Air America Crashes Burns Franken prematurely ejectulates...

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 05:22 pm
snood

Are you familiar with Sail Away? Nothing he has written is so awash in irony as this song about the bringing of slaves to America
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5k2euahDI

lyrics here...
http://www.lyricsdepot.com/randy-newman/sail-away.html
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 06:20 pm
Yessirree - proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free....
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 02:58 pm
Please think of a nation without a slavery history.

The slaves had slaves.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 03:27 pm
Lash wrote:
Please think of a nation without a slavery history.

But there weren't many doing it after 1776.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 03:36 pm
Don't you think it's ridiculous to quibble about degrees of national bad behavior? I'd think you would.

The US doesn't own slavery. It was a shared ill of nearly every society on the face of the earth from antiquity. Others may point to it, surely. I'm just calling attention to all the fingers pointing in other directions. It's my job. A thankless task.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 04:20 pm
Air America's format was not convincing, and only funny upon occasion. Al Franken had some female sidekick who was shrill. There were too many commercials. The whole approach was kind of bleak. Do you think it had anything to do with it coming out of Los Angeles? A Liberal talk radio show trying to get in the fast-lane?

Perhaps Liberals are better at getting their points across through the arts (Randy Newman) rather than in the talk shows Coulter, Limburg(intentionally spelled this way, no need to correct me) and O'Reilly's have cornered?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 07:05 pm
I know the "sidekick" you meant - and she was shrill. I could no more stand 10 minutes of her than I could of Ann Coulter. The name excapes me, but it really isn't important. Hopefully their revamping will allow them to stay on the air as a counterwight to all the rightwing talkies.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 12:06 am
There is little (based on my limited exposure) basis on which to prefer Limbauch and Colter to Franken and others of his ilk, except perhaps a sense of humor. Franken et.al. took themselves a bit too seriously to have a lasting impact on the public mind. People, even the vulgar masses, are fairly adept at detecting condescension and patroniozing indulgence of the kind so liberally applied by most liberal commentators, who can't seem to be able to shrug off a pervasive aura of self-righteous suuperiority and condescension. For all their bombast and overstatement, Limbaugh and Colter exude an aura of common sense and self-deprecation that is usually missing in the otherwise similaar tirates of Franken & co.

Blatham is right in noting that my limited exposure to both limitss the accuracy of my judgements in the matter. However we are left with the stunning fact that Limbach & Colter have been, and continue to be, commercial and popular successes, while Franken failed miserably. If you don't like my explanation, what do you offer in its place?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 03:50 am
Good morning, everybody, from the UK.

They used to sail ships from Morocco (Barbary Coast) to take slaves in England. How about that.

Common sense radio is never going to be as commercially successful as the shock-jocks. The devil has the best tunes. "Big Brother" gets a bigger TV audience than the Royal Society Lectures, laudable and meritorious though they are.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 04:31 am
Rush Limbaugh, self effacing? Sheesh.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 06:56 am
georgeob1 wrote:
T
Blatham is right in noting that my limited exposure to both limitss the accuracy of my judgements in the matter. However we are left with the stunning fact that Limbach & Colter have been, and continue to be, commercial and popular successes, while Franken failed miserably. If you don't like my explanation, what do you offer in its place?

Franken failed miserably? WTF are you talking about? He rode his highly popular show to a run for the Senate. How is that miserably failing?

Progressive talk is here to stay despite the mismanagement at Air America. So when is Air America going off the air BTW?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:42 am
george

Appealing to "popularity" is, in a question such as this, a logical fallacy. There is no necessary correlation between it and quality or truthfulness or originality or positive social consequences. Often, the reverse of such desired ends is the case. All that popularity is a measure of is itself.

Thanks for admitting your lack of familiarity with this subject upon which you hold your certainties (cough, sputter).
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:49 am
snood wrote:
I know the "sidekick" you meant - and she was shrill. I could no more stand 10 minutes of her than I could of Ann Coulter. The name excapes me, but it really isn't important. Hopefully their revamping will allow them to stay on the air as a counterwight to all the rightwing talkies.

Shrill, and now I recall nasal shrill. I think Al Franken would have been more convincing had he hosted it alone instead of mimicking other radio formats.

Here's an example, Harry Shearer has a very funny Liberal weekly radio show that's been on the air for at least 20 years. Not a lot of splash there, just a show with a loyal following, which includes some good music and good satire.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 08:02 am
georgeb wrote:
However we are left with the stunning fact that Limbach & Colter have been, and continue to be, commercial and popular successes, while Franken failed miserably. If you don't like my explanation, what do you offer in its place?

True. But Limbaugh being self-effacing is untrue. When exposed with a drug addiction, Limbaugh had to do some back-peddling. He acted conciliatory after spending a majority of his porcine career criticizing the "weak" and addicted. Turned out, he was an elitist member. He could have access to an expensive and valued drug: Oxycontin, where as the rest of the tired, hungry and poor had to rely on the Wal-Mart drug Crack.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 09:04 am
Sunrock wrote:
snood wrote:

Shrill, and now I recall nasal shrill. I think Al Franken would have been more convincing had he hosted it alone instead of mimicking other radio formats.

Here's an example, Harry Shearer has a very funny Liberal weekly radio show that's been on the air for at least 20 years. Not a lot of splash there, just a show with a loyal following, which includes some good music and good satire.

Calling Katherine Lanpher shrill is misogynistic bullshit. She was great and has a great radio voice. Her work with Franken, especially The Oy,Oy, Oy Show was superb.

I liked Franken's show especially when Lanpher was his sidekick. She quit to write a book BTW. Progressive talk is beating right-wing talk in a lot of markets. Rush Limbaugh was bankrolled and almost went off the air when his backer's money ran out. He finally caught on after about two years then all the PDs and consultants went looking for Rush Limbaigh clones, thus the wave of conservative talk.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 09:24 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Calling Katherine Lanpher shrill is misogynistic bullshit. She was great and has a great radio voice. Her work with Franken, especially The Oy,Oy, Oy Show was superb.

I liked Franken's show especially when Lanpher was his sidekick. She quit to write a book BTW. Progressive talk is beating right-wing talk in a lot of markets. Rush Limbaugh was bankrolled and almost went off the air when his backer's money ran out. He finally caught on after about two years then all the PDs and consultants went looking for Rush Limbaigh clones, thus the wave of conservative talk.

In my opinion Katherine Lanpher is nasal and shrill. I'm not sure where hatred of women comes into play here. I am not a fan of her voice.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 11:11 am
Sunrock wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Calling Katherine Lanpher shrill is misogynistic bullshit. ...

In my opinion Katherine Lanpher is nasal and shrill. I'm not sure where hatred of women comes into play here. I am not a fan of her voice.

FYI: Roxxxxxanne/Chrissee/Harper/Nikki has accused me of being a misogynist IRL because she thinks my avatar is. Shocked
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 11:31 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Sunrock wrote:
snood wrote:

I wasn't thinking of Lanpher. I was referring to Randi Rhodes.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 11:38 am
Randi rhodes was bad ass.... maybe the best guitarist Ozzy ever worked with...
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 12:38 pm
I have no idea what her name is, but she was Ed McMahon to Al Franken. Oh, jeepers, was that comment too representitive of the Patriarchy? Let's see, then, oh yes, she was the Kathie Lee Gifford to Regis Philbin. Much better.
0 Replies