How long will christians take this???

kate4christ03

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 03:22 pm
Quote:
Since God was OK with David having 700 wives (not to mention 300 concubines) and many other OT characters had multiple wives, I don't know how anyone can claim that there is Biblical support for the notion that God intended marriage to be between 1 man and 1 woman.

it was solomon with the thousand wives and concubines. david did have multiple wives but not that many. But the bible does specifically state that kings are not to marry multiple women(deut 17:14-20). Only a few men in the old testament were polygamists and we see in every case that because of their sin, they had to pay the consequences. And as for support on marriage being between one man and woman, i gave verses in genesis a few posts back.

Quote:
Arella Mae, you claim that the Word of God does not change, but it most certainly did from the OT to the NT. God had a covenant with the Israelites which imposed very strict dietary and conduct Laws and required transgressors to be stoned to death for certain infractions. Although Jesus said that he was not here to change the Law, Paul decided that the Law no longer applied, and many Christians inexplicably celebrate Easter by eating ham, even though God said that eating pork is an abomination.

we actually discussed this topic several pages back. Here is one of my posts on this :
Quote:
Jesus said he didnt come to destroy the law but to fulfill it..(matt 5:17)
and he did, so we dont have to...(john 8)
Paul didnt change anything. He was writing what was given to him by God and was acknowledged by the other apostles...(2peter 3:15-16)
The law was given under the first covenant...
in jeremiah (31)and zecheriah (8),God told of a time he would make a new covenant.
The new covenant was ushered in after Christ became the sacrificial lamb for the sins of the world...(john 1:29)
In this covenant we arent under the law anymore but under grace(hebrews)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 03:37 pm
mesquite wrote:
Mind closed tighter than a clamshell when the tide is out.

So Arella, this was all bullshit then??

Look, to be quite honest with you Mesquite, I don't care much for you anymore. We used to have decent conversations and you were at least civil and now you are cussing.

Yes, I questioned some of the things on my faith. I sure did. And I did come to a deeper understanding of how homosexuals must feel and how terribly they can be hurt by others. And THAT is the part that I have had a change of heart and mind about. NOT ABOUT THE FACT THAT IT'S WRONG IN GOD'S EYES! (Caps for emphasis so you just might get a clue.)

Geesh, get a life, would you? What has happened to you? You just can't seem to wait to dig up something on someone (especially believers) to make some point; even to the point of making comments about Timber when I had no clue! Does it make you feel good to do that to people?

Now, I don't like to argue with anyone. Period. But I'm really sick of you doing this. I can't help it if this is a really sore subject for you. I am sorry if it is. If it is, then I suggest you stay way from the subject altogether.

Arella Mae wrote:
Wolfie, J_B, flushd,

Wolfie, thanx so much for telling me that. I am so sorry you had any pain caused by anyone because of who you are. And, I am sorry that my mindset and attitude through life has been part of that. Maybe not to you directly, but it's been there.

I have looked at quite a bit throughout this thread and a couple of other things that have shown me some things about myself that I needed to see.

I didn't think I was hurting anyone by the way I felt about this issue. I was completely wrong about that. COMPLETELY WRONG! I cannot apologize enough for my actions.

I can; however, make sure that I don't repeat them. Thank everyone so much for going through this with me and helping me to discover these things.

I was a homophobic bigot. I WAS a homophobic bigot. I am not one now.

Sozobe, thank YOU especially for starting this thread and taking the time to go through this with me. You're a very special person.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1913982#1913982

Arella Mae wrote:
CI,

You are a gentleman. Hi, I'm Momma Angel and I'm glad to meet you.

Mesquite,

Now, I owe you an apology also. This has not been an easy thing for me to do. But, it is definitely something I have found very necessary. I can now see how my attitude and actions deeply offended and most likely hurt you, Mesquite. I wish I could go back and change it, but I can't. Please forgive me for being such a close-minded fool in regard to this issue and others. I hope that you can forgive me and we can go back to that bantering back and forth with a bit of humor and a good dose of reality (usually from you, that is)?
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1914089#1914089

mesquite wrote:
No apologies needed MA. It is not what you have said in the past , but what you say in the future that matters.

