I quit taking my meds

Roberta

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:57 pm
Hey, I take Lisinopril. I also take (daily) Singulair, Lovastatin, Hydrochlorthiazide, and prescription Potassium. I have two daily inhalers, Advair and Spiriva. I also take some over-the-counter stuff that used to be prescription. And I have two kinds of inhalers I take when needed.

Some days I feel terrible. Some days I don't. Could be the side effects of all that medication. Could be I'm just having a bad day. Don't know.

Still noivous that you stopped taking your meds.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:40 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
margo wrote:
But, risk increases with each additional drug.

Compared to the risks of not taking them?

Good point, Walter.

All medicines have risks and benefits. We hear so much about the risks, side effects, that we don't tend to weigh up the pros.

In Australia, there has been some discussion on changing the format of Consumer Medicine Information leaflets to highlight the benefits of taking the drug, as well as the possible side effects. Pharmacists apparently consider this a much better balanced approach than the currently available CMI.

(disclaimer: I work in this industry) (CMIs are my life - sorta...)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:47 am
Wow Dys!
I wish I had something constructive to offer outside of my personal support for your wellbeing.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:03 am
well, I'm not sure at all what this means but the lady Diane has referred me to her allopathic/m.d(?) so I will be trying a new doc soon.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:05 am
Beware of anything with a "path" in the name.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:06 am
Ok.

Cj has a point.

homeo pathic work can only go so far.
But your a smart one Dys.. I wont worry bout'ya too much..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:10 am
That last comment was something my mother taught me. She's fanatical about medical care and always seems to find the best practitioners wherever she goes.

Then again, we both are fans of acupuncture. Go figure.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:55 am
dyslexia wrote:
well, I'm not sure at all what this means but the lady Diane has referred me to her allopathic/m.d(?) so I will be trying a new doc soon.

You really need to see a cardiologist, dys.

Make sure your health insurance covers allopathics if you choose to
take this route, but I would strongly advice against it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:47 am
In case you didn't read the links I put up about coumadin and what can conflict with it, one was very strong against grapefruit juice with it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:45 pm
I thought this was another joke thread as in "Haha, I'm not taking my meds."

I am all for being an advocate concerning your own health care, but who are you going to advocate with if you don't work with a physician?

Be well, Dys.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 01:05 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Good luck!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 01:07 pm
Hey!!! You better not be doing anything dangerous to yourself, Dys!!!

Don't make me worry, ya hear!

Love ya, man :-D
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 01:08 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Well, I meant that as pm but it works as regular. I think Miller speaks knowledgeably on medicine a lot of the time.

Thank you!
Very Happy
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:59 am
Hard to believe, but I'm with dys on this one. I damn near died a year ago December, and after a helicopter ride to Missoula, a stent installation, and a forty-thousand-dollar bill, I found myself on Plavix, lisinupril, atenolol, Lipitor, and aspirin. Within a week, my hands had swollen to nearly twice normal size, so they took me off the lisinupril. (Pardon my spelling - I'm not all that familiar with some human meds) After a month, they discontinued the Plavix. Eventually, I came to realize that I went into the hospital with a cholesteral level of 173, and that the Lipitor was simply SOP. At that point, I dropped myself from daily dose to every other day, then to every third day. When I finish my current bottle, I have every intention of quitting it. I'm supposed to be on the atenolol for a total of two years, and at least it's cheap, so I guess I can spend another nine months on it. By next December, though, I intend to be drug-free again, with the exception of baby aspirin. I have been convinced for many years that - at least in some cases - drugs can be worst for people than disease. And, if not, I keep reminding myself that life is a terminal condition.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 09:34 am
Quote:
Within a week, my hands had swollen to nearly twice normal size, so they took me off the lisinupril.

That's a strange reaction to lisinopril, isn't it? Did anyone offer you an explanation for this adverse effect?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 09:35 am
Quote:
helicopter ride to Missoula

Was that a wise choice?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 12:51 pm
Miller--

CowDoc comes from the Wide Open Spaces. MediVac is a fact-of-life in the west.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:57 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Miller--

and there's no flying doctor service, as there is here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:14 pm
CowDoc wrote:
...I keep reminding myself that life is a terminal condition.

And one that we hope you continue to endure for a very long time. You too, dys. Stay well, both of you!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 12:11 am
margo wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:
Miller--

and there's no flying doctor service, as there is here.

In some parts of Maine, upper north , I think the pharmacist has to be flown in and actually fills the role of an MD.
0 Replies