I quit taking my meds

Roberta

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 05:43 am
Not gonna offer any advice, dys. But the thread title makes me noivous.

That's it. I'm outta here.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:10 am
it is the coumidin and the diuretic combination that is making you feel like ****.

sorry

nothing you can do about that combo but stop taking one.

OR take the blood thinner every OTHER day, still gives you the same effect. Just avoid heavy oily food a bit more and you should be just fine...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:17 am
ummmmm dys Meds (in Oz) are....

<puts hand over mouth and whispers>

womens sanitary products.

I'm glad you stopped taking 'em people would think you were weird if they found out.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:20 am
Are you saying... Dadpad...

that people take the time to look for each others vaginal plugs?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:25 am
Holding breath for Dys........

What about the headaches, Dys?????
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:44 am
Hmm, as all those medical educated people here have already expressed their opinion ...

As a layman, having had an interior doctor as father and trying to supervise the medication of my mother after her stroke: my mother gets her medication both from her family doctor (inetrior) and her neurologist with me as postman in between, and day-care nurses and me to watch what happens when and in case if ...

I would have done it the way you, dys, did it but either what Miller said and just tried one ...

The easiest and less dangerous would be just to try some different "pills" with the same effects - wouldn't work from one day to the other, but over a period ?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 06:46 am
Well, I would never recommend that anyone just stop their meds, but the illnesses you have are very effected by lifestyle and diet. You could look into more alternative natural treatments and stop eating things like Velveeta and Little Debbie cakes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:38 am
dys- I agree that you need to see a cardiologist. My friend is on coumadin, and she gets her levels tested on a regular basis. Also, if you take coumadin, you have to be careful of taking other sorts of stuff, like glucosamine and Vitamin E, and even aspirin, which also have a blood thinning effect.

One of the sites that I like to use is:

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs

You can type in the drugs that you take, and they will tell you about interactions.

This site is good in searching for side effects of a particular medication.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

Many blood pressure meds require that you take a potassium supplement. Some don't. Since you did not say which one you took, I have no way of knowing. YOU should know, though. Lack of potassium can cause electrolyte imbalance, which can be life threatening.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:07 am
ok here's my meds (daily)
(1)Atenolol 50 mg
(2)lisinopril-hctz 6 mg
(3)cumadin (warfarin) 2 1/2 mg
(4)lovastatin 20 mg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:34 am
Quote:
ALCOHOL may interact with WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin)

Warfarin is generally used to prevent your blood from "coagulating" or forming blood clots. Although the cause of this potential interaction is not clearly understood, alcohol (ethanol) may decrease the anticoagulant effect of warfarin. This is more likely to occur when large amounts of alcohol are consumed over a long period of time. Based on information from several studies involving people who consumed small to moderate amounts of alcohol while taking warfarin, this interaction does not appear to cause any harmful effects. However, accidental injuries may occur when alcohol is consumed to the point that it impairs judgment. Because warfarin may increase the risk of excessive bleeding, caution is advised. You may want to ask your healthcare provider about this potential interaction if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Last Updated: May 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin) may interact with FOOD

Blood clotting normally occurs in response to a cut or other types of injuries to protect the body from excessive bleeding. Many substances are involved in the clotting process including various chemicals that are produced in the body like vitamin K. Vitamin K is made by bacteria that are normally present in the intestinal tract and may also be supplied in the diet by eating green leafy vegetables, liver, and egg yolks. Warfarin is generally used to prevent your blood from "coagulating" or forming blood clots. Eating foods that are rich in vitamin K may decrease the anticoagulant effect of warfarin. Other foods may prevent warfarin from being absorbed into the body from the stomach. If this happens, then potentially less warfarin would be available for the body to use and blood levels could become too low. This could make warfarin less effective. To minimize this interaction, it is best to avoid nutritional supplements that contain vitamin K. Also, talk with your doctor about your diet, especially as it pertains to vitamin K containing foods. Some doctors may advise you to completely avoid all or certain vitamin K containing foods while others may tell you to aim for keeping your dietary consumption of vitamin K consistent while you are taking warfarin. Always alert your doctor if you have consumed more or less vitamin K containing foods than usual. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

Last Updated: August 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARFARIN SODIUM (in Coumadin) may interact with LOVASTATIN

Lovastatin may block the breakdown of warfarin by the liver. If this happens, blood levels of warfarin could be increased and this could increase its anticoagulant effect. Warfarin is generally used to prevent your blood from "coagulating" or forming blood clots. When lovastatin and warfarin are used at the same time, your blood may be much less likely to clot and this may increase the risk of excessive bleeding. If these drugs are taken together, your doctor may want to monitor you closely when therapy with lovastatin is either started or stopped. Blood tests can be used to make sure that you are getting the right amount of warfarin. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of warfarin. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is well-documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Last Updated: August 2006

