More Clear Thinking From Ann Coulter

McGentrix

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 07:52 am
patiodog wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Replace "faggot" with "bunny" and see what a witty little joke it is.

WTF is your point, McGent?

That you had no point. She didn't say nigger, so why introduce the word here? Is faggot not incendiary enough for you?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:03 am
Quote:
That you had no point. She didn't say nigger, so why introduce the word here? Is faggot not incendiary enough for you?

Because of woiyo's suggestion that it's really not that big a deal. When you're talking about public speech in the political arena, it is a big deal. In recent memory an American man has been trussed up on a barbed wire fence for being a "faggot" and an American man has been dragged behind a truck for being a "nigger."

Just because more people are comfortable with the use of one than the other does not mean that both are not incendiary terms. Now, Coulter can say whatever she wants in public or private, but it doesn't mean that one can't register chagrin when she does so.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:09 am
It is not a big deal in this case though. Anyone that takes Coulter seriously should think about professional help. She is a paid antagonist and is very good at it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:23 am
Baldimo appears to take her seriously. Are you suggesting that he get professional help for it? Because, you know, that's a very leftist thing to do.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:24 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:27 am
she's a c**t... people who like her are c**ts. That's my opinion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:30 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
she's a c**t... people who like her are c**ts. That's my opinion.

You have already mentioned that your opinion really doesn't matter.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:31 am
oh but it does McGentrix. Just not to c**ts.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:33 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Baldimo appears to take her seriously. Are you suggesting that he get professional help for it? Because, you know, that's a very leftist thing to do.

Taking her seriously and understanding where she is coming from are 2 different things. I have read several of her books but don't agree with everything she says. She has good points and bad points. I just find this whole thing to be funny.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 08:36 am
Can't say that I'd read several of a pundit's books without taking them a little bit seriously.

But, then, I don't read punditry screeds...

Sorry about repeatedly calling you woiyo, Baldimo.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:03 am
patiodog wrote:
Can't say that I'd read several of a pundit's books without taking them a little bit seriously.

But, then, I don't read punditry screeds...

Sorry about repeatedly calling you woiyo, Baldimo.

No harm no foul.

Some of the screeds as you call them are pretty bad that is true but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. I've read a few books from people on the left and didn't agree with them in the least, but I still enjoyed. The same goes for my radio. I listen to both left and right radio and enjoy both. What I'm saying is I don't take the words these people write as the Word on conservativism. I take what I need from them and leave what I don't.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 09:10 am
I don't trust any information from any of them, regardless of stripe.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 10:29 am
nimh wrote:
Credit where credit's due though -- this time round many conservatives have slammed Coulter for her stupidity

<copies/pastes from post on other thread>

• Captain Quarter's blog calling Coulter's remark "stupid, unnecessary, and hateful" and "indefensible"

• Hugh Hewitt calling it "Idiotic. Disgusting. Stupid. Moronic."

• John Hawkins at Right Wing News calling Coulter's remark "juvenile", Coulter herself "extremely selfish" and saying that "Ann should apologize for her remarks"

• Nathan Nelson at Redstate.com "denouncing" Coulter and "saying that all other conservatives should do the same thing"

• Another very lively discussion at Redstate.com about Coulter's remarks, with the participants pretty evenly divided between the indignant and the apologetic; between those, like one "Kyle", who argue Coulter is an albatross around the conservatives' necks, and those who defend her as an asset

• Even Michelle Malkin at least explicitly not laughing with Coulter.

On the Bush Supporters thread I followed up this list by writing, "Consider me hopeful that A2K conservatives will this time be as boldly decent as these bloggers I quoted."

I can see I might be in for a long wait.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 12:26 am
Baldimo wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Replace "faggot" with "nigger" and see what a witty little joke it is.

People still use that word all the time and I don't approve of either....

White people? It is no longer acceptable, has not been acceptable for decades, and if you get caught using it in any official capacity or while representing a company in any way, you join the unemployment line fast.

Now if you own your own business or are of independent means, I guess you can use it as often as you like, except when in restaurants and places of business, where you will get thrown out.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 12:43 am
Baldimo wrote:
If you say something the left doesn't like or even imitate a protected group you get sent to "reeducation classes" to learn not to do those things. People are getting striped of their 1st amendment rights......

Baldimo, do you even know what your First Amendment rights are? They only protect you from the GOVERNMENT putting you in jail for saying your mind.

In absolutely no shape, size or form does the First Amendment protect you from an employer firing you, or people refusing to do business with you for what you said, or your neighbors shunning you and refusing to let their children play with yours, or the paper boy refusing to deliver to your door.

What the reaction is of private citizens to what you say is not protected by the First Amendment. The First Amendment only protects you from GOVERNMENT action against you. What other people do to you, outside of assaulting you or otherwise breaking the law, is not a First Amendment issue at all.

As for that actor who called his castmate a name, that isn't a First Amendment issue either. Nobody forced that actor to go to those classes. He could have said "Screw the classes, I meant what I said". He would have been fired from his job on the show, but that isn't a First Amendment issue-that is a decision on the part of the studio that a show will not benefit from having a person who openly proclaims his hate for homosexuals on the show.

People incorrectly think the First Amendment protects them from any repurcussions from what they say, no matter how offensive. Wrong. It protects you from government action against you for speaking your mind-whether others feel like they want to employ you or do business with you for what you say is entirely up to them.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 04:32 am
Your sound reasoning is a breath of fresh air and much needed here, kw.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 06:54 am
How is what Ann coulter said any more disgraceful than whay people like Bill Mahr said about wishing Dick Cheney had been killed in Afganistan?

Where is the outrage over Bill Mahr?

He is just as irrelevant as Ann Coulter, yet, nothing much printed about that.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 07:35 am
woiyo wrote:
How is what Ann coulter said any more disgraceful than whay people like Bill Mahr said about wishing Dick Cheney had been killed in Afganistan?

That's cause most liberals agree that with Maher. Why would they decry a statement they disagree with?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 08:01 am
Bill Maher is a Libertarian, not a Liberal. And neither of you, apparently, actually saw the show in question or you would know what he did or did not say. I would wager, btw, that he would defend Ann's right to say what she said.

There is actually a parallel in these two examples, but not much of one. Ann Coulter (a public figure who is revered by the right and invited to things like a cpac conference, I can only hope for entertainment purposes) calls John Edwards a faggot and conservatives, rightly (no pun intended), disavow her. Some presumably leftist citizens (read, no political or public clout) post comments on Arianna Huffington's blog about wishing Dick Cheney had been killed, and she takes the comments down, thereby silencing them. In both cases, people are rejecting this kind of talk, which is a good thing. But they are not identical cases.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 08:11 am
McGentrix wrote:
woiyo wrote:

That's cause most liberals agree that with Maher. Why would they decry a statement they disagree with?

Like FreeDuck, I thought that the "wishing Cheney had been killed" thing was about anonymous posters commenting on Huffington's blog - not about Bill Maher publicly declaring so. And anonymous individual blog commenters Not Equal Ann Coulter.
0 Replies