THE US, THE UN AND IRAQ, ELEVENTH THREAD

ican711nm

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 05:09 pm
The views of Coveters are based on their own imaginations without regard to facts, logic, and evidence. They appear to be mesmerized by their perception that since they are persuing equal benefits for all regardless of their individual efforts, skills, and accomplishments, they are privileged thereby to be the possessors of irrefutable truths that it is evil for anyone to question.

One example of their mesmerization, is their devotion to the idea that it's legal for the Federal Government to compel everyone to have the health insurance it specifies, since it is legal for state governments to compel everyone who drives a vehicle in their state to carry accident liability insurance. First, what states have the power to do is determined by their individual constitutions. The federal government has not been empowered to require drivers to carry accident liability insurance. Only individual state governments have the power to require that. Second, the tenth amendment to the US Constitution denies the Federal Government any powers not granted to the Federal Government by the Constitution, and one of the powers not granted to it is the power to compel non-federal employee/retiree individuals to have the kind of health insurance--or any other insurance--the Federal Government specifies.

Another example of their mesmerization, is their devotion to the idea that it's sufficient to criticize only the sources of ideas (e.g., people and documents) to prove ideas wrong, without actually providing rational argument against those ideas.
McTag

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 02:43 am
@ican711nm,

Nevertheless, universal health insurance is a good thing.

But why did you post that here?
spendius

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 06:53 am
@ican711nm,
It is possibly justifiable to argue against compulsory health insurance providing you are prepared to allow people to suffer and die without medical help which was quite normal at the time the constitution was written.

The consensus now is that it is unacceptable. Practical considerations outweigh interpretations of moth-eaten documents however accurate those interpretations are.

What civilised society wants to see scenes in movies like the one in Midnight Cowboy or hear songs like Only a Hobo as reflections on its tone?

If the anti-UHC lobby would come out and declare that greed is their motive we could all understand that. Bringing in extraneous material like the constitution is just a trick.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:45 am
@McTag,
What is not descernable is why so many conservatives are against UHC when their own family and friends are losing jobs and health insurance, and when people with health insurance have inadequate insurance (controlled by insurance companies vs control by the government for UHC), and many go bankrupt from a major illness. Are they all immune from health problems?

Somebody will have to explain this to me, because I'm at a loss.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 01:22 pm
What does all of that debate have to do with Iraq or Afghanistan?
Whatever.
The highest ranking military leader in Germany, Wolfgang Schneidan, resigned today amid allegations of a cover-up of the incident a month or so ago where a German officer called an air strike on what apparently were a bunch of civilians.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 03:17 pm
@realjohnboy,
rjb, Haven't you learned yet that diversions from the primary topic are common and normal on a2k?
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 03:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Oh, I know. But how could a criticism of the health care bill end up on a thread about Iraq? Never mind. I am sure it made perfect sense to the poster.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 03:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,

Sometimes these things have a life of their own for no good reason; and I'm guilty with the rest of 'em.
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 03:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So I can stop googling health care in Afghanistan?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 03:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
Might be a good idea; besides, you must have better things to do on Thanksgiving. My wife, young son, and I went to Black Angus for the turkey lunch; had to bring home half the food and the pumpkin pie; good for dinner.
McTag

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 05:59 pm
@realjohnboy,

Quote:
But how could a criticism of the health care bill end up on a thread about Iraq? Never mind. I am sure it made perfect sense to the poster.

Another one of Ican's. They're all of a piece.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 06:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
had to bring home half the food and the pumpkin pie; good for dinner.

Since when did the contents of your stomach fail to be brought home?

Not only are you unscientific ci but you're a doggy bag merchant as well.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 09:58 pm
@spendius,
You have problem understanding simple English; then you misinterpret what is actually written. You have many problems concerning the King's English.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:22 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
It is possibly justifiable to argue against compulsory health insurance providing you are prepared to allow people to suffer and die without medical help which was quite normal at the time the constitution was written.
Bringing in extraneous material like the constitution is just a trick.