Concerning the perceived conflict with your religious views, many other devoutly religious people have found a way to reconcile this issue and I sincerely hope that you will be able to also.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1915111#1915111

Arella Mae wrote:
Thank you, Mesquite. I am hoping to reconcile these issues. I think I'm on the right track. :wink:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1915147#1915147[/quote]

Good grief! Someone apologizes and you even throw that in their face? I feel so sorry for you that you feel the need to do this to anyone.

I HAVE NEVER AND I WILL NEVER EVER SAY THAT HOMOSEXUALITY IS OKAY! GOD SAID IT IS NOT AND GOD DOES NOT LIE. You don't like it? Take it up with Him! And yes, that time, I'm yelling. I pray you heard it from here in Louisiana.

I do not treat homosexuals or pink people or purple people any differently than I do anyone else. But if you ask me what I think about it, I'm not lying. PERIOD.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2007 10:51 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Mind closed tighter than a clamshell when the tide is out.

So Arella, this was all bullshit then??

Look, to be quite honest with you Mesquite, I don't care much for you anymore. We used to have decent conversations and you were at least civil and now you are cussing.
[/color]

Would cow dung be more appropriate to your sensibilities then? It is widely used in scripture.

Mal 2:3 Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, [even] the dung of your solemn feasts; and [one] shall take you away with it.

I replayed those posts in order to contrast where you were a year ago with where you are now. Back then you appeared to at least be looking for information. Your reply to maporche shows that you have reverted to the full blown close minded arrogant pios attitude that you had when you first joined A2K.
Arella Mae wrote:
maporsche wrote:
Did you even read the links that discuss the controversy or the interpretation.

No, I had no need to read them. If you think they need interpretation then fine, but I find it very clear as to what the Bible says about this issue.

Several members here saw through your charade, but I tended to give you the benefit of the doubt. Silly me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 12:01 am
Mesquite,

I wasn't going to respond to anymore posts on this but I think you deserve one more.

I used to really enjoy posting on A2K. I have learned a lot and had a lot of fun and there have been rough spots too. All are just a part of life.

But I am sick and tired of the dissention. I just find it sad that so many intelligent people must resort to using words they know will inflict wounds upon others. I find it cowardly and extremely childish.

Once a discussion has degraded to the point of slinging words around that others know will cause offense, there really is no discussion because then it just turns into a tit for tat. I've been involved in plenty of those on this forum and I, quite frankly, am sick of them.

It's hard enough for people to just get through a day in their lives sometimes without coming on a message board and get bashed for what they do or don't believe. So many of you are irate that anyone would say the Bible says homosexuality is wrong and you will point fingers and call them names, all the while are you not realizing you have just become what you are accusing someone else of doing? There's no difference. They think or believe differently than you so you think you have the right to condemn them with your words. The word hyposcrisy comes to mind.

I, in no way, am any better than any other person in this world. I do not go around thinking "oh my choice is better than your choice, etc." Good gravy! You (general) have no clue as to what Christianity is about if you think that's what Christians do.

Your choice for or against God is just that. Yours. But you should be allowed to make that choice without anyone bashing you or belittling you for it. You use words like crazy, deluded, imaginery friend, etc., and think it's perfectly fine. Hmm, but let us just tell you the Bible says something is wrong and you bare your fangs and dig in.

We all have the right to practice our religion or non-religion alike. I do not condemn you for yours nor do I think anything about your choice other than it is not the same choice I made. It is between you and God and that's it.

So, it would have been really nice having more discussions with some of you. That's one thing I did like about Timber. He never got into the mud slinging like some do. Timber had more courage, intelligence, and grit than most of you put together. Funny, I've been thinking a lot about him today. I learned a lot from him. More than I thought I had learned.

So, think of me what you will because it makes no difference in my life. But geesh, try being nice to people, no, not nice, just civil would be okay. So what if they don't believe the way you do! So! This world is made up of different people of all different races, colors, religions, etc.

God bless you all.
0 Replies

Extropy

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:14 am
Arella Mae wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Yes, christians hate sin, and take it out on "sinners". Gay people, for instance.

And I, for one, do not despise all that is good, although I have a strong dislike towards those who claim a monopoly on knowing what it is.

