THE BRITISH THREAD II

McTag

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 03:23 am
@spendius,

Crivvens, where is everybody? Spendy and me can't keep this going on our own. We bicker. We don't get on. He's so unreasonable.

I'm going to Boothstown for a pie & pint today.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 04:44 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Slow traffic anticlockwise between J14, East Lancs Road and J13, Worsley.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 04:53 am
@McTag,
Quote:
One of the funny things on the news this morning was the fact of how upset the Australians seem to be getting that the Poms won more olympic medal than they did.

did you? well surprise surprise! i havnt seen anything in the press about this.

oh wait i did see see something about murdoch(?) hiring billboards and driving them around London and Sydney.

How many medals per head of population?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 04:56 am
Broad took a few wickets at Trent Bridge I see

5/23 off 10 deserves applause.
spendius

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:23 am
@dadpad,
Smith's men have "let go". Winning the Test series was enough. ODIs are entertainment.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 01:28 am
In today's Mirror ... but you've to go further than Page 3 ...

http://i34.tinypic.com/osswoy.jpg

... something which might brighten up even more:

http://i37.tinypic.com/19bgut.jpg

Online here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/08/29/exclusive-the-happiest-and-saddest-places-in-britain-115875-20715573/
McTag

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 02:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Let's have it right about Kerry's tits, it was a boob reduction job after an earlier augmentation.

I'm pleased to be able to bring you this information.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/latest/2008/08/29/picture-exclusive-kerry-katona-s-new-15-000-boob-job-115875-20715792/
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 03:20 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I'm pleased to be able to bring you this information.

Thanks, will look at that later. (I've still not finished reading that one photo ...)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:19 pm
@McTag,
Aside from the boobs, I am surprised to see that my beautiful area is 161st in the happiness stakes. And Izzie's, come to that. Load of miseries, these hippies.
Izzie

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 04:22 pm
@Clary,
Ah.... Clary.... they didn't talk to us tho, did they!!!!!! Wink

0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:20 pm
@McTag,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/gloucestershire/7584015.stm

did mctag buy the slice of the ROYAL WEDDING CAKE ? (GRIN)

Quote:
Slice of royal wedding cake sold
A large slice of cake made to celebrate the wedding of Lady Diana Spencer and Prince Charles has been sold for £1,000 at an auction house in Gloucestershire.

The nine inch (23cm) square piece was given to Moyra Smith, a cleaner at Clarence House in London, by a royal chef in 1981.

The slice is decorated with the royal coat of arms in icing and was preserved in clingfilm.

It comes with a signed thank you letter to Mrs Smith from the royal couple.

Chris Albury, from the Dominic Winter Auction House in South Cerney, said: "We have seen numerous small pieces of official presentation cake slices from this wedding over the years but this piece is altogether on a different scale.

"The decorative icing of the royal coat of arms is very skilled and while there is some cracking and damage it is in remarkably good condition.

"We understand that 23 wedding cakes were officially made and this is most likely one from a single-tier cake sent to the staff at Clarence House.

"Whoever bought it is unlikely to eat it as it will undoubtedly taste stale and be an expensive experiment."

The slice of cake was bought by a private collector from the UK who wanted to remain anonymous.

will we get to see a picture of mctag eating the "slice" ?
hbg
spendius

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:05 pm
@hamburger,
At £1,000 I am inclined to doubt it. Mac's not quite that daft.
McTag

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 04:16 am
@spendius,

I remember it well. We had a party in our street to celebrate the wedding of their royal highnesses and I am inclined to think the wedding cake will have got a bit fusty since then.
Clary

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:14 pm
@McTag,
Credit crunch mon cul
spendius

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 12:35 pm
@Clary,
"Mon cul c'est du poulet".

It does seem a bit odd that the stock market is holding up. Do you think we are having our leg's pulled?
Francis

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 01:10 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
"Mon cul c'est du poulet".
I'd be surprised if it was such..

Same with your legs pulled....
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:20 pm
I quoted this on another thread-

Quote:
Man will bow his neck to matrimony only if there is no other way out, and "he wonders all the rest of his life why he did."

It was from a famous American professor of both Clinical Medicine and Medical History. Logan Clendening by name.

It struck me earlier that the women on Coronation Street are so awful that the main joke is watching blokes performing who have "no other way out" and who we are shown artistic depictions of, just as with Shakespeare, through all stages of the process from the twinkle in the eye to the long drawn out rest of their lives with occasional flashes of them wondering why they did it.

In fact, when I think about it, everything might run along similar lines. Try Ovid for example. (No don't).

It might be remiss of us to think of the ladies in Eastenders or Emmerdale as superior in taste and refinement to those in Coronation Street. Or those in the "bonnet" flicks.

Dick van Dyke, probably following in the footsteps of W.C.Fields, gave a virtuoso display if you remember.

Tony Hancock demonstrated the finding another way out.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@spendius,
Well, I remember that I watched the Dick van Dyke Show any time when I was England (ITV [Southern and Grampian, depending on where I stayed] if I'm not mistaken). And I remember how disappointed I was when it had been stopped.

Most probably it was - for me, in those days - only a bit more difficult to understand than 'RSG" or "TOP" Very Happy

Sorry to have interrupted you, Spendi, with your discourse about "Modern Diseases in their Ancient Context" or whatever it was ...
spendius

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That's certainly a nice title Walt.

I wouldn't care to be caught seeing our companions in this weary world of woe in the grotesque light these "new men" seem to do.
McTag

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:33 pm
@spendius,

Perhaps you align more with the Wahabi muslim views on the proper role of women in society, as shown on tonight's "Dispatches" programme on TV.