Air America Crashes Burns Franken prematurely ejectulates...

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 05:49 am
Quote:
The fact is that Franken exuded a certain bitter and vindictive quality that is less present in the material of his more successful competitors. I believe it was the degree to which he took himself so seriously, while often bitterly mocking the views of his opponents that led to his failure.
Having listened to Franken only three times, I made a consious decision that there wasnt anything goin on that was either

1 Funny
or

2 Important

He was never as good on the air as he was when he took Bill Oreilly to the woodshed at an awards show.
The entire AA slate was filled with material that was uninteresting, and, even if they had some good content like originally promised, they never got their logistics in line. There were only a very few stations to carry the signal, so, if youre driving , you could lose signal every hour or so. AA had everything going against them, not the least of which was no clear model. When an entire business venture is booked as " were gonna take an opposite view" thats a sign of an ill advised business plan. I wrote a feedback e-mail two years ago and reccomended that they concentrate on some real entertainment like PBS does. I got a response which was kind of what Im used to when I deal with my local Dem party , it was fairly elitist and generally had no clue at organizaing anything entertaining. Ive since gotten a subscription to Sirius. I can always find something to my liking and I never lose signal from PA into Quebec
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 05:54 am
blatham wrote:
And you are prepared to speak derogations about "elitism"?

Whether George is prepared or not, I never understood what's wrong with "elitism". After all, everybody who wants to can become part of the elite by studying, or starting up a successful business, or working their way up a corporate or government hierarchy. To the extent that we need leaders in society, why shouldn't the leading be done by those who succeed at these endeavors? When the elite is selected by meritocracy, what's the problem with elitism?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 06:20 am
I guess it depends on your definition.

In Webster's online, snobbery is named as a synonym.

Main Entry: elitĀ·ism
Pronunciation: A-'lE-"ti-z&m, i-, E-
Function: noun
1 : leadership or rule by an elite
2 : the selectivity of the elite; especially : SNOBBERY <elitism in choosing new members>
3 : consciousness of being or belonging to an elite
- elitĀ·ist /-'lE-tist/ noun or adjective

As you describe it, elitism is simply the product of a functioning meritocracy - just a logical state of being wherein the cream rises and rules.

As I've always understood the term, its a state of mind that looks down its nose. If one has no problem with snobbery, then I guess there's no problem.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 06:36 am
snood wrote:
I guess it depends on your definition.

Well, I have no carved-in-stone definition, so I'm going by my experience from conversations with Americans. I get accused of elitism quite a lot, and it usually happens when I say things like: "Tons and tons of genetical research show that biological evolution is a fact." The fact that I'd rather trust the scientific community's results than the plurality of Americans (which is young-Earth-creationist) clearly marks me as an elitist for some. That's why I always understood "elitism" in the sense of your definition #1 -- and why I'd rather own the `elitist' label than deny it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 12:03 pm
Re: Air America Crashes Burns Franken prematurely ejectulate
Roxxxanne wrote:
Lash wrote:

Amazing, this article was dug up from December 18th, talk about being ill-informed!

Try keeping up.

It happened.

A past date doesn't negate what happened....I demand that you come up with a better retort. Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 12:11 pm
blatham wrote:
Lash wrote:
This IS funny.

I like to read back to some of our comments way back when and see how progostications pan out.

Air America was hailed as the most wonderful thing since bread--and Franken was poised by a few of our notable liberals as an up and coming star of liberal radio to ride the crest of a great liberal surge.....

It doesn't matter --the date of my entry---Just the facts.

The hysterical one-sided comments were a trip, though. Laughing You need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid, crazy people!

Yes. Good idea. Do go back and find what was said here. And by who. Then we'll compare that to what you "recollect" was said. A little fact/accuracy check and I know you are up to it.

Just get Roxxxanne to tell us where she wrote it....
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 01:03 pm
I'll concede my reference to elitism was vague. I was referring to the usually misguided notion often found among people who make sweeping judgements about others, that their own understanding is superior and that they alone have a perfect understanding of the motives and limits oif those they choose to criticise. Experience has repeatedly taught me that people are often smarter and more insightful than their external limitations suggest. Even wrestling fans can be wise.

I believe there were elements of this in Franken's broadcast failure.

I'm not suggesting that this malady is more common among liberals than conservatives, though the thought has occurred to me from time to time.