Perhaps it would be a bit fairer to say "some" Christians? We are to hate the sin, but love the sinner. If anyone is doing it differently than that, they are in error according to the Bible. I certainly do not claim to have a monopoly on knowing what sin is, however; God does and He tells us exactly what sin is in the Bible

If you do not support same-sex marriage for this mere reason, then it is enough to conclude that your belief is destructive. Not to support same-sex marriage is as destructive as not to support anti-discrimination in general, and is as destructive as not to support anti-racism.

Quote:
i am tired of this same old crap. people constantly look to christians for advice. but it seems almost anything you see today on television or read in magazines is either publicizing events that do not go along with christian beliefs. or they are bashing christians. like the t.v show family guy. it constantly shows Jesus and god in bars. in bed with woman. and shows them acting like thusgs. i ask how long will us christians take this.

The reason perhaps is that people have bad beliefs because of Christianity, and they refuse to change it because of Christianity.

Quote:
I certainly do not claim to have a monopoly on knowing what sin is, however; God does and He tells us exactly what sin is in the Bible

Do you claim to have a monopoly on knowing what God knows what sin is?

Quote:
Sin and Satan are the two things we are to hate. We are sinners ourselves, but have been saved from the power of sin and death! That is why we call on the unsaved to repent and must battle our own sins at the same time but with the help of the Spirit. If we didn't love the sinner, then we would not be trying to save them. I only wish there was more I could do, but they have to accept Christ for themself.

You then deplore people. It is not enough to respect people. It is necessary to respect people as they are. For example, it is not enough to say that a person is good despite being black. That would imply that being black is a bad thing. It would only be enough for he or she to be respected as a black.

Quote:
Is that what bothers you most about Christians? that they (some that you know) think they have the inside track on "going to heaven"?

The thing about Christians is their tendency to to feel superior to others, and their tendency to hate others.

That, however, is not the reason that they are bothering. Tendencies are not rules, and as long as they are not rules, one cannot judge groups of people by generalizations.

The thing that is bothering about religious people in general is that they have an inability to change their beliefs. The ability to change one's own beliefs is very important, in that it allows improvement upon previous beliefs, and replacement with better beliefs. This is important because humans are falliable, and humans do err.

Religious people who believe that their own beliefs can be false, and that their beliefs need to be founded upon reason, on the other hand, are far less bothering.
0 Replies

Extropy

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 11:27 am
Extropy wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
Cyracuz wrote:
Yes, christians hate sin, and take it out on "sinners". Gay people, for instance.

And I, for one, do not despise all that is good, although I have a strong dislike towards those who claim a monopoly on knowing what it is.

Perhaps it would be a bit fairer to say "some" Christians? We are to hate the sin, but love the sinner. If anyone is doing it differently than that, they are in error according to the Bible. I certainly do not claim to have a monopoly on knowing what sin is, however; God does and He tells us exactly what sin is in the Bible

If you do not support same-sex marriage for this mere reason, then it is enough to conclude that your belief is destructive. Not to support same-sex marriage is as destructive as not to support anti-discrimination in general, and is as destructive as not to support anti-racism.

Quote:
i am tired of this same old crap. people constantly look to christians for advice. but it seems almost anything you see today on television or read in magazines is either publicizing events that do not go along with christian beliefs. or they are bashing christians. like the t.v show family guy. it constantly shows Jesus and god in bars. in bed with woman. and shows them acting like thusgs. i ask how long will us christians take this.

The reason perhaps is that people have bad beliefs because of Christianity, and they refuse to change it because of Christianity.

Quote:
I certainly do not claim to have a monopoly on knowing what sin is, however; God does and He tells us exactly what sin is in the Bible

Do you claim to have a monopoly on knowing what God knows what sin is?

Quote:
Sin and Satan are the two things we are to hate. We are sinners ourselves, but have been saved from the power of sin and death! That is why we call on the unsaved to repent and must battle our own sins at the same time but with the help of the Spirit. If we didn't love the sinner, then we would not be trying to save them. I only wish there was more I could do, but they have to accept Christ for themself.

You then deplore people. It is not enough to respect people. It is necessary to respect people as they are. For example, it is not enough to say that a person is good despite being black. That would imply that being black is a bad thing. It would only be enough for he or she to be respected as a black.

Quote:
Is that what bothers you most about Christians? that they (some that you know) think they have the inside track on "going to heaven"?

