More Clear Thinking From Ann Coulter

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 04:55 pm
The Republican Party is the Fuzzy Zoeller of American politics.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 05:11 pm
Olberman would get that one.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:48 am
Of Hate-Speech and Hypocrisy
By Patrick Goodenough
CNSNews.com Managing Editor
March 09, 2007

(Contains language that may be offensive to some readers.)

(CNSNews.com) - The left-wing Daily Kos blog has been driving a campaign to have companies pull ads from Ann Coulter's website after the conservative author used a slur in a recent speech, but leftist websites -- including Daily Kos -- have themselves used the offending word in the past.

Daily Kos postings have included the word "faggot" at least three times in recent years, as have other liberal blogs -- without apology, and without generating a furor.

During a characteristically caustic speech at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) last Friday, Coulter said, "I was going to have a few comments on the other Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, but it turns out you have to go into rehab if you use the word 'faggot,' so I ... can't really talk about Edwards."

The outcry was not long in coming, with the Human Rights Campaign, which advocates for homosexual rights, issuing a statement calling her use of the term "vile and disgusting" and the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) saying it was "vile and unacceptable."

It was soon reported that at least three companies had pulled advertising from Coulter's site, following postings on Daily Kos in which target companies were identified and their contact information provided.

"Ann Coulter's latest bigoted and hateful diatribe has justifiably evoked rage and disgust throughout the progressive community," a Daily Kos blogger going by the name of "VolvoDrivingLiberal" wrote two days after the speech.

"One of the best ways to communicate one's distaste for Coulter's repeated incidents of hate speech is to respectfully but firmly let her advertisers know you are deeply troubled by their indirect support of bigotry through their advertising on Coulter's website," the blogger wrote. "A list of Coulter's advertisers with contact information is detailed below."

(Posting again on Daily Kos on Thursday, "VolvoDrivingLiberal" boasted that "the progressive community achieved significant success this week in persuading corporate and organizational advertisers to pull ads on anncoulter.com." The blogger urged readers to turn their attention to one last major target advertising on Coulter's site, Amazon.com.)

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCommentary.asp?Page=/Commentary/archive/200703/COM20070309a.html
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:34 pm
Quote:
Daily Kos postings have included the word "faggot" at least three times in recent years, as have other liberal blogs -- without apology, and without generating a furor.

Context?

A quick Google search of ... faggot -coulter site:dailykos.com ... and I get a lot of hits, but nothing at all akin to anything along the lines of "So and so is a faggot" or "Faggots should die" or even "wow, that faggot's got a really nice car. Good for him." In fact, the first hit is someone decrying the use of the word in the forum.

But it's a matter of voice and venue, anyway. There's not a fervor every time some group shows up at an event with signs that say "God hates faggots" because sometimes it's just expected.

You can't honestly equate Ann Coulter speaking publicly at a major event hosted by/for a heavy hitter in the Republican party with what some anonymous poster puts up on a blog that most people on the internet probably aren't even aware of. Do you attach the same significance to, say, bipolarbear's postings as you do to what Hilary Clinton says during public appearances?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:24 pm
Quote:
You can't honestly equate Ann Coulter speaking publicly at a major event hosted by/for a heavy hitter in the Republican party with what some anonymous poster puts up on a blog....

I hope you are speaking to the general audience and lurkers out there, patio, and not bothering to direct your comments to the conservatives on this forum. The right wingers are in DENSE mode on this one, and they are going to just post over and over that there is no difference between the remarks an invited speaker makes at a gathering of Republican bigwigs and the postings of unknown, anonymous people on a weblog.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:35 pm
That makes me feel very important.

Or maybe it's impotent. One or the other.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 04:23 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Quote:
You can't honestly equate Ann Coulter speaking publicly at a major event hosted by/for a heavy hitter in the Republican party with what some anonymous poster puts up on a blog....

I hope you are speaking to the general audience and lurkers out there, patio, and not bothering to direct your comments to the conservatives on this forum. The right wingers are in DENSE mode on this one, and they are going to just post over and over that there is no difference between the remarks an invited speaker makes at a gathering of Republican bigwigs and the postings of unknown, anonymous people on a weblog.

Actually,there is no difference.

They are both protected by the first amendment,and you are free to either ignore or accept the comments in question.

I choose to ignore them.
Its a shame you and others dont do the same thing.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:06 pm
Nice attempt to sidetrack, but no dice. Nobody is talking about arresting Coulter for her comments. And the First Amendment is only concerned with preventing government action against an individual speaking their mind.

