Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

georgeob1

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 02:27 pm
old europe,

Is it your intent to equate the United States with Nazi Germany?

There certainly are many similarities -- we are both technologically advanced states; patriotism is a generally accepted virtue; we both have excvellent universities and very good roads. However, do you intend to imply that our political and social aims are similar?

If that is not your intent, then just what was your point?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 02:32 pm
The Weimar Republic isn't generally seen as or called "Nazi Germany".

What makes you none the less think it is, George?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 02:37 pm
I searched the cartoon and finally noted the date at the bottom 1924". Weimar Republic days indeed. My German is too rusty for me to have detected other symptoms, and I admittedly jumped to the Nazi conclusion.

I retract my observation above, and apologize for the offense it may have given.

However, I still wonder just what in the hell was old europe's point?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 02:50 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
However, I still wonder just what in the hell was old europe's point?

What I take issue with, though, is the concept evident in McG's cartoon - that those voicing dissent with the war in Iraq will be the doom of the troops. That if the war in Iraq is going to be lost, it will not be because of the troops or the Commander in Chief, but merely because of the Democrats in Congress or the leftists in general.

It's the material legends are made of. Until the end of the First World War, the German population had been told, on a daily basis, that Germany was winning the war. That German troops were advancing. That Germany was the superior power, compared to France and Russia. Does that sound familiar, so far?

So, as you know, the vast majority of the population was completely dumbfounded when the emperor and the army announced that Germany had surrendered.

Of course, the result was a legend that attributed Germany's defeat to domestic factors instead of strategic military failures. The result was that, lacking a severe analysis of the quagmire of WWI, Germans happily followed the Nazi party a couple of years later into the next, even bigger quagmire.

What I see happening when people like McG post cartoons like the above one is a severe disconnect with reality, a lacking ability to analyse the strategic failures and the shortcomings of the administration, and a willingness to conveniently attribute the quagmire that the Iraq adventure has become to noone but the Democrats.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 03:06 pm
Backstabbers profess consent, support, and/or approval for a plan or action, and then when the plan or action is implemented do their best to undermine it and/or pretend they never consented to it. The cartoon was dead on accurate in that respect.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 03:08 pm
It's a cartoon in a thread titled Bush Supporters Aftermath. Take your issues and shove them up your a$$.

What I see happening is a bunch of mongrel liberals, that can't stomach people that may think differently than them, trying to shut down any opposition thinking or conversation by heaping their doggerel and scorn about the various threads on this political forum.

I take issue with that and I will post whatever cartoons, op-ed pieces, opinions or thoughts I damn well please. Just as you will I am sure.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 03:10 pm
McGentrix wrote:
What I see happening is a bunch of mongrel liberals, that can't stomach people that may think differently than them, trying to shut down any opposition thinking or conversation by heaping their doggerel and scorn about the various threads on this political forum.

Somebody was trying to shut you down, McGentrix? What happened? I feel sorry for you, really!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 03:10 pm
If the war is going so badly,why dont the dems cut off the funding?
Wouldnt that solve the problem by ending the money for the war?

Also,if we withdraw totally from Iraq,what then?
What happens after that?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 03:14 pm
mysteryman wrote:
If the war is going so badly,why dont the dems cut off the funding?
Wouldnt that solve the problem by ending the money for the war?

Also,if we withdraw totally from Iraq,what then?
What happens after that?

I think it would result in more chaos. I'm opposed to withdrawing all troops immediately. In fact, I would like to see a significant increase of US troops in Iraq, accompanied with a multitude of diplomatic offensives, including, but not limited to: talk/negotiation with Iran and Syria, inclusion of and cooperation with the United Nations, and a transmogrification of the current military adventure into a purely humanitarian intervention.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 03:49 pm
I wouldn't argue too much with that. However, I suggest that morphing the current situation into "a purely humanitarian operation" is neither feasible nor realistic.

For good or ill the political debate on both sides has degenerated to mere hypocritical posturing of the type in the cartoon. There is plenty of blame to go around, but I do note that Bush at least has put forward a clear enough strategy (though many don't like it) while the Democrats have utterly failed to address the tradeoffs directly implied by their specific proposals. Moreover they have not had the courage to address their obvious motives directly.

I think the same is true of our European critics. I have yet to hear any coherent strategy for dealing with either the internal or the external aspects of the confrontation with a somewhat deranged and ourraged Islamic world, which affects them even more directly than us. Europe spent a generation in the shade during the Cold war, focused on healing its internal wounds and becoming a mere critic of what went on around it. An understandable process in view of the circumstances, but a luxury it can no longer afford in today's world.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 04:03 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Europe spent a generation in the shade during the Cold war, focused on healing its internal wounds and becoming a mere critic of what went on around it. An understandable process in view of the circumstances, but a luxury it can no longer afford in today's world.

I suppose many - like me and/or especially the older geration - who have lived during that period (and I was even "engaged" in the Cold War as a conscript/reserve officer) have a different view.

Not to speak of those some hundred Europeans who died by force in those years.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 04:07 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
Europe spent a generation in the shade during the Cold war, focused on healing its internal wounds and becoming a mere critic of what went on around it. An understandable process in view of the circumstances, but a luxury it can no longer afford in today's world.

I suppose many - like me and/or especially the older geration - who have lived during that period (and I was even "engaged" in the Cold War as a conscript/reserve officer) have a different view.

