Bush Supporters' Aftermath Thread IV

mysteryman

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 04:59 pm
oe said...

Quote:
Because Resolution 794 authorised the use of "all necessary means to establish as soon as possible a secure environment for humanitarian relief operations in Somalia".

(You see, there are UN resolutions that issue a mandate for military intervention and there are UN resolutions that don't. It's not such a difficult concept.)

Forgive me,but exactly where does the resolution authorize military force?

A "secure environment" could have been established by paying the warlords for protection.
It could have bee established by providing the warlords with the supplies and letting them give it away.

So there was no actual mandate for military action in Somalia,just "to establish as soon as possible a secure environment".

There were many ways that could have been done.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:01 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You can go on this way for years, OE. Believe me.

It would have been far easier to admit that Annan made the statement, but that the UN hasn't passed a resolution or taken any action based upon said statement, which makes it hollow.

Of course, that would have meant admitting error. Why is that so difficult for you to do? It wasn't even a main point of your argument and the whole sidetrack could have been avoided. I honestly don't understand.

Cycloptichorn

I have said that and said that and SAID that. But some can't seem to have a conversation based on what is said. They have to make it into something that wasn't said.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:02 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

It would have been far easier to admit that Annan made the statement, but that the UN hasn't passed a resolution or taken any action based upon said statement, which makes it hollow.

Of course, that would have meant admitting error. Why is that so difficult for you to do? It wasn't even a main point of your argument and the whole sidetrack could have been avoided. I honestly don't understand.

Cycloptichorn

I have said that and said that and SAID that. But some can't seem to have a conversation based on what is said. They have to make it into something that wasn't said.

I think maybe that there's some misunderstanding about what you said, then, because there seems to be a perception that you didn't say that. Let me go back and look and perhaps we can clear this whole thing up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:03 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Exactly. We're all pretty much in agreement that there was no resolution condemning the United States or the invasion of Iraq, and it's very likely that there will never be one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:04 pm
It's becoming a little bit clearer now, but doesn't negate the statement made by Annan.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:06 pm
mysteryman wrote:
oe said...

Quote:
Because Resolution 794 authorised the use of "all necessary means to establish as soon as possible a secure environment for humanitarian relief operations in Somalia".

(You see, there are UN resolutions that issue a mandate for military intervention and there are UN resolutions that don't. It's not such a difficult concept.)

A "secure environment" could have been established by paying the warlords for protection.
It could have bee established by providing the warlords with the supplies and letting them give it away.

So there was no actual mandate for military action in Somalia,just "to establish as soon as possible a secure environment".

I agree, mysteryman. There were many ways that a "secure environment for humanitarian relief operations in Somalia" could have been established, and the resolution allowed for all of them. Including military means. That's pretty much what is meant by "all necessary means".

And what's your question?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:09 pm
mysteryman wrote:
oe said...

Quote:

Exactly. And while most UN resolution are pretty ambiguous (and toothless), the resolutions dealing with Iraq demanded that he comply. All 14 of them. And there probably would have been 14 more if there had been no invasion.

I have yet had one liberal bush-basher admit that continuing the sanctions would have been horribly cruel and unconscionable once we got in there and saw what they were doing to people. They go right ahead and make the argument that Saddam was contained and harmless. What difference did it make if Saddam and his European cronies, including some in the UN, were getting filthy rich off the OFF monies the people weren't seeing? Or that our peacekeepers in the no fly zone were being regularly shot at? Or that the 9/11 Commission, Duelfer, and others were all in agreement that Saddam would have resumed his WMD program the minute the sanctions were lifted.

Again, with some historical distance to provide perspective, we may conclude the invasions was a really dumb move. I'll leave that to history to sort out.

Right now my interest is in leaving things much improved. And we won't do that if we cut and run just because we picked something really hard to do.

And here's the opening phrases of Resolution 1440:

Quote:
[Adopted as Resolution 1441 at Security Council meeting 4644, 8 November 2002]

The Security Council,

Recalling all its previous relevant resolutions, in particular its resolutions 661 (1990) of 6 August 1990, 678 (1990) of 29 November 1990, 686 (1991) of 2 March 1991, 687 (1991) of 3 April 1991, 688 (1991) of 5 April 1991, 707 (1991) of 15 August 1991, 715 (1991) of 11 October 1991, 986 (1995) of 14 April 1995, and 1284 (1999) of 17 December 1999, and all the relevant statements of its President,

Recalling also its resolution 1382 (2001) of 29 November 2001 and its intention to implement it fully,

Recognizing the threat Iraq's non-compliance with Council resolutions and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and long-range missiles poses to international peace and security,

Recalling that its resolution 678 (1990) authorized Member States to use all necessary means to uphold and implement its resolution 660 (1990) of 2 August 1990 and all relevant resolutions subsequent to resolution 660 (1990) and to restore international peace and security in the area,

Further recalling that its resolution 687 (1991) imposed obligations on Iraq as a necessary step for

See any similarity in this and in the wording in Resolution 794? If the wording in Resolution 794 'authorized military intervention', how does the wording in Resolution 1440 not authorize military intervention?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:19 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Again.....since you again seem to be deliberately avoiding discussing any arguments I make......I ask you: Are you then saying that you believe Kofi Annan IS the United Nations and has full power to speak for it;

Of course. That's pretty much the job description of a UN Secretary General. Who else do you think has full power to speak for the United Nations if not the Secretary General?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:23 pm
I see. Then if Kofi Annan has the authority to state what is and is not legal, then so does George W. Bush (however absurd such notion is.) So get off his back.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:24 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
oe said...

