THE BRITISH THREAD II

spendius

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 05:17 am
@McTag,
That's an odd question on a discussion thread.

I have raised three separate subjects for discussion in the last day or two and you just throw in one of your own, interesting as it is. A complete disconnect. It's as if you don't want to discuss anything.

I might just as easily say in response to your paralympics question, which presumably derives from something you have seen on TV, what's the best way to cook a turkey.

Or why would smorgsie want to come on with people who live in a world of their own? There's no discussion possible, or worthwhile, if posters do what you have just done Mac.
spendius

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 06:23 am
@McTag,
Mac wrote-

Quote:
I've got some very un-PC thoughts about the concept of "paralympics", internationally organised sporting events for differently-abled people.
I seem to be in a very small minority, though.

Does anyone want to discuss this topic?

Isn't the fact that there are separate events for men and women in the Olympic Games, and other sports, an admission that women are "differently-abled" and that any objection to the paralympics is equally valid for women's events.

Horserace training and riding shows no distinction and I don't think show-jumping does.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:00 am
@spendius,

You what? Spendy, if you have introduced topics for discussion, you have a very strange way of going about it. You just make observations, as though there could be no credible opposing opinion. And some of the statements are a bit wacky, as you have to admit.

I will admit, for my part, I'm quite fond of throwing in the odd non-sequitur. So deal with it. Do you want my opinions on paralympics or not?
spendius

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:32 am
@McTag,
In the light of my last post, and bearing it in mind, not allowing your attention to drift and indulging in ignoring it, yes, I would be interested in your opinions on the paralympics.

I did think though that my insight on Coronation Street, and by extension a myriad works of art, might have interested you Mac. After all, watching depictions of men who are "in the grip" is quite funny.
Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:05 am
@spendius,
whooooa!

I'm in. Apparently. Until next time. So how are you all? McT Spendy and er....all those other regulars? I was thinking bugger the para ohlympiks what about a mega rich royal family buying Stockport County. Like perhaps our own House of Windsor?
Izzie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:29 am
@Steve 41oo,
Hey Mac. Hey Spendi.

Hope all's well up in your parts of the country.

Stevie.... jump back aboard.... left you a message. x
spendius

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:58 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie- Mac and I have been trying to discuss how to have a discussion rather than each of us just chiming in with the first thing that comes into our heads.

In the last 48 hours there's been-

1- The men for sale at auction.

2- The A2K drift to feminisism as with your last post to which I might easily respond -

Quote:
Hi Izzie-jolly hockey sticks. Isn't life wonderful? I hope you and your's are all having a jolly wonderful time.

were I to agree to float away in that direction.

3-And there's the paralympics which I think Mac's objecting to but he's been unable to develop his ideas, which are said to be not PC, because of all these interruptions.

4- And Coronation Street as a guide for men as to what not to do to avoid looking like they are "in the grip". Which is always quite funny to watch.

It goes without saying that we all hope it's all's well where everybody is. Do you think that not expressing it means that we hope it isn't all's well where everybody else is and that you are the only one that does.

You wouldn't watch a page of that on telly now would you?

Now- what about the paralympics? Or any of the others.
spendius

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:19 pm
Forgive the digression but I forgot to mention that my pub is doing a beer promotion. We can buy a card for £9.95 and get 4 pints of any of 8 beers. Except Sat and Sun. The card folds out and there's a pic the same as on the beer pump for that brand next to which is 4 identipics of pint pots full up to the brim.
The barman crosses out a pint pot everytime we order a pint and when all 4 are crossed out we have to buy another card or die of thirst.

It's not really fair because I only save 45pence, welcome though it is, and Vic saves £1.40 odd. That's because I drink John Smith's Extra Smooth at £ 2.35 and he drinks some crap lager at a silly price.

I'm going to write to the Equal Opportunities Commission.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:38 pm
@spendius,
Now Spendi... when I wish you well, I mean that. Yep, you don't have to say it...or ask anyone but I enjoy wishing people well.... makes my somewhat "quiet" little existence in the South West where we are flooded, a little easier to bear - knowing that others are well... Not pretening, not trying to be polite. Genuinely asking if all is OK!

So... as we already had that discussion a few months ago I shan't bother trying to explain again. Smile

Now Number 1. Men for sale at auction... haven't seen that so will go back and have a look - off the top of my head - oooooooooooooooh!!!!!!!!! Slightly intrigued... only slightly, mind you!

2) Feminism.... well... the teenager saying of "whatever" springs to mind.