Europe lived in the "shade" of the US during the cold war.
You may have been in the reserves,but Europe knew they were protected by the US military and its nuclear umbrella during the cold war.

Taat allowed Europe to heal itself and become a critic of world affairs.

Now,Europe must start taking an active affairs in the world,and they arent really sure how to do it.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 04:10 pm
mysteryman wrote:
You may have been in the reserves,but Europe knew they were protected by the US military and its nuclear umbrella during the cold war.

Of course, you're only referring to the part of Europe that didn't live in the shade of the USSR and that was protected by the Soviet military and its nuclear umbrella.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 04:18 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Of course, you're only referring to the part of Europe that didn't live in the shade of the USSR and that was protected by the Soviet military and its nuclear umbrella.

What oe said.

Besides that, I became a reserve officer (as rank) only in the 80's - before that I've been for 18 months a normal conscript and later a warrant officer in the 'alarm reserve'.
What we did was generally independent to any US protection and/or umbrella - indeed, I can't remember to have seen many US warships in the Baltic Sea besides as visitors to the Kiel Week.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 04:26 pm
I'm not sure I follow your meaning on that one, old euriope.

I'll agree that the United States eventually became a bit self-obsessed and overbearing to our allies during the Cold war. However our initial actions certainly seemed necessary to contain the expansion of the brutal regimes the Soviets installed in Poland, East Germany, Hungary and all the rest. Democracies aren't as able to sustain large standing armies as are tyrannies, and our initial use of the nuclear trump card was the then only available alternative. We spent a lot of treasure in the attempt to create an effective conventional deterrent in Western Europe, but were very frustrated in that effort by the policies of France in particular, and the general failure of most NATO countries (Germany excepted) to live up to their NATO committments.

There finally was an awful similarity and equivalence to both sides in the Cold War nuclear standoff. However I believe it is wrong to imply there were any other aspects to that equivalence.

We certainly did all we could to foster the reemergence and eventual reunification of Germany during that period, and while self-interest was surely the dominant motive, we were a bit less selfish and domineering about it than indicated in the historical norms as I understand them.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:04 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's a cartoon in a thread titled Bush Supporters Aftermath. Take your issues and shove them up your a$$.

I take issue with that and I will post whatever cartoons, op-ed pieces, opinions or thoughts I damn well please. Just as you will I am sure.

Noted, that Bush supporters are content to post cartoons that are illogical, unfunny, dishonest and pigheaded.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 10:50 pm
old europe wrote:
What I take issue with, though, is the concept evident in McG's cartoon - that those voicing dissent with the war in Iraq will be the doom of the troops. That if the war in Iraq is going to be lost, it will not be because of the troops or the Commander in Chief, but merely because of the Democrats in Congress or the leftists in general.

It's the material legends are made of. Until the end of the First World War, the German population had been told, on a daily basis, that Germany was winning the war. That German troops were advancing. That Germany was the superior power, compared to France and Russia. Does that sound familiar, so far?

So, as you know, the vast majority of the population was completely dumbfounded when the emperor and the army announced that Germany had surrendered.

Of course, the result was a legend that attributed Germany's defeat to domestic factors instead of strategic military failures. The result was that, lacking a severe analysis of the quagmire of WWI, Germans happily followed the Nazi party a couple of years later into the next, even bigger quagmire.

What I see happening when people like McG post cartoons like the above one is a severe disconnect with reality, a lacking ability to analyse the strategic failures and the shortcomings of the administration, and a willingness to conveniently attribute the quagmire that the Iraq adventure has become to noone but the Democrats.

In fact Germany did not surrender in 1918. The combatants signed an Armistice. Subsequently the German government fell, the Kaiser departed the scene and Germany's ability to continue resistance was greatly reduced. All this happened subsequent to Germany's near complete victory in the East and the very favorable treaty that concluded the war with Russia. The Allies then unilaterally turned the Armistice into a surrender and concluded the "war to end all wars" in a peace that ended all peace. I believe that, even more than the sudden collapse of the government, sowed the seeds for future trouble.

Despite the setbacks in Iraq and the errors now evident in our strategy, the issue is not yet lost. The time scale for transformations such as the one we have been attampting is a decade or more. The path forward is difficult and uncertain, but with a likelihood of success. The path advocated by the Democrats has only one outcome - very bad both in the short abd the long term. It is very demoralizing to those involved in the fighting and struggle - I can testify to that from analogous experience. However the real failing of the bemocrats, what is most devastating to those who have sacrificed, is that they have offered nothing to replace the fundamental strategy they are casting aside, clearly for short term political gains.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 11:59 pm
goerge, You know darn well that's unfair; Bush is not one to listen to the expert advise he was given from day one. Most analyst have already determined that this war was mismanaged, and the majority of American now feel it was wrong.

Given these facts, asking the democrats to provide a solution for this mess is attempting to blame the democrats for something they never had any power in stopping or reversing. Bush doesn't want diplomacy to work, and he ignores the recommendations by the Iraq Study Group.

Be realistic.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:29 am
I saw this from Charlie Brooker, distinguished commentator here, in the weekend paper:

"George Bush is a dangerous idiot who's dragged America's name into the mud, and crapped all over it, grinning as he does so."

I thought this a neat and brief summary, and so share it with you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 09:02 am
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/wplbe/2007/wplbe070221.gif
0 Replies