (44)

As I said when I first wrote about this, this suggests the CIA report completely obscured the reason behind Wilson's trip, which was to respond specifically to a piece of intelligence alleging an Iraqi-Nigerien uranium deal.

Joe Wilson's SSCI Interview

The SSCI staff asked Wilson for more details about his report. He provided important details that apparently weren't in the CIA report.

The former ambassador said that Mayaki did meet with the Iraqi delegation but never discussed what was meant by "expanding commercial relations." The former ambassador said that because Mayaki was wary of discussing any trade issues with a country under United Nations (UN) sanctions, he made a successful effort to steer the conversation away from a discussion of trade with the Iraqi delegation. (44)
In other words, Wilson specifies that Mayaki was only speculating when he said the expanding trade referred to Iraq. And that Mayaki ended the meeting before the Iraqis could make such a detail more clear.

Wilson's version of his report differed from the CIA report in a few more important ways.

First, the former ambassador described his findings to Committee staff as more directly related to Iraq and, specifically, as refuting both the possibility that Niger could have sold uranium to Iraq and that Iraq approached Niger to purchase uranium.

[snip]
Second, the former ambassador said that he discussed with his CIA contacts which names and signatures should have appeared on any documentation of a legitimate uranium transaction. In fact, the intelligence report made no mention of the alleged Iraq-Niger uranium deal or signatures that should have appeared on any documentation of such a deal.

[snip]
Third, the former ambassador noted that his CIA contacts told him there were documents pertaining to the alleged Iraq-Niger uranium transaction and that the source of the information was the [redacted] intelligence service. (44)

So already, we can see some sources for the major problems that would come later.

• Wilson understood his trip to be an investigation of a specific piece of intelligence alleging an Iraq-Niger uranium deal; the reports officer reported it as a general trip about uranium trades with rogue nations.
• Wilson claims to have provided the information the CIA needed to assess the uranium deal allegations; the reports officer recorded no such thing.
There's one piece of information that may or may not have appeared in the CIA report, which caused some problems later on.
• Wilson knew the meeting between Mayaki and Baghdad Bob took place in Algiers, not in Niger. From what we know of the CIA report, it's not clear whether that detail was included.
But we know the CIA report did include a detail that Ari Fleischer seems to have willfully obscured later.
• The CIA report makes it clear that Mayaki, not Wilson, met with Baghdad Bob. But Ari seems to have intentionally confused that issue when he started using tidbits from this report.
I'll look at what Tenet and Ari made of this report in just a bit. But first, I'd like to consider a few of the reasons behind these discrepancies.

Read the rest yourself.

Wilson and his wife got screwed.

The end.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:23 am
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:31 am
Asherman wrote:
I'm sorry, I assumed you were referring to someone from within the community speaking out of turn. I don't see that Ambassador Wilson did anything he shouldn't have. He went and looked into a report, but found nothing to support it. He presumably passed that information along, and went his merry way. There was no reason why he should not have made his feelings public, though I'm sure that some in the administration didn't like it. Oh well....

Somehow, Wilson's wife was identified as a CIA agent and that got published. It appears that her association with the CIA was widely known, at least privately. Apparently a number of Washington journalists knew she was connected to the CIA, but didn't go public with that knowledge. I don't think that anyone in this administration purposefully "outed" the woman for spite. Appearances though are important, and in the resulting tempest (largely resulting from the more radical Democrats) a Special Prosecutor got named who needed to show that he was earning his keep. I think when it became apparent that no successful prosecution for breaking a CIA cover was possible, they needed something to show for their efforts. Libby drew the short straw, and I think he's handled the injustice of the situation admirably. I doubt he will get a Presidential pardon before the next Presidential election, but trust he'll be pardoned then.

Lets get on with the problems facing the country, and let the dead bury the dead.

Well, you are trying to be very fair minded in this, and I commend you for the efforts, Asherman.

We now have turf battles going on in and by the bureaucracies, over power, and if leftists cannot win at the ballot box, they are engaged in any other means to gain the upper hand in government. It is no secret that the judicial system is a huge avenue for them to institute their policies. Another is the many bureaucracies embedded in Washington. The public in fly over country is not keenly aware of the control exerted over elected officials by bureaucracies. Anyone that loves bureaucracies and the status quo, which includes most Democrats, find the Washington environment much more comfortable than many Republicans.

From the time that the Bush administration took office, every angle has been attempted to undermine it, both by many in bureaucracy and by the liberal press. The CIA's credibility was suffering, and I think the Wilson - Plame affair was a setup - gotcha game that was being played against the administration.

I am for freedom of speech, but obviously that does not include any yayhoo that ever did any work for the CIA running around shooting their mouth off about everything they did. There are agreements they sign when they work for the CIA, that should not allow this type of thing to happen. I am not the only person out here very ticked off about such people, and we may not have the numbers, but rest assured not everybody in this country is fooled by the Wilsons. I would probably not classify it as treason, but if old Abe Lincoln was still around, Mr. Joseph Wilson would probably be sitting in jail for sedition. Wilson could then have all the time he needed to plan all the movies he wanted, and who he wants to play his character.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:40 am
'Tis truly astonishing just how simplistic the conservative mind frame can be.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:46 am
JTT wrote:
'Tis truly astonishing just how simplistic the conservative mind frame can be.
No, no it isn't.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:58 am
The simplistic nature of the conservative mind never ceases to amaze me. Moreover, their stunning hypocrisy on virtually all matters is hard to comprehend. For instance, they pointed to support the rule of law in their persecution of Clinton for lying about a sexual indiscretion. But they seek a pardon for a man who perjured himself in an investigation of a matter involving treason.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:04 am
actually I favor a pardon even thought I am a retarded liberal.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:12 am
Another bit of astonishing fact behind this fiasco, apparently Wilson was not required to sign a confidentiality agreement. The CIA's stock is fairly low, but are these people idiots, or what?

This makes for interesting reading. Leftists, don't bother, because your minds are already made up.

http://themiddleground.blogspot.com/2005/11/cia-incompetent-or-rogue.html
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:18 am
Advocate wrote:
The simplistic nature of the conservative mind never ceases to amaze me. Moreover, their stunning hypocrisy on virtually all matters is hard to comprehend. For instance, they pointed to support the rule of law in their persecution of Clinton for lying about a sexual indiscretion. But they seek a pardon for a man who perjured himself in an investigation of a matter involving treason.

Maybe you are speaking of someone else, but I have never advocated pardoning Libby. The law, the court has spoken, however convoluted it was. Even murderers are allowed appeals, so I would hope even you would at least grant Libby that privilege. By the way, among other things, didn't Clinton get Lewinsky to swear to false statements as well? Libby was too honest, probably, and if he had just said, "I can't recall" to everything, which the Clintons refined into an art, he would probably not have a thing to worry about today.
0 Replies