Bernie, thank you for the kind image, but you exaggerate my economic and familial status. I drive a two year old Audi, and, though I have lusted after the large Jag, would not waste that much money on an applance. (Though I do have an old Fiat Spyder on which I lavish too much attention). My grandfathers were poor Irish farmers who came here iwth young families: one became a foreman on the Michigan Central Railroad, the other died young, leaving a wife and six children. What came afterwards is just an immigrant's story. I have made it this far just on good looks and a winning personality.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 01:26 pm
Thomas wrote:
blatham wrote:
And you are prepared to speak derogations about "elitism"?

Whether George is prepared or not, I never understood what's wrong with "elitism". After all, everybody who wants to can become part of the elite by studying, or starting up a successful business, or working their way up a corporate or government hierarchy. To the extent that we need leaders in society, why shouldn't the leading be done by those who succeed at these endeavors? When the elite is selected by meritocracy, what's the problem with elitism?

thomas

Of course, the key there is "merit". Whether in a hospital, a business or the military or government or any sphere where competence, knowledge and expertise are required, I'm pleased to have the best in charge. And I certainly have no disagreement with appropriate awards and perks to flow along to them (other factors fit in there too though such as work load, danger, years of study, etc).

But it is very commonly the case that folks who gain elite positions do not merit those positions but have gained them through other factors entirely. There has been a fair bit written, for example, on who has received senior positions working in the Green Zone and merit falls far behind partisan contribution as the fundamental hiring criterion. Or, of course, there is the rather obvious example of George Bush himself.

And there is the very human tendency to seek positions of power and priviledge and then afterwards to set about with the honey and anthill thing for anyone who might move up to challenge the position and priviledge gained.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 01:38 pm
Lash wrote:
blatham wrote:
Lash wrote:
This IS funny.

I like to read back to some of our comments way back when and see how progostications pan out.

Air America was hailed as the most wonderful thing since bread--and Franken was poised by a few of our notable liberals as an up and coming star of liberal radio to ride the crest of a great liberal surge.....

The hysterical one-sided comments were a trip, though. Laughing You need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid, crazy people!

Yes. Good idea. Do go back and find what was said here. And by who. Then we'll compare that to what you "recollect" was said. A little fact/accuracy check and I know you are up to it.

You've failed me. Again. May your mother get blackbug.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 01:47 pm
george admitted
Quote:
Bernie, thank you for the kind image, but you exaggerate my economic and familial status.

In that case, consider all previous invitations to my home as being an unfortunate error.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 01:52 pm
blatham wrote:

In that case, consider all previous invitations to my home as being an unfortunate error.

phucking Canuck, New York, left-wing-loonie, a**hole!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 02:48 pm
Incivility. Damned refreshing in my view.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 06:39 pm
Quote:
Air America Crashes Burns Franken prematurely ejectulates...

Ejectulates?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 11:39 am
I KNOW you get the wordplay, you sexy tease.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 02:00 pm
blatham wrote:
Lash wrote:
blatham wrote:
Lash wrote:
This IS funny.

You've failed me. Again. May your mother get blackbug.

I must remind you... On another thread in a universe far away, you claimed that George "Bushie" Bush had never issued any type of mea culpa or apologized for anything. After the fifth or sixth example of your error, you had still not conceded your mistake.

This frosts my "evidence-finding" interest. I'm sure you understand. (Though, I'm equally sure you won't admit it...) Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 02:35 pm
Lash

While "I'm sure I must have made some mistakes but I can't think of them right now" was, I thought, a tad disappointing, I admit that "Just tell them that I walked into a cupboard" skirted the neighborhood in the same way that Portland skirts Mexico city.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 02:37 pm
"A few words in defence of our country"... Randy Newman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OldToIF5ZGs
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 02:55 pm
Finally, context.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 04:40 pm
blatham wrote:
"A few words in defence of our country"... Randy Newman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OldToIF5ZGs

I watched the whole thing. I've liked Newman ever since "Short People". A sobering thought - the thing about the "end of an empire".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 05:17 pm
Yeah. Aside from being an incredibly gifted composer and lyricist, Newman is also a very smart fellow (likely the first two wouldn't be true otherwise, of course). There's no small amount of irony in this little piece, as in so much of his work, like Short People or Political Science or Lousiana or I Love LA or Toy Story and on and on. He's a truly American writer and America is always there, as subject or background, in most everything he writes. Nearing end of empire is the context in which I now commonly think of America too.
0 Replies