LOVASTATIN may interact with GRAPEFRUIT JUICE

Grapefruit juice may block the breakdown of lovastatin in the intestines and thus more lovastatin may be absorbed into the bloodstream. Increased blood levels of lovastatin could cause a serious or potentially life-threatening side effect that involves the destruction of muscle tissue and could lead to kidney failure. Avoid taking lovastatin with any form of grapefruit, including the actual fruit as well as drinks and nutritional supplements that contain grapefruit juice. Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

Last Updated: June 2006

Link to interactions

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682277.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a601070.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a688006.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a692027.html

dys- Altace is ramipril. There doesn't seem to be any interactions between ramipril and your other meds. Check out the side effects on your meds though.

Self knowledge is great, but only a guide. Please see a cardiologist, and let him go over your meds. A few years ago, my mom was taking a bunch of stuff. She was falling on a regular basis. We changed doctors, who shook her head, and completely changed the regimen that my mother was on. She did not fall after that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:26 am
atenolol=
* dizziness
* lightheadedness
* tiredness
* drowsiness
* depression
* upset stomach
* diarrhea
Lisinopril=
* cough
* dizziness
* headache
* excessive tiredness
* upset stomach
* diarrhea
* weakness
* sneezing
* runny nose
* decrease in sexual ability
* rash
warfarin=
* gas
* tiredness
* pale skin
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:08 am
Dys
Dys, have you ever considered that it's just The Lady Diane's cooking?

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:15 am
roger wrote:
...I notice, with pleasure, that no one has yet jumped in to criticise your decision.

Let me be the first.
I think doing this unless under a doctor's supervision is stoopid.

Carry on, as 'KO would say.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:50 am
dyslexia wrote:
atenolol=
* dizziness
* lightheadedness
* tiredness
* drowsiness
* depression
* upset stomach
* diarrhea
Lisinopril=
* cough
* dizziness
* headache
* excessive tiredness
* upset stomach
* diarrhea
* weakness
* sneezing
* runny nose
* decrease in sexual ability
* rash
warfarin=
* gas
* tiredness
* pale skin

While it's nice to see the above list, one must remember that most patients do not encounter most of the side effects reported. In fact, most patients do not suffer an adverse reaction to most medications.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:03 am
dyslexia wrote:
ok here's my meds (daily)
(1)Atenolol 50 mg
(2)lisinopril-hctz 6 mg
(3)cumadin (warfarin) 2 1/2 mg
(4)lovastatin 20 mg

Are you saying that your lisinopril is 6 mg? That doesn't sound like the correct dosage, as it's usually 5-10-20 mg etc.

Lovastatin is used to reduce cholesterol leves, coumadin is used to prevent blood coagulation.

Are both the atenolol and lisinopril being used to lower your blood pressure? If so, do you take your blood pressure each day and record it? If so, what is your current blood pressure.

Could your blood pressure be too low?

By the way, the diruetic you're using does reduce your potassium levels and you may need a potassium supplement. You'll need a blood analysis to get your current postassium levels and to determine whether in fact, you do need a potassium supplement.

Conclusion:

1. potassium supplement may be needed.

2. blood pressure should be monitored daily.

3. Your blood pressure may be too low and perhaps one of your BP meds may be have to be dropped.

( I've assumed the beta-blocker ( atenolol is used to control your BP).

Good luck and be sure to see your physician about your concerns.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:17 am
Here's some links re coumadin interactions - watch out for over the counter stuff too, as there is aspirin in alka seltzer and some interactions with anti gas products.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/coumadin1.pdf

http://www.ptinr.com/data/pages/section.aspx?z=3

on antacids with coumadin
http://www.ptinr.com/data/templates/article.aspx?a=65&z=24

http://www.alkaseltzer.com/as/as_original.htm

I'd think you shouldn't be waiting to see a doctor but do this checking with your md's guidance.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:10 pm
That's a hefty dose of atenolol.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:44 pm
I think that combination may not be optimal. Might be time for a review.

Agree with Miller - list of side effects doesn't mean everyone gets all of them. But, risk increases with each additional drug.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:53 pm
I hate to even say this, but have you contemplated the VA? Just for free doctor care...

I'm already under the doghouse.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:08 pm
margo wrote:
But, risk increases with each additional drug.

Compared to the risks of not taking them?
0 Replies