THE BRITISH THREAD II

spendius

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:12 pm
@McTag,
You thinking such a thing possible Mac can only be the result of a complete, and I presume convenient, misunderstanding on your part about which I am not only powerless to rectify but mystified as to how it could have arisen.

I do believe though that a fiction writer would have been laughed out of town had he had the temerity to invent what I have just watched happen on Sky Sports News concerning the transfer window deadline.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 01:19 am
@McTag,

Where is Steve when you need him? I thought he would like to see this- maybe he saw the programme. It was very revealing, and will cause a stir I'm sure.

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/dispatches/undercover+mosque+the+return/2436087
spendius

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 03:00 am
@McTag,
The oxygen of publicity Mac.

That football story was Brit thread stuff. Why is it that everytime I pass the ball you throw it into touch and grab another. Your link to Dispatches won't be read by some in the way you expect it to be read.

McTag

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:39 pm
@spendius,

English football transfer market? Football finances in general? House of cards?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/01/economy

Certainly it's a new ball game at City with the arabs weighing in with a big wodge. The centre of gravity seems to have shifted a bit in our fair city.

Personally I don't like the idea of a football team stuffed with cherry-picked international superstars.
It'll be too cold and wet in Manchester for that Brazilian, mark my words. I'd have preferred Berbatov, I like him.
Have I just contradicted myself? Apparently. Maybe just one big-money star per team, then.
Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:11 pm
@McTag,
Hi all sorry I've not been around...but the system locks me out every few minutes. totally frustrating.

This is how it (doesnt) work

I go to the log on page
it presents my correct email and pass word
I submit it
It comes back log in failed (my system is set to accept cookies)

I submit form for new password
they send me an email
I get it and log on with the verification code

I post something like this

I leave the site

I come back and have log on again

I CAN NEVER LOG ON. LOG ON FAILS

any ideas?
spendius

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:15 pm
@Steve 41oo,
You could shoot yourself Steve.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:38 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Stevie...

good to see you Very Happy

When you log in do you tick the box "remember me"?

not sure if will make a difference - have you ticketed the help desk? Tulip had the same problem and we had to set her up with a new registration.

Hope you can get on soon. x
Rockhead

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:48 pm
@Izzie,
Remember me does wonders, old chap...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:53 pm
@McTag,
Mac-- What was really interesting was that two blokes were up on an auction block with an on-screen clock ticking down. For the hire of their musclature. Feminists object to that when it is applied to women for the hire of their musclature. They claimed it lowered the dignity of women.

It's odd they are not objecting to men being auctioned off to fat-cats. Do these feminists have one set of principles for women and another for men? That might undermine everything they stand for.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 12:34 am
@Steve 41oo,
I sent you a ticket from the help desk, but in case you don't see that and do see this the problem is that you aren't changing your password after getting in. When you request that email it gives you a link that logs you in, and you then need to change your password to something that will work (sounds like your old password wasn't long enough).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:06 am
@spendius,

Not even your fevered brain could have imagined this happening, Spendy.
Manchester City target Ronaldo, Torres and Fabregas.
"Christiano Ronaldo said he wanted to play for the biggest club in the world. Well, this is his chance"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/02/manchestercity.manchesterunited

Middle East Lands? I wonder how the new arab owners of City and going to get on with Sir Howard Bernstein.

Come on Steve, get online. This is a fast-moving situation.

spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:52 am
@McTag,
Mac-

I've already imagined more than that. It's the game itself. The world is buying football. The truly beautiful game. Rich men are bored. Money means nothing to them.

All the Roman games were paid for by the richest men.

And Man. City have the best looking stadium on wide-screen TV.

Horseracing has shown the way. Cricket is heading the same way.

It's all been invented by Rupert Murdoch and Sky Sports.

When will the US bite the bullet? Their isolationist sports are a no-no.

Bread and circuses.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:25 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Come on Steve, get online. This is a fast-moving situation.

Steve "will have more time for experiments later".

But he told me that he knows from usually well informed sources, originally Stockport County was the club the Arabs wanted to buy. But since they were too expensive even for them ...
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:47 pm

So, I suppose Steve's computer is still not delivering the goods.

I had no trouble with the transition, personally.

Come back, Steve, while ManU have still got some stars.
Francis

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 12:51 pm
@McTag,
Yes, come back Steve, this thread has never been the same since you stopped coming here..
spendius

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:27 pm
@Francis,
I'm only hanging in hoping for some kind of change.
Francis

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 01:32 pm
@spendius,
What would be a change for you?

spendius

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:36 pm
@Francis,
Without knowing the financial and administration contingencies it would be silly of me to suggest any. As it stands I find it tiresome navigating anywhere else but My Posts and that leads to a narrowing. More like a posh restaurant than a pub.

If I try the links on the left I get a page of long dead threads. From 2002 even with long disappeared posters on the last post.

I also detect a drift into feminisation as has happened with media generally but if that creates more advertising revenue it is impossible to argue with it.

The discussions have got bittier. And shallower.

I experimented with the word "****" and it went uncensored. I'm not sure that's a good move. I can lay that stuff on pretty thick if I feel that way inclined. I once gave a demo using "flip" instead which gave an idea.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:29 am
@Francis,

And I miss Smorgs too, more than words can say.

Where, o where, is my fragrant friend?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 04:24 am

I've got some very un-PC thoughts about the concept of "paralympics", internationally organised sporting events for differently-abled people.
I seem to be in a very small minority, though.

Does anyone want to discuss this topic?