I quit taking my meds

CowDoc

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 10:04 pm
Miller, as Noddy says, we have a lot of life flights out of town. My wife did a really good job of being stoic when she overheard my physician tell his nurse he was just trying to keep me alive long enough for the life flight to get there. As far as the hand swelling, the only thing we all agreed on was that it had to be a hypersensitivity reaction to one of the drugs. The nurse practitioner sad lisinupril was the most likely culprit, so I stopped it and the swelling eventually went down, never to return. Seems to me that that pretty well confirms the diagnosis.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:19 am
Quote:
As far as the hand swelling

Hand swelling but not feet swelling?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 06:42 pm
update---saw a new doc today (a 50 miles drive one way) my BP was 193 over 137 so I guess I do need HT meds. She made me promise to go immediately to the pharmacy and get new meds otherwise she would check me into the hostpital(1) Lovastatin 20mg (2) Benazepril 10 mg (3) continue the Atenolol 50mg. She also discontinued the Coumadin which she said was only meant to be taken for 6 monts post stroke. I see her again in 2 weeks and get blood levels done next week.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 06:45 pm
GOOD!

So glad you saw a doc.

Sorry she's so far away.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 07:15 pm
dyslexia wrote:
update---saw a new doc today (a 50 miles drive one way) my BP was 193 over 137 so I guess I do need HT meds. She made me promise to go immediately to the pharmacy and get new meds otherwise she would check me into the hostpital(1) Lovastatin 20mg (2) Benazepril 10 mg (3) continue the Atenolol 50mg. She also discontinued the Coumadin which she said was only meant to be taken for 6 monts post stroke. I see her again in 2 weeks and get blood levels done next week.

Oh hallefackingluljah.

Sounds like you might have a reasonable doctor.

Thank goodness....with hypertension like that...well, please take the bloody pills dollink!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 07:38 pm
Thank you dys!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 07:44 pm
I'm surprised she persevered with lovastatin, when there are more effective statins around. I suspect there's a considerable price differential, though, sadly.

Thank God for the Australian PBS system. Stuff the US Free Trade Agreement that wants to dismantle it.

The US health system sucks. (unless you have money!)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 08:02 pm
Bp has dropped over 60 in 3 hours (Sys) from 193 to current 132
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 08:06 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Phew.

But what about diastolic?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 08:18 pm
Dys
dyslexia wrote:

If you don't start behaving yourself, I'm going to drive over and smack you along side your head. I also will bring Dolly and Madison over to fight with Sally Dog. It's not worth it so keep that blood pressure down where it belongs.

BBB Mad
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 08:32 pm
dlowan wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Phew.

diastolic 87, pulse 90
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 09:46 pm
Dys-
I've been reading along nervously. Glad to hear you have had things checked out and you BP is down. Take care!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 10:45 pm
dyslexia wrote:
dlowan wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Phew.

diastolic 87, pulse 90

Gettin' there!

Is your pulse normally so fast?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 10:49 pm
I used to take a more expensive BP med than lovastatin. Couldn't afford it, so I switched. I take lovastatin with a diuretic. It seems to be working. That doesn't seem so fast to me pulsewise.

Dys, I'm very glad you saw another doctor. This one sounds like a keeper. Hope your general feeling of ookiness goes away and stays away.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:21 am
I stared my new meds about 3:30 p.m. yesterday. I woke this morning about 2;30 a.m. with severe gas pains, got up and fixed a cuppa tea and smoked a cigarette in the garage. Now feeling good again. (It might have been the 1/2 loaf of french bread or the hot and spicy Italian sausage grinder I had for dinner) My new doc rides a motorcycle which impresses me, she actualy talked and listened to what I had to say. I've lost 37 lbs in the 3 years since my stroke (I can now stand sidewise, stick out my tongue and I look like a zipper.) The clinic she works at has a deal with a local pharmacy so my meds cost a total of $12 instead of the nearly $100 I was paying.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:29 am
dyslexia wrote:
I stared my new meds about 3:30 p.m. yesterday. I woke this morning about 2;30 a.m. with severe gas pains, got up and fixed a cuppa tea and smoked a cigarette in the garage. Now feeling good again. (It might have been the 1/2 loaf of french bread or the hot and spicy Italian sausage grinder I had for dinner) My new doc rides a motorcycle which impresses me, she actualy talked and listened to what I had to say. I've lost 37 lbs in the 3 years since my stroke (I can now stand sidewise, stick out my tongue and I look like a zipper.) The clinic she works at has a deal with a local pharmacy so my meds cost a total of $12 instead of the nearly $100 I was paying.

Thank goodness.

I cannot express how good it is to hear this.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:35 am
dys- All I can say is "whew"! With the kind of bp that you had, your body was ripe for all manner of mischief. I am so glad that you have a doc that you trust, and knows what the hell she is doing!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:46 am
Glad things seem to be workin, Dys. Love the zipper image. Thanks for that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:51 am
Checking in and reading up on my fav. Looks like you got a handle on it. Here's hoping for good times ahead.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:55 am
Dys-
I take bp and an anti-anxiety med, so I have more than a passing interest. If you would be so kind (and so I don't have to read back thru the thread), could you tell me which med you identified as the culprit?
0 Replies