The thing about Christians is their tendency to to feel superior to others, and their tendency to hate others.

That, however, is not the reason that they are bothering. Tendencies are not rules, and as long as they are not rules, one cannot judge groups of people by generalizations.

The thing that is bothering about religious people in general is that they have an inability to change their beliefs. The ability to change one's own beliefs is very important, in that it allows improvement upon previous beliefs, and replacement with better beliefs. This is important because humans are falliable, and humans do err.

Religious people who believe that their own beliefs can be false, and that their beliefs need to be founded upon reason, on the other hand, are far less bothering.

Quote:
We all have the right to practice our religion or non-religion alike.

Indeed, we do. Indeed, I think that one should not call another "crazy" or "deluded" because of beliefs. However, we should not take this to think that all beliefs are equally true, in that if I am right, then you are wrong. We may have a right to believe whatever we want, even if it is false, but it does not mean that whatever we believe is true. Humans do err, and humans can be wrong, and as you are a human, you can be wrong. I am not saying that you are wrong, but I am saying that it is not impossible for you to be wrong.

Quote:
"Never judge a philosophy by its abuse"

Indeed, I am not against religion, or Christanity or any other religion. What I am against is blind faith, and infallibilism. Infallibilism is the truly dangerous thing here, not religion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 01:02 pm
Setanta wrote:
Run 4 fun wrote:
Lastly, at the beginning of time, God define marriage as between 1 man and 1 woman. This excludes homosexuality from the ordained natural partnership. We need no more than this.

Yeah . . . uh-huh . . . sure . . .

Perhaps you will be so kind as to quote for us, chapter and verse, that passage of scripture which unambiguously states that, at the beginning of time, your boy God unequivocally defined marriage "as between 1 man and 1 woman."

Maybe i missed something. I haven't seen an answer to this question. Run 4 Fun, or any of the imaginary friend crowd here, can any of you give me an unambiguous line of scripture which shows that your boy God unequivocally defined marriage "as between 1 man and 1 woman," and that he/she/it did so at the beginning of time?

Or were you perhaps just trying to blow smoke up the collective arse of those in this thread?
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 01:17 pm
18 Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him." 19 Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought {them} to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name. 20 The man gave names to all the cattle, and to the birds of the sky, and to every beast of the field, but for Adam there was not found a helper suitable for him.

21 So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that place. 22 The LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. 23 The man said, " This is now bone of my bones, And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man." 24 For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

Genesis 2:18-24

I would never want to blow anything up anybody's rear... Sad
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 01:35 pm
Run 4 fun wrote:
18 Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him." 19 Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought {them} to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name. 20 The man gave names to all the cattle, and to the birds of the sky, and to every beast of the field, but for Adam there was not found a helper suitable for him.

21 So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that place. 22 The LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. 23 The man said, " This is now bone of my bones, And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man." 24 For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

Genesis 2:18-24

I would never want to blow anything up anybody's rear... Sad

This doesn't say that all marriage is between 1 man and 1 woman. It says that THIS marriage was between 1 man and 1 woman.

It also seems to be mildly insulting to women, like they are a gift or something to be given away.

I've had the misfortune to go to a church where the preacher taught his flock of sheep that to this day men had one less rib then women, and he used this verse as his 'proof'. The group was pretty small (maybe 30-50 people), but at the end of the propaganda I challenged the LIAR on his words.....he told me that Satan was in my heart and that he would pray for me. I wasn't able to change his mind, even after getting a few people to count their ribs (by feeling them), both men and women did it and of course came to the same number, but as we know, facts cannot change the bible.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 02:05 pm
Quote:
For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

Pretty good idea you must admit. It's quite good fun. From the male point of view I mean.

I can't understand all this fuss about fathers though. There's nothing to it. Our contribution isn't much of a sacrifice when you think about it. If I was the one getting pregnant when the "they shall become one flesh" got going I'm not sure it would ever get going. Motherhood seems a bit dire when you look at Mary at the foot of the cross.

Obviously, with birth control in operation there's no "one flesh" so it doesn't really matter who with aside from the property rights associated with the meaningless rock going around a meaningless and dying sun of the atheists.

It is no good being right when most people would prefer you to be wrong.

