Air America Crashes Burns Franken prematurely ejectulates...

Baldimo

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 12:54 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Sunrock wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Calling Katherine Lanpher shrill is misogynistic bullshit. ...

In my opinion Katherine Lanpher is nasal and shrill. I'm not sure where hatred of women comes into play here. I am not a fan of her voice.

FYI: Roxxxxxanne/Chrissee/Harper/Nikki has accused me of being a misogynist IRL because she thinks my avatar is. Shocked

Why all the name changes? Getting banned or just changing on the internet as one changes in real life? I would call it personality crises.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 01:05 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Franken failed miserably? WTF are you talking about? He rode his highly popular show to a run for the Senate. How is that miserably failing?

Progressive talk is here to stay despite the mismanagement at Air America. So when is Air America going off the air BTW?

He failed at the goal he set for himself, namely to create an effective counter to Limbauch. Rationalizing such failure by redefining the goal (after the fact) is a well-worn excuse favored by many losers. Let's see if he even wins the Democrat nomination - not a likely outcome.

I will concede that progressive talk and many other forms of nonsense are indeed here to stay.

blatham wrote:
george

Appealing to "popularity" is, in a question such as this, a logical fallacy. There is no necessary correlation between it and quality or truthfulness or originality or positive social consequences. Often, the reverse of such desired ends is the case. All that popularity is a measure of is itself.

I agree there is no "necessary correlation between popularity and "truthfulness, originality, or positive social consequences". Indeed there is no generally accepted definition of "truthfulness, originaslity, or positive social consequences" on matters involving public policy. Certainly the history of the modern world can be viewed as a proplonged bloody conflict among competing views of "positive social consequences".

There was no fallacy in my observations. I noted the fact of Franken's commercial failure at Air America, and contrasted it with the observable fact of Limbauch's much longer term success. I expressed the view that in terms of serious content, there was not much to prefer in one or the other, but offered some plausible insights that might explain the observable facts. Do you have a better explanation?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 01:08 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
... Progressive talk is beating right-wing talk in a lot of markets.

I'd love to see those cumes - you must subscribe to a different Arbitron than I'm familiar with.

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods:
Quote:

NORTHLAND BRIEFS
Duluth News Tribune
Published Friday, February 02, 2007

"Air America" went off the air in Duluth on Thursday. KQDS-AM 1490 pulled the network because of inadequate advertising support, said Shawn Skramstad, general manager of Red Rock Radio, which owns KQDS ...
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 02:49 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
... Progressive talk is beating right-wing talk in a lot of markets.

I'd love to see those cumes - you must subscribe to a different Arbitron than I'm familiar with.

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods:
Quote:

NORTHLAND BRIEFS
Duluth News Tribune
Published Friday, February 02, 2007

"Air America" went off the air in Duluth on Thursday. KQDS-AM 1490 pulled the network because of inadequate advertising support, said Shawn Skramstad, general manager of Red Rock Radio, which owns KQDS ...

Here in the Denver Metro area there are to several talk radio stations.

KOA-AM News Talk Information 5.5 5.3 4.8 5.4 (Conservative Talk)
KHOW-AM News Talk Information 2.7 3.1 3.1 2.6 (Conservative Talk)
KNUS-AM News Talk Information 2.0 1.8 1.4 1.8 (Conservative Talk)
KKZN-AM Talk/Personality 1.4 1.3 1.5 1.9 (Air America)

I will tell you that I do listen to Air America everyday. I do flip back and forth between them and usually KHOW because of Michael Medved. I like to listen to Randi Rhodes and Young Turks. They make my laugh.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 06:07 pm
Yeah, the one you mean isn't the same one I was thinking of...

I think Randi Rhodes was shrill and every bit as bad at demagoguing and bullying as anyone on the right.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:18 pm
snood respectability meter in this quadrant soars...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:23 pm
No where to go but up from zero, eh?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:24 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 12:16 am
blatham wrote:
First of all, a sad but thankful tip of the hat to Molly Ivins, one of the great American political humorists and writers who died two days ago. On Pat Buchanan's 1992 Republican Convention speech where he insisted that America was in the midst of and threatened by a great "culture war", Ivins said, "It sounded better in the original German."

