How long will christians take this???

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 05:30 pm
Ah yes, Christian love . . .

The Albigensians, feel the love.

The Defenestrations in Prague, feel the love.

The Fort Caroline Massacre, feel the love.

The Salem Witchcraft trials, feel the love.

Srebrenica in Bosnia, feel the love.

My, my, yes indeed--nothin' but love from those christian boys and girls.
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:19 pm
To assume that everyone who calls themself "Christian" is a Christian is ridiculous. There is a very large group of people who are nominal Christians. I would suggest that you read Christianity on Trail by Vincent Caroll.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 06:23 pm
"Christian" doesn't necessarily mean anything at all, just because someone calls themselves that.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:11 pm
Run 4 fun wrote:
To assume that everyone who calls themself "Christian" is a Christian is ridiculous. There is a very large group of people who are nominal Christians. I would suggest that you read Christianity on Trail by Vincent Caroll.

Who are YOU to judge them?

If someone say's they are a Christian, they ARE a Christian.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:13 pm
maporsche wrote:
Run 4 fun wrote:

Who are YOU to judge them?

If someone say's they are a Christian, they ARE a Christian.

And if you truly believe this, then I would begin challenging all of those out there who talk about America being a Christian Nation and quite frequently quote numbers as high as 90%.

What % of self-proclaimed Christians would you consider 'actual' Christians?
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:22 pm
Oh, C'mon! America!? A Christian Nation?! Absolutely not! I challenge people who say that all of the time.

I do not know them in a percent. You will know Christians by their works (as Jesus and then James said), and as the leaders of Roman soldiers who collected Christians to be slaughtered said, "You will know them by their love."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:45 pm
Run 4 fun wrote:
Oh, C'mon! America!? A Christian Nation?! Absolutely not! I challenge people who say that all of the time.

I do not know them in a percent. You will know Christians by their works (as Jesus and then James said), and as the leaders of Roman soldiers who collected Christians to be slaughtered said, "You will know them by their love."
You might as well get the source right. It was Jesus who said his disciples would be known by their love. (John 13:35) Sort of makes you wonder if there is any group who meets those qualifications.
0 Replies

Cobbler

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:48 pm
neologist wrote:
Sort of makes you wonder if there is any group who meets those qualifications.

Buddhists? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:30 am
Trying to stand in judgements of "groups" seems ludicrous to me, on the face of it. I have to take people one at a time, regardless of what labels they claim.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:37 pm
Problems arise when individuals form groups[/u].
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 06:53 pm
The fact that the guys collecting Christians to slaughter said it is, I think, more hard hitting.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 12:20 pm
Run 4 fun wrote:
To assume that everyone who calls themself "Christian" is a Christian is ridiculous. There is a very large group of people who are nominal Christians.

snood wrote:
"Christian" doesn't necessarily mean anything at all, just because someone calls themselves that.

Yes, a favorite theme of christian apologetics, or any religious apologetics, is to deny that people who do "bad" things are really religious. It's a pathetic and transparent attempt to excuse the core of hatefulness at the heart of all organized religion. Christianity has as a core assumption that the faithful will go to heaven, and all others will burn in Hell for eternity--which is about as hateful a concept as you can come up with.

Stop trying to blow smoke up people's asses.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 02:39 pm
Is that what bothers you most about Christians? that they (some that you know) think they have the inside track on "going to heaven"?

You probably won't believe it, but I have that same conflict (about individuals thinking they have the rules of exclusivity to "heaven") with my very own sister. She thinks she belongs to a select few.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 02:44 pm
Run 4 fun wrote:

Matthew 7: 16 (NIV) ~ By their fruit you will recognize them. (NIV)

Fruit of the spirit is not works. Galatians 5:22-23 ~ But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 02:47 pm
Setanta wrote:
Quote:
....Christianity has as a core assumption that the faithful will go to heaven, and all others will burn in Hell for eternity--which is about as hateful a concept as you can come up with.

Stop trying to blow smoke up people's asses.

No offense meant Setanta, but that is what the Bible says. If you have a problem with it, I suggest you take it up with God and ask Him to show you the truth about it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 02:48 pm
snood wrote:
Is that what bothers you most about Christians? that they (some that you know) think they have the inside track on "going to heaven"?

You probably won't believe it, but I have that same conflict (about individuals thinking they have the rules of exclusivity to "heaven") with my very own sister. She thinks she belongs to a select few.

That is meaningless--the point with which i am dealing is that the religious will attempt to explain away religiously motivated cruelty by claiming that those who practice religiously-cruelty are not "true" believers, all the while ignoring that the core assumption of any organized religion is that the faithful are privileged and deserving, and the infidels are cursed and will be damned.

No, "going to heaven" doesn't bother me, because i have no good reason that such a thing will ever take place. Either you're a good stupider than you have always seemed to be, or you have been too willingly obtuse to have extracted the point i was making.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 02:49 pm
snood wrote:

Just curious Snood, and you don't have to answer but is your sister a Calvinist? Does she believe in predestination?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 03:00 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Run 4 fun wrote:

Matthew 7: 16 (NIV) ~ By their fruit you will recognize them. (NIV)

Fruit of the spirit is not works. Galatians 5:22-23 ~ But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

James 2:24-26
Quote:
You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone. In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 03:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
snood wrote:

That is meaningless--the point with which i am dealing is that the religious will attempt to explain away religiously motivated cruelty by claiming that those who practice religiously-cruelty are not "true" believers, all the while ignoring that the core assumption of any organized religion is that the faithful are privileged and deserving, and the infidels are cursed and will be damned.

No, "going to heaven" doesn't bother me, because i have no good reason that such a thing will ever take place. Either you're a good stupider than you have always seemed to be, or you have been too willingly obtuse to have extracted the point i was making.

Yeah, we're missing each other, I think. And some of its purposeful. All christians ain't back-stabbing and evil, anymore than anyone else.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 03:24 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
snood wrote:

Just curious Snood, and you don't have to answer but is your sister a Calvinist? Does she believe in predestination?

She belongs to a Church of Christ, but there's some distinction (she's tried to explain it to me before, but I really wasn't listening) her church makes between itself and other Churches of Christ.
0 Replies