THE BRITISH THREAD II

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:46 am
@spendius,

Apparently the Croat spectators gave Heskey a lot of stick; he answered them in the right way.
McTag

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:41 pm
@McTag,

Okay I'm off tomorrow morning following in the wake of stout Cortez (sweeper for Boca Juniors)

We'll see c.i. and missus in San Francisco, and georgeob and Cyclo I believe, then Bernie and Jane in Portland.

Hooray. Ta-ta.
Izzie

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:46 pm
@McTag,
Safe trip Mac and Mrs Mac.... have the BEST time. Love to you x
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 02:06 pm
@McTag,
Enjoy - and hopefully you'll post FionaB's and your photos for our enjoyment ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:25 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Okay I'm off tomorrow morning

The most is done - first part of it, that is Wink

http://i35.tinypic.com/3462sua.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/33auzad.jpghttp://i36.tinypic.com/2v9ua1u.jpg
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 11:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Gee Walt--that's fantastic. Who else is on board? Are they all being tracked on other sites.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 02:55 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Okay I'm off tomorrow morning ....
well have a jolly good trip...oh he's gone all ready.

Spendy we are not all racists. Some are more racist than others.
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 03:12 pm
@Steve 41oo,
It might be that some are prepared to show it more than others. I suppose a good Darwinian such as yourself would explain it in terms of an atavistic territorial agression sunk deep.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 03:14 pm
@Steve 41oo,
I see a member of Mr Brown's government has gone public with a threat to his leadership. She looked like she had spent the previous 8 hours in make-up and costume and liked eating too much. The silly old bat.
Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 03:20 pm
@spendius,
The silly old bat
who was that?
spendius

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 03:26 pm
@Steve 41oo,
I don't know who it was. Junior Minister in Culture responsible for Organ Maintenance maybe.

I always imagined smorgsie looked like that on a good day.
Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 03:42 pm
@spendius,
what that 20 ton scouse spider

?

sorry wrong thread
Letty

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 08:19 am
@Steve 41oo,
Well, are the McTag's in America yet?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 08:19 am
@Letty,
Yes, since Friday.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:58 am
@Letty,
Yes, they're here.

I had dinner last night in San Francisco with Cicerone and the McTags. Cicerone is still the amiable, easy-going guy I remember from last year (remarkable for such a rabid Democrat); and the McTags a delightful couple (even though they're British). It was Fiona's birthday and we celebrated with a St Honre's cake (a local Italian delicacy) from the Victoria pastry shop in North Beach. We capped the evening with drinks (on Cicerone) at the Top of the Mark (Hopkins) on Nob Hill. I enjoyed the evening - and the company -very much.

I understand the McTags will be moving on to Portland in a couple of days to visit Bernie & Lola. I warned them about the peculiar people who inhabit Oregon, but I don't think they fully understood. McTag is the very observant, thoughtful, slightly wry & ironic, but good-hearted guy he appears to be on these threads. Like most Brits he is a bit slow to pick up on American irony, but it's not his fault. Fiona is smart, charming, very tolerant of McTag, and a bit aggressive (she challenged Lola to an arm wrestling match - careful Lola, she's pretty good).
spendius

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:30 pm
@georgeob1,
It's amazing how many wonderful people come on A2K. It's amazing that with wall-to-wall assholes everywhere you look and everytime A2Kers have meetings it is always a gathering of the nicest and most wonderful people you could ever wish to meet. It's as if A2K is a social device for bringing the cream to the surface.

Was that piece of lardy American irony George? Just let Mac move in next door. You would soon find out how wry & ironic and good-hearted a guy Mac is.

If I did a thing like that there would be search parties sent out from the pub. If he visited me that's where I would take him and I bet I could have his eyes popping and get the vein in his temple pumping purple after starting on the third pint.

You are to be commended though George for your common sense in going out of your way to please him. Judging by a couple of stories he's told us on here it is definitely the best way to handle him.

Actually, you are supposed to have a good old-fashioned knees up to celebrate the birthday of a lady with a name like Fiona. She must have been a bit disappointed having to make do with a "local Italian delicacy. "

Did you sing Happy Birfday?

I've heard from an eye-witness that Californians are "stark staring mad."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 05:37 am
@georgeob1,
Thanks for the update, George, ... and your critical sidelines Wink
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:40 am
It was a bit "lardy", but I wouldn't blame America for it. For me it was more like a friendly poke in the eye to folks I like and who both deserve and can take it.

Spendius, if either you or Walter were to come here I would do the same and would expect to enjoy the experience just as much.

I agree though that the assholes appear to be dominating the scene here on A2K lately. Too much shouting and invective: too little irony and humor.
Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 01:03 pm
@georgeob1,
well the terrible thing is George...excuse me a moment...oops there goes another american bank....

that brits and 'mericans have a totally different area of the brain wired up for humo/ur

brits are clever and aloof, so they think. Americans are down to earth and visceral, so they dont think.

enough of this banter, why are Australians good at sport?

The climate: and total lack of distraction from intellectual pursuit.
spendius

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 01:48 pm
@Steve 41oo,
The women have them under the cosh.

Whenever I see a bloke busting a gut I think "aye-aye, he's trying a bit hard. "

That's how it starts anyway. Anybody any good soon shows and they get taken in hand and bamboozled. Then pride and self-esteem comes in and it's impossible to un-bambozzle them.

It's the same with atheists. Making the religion teacher look a fool impresses the girls on the back row. The teacher is probably enjoying watching it and imagining the brainbox in five years mowing the lawn and cleaning the gutters out and having to go outside the back door of the house he's sweating out of the coal face for a fag and getting black looks into the bargain.