Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:52 pm
It's because no one wants to participate in the other thread so you bring to a more popular thread in hopes of getting some face time. If the thread is interesting, as this one is, then it gets lots of participation. Bringing other threads that aren't getting the time you expect to another thread though is just stupid though.

That seems to be the case here as you imported the topic of a different thread here. Why not just discuss it on the other thread instead of polluting this one?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:56 pm
Thomas wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It doesn't make sense b/c the spending cuts hurt members of our society - and this has actual evidence - whereas the tax cuts show no evidence whatsoever of helping society in any way.

Assuming that taxes are cut by the same amount as spending, the redistribution will always hurt some members of society and benefit other members of society -- by the same dollar amount. That's why I said: whether you like the whole thing or not will depend on your preferred distribution of income. But "my preferred distribution of income looks different" isn't the same as "it doesn't make sense." And when you diagnose your political opponents with mental conditions, it will only make people question your own conception of "sense", not your opponents'.

Maporsche's objection is apt though: taxes and spending weren't cut by the same amount.

As, outside of a theoretical lab, taxes and spending are never cut by anything close to the same amount, I didn't even feel it necessary to bring up this component of the foolishness that is supply-side economics.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:11 pm
McG, Are you the decider of which posts are pollution? How big is your head? LOL
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:36 pm
Quote:
I understand that many Republicans never met a spending cut they didn't like, but I don't subscribe to that particular brand of lunacy.

But by the same token,there is almost no such thing as a tax hike that a dem doesnt like.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
McG, Are you the decider of which posts are pollution? How big is your head? LOL

I thought bush was the decider.... does he have deciders helpers like Santa?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:39 pm
ci,
Your own graph shows that federal revenues have skyrocketed since the Bush tax cuts.
Even you cant deny that.

The problem is,spending has also gone up,on that we agree.

But,the argument that federal revenues have not gone up has been shot down by your own post.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:42 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
BTW, Have you benefited from Bush's tax cuts, because he claimed our economy will benefit from "more investments?"

Yes,I have.
My income has almot doubld,my home interest rate has gone down,my investments are doing quite well,and I have more cash to spend as I see fit.
Also,my overall tax bill has gone down.
So,yes I have benefitted greatly.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 05:37 pm
Has anyoneelse noticed that the House of Reps has not yet worked a full 5 day work week?

When they were sworn in,that was one of their major promies,butthey havent done it yet.
According to their own published schedule,they are only working 3 days this week...

http://www.house.gov/house/floor/thisweek.htm

Didnt they promise to work a full week,EVERY week?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 05:38 pm
mysteryman wrote:
ci,
Your own graph shows that federal revenues have skyrocketed since the Bush tax cuts.
Even you cant deny that.

'Skyrocketed?' Not really. The rate of growth is not significantly higher than other expansionary periods. And the amount of debt has skyrocketed. Due to compound interest, this more than invaldiates any large gains in the rate of federal revenues - so much more is going to pay for the interest now, it's scary.

Quote:

The problem is,spending has also gone up,on that we agree.

But,the argument that federal revenues have not gone up has been shot down by your own post.

Federal revenues have not gone up more than in any other expansionary period, and for several years they didn't rise at all after the first round of Bush tax cuts.... if you want to own '06 and '05 as good years, you should own up to earlier bad ones too.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 05:48 pm
mysteryman wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
BTW, Have you benefited from Bush's tax cuts, because he claimed our economy will benefit from "more investments?"

Yes,I have.
My income has almot doubld,my home interest rate has gone down,my investments are doing quite well,and I have more cash to spend as I see fit.
Also,my overall tax bill has gone down.
So,yes I have benefitted greatly.

I haven't experienced a doubling of income because the Bush economy has created such an economic boom in this area that I was able to quit my 60+ hour a week job and go into business full time for myself which provides a much less stressful environment and affords me free time and a personal life which I didn't have much of before. But I make close to the same amount of income.

Ditto on investments doing well and the reduced tax burden gives me and everybody else more expendable income which is one reason the economy is booming.

Do I want to see higher taxes? On anything? No way.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 05:50 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Has anyoneelse noticed that the House of Reps has not yet worked a full 5 day work week?