Quote:

Exactly. And while most UN resolution are pretty ambiguous (and toothless), the resolutions dealing with Iraq demanded that he comply. All 14 of them. And there probably would have been 14 more if there had been no invasion.

I have yet had one liberal bush-basher admit that continuing the sanctions would have been horribly cruel and unconscionable once we got in there and saw what they were doing to people. They go right ahead and make the argument that Saddam was contained and harmless. What difference did it make if Saddam and his European cronies, including some in the UN, were getting filthy rich off the OFF monies the people weren't seeing? Or that our peacekeepers in the no fly zone were being regularly shot at? Or that the 9/11 Commission, Duelfer, and others were all in agreement that Saddam would have resumed his WMD program the minute the sanctions were lifted.

Again, with some historical distance to provide perspective, we may conclude the invasions was a really dumb move. I'll leave that to history to sort out.

Right now my interest is in leaving things much improved. And we won't do that if we cut and run just because we picked something really hard to do.

And here's the opening phrases of Resolution 1440:

Quote:
[Adopted as Resolution 1441 at Security Council meeting 4644, 8 November 2002]

The Security Council,

Recalling all its previous relevant resolutions, in particular its resolutions 661 (1990) of 6 August 1990, 678 (1990) of 29 November 1990, 686 (1991) of 2 March 1991, 687 (1991) of 3 April 1991, 688 (1991) of 5 April 1991, 707 (1991) of 15 August 1991, 715 (1991) of 11 October 1991, 986 (1995) of 14 April 1995, and 1284 (1999) of 17 December 1999, and all the relevant statements of its President,

Recalling also its resolution 1382 (2001) of 29 November 2001 and its intention to implement it fully,

Recognizing the threat Iraq's non-compliance with Council resolutions and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and long-range missiles poses to international peace and security,

Recalling that its resolution 678 (1990) authorized Member States to use all necessary means to uphold and implement its resolution 660 (1990) of 2 August 1990 and all relevant resolutions subsequent to resolution 660 (1990) and to restore international peace and security in the area,

Further recalling that its resolution 687 (1991) imposed obligations on Iraq as a necessary step for

See any similarity in this and in the wording in Resolution 794? If the wording in Resolution 794 'authorized military intervention', how does the wording in Resolution 1440 not authorize military intervention?

Try reading. Resolution 1440 does not authorize Member States to use all necessary means. Resolution 1440 recalls that Resolution 678 (1990) authorized Member States to use all necessary means. Resolution 678 gave Member States a mandate for the Gulf War, not for the Iraq War.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:25 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
oe said...

Quote:

I agree, mysteryman. There were many ways that a "secure environment for humanitarian relief operations in Somalia" could have been established, and the resolution allowed for all of them. Including military means. That's pretty much what is meant by "all necessary means".

So whats the problem with what the US did?
If you actually READ UN resolution 1441,you will see this part...

Quote:
Recalling that its resolution 678 (1990) authorized all member states to use ALL NECCESSARY MEANS (accent mine) to uphold and implement its resolution 660 of 2 August 1990 and all relevant resolutions subsequent to resolution 660 (1990) and to restore international peace and security in the area

http://www.un.org/Depts/unmovic/documents/1441.pdf

So,if the UN called for ALL NECCESSARY MEANS,then that does include the use of force.
You just said so here...
Quote:
Including military means. That's pretty much what is meant by "all necessary means".
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:25 pm
I think you didn't notice my question. Let me post it again:

old europe wrote:
Who else do you think has full power to speak for the United Nations if not the Secretary General?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:28 pm
mysteryman wrote:
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
oe said...

Quote:

So whats the problem with what the US did?
If you actually READ UN resolution 1441,you will see this part...

Quote:
Recalling that its resolution 678 (1990) authorized all member states to use ALL NECCESSARY MEANS (accent mine) to uphold and implement its resolution 660 of 2 August 1990 and all relevant resolutions subsequent to resolution 660 (1990) and to restore international peace and security in the area

http://www.un.org/Depts/unmovic/documents/1441.pdf

So,if the UN called for ALL NECCESSARY MEANS,then that does include the use of force.
You just said so here...
Quote:
Including military means. That's pretty much what is meant by "all necessary means".

mysteryman, I recommend you practice your reading skills, too. Resolution 1440 does not authorize Member States to use all necessary means. Resolution 1440 recalls that Resolution 678 (1990) authorized Member States to use all necessary means. Resolution 678 authorized Member States to use all necessary means, effectively giving the United States and other nations a mandate for the Gulf War.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:35 pm
OE,
You didnt go an read the link I posted,did you?
I quoted one paragraph,but if you actually read the entire resolution,it was quite clear what would happen if Iraq refused to comply 100%.