3) Paralympics. You may or may not know why I came to A2K. Again, like I said a while ago - I don't enter discussions on things that may harm my well-being so... I won't engage on that conversation. Each to their own opinion... and that Mac is a wonderful chap - so.... I refrain from discussing it right now in case it brings me down. Not too concerned if that bothers you.

4) Coronation Street... don't watch TV so no idea what yer on about. (saw some Wimbledon and the Hurricane watches... other than that... no TV!)

SO..... here's one for you Spendi should you choose to respond. What do you think of £250K (I believe) on a gert big spider in Liverpool? Now, as someone who suffered arachnaphobia - tho the big 8 legged wood and metal contraption may float someones boat - personally, I think it is a waste of money. I do love art, I'm sure many will relish watching the contraption - but me, nah, don't like it much. Lots of money for 8 legs... can imagine your response to that last comment!

Wanna discuss... or no!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4680737a4560.html

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:24 pm
@Izzie,
there's a challenge for ya mr spendiaracnosaurus

(its clockwork izz...no bites no harm)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:27 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie-

I did see it on the News. I presumed it was a publicity stunt for a heavy plant firm. JCB say. It looked like a prototype of a new digging machine that can dig 8 times faster than the ordinary models with the driver like an airline pilot in an emergency situation and thus causing an increase in unemployment.

I think it was Bernard Shaw who said that all progress originated in a joke.

I also saw some people down your way mopping up in their houses. It would be silly of me to hope it wasn't you because my hopes don't count for anything but you have my sympathy if it was you.

I wonder what the harvest will be like. But, as I explained, beer is down in price. 20% for Vic. So it's not all doom and gloom.
spendius

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:33 pm
@Izzie,
Izzie wrote-

Quote:
2) Feminism.... well... the teenager saying of "whatever" springs to mind.

I understand you dismissing it flippantly so as we drop our guard but I'll have you know that without feminism we would still be able to smoke in the pub. And we wouldn't have Black and Decker Workmates either.

So- pull the other one.
McTag

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:34 pm
@Izzie,

I said my thoughts on paralympics were not to everyone's liking. The national consensus as far as I can gauge it, as promoted on the BBC and elsewhere, is that the official paralympics are a great noble wonderful thing. I disagree.

I don't want to know if a woman with one leg can swim faster than a woman with one arm. I don't want to know who is the fastest blind runner in the world. It seems daft to me, and a bit of a perversion of the ideal of an olympics.

I'm not against disabled sports. If some folks in wheelchairs want to play basketball, good luck. If disabled folks of whatever stripe want to compete against each other, fair play to them. Just don't let's organise an international tournament with pomp and ceremony and call it an olympics.

0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:40 pm
@spendius,
this is great...I can reply

to what or why I know not
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:52 pm
@spendius,
£250K for a clockwork spider a? sheesh.... and 12 people to work it... well, guess at least someone is employed for a while.

Nope, not me mopping up quite yet... hopefully not, tho the river is rising rapidly. Hey ho.

Glad the beer is down in price for you. Oh.... have some John Smith's cans outside the back door.... they're about 6 years old... guess they won't be drinkable a?

Hey Stevie and Mac... glad you're all sorted Stevie with the log-in now... bout time too - Mac's been calling for you. Hey Mrs. S xx

Mac.... did you get your electrics sorted? The loos are still leaking here (B8stid SWWater!!!!!) Now the conservatory has water leaking in too. Lots. Nem'mind. It will sort no doubt...... eventually. Hope yours wasn't expensive.

Izzie

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:53 pm
@spendius,
PULLED! Razz
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 12:21 am
@spendius,

Spendius wrote:
I did think though that my insight on Coronation Street, and by extension a myriad works of art, might have interested you Mac. After all, watching depictions of men who are "in the grip" is quite funny.

I haven't seen Coronation Street since Ena Sharples' time. Okay, I'm aware of Bet Lynch and what some other of the characters look like, but I don't watch it.
I imagine what you are referring to is the common working-class theme of strong, calculating women and feckless men. But I'm afraid I can't comment in any detail.
I thought Raquel scrubbed up very well. I wish I had written that theme tune.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:44 am
@Izzie,
yes I seem to be sorted log in wise. I was logging in base 10 should have been log base e. If you see.

Anny who its not raining right now, but I'll soon change that..
McTag

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:03 pm

I watched the first couple of episodes my new set of DVDs of Series 1 of The Wire today, and it's very promising.

There are btw a couple of characters called Polk and Mahone in it, and I know just about enough Irish to know that's a joke.
McTag

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:04 pm
@McTag,

Oh sorry, there I go talking about something else without Spendy's permission.
0 Replies