When they were sworn in,that was one of their major promies,butthey havent done it yet.
According to their own published schedule,they are only working 3 days this week...

Are you, in your usual fair and balanced manner, trying to draw a comparsion to this group, MM?

Quote:

"They call it the Tuesday to Thursday Club," said Rep. Jim Cooper, D-Tenn. "That means you get here Tuesday night, you have a few easy votes, you vote on Wednesday and then you go back home Thursday afternoon. And that, believe it or not, is considered a work week in Washington."

Rank-and-file members of Congress earn $165,200 a year, and this year for the first time they took off for a St. Patrick's Day holiday.

Rep. Gene Green, D-Texas, said voters wonder why he spends so much time in Houston instead of Washington. "I've been hearing from people saying they see me more than they do their city council member," Green said.

He said that is one reason Congress is held in low esteem, adding, "poll numbers for Congress are dismally low, in fact lower than the president's." A recent Associated Press poll found that only 25 percent of the country approves of the job Congress is doing.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=1955256&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

You either have no shame or no brains.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 05:52 pm
JTT wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Are you, in your usual fair and balanced manner, trying to draw a comparsion to this group, MM?

Quote:

"They call it the Tuesday to Thursday Club," said Rep. Jim Cooper, D-Tenn. "That means you get here Tuesday night, you have a few easy votes, you vote on Wednesday and then you go back home Thursday afternoon. And that, believe it or not, is considered a work week in Washington."

Rank-and-file members of Congress earn $165,200 a year, and this year for the first time they took off for a St. Patrick's Day holiday.

Rep. Gene Green, D-Texas, said voters wonder why he spends so much time in Houston instead of Washington. "I've been hearing from people saying they see me more than they do their city council member," Green said.

He said that is one reason Congress is held in low esteem, adding, "poll numbers for Congress are dismally low, in fact lower than the president's." A recent Associated Press poll found that only 25 percent of the country approves of the job Congress is doing.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=1955256&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

You either have no shame or no brains.

No,I am not trying to draw a comparison.

BUT,when Nancy and the dems were sworn in,they made apoint of saying that they would work a full week every week.
They havent done so yet,andI am wondering why not?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:31 pm
Paris Hilton and Teresa Heinz are very appreciative of the massive tax cuts for the super rich. The cuts increase the national debt, which will be paid off by your children and grandkids, not us. Things will get interesting when the baby boomers start demanding their social security, Medicare, etc., and find there ain't much money around to cover these. The deficits will really take off then. At some point, people may balk at buying treasury securities, that is, unless the rate of return is quite high. We are bound to be a much poorer country.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:01 pm
Advocate, We're already a poor country by anybody's standard. Consumer debt is the highest in the industrialized world.

Here's the graph on per-person-debt in the US.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/debt-total-per-person.gif

How much longer does anybody think we can sustain this debt ratio?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:27 pm
CI, thanks for making me even more depressed about the economy.

I am hoping that my congressman, John Spratt, the House Budge chairman, will bring congress to its senses. He is all about balancing the budget.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 01:36 am
I see from figures published this morning in The Independent, Mr Bush's so-called "War on Terror" is having a counter-productive effect.

Now who would have thought that would happen?

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2311307.ece
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:40 am
mysteryman wrote:

BUT,when Nancy and the dems were sworn in,they made apoint of saying that they would work a full week every week.
They havent done so yet,andI am wondering why not?

But, MM, your link is to what appears to be a meeting schedule. Are you drawing a conclusion that the House members are not working if they are not meeting on the floor?

I have only two meetings this week, too, both on Thursday, but I come to work every day.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:46 am
I've been with my state as well as with my federal lawmaker - no meetings at all during that time .... but they were working more hours than most do, during that time.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:51 am
The issue with the legislators is they "are cramming two days' work into five days' right now until the initial work is out of committee so Pelosi has them reporting to the House floor for votes on birthday wishes, sports team congratulation, and other urgent matters. The Legislators think their time would be spent far more productively working with their constituencies to research problems, issues, etc. so that future proposed legislation would could be constructively proposed.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 10:23 am
That may be true, but it certainly wasn't evident from the sparse program posted by MM. I'm just asking for a little more specification is all.
0 Replies