They didnt,and they paid the price as authorized by the UN in the paragraph I quoted.
You notice it said ALL SUBSEQUENT RESOLUTIONS.
That included 1441.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:40 pm
mysteryman wrote:
OE,
I quoted one paragraph,but if you actually read the entire resolution,it was quite clear what would happen if Iraq refused to comply 100%.

They didnt,and they paid the price as authorized by the UN in the paragraph I quoted.
That included 1441.

I read Resolution 1441. Resolution 1441 does not authorize Member States to use all necessary means.

Resolution 678 did authorize Member States to use all necessary means. Do you remember what Resolution 678 was about, mysteryman?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:50 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
OE,

That included 1441.

I read Resolution 1441. Resolution 1441 does not authorize Member States to use all necessary means.

Resolution 678 did authorize Member States to use all necessary means. Do you remember what Resolution 678 was about, mysteryman?

Yes,I am quite familiar with 678.
It authorized force to expel Iraq from Kuwait.

But,since 1441 was subsequent to 678,and since 678 authorized force if needed,and since 1441 was quit specific about ALL NECCESSARY MEANS,it can be successfully argued that 1441 allowed force to be used.

And,since Iraq did NOT fully comply with 1441,then they were in material breach and again force was authorized by the UN.

You cannot pick and choose which resolutions concerning Iraq you want to accept.You MUST accept ALL of them or none of them.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:50 pm
mysteryman wrote:
That included 1441.

You know why I ask you whether you've read Resolution 678? Because Resolution 678 mentions ALL RELEVANT SUBSEQUENT RESOLUTIONS since Resolution 660. (Btw, you omitted the word "relevant" in your post. Probably a mistake and not on purpose.)

The relevant subsequent resolutions are Resolution 660 (1990) of 2 August 1990, Resolution 661 (1990) of 6 August 1990, Resolution 662 (1990) of 9 August 1990, Resolution 664 (1990) of 18 August 1990, Resolution 665 (1990) of 25 August 1990, Resolution 666 (1990) of 13 September 1990, Resolution 667 (1990) of 16 September 1990, Resolution 669 (1990) of 24 September 1990, Resolution 670 (1990) of 25 September 1990, Resolution 674 (1990) of 29 October 1990 and Resolution 677 (1990) of 28 November 1990.

Please point out to me where it mentions Resolution 1441 in that list, mysteryman, or alternatively admit that your statement was mistaken.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:57 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
That included 1441.

You know why I ask you whether you've read Resolution 678? Because Resolution 678 mentions ALL RELEVANT SUBSEQUENT RESOLUTIONS since Resolution 660. (Btw, you omitted the word "relevant" in your post. Probably a mistake and not on purpose.)

The relevant subsequent resolutions are Resolution 660 (1990) of 2 August 1990, Resolution 661 (1990) of 6 August 1990, Resolution 662 (1990) of 9 August 1990, Resolution 664 (1990) of 18 August 1990, Resolution 665 (1990) of 25 August 1990, Resolution 666 (1990) of 13 September 1990, Resolution 667 (1990) of 16 September 1990, Resolution 669 (1990) of 24 September 1990, Resolution 670 (1990) of 25 September 1990, Resolution 674 (1990) of 29 October 1990 and Resolution 677 (1990) of 28 November 1990.

Please point out to me where it mentions Resolution 1441 in that list, mysteryman, or alternatively admit that your statement was mistaken.

And 1441 mentions 661,678,686,687,688,707,715,986,1284,and all the relevant statements of its President.

So,1441 did specifically mention 678.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 05:58 pm
Bush wants the democrats to recommend solutions for the Iraq war, but when they do, this is what they get:

Cheney slams Iraq plan advocated by Dems

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent
9 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney on Wednesday harshly criticized the Iraq strategy advocated by Democratic leaders in Congress, saying their approach would "validate the al-Qaida strategy." House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record) fired back that Cheney's remarks were out of bounds.

The speaker said she tried to complain about Cheney to President Bush but could not reach him.

"You cannot say as the president of the United States, 'I welcome disagreement in a time of war,' and then have the vice president of the United States go out of the country and mischaracterize a position of the speaker of the House and in a manner that says that person in that position of authority is acting against the national security of our country," the speaker said.

What a bunch of dorks.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:02 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
That included 1441.

Are you really this uneducated?

You do realize that 678 was written several years BEFORE 1441,dont you?
How can it mention another resolution that hadnt even been written or thought of yet?
0 Replies