THE BRITISH THREAD II

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 01:44 pm
The Poppy War is nearly as entertaining as Brexit.
Kolyo

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 06:48 am
Bump
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 06:49 am
Inter Milan! Inter bloody Milan!

Yet again. This time we won.
Kolyo

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 06:49 am
Bump 2
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 06:50 am
bump
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 06:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Inter Milan! Inter bloody Milan!

Yet again. This time we won.

I've heard that part of the deal Liverpool have with Southampton after signing most of their squad recently is that they guarantee to gift them a minimum of 4 points each season (source - my own arse).
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 07:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Henning Wehn called Remembrance Sunday selective remembrance Sunday.

Having said that both Scotland and England are going to go ahead and defy the ban.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 07:13 am
@lmur,
That a more reliable source than most of the pundits on line.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 07:34 am
@izzythepush,
His new program is called: "Westphalia is not an option" - that certainly disqualifies Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 09:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So I got the idea to watch the show with friends in March - sold out already.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 10:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
He's very good, well liked over here.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 10:40 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
He's very good, well liked over here.
And he likes you as well:
"I initially planned to stay in the UK for only 12 months to improve my English, but the good weather, the tasty food and the classy women made me stay."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2016 01:39 am
http://i67.tinypic.com/4sjfus.jpg
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 09:14 pm
AFC Wimbledon are within a point of MK Dons in English football's third tier table.

A cause for celebration if ever there was one.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 03:03 am
@Kolyo,
Not yet, they have to overtake them first.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 05:48 am
Theresa May calls snap general election.

Quote:
UK Prime Minister Theresa May has announced plans to call a snap general election on 8 June.

She said Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership following the EU referendum.

Explaining the decision, Mrs May said: "The country is coming together but Westminster is not."

There will be a Commons vote on the proposed election on Wednesday - Labour have said they will vote with the government.

The prime minister needs Parliament's backing to hold a vote before the next scheduled date of 2020.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39629603

This is political opportunism, the Tories are at their highest poll rating since 1983. Labour MPs will vote for it because when Labour loses Corbyn will have to resign and we can get a proper leader.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 08:55 am
@izzythepush,
Hmmm...
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 09:59 am
@ossobucotemp,
Part of me is relieved, notwithstanding the disaster of a hard Brexit, given the choice of 5 or 8 more years of Tory rule I'll go for 5. It's better Corbyn loses now than in three years time, and he will lose, this is 1983 all over again.

Corbyn screwed up right from the beginning when he decided to talk about Trident, how he would never use it, and giving the likes of Assad, and Putin, an easy ride. He's saying all the right things now, about jobs, wages, housing and the NHS, but it's too late. People see Corbyn and see an undefended Britain rolling over and letting Putin take over.

That's not what will happen obviously, but it's what people think.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2017 07:58 am
A bit of light relief.

Quote:
A council has apologised for suggesting Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson would be attending one of its festivals - despite him dying four years ago.

North Norfolk District Council incorrectly said people could "come see him!" in Cromer on Sunday.

The council quickly apologised after it was pointed out on social media Mr Anderson had died in December 2012.

It clarified the festival would be showing Thunderbirds memorabilia instead, as first reported by the EDP.

One Facebook one post pointed out Mr Anderson was dead and another suggested his "resurrection" was "fitting for the weekend after Easter".

The council responded on Facebook admitting its "error" and describing it as a "pretty big fail".

The Gerry Anderson gaffe, in which the public was invited to come to Cromer to "meet him" (Mr Anderson), was also published on Twitter but the council has since deleted the tweet.

Mr Anderson, who created shows such as Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, Stingray and Joe 90, died aged 83.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-39640040
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 05:18 am
A rare bit of good news, although I'm still very gloomy about Corbyn's chances.

Quote:
Young people are rushing to register to vote after Theresa May called a general election earlier this week.

While it’s often said that young people don’t engage in politics – it appears change is afoot.

More than 100,000 people under 25 have registered to vote since the PM called an election on Tuesday.

Registering to vote is a prerequisite to vote.

When Theresa May announced the country would go to the polls, under 25-year olds rushed to ensure they’d have their say.

On Tuesday alone 57,987 young voters registered to vote.

Labour party supporters will be relieved by the news as young people have previously been among groups least likely to turn up to vote.

But the impact of the EU referendum, which saw millions of older voters push the nation to the exit the EU, might have impacted the sudden voter enthusiasm

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/21/over-100000-people-under-25-have-registered-to-vote-since-snap-election-was-called-6588539/
0 Replies