It is justifiable to argue against COMPULSORY HEALTH INSURANCE without being "prepared to allow people to suffer and die without medical help." All that is required is that HEALTH CARE be available to all those who require it when they require it. They can voluntarily, either buy their own health insurance, or let their employers buy it for them, or let private charities buy it for them, or let most hospital or clinic emergency room staffs provided to them for free.

Just because the Constitution is the "supreme law of the land" doesn't mean we can't amend it the way it says it can be amended, if enough people want it amended.

If we abandon the rule of law in America there will be a lot more people who will "suffer and die" with or without "compulsory health insurance ."
spendius

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:53 pm
@ican711nm,
Quote:
All that is required is that HEALTH CARE be available to all those who require it when they require it.

That's what we have. There are no other considerations.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 03:28 pm
@ican711nm,
I saw this in "The Onion", and I thought some here would enjoy it. Ican unfortunately probably won't get it.

LIKE HELL I'M GOING TO LET SOME BLACK PRESIDENT HELP ME PAY FOR DIALYSIS

I take pride in who I am. Always have, always will. I've worked hard my whole life and have never taken anyone's charity, and I'm not about to start now, no matter what. I'm telling you, there's no way I'm going to sit back and let some black president of the United States try to devise a structure to help me pay for the dialysis treatment I so desperately need to survive.

Not over my dead body.

Just who does this Afro-American occupant of the highest office in the land think he is, anyway? Look, I've got nothing against black people, but some of them act like the whole world owes them something. For example, important government subsidies on my dialysis.

You know, I don't recall asking for some black commander in chief to embrace protections that would prohibit insurance companies from dropping my coverage on a whim and operating as if my continued existence on earth were nothing more than a strategic liability. Plus, if I go along with this progressive health-benefits scheme, he'll probably hold it over my head every time I receive vital care with the aid of the government to which I already pay taxes.

Sorry. I've got too much self-respect for that.

Obama needs to know that there's still one American willing to watch his body drown in its own deadly internal toxins rather than have long-overdue reform crammed down his throat.

Fact is, nobody wants some too-big-for-his-britches black president butting in to suggest that everyone, including me, needs to be treated with dignity. Yet this Obama thinks he can just waltz in and and tinker with a health care system that destroys people like myself every single day.

Can you imagine what'd it be like if he weren't just half black?

Seriously, when Obama's done drumming up support for legislation that might allow me to see my daughter graduate from college and prevent me from dying before my 50th birthday, what's next on the agenda? Will he try to keep my life's savings from evaporating in a stock market that operates free of serious governmental oversight? Is there any aspect of capitalism run amok that this guy won't tamper with? Really, Obama, thanks but no thanks. The last person I need help from is some black leader of the federal government in a position to perhaps improve my quality of life.

The worst part is that I'll have to put up with this guy being a black president for at least three more years. I guess all I can do is try to hold out for the 2012 election. Maybe then we'll get a white president back in office. Maybe he'll have the common decency to let me suffer in peace.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 03:49 pm
@McTag,
Inborn ignorance cannot be overcome when it's based on outright racial bigotry.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 04:49 pm
Too many white people justify their coveting what their neighbors have with slander and libel of those white people who oppose coveting what their neighbors have. They support Obamacare mainly because it transfers wealth, and because Obama is brown skinned, and not because they think Obamacare is good for Americans and America.

There are a number of black people (e.g., Herman Cain, Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, et cetera) who oppose Obamacare because they are convinced it is bad for Americans and America. These same black people who oppose coveting are also libeled and slandered by white coveters.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 05:26 pm

(HINT: THE ABOVE PIECE IS NOT ABOUT COLOUR/COLOR)
okie

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:47 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I saw this in "The Onion", and I thought some here would enjoy it. Ican unfortunately probably won't get it.

LIKE HELL I'M GOING TO LET SOME BLACK PRESIDENT HELP ME PAY FOR DIALYSIS

Probably written by a liberal trying to demonize Obama's opponents. Just a guess. It would be typical.