Is This a Racist Flag?

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
The passage quoted by Dys suggests both that the flag was adopted at the behest of Pierre Gustave Toutant (known as Beauregard), and that the design had existed prior to this move on his part. I have read that that flag, often commonly referred to as "the Southern Cross" was first used by the Eight Regiment of South Carolina Volunteer Infantry. But who cares? Regardless of the origin of the symbol, it remains a symbol of racists. Get over it.

Maybe in the last 50 years it does.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:12 pm
So, that makes a difference? Once again, it is used as racist symbol, for the good and sufficient reason that it was once the symbol of a racist organization. Whether or not it was so seen 50 years ago has no bearing on its meaning today. Do you think you'll get some kind of prize for making a point that it is somehow not, or once was not, a racist symbol?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:21 pm
It's about damned time you show Set. I like agreeing with you. Hope I did all right filling in. :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:30 pm
Whadaya mean, I was saying the same stuff but in a more ignorant way (as far as the facts). Oh, and I did disagree with the part that those other factors weren't enough to start a war.

But by gum, I knew there was more to it than slavery. I was awake for that part of the class.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:32 pm
Well I agree with Set. Mainly because disagreeing is too painful.

And because

a) he's 'Mericun (so he says)

b) I think any idiot waving the swastika or the confederate flag is perhaps not so ignorant of its signification.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:33 pm
oh yea, you're right Steve.

yes, yes, I do agree with set.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 03:37 pm
Chai wrote:
oh yea, you're right Steve.

yes, yes, I do agree with set.
steady on old girl. this is History not Sexstory. Or even Herstory.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 09:52 pm
Setanta wrote:
So, that makes a difference? Once again, it is used as racist symbol, for the good and sufficient reason that it was once the symbol of a racist organization. Whether or not it was so seen 50 years ago has no bearing on its meaning today. Do you think you'll get some kind of prize for making a point that it is somehow not, or once was not, a racist symbol?

No, I asked a thought provoking question on A2K. Seems like there aren't enough of those these days.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that up until about 50 years ago, it was just the rebel battle flag. At some point in time it was labeled racist by those who like to revise history. In that way, at least half of its original meaning was lost, if it is in fact racist, as you state.

Someone ought to point out there were also free blacks who owned black slaves. I wonder what flag they flew?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:41 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Setanta wrote:

No, I asked a thought provoking question on A2K. Seems like there aren't enough of those these days.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that up until about 50 years ago, it was just the rebel battle flag. At some point in time it was labeled racist by those who like to revise history. In that way, at least half of its original meaning was lost, if it is in fact racist, as you state.

Someone ought to point out there were also free blacks who owned black slaves. I wonder what flag they flew?

So...the rebels diodn't own slaves up until about fifty years ago?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 10:57 pm
Laughing Now you're getting it Deb.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 11:11 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Laughing Now you're getting it Deb.

Oh, I always got it, I just don't see the history as being as simple as you do.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:13 am
I don't think the history is simple at all. There are those who wish to paint it with the broad brush of racism and ignore the rest.

Kinda like the way I and other conservatives are treated at A2K.

OB says I'm racist because I oppose illegal immigration, for example. My take is just the opposite - anyone who supports it is a racist.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:08 am
cjhsa wrote:
I don't think the history is simple at all. There are those who wish to paint it with the broad brush of racism and ignore the rest.

Kinda like the way I and other conservatives are treated at A2K.

OB says I'm racist because I oppose illegal immigration, for example. My take is just the opposite - anyone who supports it is a racist.
Yes, but that's just one of many examples.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:46 am
Quote:

How is a person is suposed to eat breakfast when this kind of stuff makes him choke with laughter at the utter saddness of it.

Quote:
anyone who supports it is a racist.

A vital plank of the KKK philosophy for generations.

Joe(pttootie)Nation
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:07 am
Well then maybe I should apply for grand wizard.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:20 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

Joe(pttootie)Nation

cjhsa never tried to hide his background and preferrences.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:28 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

How is a person is suposed to eat breakfast when this kind of stuff makes him choke with laughter at the utter saddness of it.

Joe(pttootie)Nation

What's really "sadd" is your spelling. Did you learn that in your ESL classes?

The chant of "racism" has become the new mantra of the uber-liberal left whenever they cannot win an argument.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:29 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

Joe(pttootie)Nation

cjhsa never tried to hide his background and preferrences.

Can you stick to the topic or must you work towards that page boundary? Same old A2Krap.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:36 am
Well, since you start teaching English ...

But I know: quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:00 am
cj's a bovi
Laughing
0 Replies