That might give you an idea why birth control is an important issue and proscribed by The Church.
0 Replies

Extropy

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 03:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Run 4 fun wrote:
Lastly, at the beginning of time, God define marriage as between 1 man and 1 woman. This excludes homosexuality from the ordained natural partnership. We need no more than this.

Yeah . . . uh-huh . . . sure . . .

Perhaps you will be so kind as to quote for us, chapter and verse, that passage of scripture which unambiguously states that, at the beginning of time, your boy God unequivocally defined marriage "as between 1 man and 1 woman."

Maybe i missed something. I haven't seen an answer to this question. Run 4 Fun, or any of the imaginary friend crowd here, can any of you give me an unambiguous line of scripture which shows that your boy God unequivocally defined marriage "as between 1 man and 1 woman," and that he/she/it did so at the beginning of time?

Or were you perhaps just trying to blow smoke up the collective arse of those in this thread?

Obviously, religious people cannot be persuaded because of religion. Religious people believe what they want because they don't respect any standards of epistemology or logic. In order to persuade people to other things, one needs to use things outside of religion. If the only reason is religion, then that is not reason enough, because "because I said so" or "because somebody else said so" is not enough. Indeed, just because God wants things to be one way or another, it does not automatically mean that it is good. Good things are good and bad things are bad anyways; it is not just because God likes them; instead, God likes good things because they are good. Just because God suddenly started liking bad things, it does not suddenly change that bad thing into a good thing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 06:26 pm
Your response, Run 4 Fun, does not unambiguously demonstrate that your boy God said that marriage shall be between one man and one woman, and that he said it at the beginning of time. In fact, the word marriage does not appear in the verses you quoted. Therefore, your post which makes that claim is a lie.
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:08 pm
I know that , Extropy. I am not trying to convince you. I was answering an assertion where someone said that the New Testament never said anything about homosexuality and this passage came along with that passage. If the assertion is against the Bible and about the Bible, then the Bible can answer it. However, I would obviously have to convince you first of the authority of Scripture. Considering this would be far too much to type and that if you really cared you would look to the vast resources available elsewhere, I will not do so (I want to sleep you know).

PS: I have great respect for epistemology, metaphysics, and logic and think that it would do our society a lot of good if people used a little reason in their life. Logic has had a large part in building my faith and strengthening it continually.
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:14 pm
Oh yeah, and things are good and bad because good is what God is and evil is the privation of good. That is why evil cannot be an attribute of God. Good is a perfection whereas evil is an absence of good. That is exactly why, like you said, good can't change, because God is good and God doesn't change.
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:17 pm
Wether it says the word "marriage" or not it was the first marriage (aka lifelong union) between the first human being. In this, God reveals his perfect plan and what is beyond this is a perversion of that plan. I'm not lying... Sad
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:28 pm
Run 4 fun wrote:
Wether it says the word "marriage" or not it was the first marriage (aka lifelong union) between the first human being. In this, God reveals his perfect plan and what is beyond this is a perversion of that plan. I'm not lying... Sad

Is divorce a perversion of God's plan?

Adam and Eve were also fertile, are unfertile marriages a perversion of God's plan?

Just curiuos how far your bible goes.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:31 pm
Run 4 fun wrote:
In this, God reveals his perfect plan

This is the bit where you are making things up, or swallowing crap that someone else made up, (above and beyond the bible, that is)
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:38 pm
Divorce is indeed a perversion of God's plan and is only sinless if it is caused by abuse or unfaithfulness. Marriage was and is for life, for "the two will become one flesh", and "what God has yoked let not man separate." However, fertility is not usually in a couple's control. God did say to Adam and Eve "be fruitful and multiply". Certainly all are called to be spiritual parents to the fatherless and motherless. Also, your original question doesn't entirely work. Consider this: Adam and Eve disobeyed God, so is obedience a perversion of God's perfect plan? Well obviously this was the first perversion.
0 Replies

Run 4 fun

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:40 pm
Huh? What did I make up? I don't swallow crap. I mean... I can hardly stand the smell!
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2007 08:50 pm
Everytime you say something along the lines of "The bible says a,b,c, therefore we can deduce x,y,z" you are effectively making stuff up (or you are passing along something someone else made up, perhaps a church?)
By what right do you, or anyone, interpret for others what the words of the bible actually mean?
0 Replies