That's it, just the government. If you say your boss' wife has a big fat butt, the First Amendment prevents the government from arresting you for saying it. However, it does NOT prevent the boss from firing you immediately for saying it.

The First Amendment is only concerned with the actions of the government, not with the actions of other people you pissed off with your big fat mouth. If they don't like what you said, business customers can refuse to do business with you, neighbors can refuse to talk to you and refuse to invite you to neighborhood get togethers, the neighbors' children can be forbidden to play with yours, the paper boy can refuse to deliver the paper to your doorstep. The first amendment prevents none of this.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:25 pm
In the case of Coulter, however, she was invited to speak at a political gathering of such importance that GOP candidates for the presidential nomination where present, trying to get the organization's support.

When a person is invited to speak to such a rally, it means the organization feels that the individual shares their views and has interesting and positive things to say about their position. Indeed, Coulter spends a good deal of her time speaking, for a fee, in front of conservative groups. She gets her picture taken often with conservative politicians. That would not happen if conservatives did not feel she represented them in her books and speeches. And her invite to an organization meeting where conservatives are looking for a GOP nominee to support only makes that representation that much clearer.

Anonymous posters on a website do not represent anyone but themselves. So there is no need for Democratic leaders to speak out if these posters say outrageous things-these posters do not represent the Democrats at all.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 04:38 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Nice attempt to sidetrack, but no dice. Nobody is talking about arresting Coulter for her comments. And the First Amendment is only concerned with preventing government action against an individual speaking their mind.

That's it, just the government. If you say your boss' wife has a big fat butt, the First Amendment prevents the government from arresting you for saying it. However, it does NOT prevent the boss from firing you immediately for saying it.

The First Amendment is only concerned with the actions of the government, not with the actions of other people you pissed off with your big fat mouth. If they don't like what you said, business customers can refuse to do business with you, neighbors can refuse to talk to you and refuse to invite you to neighborhood get togethers, the neighbors' children can be forbidden to play with yours, the paper boy can refuse to deliver the paper to your doorstep. The first amendment prevents none of this.

Actually,the first amendment gives you or me or anyone else the right to freedom of speech.
It does NOT however,guarantee you freedom from consequences of your speech,an nobody is claiming that it did.

Coulter,Limbaugh,Hannity,Franken,and all of the other political commentators have the right to say whatever they want,but neither you or I have to listen to them.

I choose to ignore them,you choose to get angry about them.
Tell me,which approach is hurting them more?
You constantly mentioning and giving them free publicity,or me just ignoring them and what they say?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 05:12 pm
Mysteryman, are you kidding?

Coulter is a gift from God for the Democrats and the left! There is no way I am going to ignore her. The more she is on the front pages, the better.

She is a poster child for bigotry, and the image of conservative youth applauding is priceless.

This is politics Mysteryman. When someone who is associated by the public with the other side is such a wonderful person-- they need to be publically congratulated.

Ignoring Coulter would be a waste.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:13 pm
At least seven papers have dropped Coulter. I think she made a costly mistake in using the "word." She has been considered a very desirable guest on TV programs, however, this may now change.

http://www.freemarketnews.com/Feedback.asp?nid=14852
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:31 am
Mysteryman:

The issue is that Anne Coulter is very close to the leadership of the Republican Party. She has been comments like this for quite a few years now, yet she keeps on getting invited to Republican get togethers, such as this one the past week. If she did not reflect the views of Republicans, she would never have been invited to speak at that meeting. That is why she is NOT so easily ignored-people with real influence feel she speaks for them-and look at the things she says.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 02:23 am
Coulter was clearly over the top on that one. I have no clue where such a stupid comment came from. I am sitting here wondering if she knows something about Edwards that we out here in fly over country do not know. Basically, society is losing its decency, and even though there is something called political correctness, people in general are becoming cruder with open reference to sexual and otherwise subjects all too common. I believe we are losing respect for each other, and Coulter has apparently lowered herself into that sort of behavior as well.

As a conservative, I don't know Coulter, don't read her books, don't care. The problem I see with people like Coulter, and lots of other people considered to be icons of something, on both sides of the political spectrum, you have people that begin to think they are more important than they really are. Unfortunately, any stupid statement or behavior is picked up by the opposition, and they use such people to try to paint the entire political spectrum in that way.