Quote:
Well, I know many more people who are familiar with Joyce than are fans of wrestling shows on TV. It wouldn't surprise me if the same applied to you.

At the same time it must be noted that there are fads and "popularity" issues among the pursuits of the so-called intelligentsia as well. J.P. Sartre was once considered as the epitome of contemporary wisdom and right understanding. Now he is easily recognized as a neurotic, misguided (and rather vindictive) manipulator of the public fashion in "new ideas".

I don't think that watchers of TV "wrestling" shows really believe they are indulging in a substitute for thoughtful or intellectual activity. Coarse, overdrawn entertainments have a certain public appeal today as they did in Rome two millenia ago.

I am more skeptical of elitism than I am of public vulgarity.

Of course, YOU know more people who are familiar with Joyce than with wrestling.

Good god, george. What "group" do you think you "belong" to?! This is really more than a bit like George Bush pretending that he's just a truck-drivin' ranch guy. You've got a doctorate, you've served at the highest levels of the US military, you've supped with the boys who presently run the US government, you've read more Joyce and Hardy and Tolstoy not to mention history than all but a handful of the people here, your own family has a tradition at the highest level of US politics, and I'd guess it likely you could pop down and pick up a new Jag without much of a second thought. And you are prepared to speak derogations about "elitism"?

On my way through this thread, but I can't help stopping here.

Blatham, you have quite a limited circle of associates if you know more people that are familiar with Joyce than with professional wrestling.

Good for you if this is the case, but it hardly makes you representative of anything approaching the average person.

Personally, I detest professional wrestling, but only because it has squandered its fundamental iconic allure for soap operatic drama.

On top of this, how many of your Joyce loving associates have actually read Joyce?

I would argue that it takes a mind open to the essence of professional wrestling to find the initiative to take on Finnegan's Wake.

Do you really believe that all that can be defined as low culture is without value or profundity?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 12:25 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lash wrote:
Please think of a nation without a slavery history.

But there weren't many doing it after 1776.

And this means?

Actually there were far more "doing it" after 1776 than those that did not.

Every Middle-Eastern, and African nation were "doing it" after 1776.

Every Asian nation, while perhaps not succumbing to a strict definition of slavery, was "doing it."

Your glib response is without substance.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 06:58 am
A bit earlier, Joe put a little neon glow around Lash's wordplay in the thread title. "Ejectulates" was, after all, an interesting choice she made. Which got me thinking that maybe there is a song in here. A song of Lash.

Hejectulates
shejectulates
seems like everyone but
mejectulates
I speculates
that I
need some love

Tall ungulates
short hungulates
skinny boys, any boys
send me tongueulates
Freudyites and Jungulates they know I
need some love

It's been a while, but I ain't gonna cry
gonna take the advice of that Smalley guy
I AM wonderful
there's NUTHIN' I lack
I'm gonna pick myself up
and get myself
back on my back
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 01:04 pm
Your "song" is not applicable to me. Projecting, perhaps? Things tense around the house...? Sorry to hear it, but I must insist you use your own life when unburdening yourself of your lackluster sex life.

What's worse: Air America still failed.

Still, I appreciate more than you can know the glaring example of how desperately you will squirm to avoid a pesky truth. (Allude to her dead husband....that'll teach her.)

I hope I can respond before you have an opportunity to do away with your post.

This is how Blatham responds to a fact he can't reconcile. A colossal effort (must have taken much deliberation and time) (were you salivating...? rubbing your hands together in hopes of making me feel bad that the person I loved had died?) to do nothing other than a masturbatory ad hom.

Well, I understand, blatham. Get what you need where ever you can. Laughing

Ahem

Air America FAILED.

Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 01:19 pm
It seems This March 3, '04 post, from BBB, is the earliest mention I can find of AirAmerica Radio here on A2K. Since then, there have been several threads and many posts devoted to the topic of the new media paradigm destined to set the world of liberal opinionating on fire and unseat conservative talk radio, with optimism and defenses shading a bit ahead of skepticism and criticism. All that aside, the most recent actual "News" on the matter appears to be this:
Quote:
Air America Fire Sale
Documents: Bankrupt liberal radio network to sell for $4.25 million
FEBRUARY 7--Bankrupt and about to lose Al Franken, its marquee star, Air America Radio is set to change hands for the bargain price of $4.25 million, according to new court documents. The sales figure was disclosed in a purchase agreement filed yesterday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York. According to the agreement, the deal between Air America's owner, Piquant LLC, and a firm controlled by Stephen L. Green, a New York realtor, calls for Green's firm to repay up to $3.25 million in loans provided to Air America after the liberal radio network filed for Chapter 11 protection last October (the company listed debts of $20.2 million). Green's company will also give Piquant LLC $500,000 and pay off up to $500,000 in network debts (the bulk of which, $349,000, is owed to the network's Manhattan landlord) ...

Does sorta lend an air of piquancy to the term "Flaming Liberals".
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 01:24 pm
blatham wrote:
A bit earlier, Joe put a little neon glow around Lash's wordplay in the thread title. "Ejectulates" was, after all, an interesting choice she made. Which got me thinking that maybe there is a song in here. A song of Lash.

Hejectulates
shejectulates
seems like everyone but
mejectulates
I speculates
that I
need some love

Tall ungulates
short hungulates
skinny boys, any boys
send me tongueulates
Freudyites and Jungulates they know I
need some love

It's been a while, but I ain't gonna cry
gonna take the advice of that Smalley guy
I AM wonderful
there's NUTHIN' I lack
I'm gonna pick myself up
and get myself
back on my back

I don't know if you had a tune in mind, but the first two stanzas work quite well (with some modification) sung to the Cole Porter song "Let's Fall In Love" ("Birds do it/ bees do it/ even educated fleas do it/ let's do it/ let's fall in love" etc.). And "Freudyites and Jungulates" -- brilliant!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 01:58 pm
That's the melodic architecture, joe. Tah... you're a dependable fellow.

lash

The entire thing merely grew out of your word and the "he", "she", "me" variations that immediately presented themselves. The thing wasn't about you (I know nothing at all about your life) but it was just handy to use you as I did. My only daughter understands quite clearly that I'd toss her to the dogs if a good sentence might emerge from the debacle.

But most particularly, I apologize re your husband. I did not know anything about your status and was not even (but almost) 100% certain on your gender. Again, I'm very sorry.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 11:29 pm
So, um, when is Air America going off the air?

As well as Ed Schultz on the Jones Radio Network and Mike Malloy of Nova M Radio Network, when are they going off the air?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 12:41 am
Come right down to it, Roxxx, that pretty much depends on either the advertisers or NPR.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 07:33 pm
Air America On the Move Update:

Quote:
Radio station abruptly drops liberal talk, adds sports
Joe Amarante, TV and Radio Editor
02/07/2007

Clear Channel Radio changed the content of WAVZ-AM (1300) this week, from the likes of Al Franken and "The Voice" progressive talk to Dan Patrick and ESPN Radio sports talk ...

... Jerry Kristafer, the WELI morning host who is also program director of WELI and WAVZ, said the move was made because Clear Channel's Hartford station, WPOP-1410, is successful with the format.

"It's business, that's what we're here for. ... We think the stations will complement each other," Kristafer said. "ESPN is a brand everyone recognizes. It's a branding thing. You just have to say those four letters and people know what to expect." ...

... Kristafer said just word of the change to ESPN sent station advertisers lining up to buy spots. "From a business model," he said, "it's already successful." ...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 07:53 pm
Clear Channel shutting down an air america station?

Why, I just can't imagine such a thing happening.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 12:09 am
Clear Channel just reversed a planned format change for its Madison, Wi outlet, one of a couple dozen or so AAR affiliates Clear Channel owns, which puts Clear Channel right at the top of AAR's list of AAR's revenue producers. The Madison save isn't unconditional, however; the station (a solid 11th in a town listing 14 stations in its phonebook, 2 of which are low-power college stations) has 180 days from 01/01/07 to find some black ink.
0 Replies