I see the same with religion. We now have a situation where the loony left apparently hates and fears the so-called "religious right." Unfortunately, you also have TV religious hustlers as I would call them, such as Robertson, Falwell, etc, who from time to time make really stupid statements. So, they are held up as examples by the left as reasons to demonize all religious people or especially "Christians" in this country. Religious people that I know are simply good people, by and large, as are many or most non-religious people, that believe in being good citizens and minding their own business and raising their families responsibly.

We need to be first decent people that stand for right and wrong first, and not defend people that hold themselves up as icons no matter what they do. Coulter may be a decent person, and as I said, I don't know what she is about at all. At the risk of being attacked for saying so, I have my doubts about a ditzy blonde running around the political world shooting off her mouth and writing books.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 05:42 am
Damn, okie. This is one for the books. I think I agreed with everything in your last post.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:34 am
Quote:
I am sitting here wondering if she knows something about Edwards that we out here in fly over country do not know.

Perhaps she should put her nancy drew skills to work closer to home.

Cpl. Matt Sanchez

On the whole though Okie I agree with you about politics being too dirty. Personally I find hypocrisy to be even worse.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:39 am
okie wrote:
Coulter was clearly over the top on that one. I have no clue where such a stupid comment came from. I am sitting here wondering if she knows something about Edwards that we out here in fly over country do not know. Basically, society is losing its decency, and even though there is something called political correctness, people in general are becoming cruder with open reference to sexual and otherwise subjects all too common. I believe we are losing respect for each other, and Coulter has apparently lowered herself into that sort of behavior as well.

Thanks for taking a clear stand on this. Good on you.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:42 am
okie wrote:
I am sitting here wondering if she knows something about Edwards that we out here in fly over country do not know.

Nah, Coulter just has a thing for calling political opponents homosexual. She called Al Gore a fag too, there were others as well (saw a short list somewhere, dont care to look it back up).
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:43 am
okie wrote:

As a conservative, I don't know Coulter, don't read her books, don't care. The problem I see with people like Coulter, and lots of other people considered to be icons of something, on both sides of the political spectrum, you have people that begin to think they are more important than they really are. Unfortunately, any stupid statement or behavior is picked up by the opposition, and they use such people to try to paint the entire political spectrum in that way.

I see the same with religion. We now have a situation where the loony left apparently hates and fears the so-called "religious right." Unfortunately, you also have TV religious hustlers as I would call them, such as Robertson, Falwell, etc, who from time to time make really stupid statements. So, they are held up as examples by the left as reasons to demonize all religious people or especially "Christians" in this country. Religious people that I know are simply good people, by and large, as are many or most non-religious people, that believe in being good citizens and minding their own business and raising their families responsibly.

We need to be first decent people that stand for right and wrong first, and not defend people that hold themselves up as icons no matter what they do. Coulter may be a decent person, and as I said, I don't know what she is about at all. At the risk of being attacked for saying so, I have my doubts about a ditzy blonde running around the political world shooting off her mouth and writing books.

as a part of the "loony left".... and I have only been part of the loony left since I verbalized my feelings for bush.....I can tell you that I do not fear the religious right. They are a bunch of low self esteem pussies that hide behind Jesus and teacher like little student council monitor snitches, whining about immoral behavior because they are trying to ignore the fact that they want to behave that way so badly but don't have the stones for the job. These are not christians.... there are very few christians... but they are church going azzholes. No shortage of those.

Once again in the words of my A2K hero.... of course that's just my opinion.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 08:44 am
At conservative website GOPUSA, Accuracy in Media columnist Cliff Kincaid is calling Ann Coulter "The Britney Spears of the Right":

Quote:
The political equivalent of Britney Spears shaving the hair off her head, Ann Coulter made headlines at this year's Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) by calling Democrat John Edwards a faggot. Wearing a leather dress and a Christian cross around her neck, Coulter must be a liberal infiltrator whose purpose is to give conservatism a bad name ...

Coulter had assumed "rock star" status on the right, but her latest performance may mean that the rock is sinking fast. AIM has announced that it will be discontinuing sales of books by or merchandise promoting Ann Coulter. We hope that other conservative groups follow our lead ...

Ironically, Coulter's "joke" about Edwards was presented in the context of saying that if she used the word "faggot" to describe him, she would have to go into rehab. The idea of getting Coulter some professional help doesn't sound so funny to me.
0 Replies